Reggie McKenzie on D.J. Hayden

Raiders general manager discussed the selection of D.J. Hayden Thursday night with the local media:

Q: Was Hayden the guy you targeted all along and you just though you could get him lower?

McKenzie: We targeted him. Now, to pick up an extra pick was a bonus.

Q: What about Hayden appealed to you and how much caution did his heart scare give you?

McKenzie: Of course we researched the health issues. Now, everything we got back from that standpoint was more than positive so it became a non-issue for us in that regard. He’s gonna have to mentally go through it now, that’s the only issue we had. As far as what we liked about him – the guy can cover. Point blank, he can cover. He can find the football so he does what we’re looking for in a cornerback – he’s a good cover corner who can get his hands on the football.”

Q: Did the way he survived the heart scare and pulled through it, did that raise his stock in your eyes?

McKenzie: No, I don’t think it raised his stock. It showed up how competitive and how aggressively he went after it to try to get back to his old self. It showed that but it didn’t raise his stock as far as being an overcomer.

Q: There’s a lot of good 5-11 corners in the NFL but it seems the prototype is taller corners. Can Hayden cover at the NFL level?

McKenzie: Yes. That’s why we drafted him. The thing with him, his man cover skills is what set him apart for us. He don’t lose a guy. He’s quick and he’s fast and he’s tough and aggressive in his play. So, from that standpoint we have zero issues.

Q: If a deal couldn’t be worked out, would you have taken Hayden at 3?

McKenzie: Yes.

Q: Was cornerback a position of need, or this guy too good to pass up?

McKenzie: You guys know me. I’m gonna get the best player. Once we declare our draft board, we’re gonna follow it. We’re not gonna try to fill this need and fill that need and go into the offseason saying ‘We got players that we needed.’ We want to get players that we think make a difference. We want difference-makers, guys that can make plays. And that’s where he was on our board.

Q: Getting a lot of offers for No. 3?

McKenzie: No, in the end, the offers dwindled, and some of the offers didn’t make sense. But this one made sense.

Q: This is a no-doubt pick, right?

McKenzie: Use your words: no doubt.

Q: Any hesitation whatsoever knowing his medical history?

McKenzie: It really wasn’t with me. Had a chance to bring him in, had many conversations, took him out to dinner – just to get to know the guy. We went down to his pro day and had one of my personnel guys take him out. We knew the guy. So researching that part, our doctors did a great job in researching all the medical stuff. So from that standpoint, it was a non-issue. Then when we put on the tape, which is how we make decisions, it became prevalent that that’s our guy.

Q: What can you say about his drive based on what he overcame?

McKenzie: It says a lot for his drive. It says a lot for his fortitude. He’s a want to guy. It says a lot about that but you still have to strap on the pads and make plays.

Q: Picking up a second rounder a priority?

McKenzie: To pick up some picks was a top priority. Whether that would have been a 2? We’re excited to get the two? Absolutely. We didn’t know which way the picks were coming especially from the conversations that we’ve had leading up to it. A lot of the offers didn’t make sense but this one did. We’re happy to get that two.

Q: Is he cleared to practice immediately?

McKenzie: He’s totally cleared.

Q: Nervous waiting to see if he’d still be there at 12?

McKenzie: Yes.I had an inkling that when you lose a player like Darrelle Revis I could see where they would pick a corner. But they went with the other guy and we got our guy.

Q: Who would you have taken if not there?

McKenzie: I’m going to say no comment on that one. When you move back you kind of have guys ranked in the area. We had some guys if our guy wasn’t there we had about five guys we were going to look into.

Q: What is his personality like?

McKenzie: He came across. What I look for is is he approachable. Does it seem like he will be one of those guys that’s going to be coachable and be a worker. Does he really like football? Is he going to come and get after it. He definitely showed that. I already knew the answer by the research we had from his past coaches and all our scouts dig and all that information. You watch him play you can tell the guy loves football. But sometimes you also like to look in a guy’s eyes when he tells you answers and he passed.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• Thec

19 picks = TRENCHMEN

• ENGLANDRAIDER

The Fake ESPN‏@TheFakeESPN10h
    Manti Te’o says he feels confident he’ll be taken in the first round by the Atlantis Unicorns.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

lol

• araiderso

anybody have a link for a best player available list?

• rediaR

Moore will go somewhere around 60.

• Priesttj12

I would LOVE to get Keenan Allen at 42 man there will be some great talent at 42 this could turn out very well. They will have at least 10 players that could’ve gone higher easily.

• Thec

TRENCHMEN= The new ” skill players”

• SnB offense defense specialteams

Jhill,

I hear ya. I just think there were a few “good” dline picks available and they are HARD to fill.

Seems in too many games the raiders have those Tampa type gms where the gm is over no matter what. The Raiders get gashed for loooong runs repeatedly.

I want a tough team. Tough teams block and tackle as a matter of pride 1st.

Corners are an accessory.

• Relentless

I kinda feel that RM failed us on this one. Not enough value “again” for the trade down and then I still felt we could have possibly traded down again for DJ Hayden. To early to pick him up and we had other needs. I just hope that kid can start and keep up with the WR’s for a good 3 mins since we have absolutely nothing disrupting the middle. Houston can’t destroy by himself. And we’ll see if he can even start since we just signed 2 CB’s in Porter and Jenkins. I think we just have bigger needs and RM just eff’d us all over again with his lackluster worthy pick.

• DJ Johnny

504 Raider Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 8:53 pm
    Geno Smith is showing bad character by what he is doing. GMs on cell phones with each other saying “You See”?

What did he do?

• Just Win Baby

Prognisticators and mock drafters relay what they are spoon fed from agents and organizations, period. Thats why so many guys moved up and down the board the last few days, which means Reggie didn’t tip his hand to anyone. Nobody saw this coming. I hope the kid is a baller and I hope we get a DE in the 2nd round. I am surprised, but can’t say I’m disappointed until I see what he can do.

• DaTruth91

I hate to break it to you guys, but I dont see reggie going DT with the 2nd either.

DT’s have the highest bust ability in the top 2 rounds

I see them going TE or Safety.

• mistic666

Relentless Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 8:57 pm

>> porter and jenkins are #2s. DE should be a focus now.

• Dakota

JFB….8 offensive linemen taken in round one…..I thought you could win with undrafted free agents manning the o-line!

• Chris in NY

1. Margus Hunt, DE, SMU
    2. Alex Okafor, DE, Texas
    3. Menelik Watson, OT, Florida State
    4. Damontre Moore, DE, Texas A&M
    5. Manti Te’o, LB, Notre Dame
    6. Tank Carradine, DE, FSU
    7. Geno Smith, QB, WVU
    8. Zach Ertz, TE, Stanford
    9. Jonathan Cyprien, S, FIU
    10. Arthur Brown, LB, K State

Still a lot of really good prospects available.

• rediaR

DaTruth91 Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 8:58 pm

DT’s have the highest bust ability in the top 2 rounds

I see them going TE or Safety.
    ————————
    He’ll go with the best player on his board. DT isn’t really a big need though. I stand by that.

• Dakota

DaTruth91 Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 8:58 pm

DT’s have the highest bust ability in the top 2 rounds

I see them going TE or Safety.
    +++++++++++

Or WR….Reggie is going with need……

• mistic666

Or WR….Reggie is going with need……

>> WR is a need every fuking year on this team.

• Dakota

Did either of the networks show the Raiders new draft room?

• rediaR

I really hope we TANK (Carradine) the season.

• r8eray

Cowboys pick makes me feel much better!

If Keenan Allen is there at #42 I say pull the trigger and take him!

Mayocks Top 100 still available

• Dakota

Dakota Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 8:59 pm
    DaTruth91 Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 8:58 pm

DT’s have the highest bust ability in the top 2 rounds

I see them going TE or Safety.
    +++++++++++

Or WR….Reggie is going with need……
    +++++++

Not when we had swerving Mervin!

• Gdog

AL lives! Fastest CB huh… ok. Hope it works out!

• Dakota

Okay Reggie, you may have gotten the #1 CB in the draft and there are a lot of talented guys left in the top ten of round 2.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

• RaidO

Gdog Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 9:02 pm
    AL lives! Fastest CB huh… ok. Hope it works out!
    —————-

Yup, This was a AL pick.

• Just Win Baby

Who saw EJ Manuel being the only QB taken in the first round? Geno Smith is the new Brady Quinn.

• rediaR

The Al pick would have been staying at 3 and getting Ansah. I wouldn’t have minded that either though.

• 504 Raider

259.DJ Johnny Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 8:57 pm
    504 Raider Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 8:53 pm

What did he do?

————————————————————————————————————–

He left the green room with two picks to go and told suzy kolber he was going home and not coming back tomorrow.

Would have been better to sit there and take it for 20 more minutes and told her see yall tomorrow.

• mistic666

Buffalo could have gotten manuel in rd 2 easily. things could be a lot worse

• SnB offense defense specialteams

Hey Thec!

Gotta keep the vigil going for trenchman.

I feel like I need to start an NGO to keep the plight of getting a REAL raider trench man in the minds of RaiderNation.

• backstageatapuppetshow

Reggie sealed his fate….

You heard it here….

He will not survive another draft…..

He has completely gutted this team and has no clue how to build another one….

Not a clue….

• RaiderFan-n-KC

DJ Johnny Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 8:57 pm

504 Raider Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 8:53 pm

What did he do?

——-

To me it shows a weakness to his character. I understand he’s upset and heartbroken that his name wasn’t mentioned in the 1st and got his 15 mins of fame on stage. But declining the interview and announcing he’s not showing tomorrow shows to me that Geno Smith might end up like Vince Young in Tennessee with the booing fans and the mental breakdown

• mistic666

guess Geno sucks ass

• Dakota

RaidO Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 9:03 pm
    Gdog Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 9:02 pm
    AL lives! Fastest CB huh… ok. Hope it works out!
    —————-

Yup, This was a AL pick.
    ++++++++++++

I wrote years ago that Al probably put the Raiders in a trust that dictated we take the fastest guy on the board in round 1 for the next 20 years.

• RaidingTexas

BRRLLEEECCCCHHHHHH!

Sorry, had to puke on my lap one more time before calling it a night.

Later, Nation.

• Priesttj12

Relentless Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 8:57 pm
    *********************************
    They have the entire draft left to go, you can get some very good players rnds 2-4 he he just needs to make great selections……….period.

• backstageatapuppetshow

Dakota Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 9:03 pm

I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

________________________________

NOPE

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Barrett Jones, perhaps?

• Raider E

We can still get Geno at #42, f*ck that. Is he really going home cause he wasn’t picked?

I was wrong about the kid. Oh well, give me Cyprien or Okafor at #42.

Give Taiwann a chance at RB, DA….

• rediaR

Backstageatapuppetshow Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 9:04 pm
    Reggie sealed his fate….

You heard it here….

He will not survive another draft…..

He has completely gutted this team and has no clue how to build another one….

Not a clue….
    ——————–
    I agree, you don’t have a clue.

• John David Booty

Darren Connolly IV ‏@DConnollyNFL
    Phone conversation w/RB Eddie Lacy and #Raiders GM Reggie McKenzie ended with McKenzie saying how he hopes he’s lucky enough to draft him
    ———————-
    Sounds like Reggies #2.

A CB and a RB in the 1st 2 rounds. Not where I would have went with this team trying to build, but hey, we’ll all see how this plays out.

• DaTruth91

and enough of the draft star statements.

Star should he wasent committed to playing football and only became committed in the last 2 years.

Floyd was just draft hype…. If he was so good, why did so many other teams pass on him.

regarding us not getting great value. Thats Just idiotic. half of the teams have Hayden as the top corner. So you mean to tell me if he was wearing bama’ red you would love the pick???

• inonewordraider

d moore
    j hankins
    or
    z ertz

• Relentless

mistic666 Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 8:58 pm
    Relentless Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 8:57 pm

>> porter and jenkins are #2s. DE should be a focus now.

—–
    I hope so. This kid is still unproven in NFL terms. But if not it’s gonna be a waste when Manning eats him alive. As for DE’s or DT’s looks like RM is heading towards a different direction.

• Just Win Baby

backstageatapuppetshow Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 9:04 pm
    Reggie sealed his fate….

You heard it here….

He will not survive another draft…..

He has completely gutted this team and has no clue how to build another one….

Not a clue….
    =========================
    Yea, the whole draft is a bust now and we still have six rounds to go. Perhaps you are overreacting just a bit…..

• GForce21

504 Raider Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 8:56 pm

If we can get Honey Badger at #42 this draft is an A+ even if Reggie bombs the remaining picks. Best CB and Best playmaking DB would have Peyton Manning getting zero sleep all summer long.
    ———————

With 7 seconds to throw, I really doubt he loses any sleep.

• IGAG

All Reggie did today was get his guy and get another pick. Early 2nd round mind you. Reggie is proof that eating at IHOP makes you smarter. Like sleepin at a best western, or whatever they’re called.

• Dakota

John David Booty Says:
    April 25th, 2013 at 9:06 pm
    Darren Connolly IV ‏@DConnollyNFL
    ———————-
    Sounds like Reggies #2.

+++++++++

That doesn’t sound good for my boy McFadden.

• Chris in NY

If Hunt is gone, I’d be cool with another trade down. Okafor, Kelce, Barrett Jones, Landry Jones … there are a bunch of guys who may be available later in the round, based on pundit predictions, who I’d be happy with in the 2nd.

• Kirk

Disasterous pick.

Reggie is an idiot.

• 00tt00

Reggie picked up the 2nd round which he set out to do. Thats all the dolphins were willing to give up.. Take it or leave it. Reggie is a graduate of University of Tennessee and in the Hall of Fame. Put 18 years with the Packers organization. You are name calling on a blog. Who is the “dumb one?”
    ——
    Part of good negotiating skills is being able to walk away from the deal and getting the other team to want the deal more than you….raiders could have definitely used Jordan, Johnson, cooper, warmack, ansah, star…..all would have been a better selection at 3 with no second rounder………if we used the second rounder on Hayden I would have been ok…..

As far as Reggie smarts….I’m sure every college athlete is smart and they weren’t just there for football….as far as HOF….dont know where the hell you got that from….Reggie was a marginal player