CB Hayden says he ‘saved best for last’ when comes to Raiders

By Steve Corkran
Friday, April 26th, 2013 at 2:51 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Late last year, cornerback D.J. Hayden was losing weight and feeling down as he recovered from a rupture of a vein that feeds to his heart, the result of a freak accident in practice at the University of Houston.
Today, he addressed the Bay Area media as the newest member of the Raiders, their No. 12 pick in the first round of the NFL draft on Thursday night.
“I didn’t even think that I’d be where I’m at right now,” Hayden said in Alameda at a news conference.
Hayden spoke with ease, confidence and humility, saying all the right things and adjusting to a life that has taken two drastic turns within the past six months.
Growing up, Hayden idolized cornerbacks Champ Bailey, Charles Woodson and Darrelle Revis. He also displayed a firm grasp of the rich tradition of cornerbacks with the Raiders.
He called the Raiders “a DB factory” after rattling off the likes of Mike Haynes and Lester Hayes.
Hayden said he has been medically cleared to play football again, though he hasn’t been informed by the Raiders whether he will be permitted to participate in the team’s first mini camp.
On the bright side, Hayden has recovered from his injury, and his mind now is free to focus on football.
“The chances of it happening again are slim and none,” said Hayden, shortly after posing with general manager Reggie McKenzie while holding up a No. 25 jersey with his name on the back. “I’m not really worried about it.”
It’s a far cry from a few months ago, when Hayden said he became accustomed to regular IVs and needle pokes and wasn’t sure he would ever walk again, let alone play football.
The Raiders checked out Hayden thoroughly and liked him enough that they selected him at No. 12. McKenzie said the Raiders were prepared to select Hayden at No. 3 if they hadn’t have traded down with the Miami Dolphins.
“They still got the person they wanted and they got the extra pick,” Hayden said.
Of all the pre-draft visits Hayden had, the Raiders were the last, he said.
“I guess I saved the best for last,” Hayden said.

• The_Judge37

1044.Marks hair Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 6:58 pm
    fúck….. how many times am I gonna have to watch sf take my guys?

for at least 4 more years it seems

• ohioraider

John Vella was white. Maybe Watson is the next Henry Lawrence?

• mistic666

Nice draft so dfar. And I just farted

• redshirt

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 6:52 pm
    Vic Tafur ‏@VicTafur 3m

Sio Moore said he and defensive coordinator Jason Tarver hit it off right away at Senior Bowl; whole family wore black today. #NFLDraft
    **************

FvCKING AWESOME!!

• lefty12

E-more like Bob ‘Boomer’ Brown-I hope.

• Marks hair

no more real strong rushends left…… go down for the clown?

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Apparantly. I have to slaughter a pig tomorrow morning. Any tips?

• redshirt

Kirk Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 6:55 pm
    I think our team already looks better than last year.

And no Gregg Knapp.
    *********

You win the draft with the “no Gregg Knapp” comment.

• mistic666

The Moore pick was genius. Guy willl beast. Damn I sharted this time

• Thec
  • Whoknows

The_Judge37 Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 6:35 pm
    962.RaiderFan-n-KC Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 6:33 pm
    I would welcoming the idea of trading Pryor, We’ll need a 4th/5th round pick to replace the 5th we lost with Aaron Curry.

Please, no more trades from Reggie. He couldn’t talk a drunk college girl in Mardy Gra into showing her T!ts with a fist full of Diamond necklaces.

*******************************
    Worked with DA

• rediaR

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 7:04 pm
    Apparantly. I have to slaughter a pig tomorrow morning. Any tips?
    —————–
    Keep your mouth closed.

• J Hill

OT, CB, OLB

GREAT job.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

No,I don’t mean Tri Tips. I am serious.

• Kirk

I am now officially an optimist.

No Palmer, no Rolondo, no Tommy Kelly, no Gregg Knapp.

Addition by subtraction.

• lefty12

Has anyone else noticed that when they show the teams that draft at the end of the draft the comment goes like ’28 players on the team were drafted by the team’.That is what Reggie is building.Love it.

• mistic666

Defense will. Be A force. Need to shave my ass hair or fade it

• redshirt

Looks like a bunch of fools are leaving for “beddy-bye” time at 7pm on a Friday night.

• Marks hair

looking for Phillip Thomas next

• r8eray

I’m just glad i’m not watching this draft live on my 47″ LED…I feel like throwing this laptop out the passenger window as we speak!!

On my way to Cali…got the wifee driving and the rug-rats in the back!

• No Mas Diamante

Liking this draft. Reg did what he had to do. Now we need two more for the D/L if that is possible, a road grading guard, a te and a wr…

Also like to say that there are some good posts by some of you guys. Very knowledgable. Some funny schyte gets posted on here. Always good for a laugh.

• redshirt

Rounds 4-7 tomorrow 12pm EST.

Double check that though…

• The_Judge37

1057.Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 7:04 pm
    Apparantly. I have to slaughter a pig tomorrow morning. Any tips?

Long, sharp knife.

• rediaR

P.Thomas, Franklin, J.Williams, Okafor, Jenkins, Q.Smith all on the board.

• JT

Watson video

Anouncer says Watson was maybe the best athlete on F State…. and a ex boxer, basketball player…

This guy may turn out ot be a find…

• redshirt

Dam, how many WRs have the Rams taken, 4… 5 ?

• redshirt

LOL Niners, better have your secondary ready.

• Kirk

I would like to see DL and fullback.

Make Reece a tail back.

• redshirt

Niners couldn’t beat the Rams last season with a Superbowl caliber secondary and now the Rams add TWO MORE wideouts. LOL.

• redshirt

Somebody on FSR just said, “49ers and Raiders had 11 picks coming into today,”

… I don’t think that’s accurate

Unless you are totalling their picks

• Raider E

In case you didn’t know? Watson is a bad man.

He will unseat the false start prodigy.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

The_Judge37 Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 7:10 pm

1057.Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 7:04 pm
    Apparantly. I have to slaughter a pig tomorrow morning. Any tips?

Long, sharp knife.

=====================================================

I watched a couple and I think you’re right.

• RaidingTexas

Think they go QB in the 4th tomorrow? We’re 7 picks away.

Landry Jones?

• redshirt

Are you kidding me? This place slows to a halt at 7pm on Friday?

Shoot, parties don’t even get going till 11 or 12 at night.

What a jokel.

• mistic666

My. Balls itch and I just peed in somebody’s. Beer
    .great. draft.Rm has it going

• The_Judge37

Yeah right behind the front arm pits of the Pig

• ENGLANDRAIDER

The_Judge37 Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 7:10 pm
    1057.Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 7:04 pm
    Apparantly. I have to slaughter a pig tomorrow morning. Any tips?

Long, sharp knife.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It’s all about how you hold the knife.

• mistic666

6-10 biches. With a top 10 D

• 1960AutumnWind

R 1 – #3(3) MIA Dion Jordan (OLB) Oregon
    R 1 – #17(17) PIT Jarvis Jones (OLB) Georgia
    R 2 – #20(52) NE Jamie Collins (OLB) So Miss
    R 2 – #24(56) BAL Arthur Brown (OLB) Kansas St
    R 3 – #4(66) OAK Sio Moore (OLB) UConn

I think I agree with Sio Moore. Dion is currently injured. Jarvis has serious heath concerns and Sio flat out looks better than any of them except Jones. He can tackle cover as well as pass rush. I can’t believe we got this guy.

• GForce21

1057.Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 7:04 pm
    Apparantly. I have to slaughter a pig tomorrow morning. Any tips?

————

Do the opposite of what King Robert did on the Game of Thrones.

And don’t drink the wine.

• mistic666

I’M. FROM NANTUCKET

• redshirt

this blog is puh. thet. tick. huuuuuuuuurp

• DA supporter

Go Reggie, GO!

lets see what kinda mustard da likes to slurp on.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

Amazing how many really good players are still out there.

• dr ice 2012

guys i grew up in east hartfordct home of what we call the rent uconns stadium. im a season ticket holder seen moore play a ton this dude is a beast great pick,but who the hell is gonna play dline ?

• JT

We pick #3 round 4, and theres these gems available:

DT Jesse Williams
    DE Alex Okafor
    RB Johnathan Franklin

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

I got lucky, and don’t have to slaughter until midday
    Sunday