1,099

CB Hayden says he ‘saved best for last’ when comes to Raiders

Late last year, cornerback D.J. Hayden was losing weight and feeling down as he recovered from a rupture of a vein that feeds to his heart, the result of a freak accident in practice at the University of Houston.
Today, he addressed the Bay Area media as the newest member of the Raiders, their No. 12 pick in the first round of the NFL draft on Thursday night.
“I didn’t even think that I’d be where I’m at right now,” Hayden said in Alameda at a news conference.
Hayden spoke with ease, confidence and humility, saying all the right things and adjusting to a life that has taken two drastic turns within the past six months.
Growing up, Hayden idolized cornerbacks Champ Bailey, Charles Woodson and Darrelle Revis. He also displayed a firm grasp of the rich tradition of cornerbacks with the Raiders.
He called the Raiders “a DB factory” after rattling off the likes of Mike Haynes and Lester Hayes.
Hayden said he has been medically cleared to play football again, though he hasn’t been informed by the Raiders whether he will be permitted to participate in the team’s first mini camp.
On the bright side, Hayden has recovered from his injury, and his mind now is free to focus on football.
“The chances of it happening again are slim and none,” said Hayden, shortly after posing with general manager Reggie McKenzie while holding up a No. 25 jersey with his name on the back. “I’m not really worried about it.”
It’s a far cry from a few months ago, when Hayden said he became accustomed to regular IVs and needle pokes and wasn’t sure he would ever walk again, let alone play football.
The Raiders checked out Hayden thoroughly and liked him enough that they selected him at No. 12. McKenzie said the Raiders were prepared to select Hayden at No. 3 if they hadn’t have traded down with the Miami Dolphins.
“They still got the person they wanted and they got the extra pick,” Hayden said.
Of all the pre-draft visits Hayden had, the Raiders were the last, he said.
“I guess I saved the best for last,” Hayden said.

Steve Corkran

• inonewordraider

we’re going te in the 4th

kasa or otten

of course, i haven’t been close to being right yet

• xraided

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 6:13 pm
    No way is SIO MOORE burris.. SIO MOORE is better then burris.. and it i like burris

Mel Kiper couldnt believe SIO was still sitting there… can rush the passer..can cover the slot.. can play linebacker..

Todd Mcshay said years later ppl will be looking back wondering how SIO lasted till 3rd round.

He kinda reminds me of Elvis Dummervil when rushing the passer

______________

already the best front 7 guy we’ve got

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Sio Moore tweeted about 5 mins before Raiders took him

Sio Moore ‏@MrUconn3 35m

Exactly why I play with a chip on my shoulder and never let it go…

• RaiderFan-n-KC

xraided Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Demon Raider Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 6:11 pm
    Trade Pryor for a 3 and draft Okafor. Draft Bray or Wilson in 4

__________

sounds like a plan stan

________

The trolls would react in spasms

• eastoaklandraider

Dont think Barret Jones and Jessie Williams make it to rnd4. One of them may make it.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

I cant lie I kinda wanted Tyrann.. but Raiders dont do good with those kinda of players

Plus DJ HAYDEN is a ball hawk.. fast.. and forces fumbles too.

• redshirt

Redshirt Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 6:15 pm
    Elraidmanhattan Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 6:14 pm
    Can’t believe i actually got challenged to a boxing match tonight, too funny
    *********

Post his bloodied mug on youtube.
    ***********

JDB sounds like a tosser.

• RaiderLen

He kinda reminds me of Elvis Dummervil when rushing the passer
    ——————————————
    That’s who flashed in my mind as well.

Don’t know that he’ll be like Dumervil, but their are similarities.

• elraidmanhattan

Redshirt, the guy actually emailed me to set the challenge, and mapped where he lives, i am going to break my lease and move before he gets here!

• RaidingTexas

One thing I like about Reggie’s drafting: I like the international players. This is great for the Raiders brand globally.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Christopher Hansen ‏@ChrisHansenNFL 25m

Sio Moore can do so many things…love it.

• http://www.RAIDERS.com Back-n-Black

I guess Reggie must be confident in Sims and Walker at DT

• Mahlhavoc

afternoon Raider Fans! Just got off work and missed the picks.. OT and LB huh?

Anyone wanna give me a quick break down on thoughts? The OT looks like a good PBS mauler..

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Tony Pauline ‏@TonyPauline 7h

Day 2 News/Notes up: Chicago Bears & Baltimore Ravens looking hard at Sio Moore/LB/UConn: http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=7037

———————

Gotttt heeeem

• Myopinion

Jenkins
    Georgiadt

• 1960AutumnWind

CBS Draft Board

Hayden #24 we pick 12 but they acknowledge he was rising fast at end of process.

Watson #22 and we pick 42 (Note Mayock had at #31)

Moore #68 and we pick 66

No big reaches here. No kicker at #17 when you could have had him in 3rd or 4th round or someone like Bey in the top 10 when you could of had him in 2nd round. I liked the fact the Raiders traded down instead of taking him at #3 because they played the averages and thought he would last till 15. Still can’t believe we did not take Star or Floyd when they were sitting right there tough other than that like the pics. Moore is a pass rushing LB but did not expend super high pick for him.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Josh Norris ‏@JoshNorris 17 Apr

Reports of Arthur Brown and Sio Moore being the two fastest “risers” at LB. http://bit.ly/ZxyNC0

——————————-

Raiders Gotttt heeeem

• elraidmanhattan

. You know what it is all good, i am a raider always will be, and any raider fan is good with me

• Paul8148

has franklin gone?

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

I went out to check on the expectant mamallama and another was rolling in the dirt and farting.
    Of course I thought of you, KK, pootbutt to some,
    and had to give you a shoutout.

• RaiderLen

Elraidmanhattan Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 6:15 pm
    Can a get a count of Reggie supporters here, count me in
    —————————————-
    From day 1, Reggie had my backing for the full tenure of His contract.

I hope He can get it done.

• 90210

Why?
    Oh well !

• elraidmanhattan

Did anybody see Sio at the senilr bowl practices, he shined big time

• ENGLANDRAIDER

Out of three picks we got two projects and a player.

End of story.

• eastoaklandraider

Cant believe Tyler Wilson is droping so far. “That Boy Good”

• Mahlhavoc

Reggie love +1

• rediaR

Paul8148 Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 6:19 pm
    has franklin gone?
    —————
    Nope

• r8eray

1960AutumnWind Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 6:11 pm
    Demon Raider Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 6:08 pm
    I liked the Sio Moore pick but I like Alex Okafor more though. Maybe we trade back into the third and get him?
    *********************
    At this rate Oakafor will be there at top of 4th.

========

Aint happening buddy!!!!!!

This years draft makes last years look a whole lot better!!

• DJ Johnny

elraidmanhattan Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 5:35 pm
    DJ do’you like the picks?

Hey Elraid.

Actually I do like the picks.

Thx for calling me sane..but I do tend to be kind of a win now kind of guy…not as patient as I used to be.

• RaiderRetribution

Jones, Moore, Jenkins, Williams, Allen, Barkley, Nassib, Armstead, Okafor

Will one be available at 100?

• ohioraider

Move to 3-4?

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Sio Moore is no project.

Hayden is a lock down corner.. so one project?

• ron69

Trade Pryor select Barkley

• tonedeezy

not news: THIS BLOG IS FULL OF A BUNCH OF B!THCES

• eastoaklandraider

Myopinion Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 6:18 pm
    Jenkins
    Georgiadt

———-

If we cant get Jessie Williams then Jenkins it is.

• Dakota

Did Cork just give up on this blog? Two picks and no new post?

Way to go Corky.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit
  • RaiderLen

Back-N-Black Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 6:17 pm
    I guess Reggie must be confident in Sims and Walker at DT
    —————————————————-
    His Team scouted them and signed them.

You know they like them.

We can’t forget about Bilukidi as well.

Reggie is drafting those player”s He feels are difference makers, and they are staying true to their board.

Not drafting for need… per se.

• inonewordraider

veld berg wiz briesel watson
    kasa/otten
    reece dmac
    flynn/pryor
    streater moore ford

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

I have seen sio moore play.. im telling you the kid will be an instant Raider favorite

• bcz24

I think we are having a solid draft. Value is shaping up nicely for our 4th pick as well. Sh1t. Can’t wait til tomorrow. LOL

• elraidmanhattan

Raider Len, all kidding aside, i said it before, he went through the motions last year purposely to see what he had, and said ok let’s try what we have, and give it a go, game one showed clearly we sucked. Sure Reggie wanted to scrap team from outset, sure he hated the roster but dealt with it. Now all cards are on the table he cleans house and starts new. Love it, remember Reggie was a true raider, and damn the losers here who are too stupid to realize it, he is burning for us to get back from hell

Reggie keep it up i love what you are doing!

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Why does anybody think we could get a third-rounder for a QB who couldn’t hit the sidewalk with a can of paint?

• inonewordraider

brandon jenkins

damontre moore

corey lemonier

• ENGLANDRAIDER

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 6:22 pm
    Sio Moore is no project.

Hayden is a lock down corner.. so one project?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I’m mindful of Hayden’s health. Moore is no project.

• rediaR

ENGLANDRAIDER Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 6:26 pm
    RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 6:22 pm
    Sio Moore is no project.

Hayden is a lock down corner.. so one project?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I’m mindful of Hayden’s health. Moore is no project
    ——————–
    Doctors>You
    On this subject.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Hayden was checked and cleared by all 32 teams

• tonedeezy

you can’t teach size and athleticism. that’s a project worth drafting.

• ron69