Coach Allen talks after second, third rounds of NFL draft

Raiders coach Dennis Allen walked into the auditorium in Alameda on Friday night with a bounce in his step, a smile on his face and not a hair out of place.
Like most NFL coaches on draft day, Allen was in a boastful mood, pleased with the day’s bounty, and ready to share with the world his take on the Raiders selecting offensive tackle Menelik Watson (Florida State) and linebacker Sio Moore (Connecticut) in the second and third rounds, respectively.
Watson and Moore arrived on the heels of the Raiders selecting cornerback D.J. Hayden (Houston) in the first round Thursday. The Raiders got Watson with the pick they acquired from the Miami Dolphins in a trade down from No. 3 to No. 12.
Here is what Allen had to say during a 6 minute, 30 second question-and-answer session before he returned to the draft room to prepare for the final four rounds Saturday:

How you doing?
“Great. Listen, I’ll just start off and say, first of all, appreciate you guys being here late this evening. We feel really positive about the guys we’ve been able to add to our team thus far. Both the guys we were able to add today we feel are really good football players and really stand for the things we’re looking for and stand for things I’ve been talking about and Reggie’s been talking about, guys that really love football, guys that want to work, guys that are gonna put the team first. So felt really good about the two picks we added today.”

How difficult to evaluate a guy like Menelik who didn’t play long?
“Well, I think that when you look at a guy like that, I mean, No. 1, you look at where did he play? What was the level of competition? This guy played at Florida State at a very high level of competition. He played extremely well. We like his athleticism, we like the fact that he’s been a boxer, he’s been a basketball player. He’s got excellent feet, and he’s got great punch, and we think that’s a good addition.”

Scouting reports say he doesn’t always know what he’s doing.
“Well, I mean, obviously he hasn’t been playing the position for a long time. But we’ve seen, it’s not like we’re taking a guy that was just a basketball player and we’ve never seen him play football. We’ve seen him play college football at a high level, and play really well. And this was a guy that we had rated as one of the top tacklers on the board, and he was available for us there in the second round, so we took him.”

Any idea where you will be placing either Watson or Moore?
“Well, I think Sio Moore is an outside linebacker. He can play either SAM or WILL. He’s a guy that could play either side. I think the great thing about either guys is we feel like both these guys can come in and compete and we can upgrade our football team. And as they get in and as they get a chance to work with our veteran players, they’ll settle into exactly where we play them and how we play them.”

Sio says he’s the best linebacker in the draft, you agree?
“I think he’s pretty good.”

He also said he was pissed off
“I like the fact that… I’d rather him say that than say ‘Gosh, I wish I’d got taken in the 7th round. I mean, you know, here’s a guy that we had an opportunity to spend a lot of time at the Senior Bowl. That’s one of the things that when you look at it, we spent a week with this guy; in the meeting rooms with him, in the dining hall with him, watching him interact with the other players. You talk about a guy that loves football. He really epitomizes when you talk about a guy that loves football. So, we’re trying to get as many quality football players as we can and he fits that mold.”

Did getting to know him intimately put him over the top with you?
“No doubt. I mean, obviously you look at the tape and you see the qualities on the tape and you see the play on the tape – I think he had the tenth most tackles for loss in the NCAA last year – he’s a guy that has that type of ability, but just being around that guy for a week, he’s the type of guy that we want to bring into that locker room.”

Menelik Watson’s learning curve from Saddleback College to Florida State show you something?
“Absolutely, I think one of the things you look at with a guy like that is you look at tremendous upside. This guy’s got tremendous upside. Having him here and having one of the top O-line coaches in the National Football League in my opinion in Tony Sparano, I have no doubt that this guy’s gonna develop into a solid NFL player.”

Q: What did Watson and Moore have in common?
A: “Well, a drive and a passion. I spoke to both those players after we took them and both of them have a little bit of a chip on their shoulder. They want to prove that they belong in the NFL, they want to prove that they were worthy of being picked where they were picked and, really, in their minds, should have been picked sooner. So, that’s a great thing. Both of them love the game of football and both of them want to be really good.”

Q: Is pass-rusher still a big need for you guys?
A: “Well, obviously, that’s something that we’re going to continue to look at. Sio Moore is a guy that has rushed the passer. We put him in in the Senior Bowl, put him at defensive end and let him go rush the quarterback a few times. He sacked the quarterback and had a hit on the quarterback. So, that’s one of the qualities that he has is that he does have some rush ability.”

Q: Is taking Moore an example of taking the best player available?
A: “Yeah, well, he was the guy, as you’re looking at the board, that name just keeps jumping off at you, that he was really the pick at that particular time. Adding him to the linebacker mix, you got to look at special teams. That’s one of the things that you want to do. So, the better your linebacker corps is, the better your special teams are going to be. So, he can help our team in a lot of different areas.”

Steve Corkran

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Jackie Bibby Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 8:13 am
    Jesse williams is just a guy in my eyes. He does nothing that pop out at you hes just a body and takes up space. As far as ball hawking safeties, Rambo and phillip thomas would be solid picks.

====================================

If he has the ability to occupy multiple blockers as a 0-technique, that’s what you need to make a 3-4 defense work.

• http://www.redfrognetworks.com 0ak r8rs

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 7:57 am
    RaiderFredinDallas Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 7:51 am
    I hope some other team gets desperate for a QB and give us a few picks for our 4th.

=========================================

I wouldn’t count on it unless Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck or Ben Roethlisberger wraps a car around a tree this morning.

Any QB-desperate teams who thought Barkley or Nassib could be the answer would have taken them in the first three rounds.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Here’s to hoping for walking trees in Denver. Jk. But still, be nice to see that dork out of football, healthy.

• J Hill

If neither works im pretty sure we have atop pick,

——————————————————————-

You’re right about that.

• irjonny

Picking DJ Hayden was solid. I admit I did not want CB in the first. But when the emotion is taken out of it I like it. Would have been upset with milliner pick

• 2romes

Is Reggie drafting the best players or the players that best fit his scheme?

• Myopinion

Rm doesnt like that pretty boy stuff.
    Ebery pick so far is a tuff guy.

• irjonny

We have totally fixed maybe our biggest problem last year which was CB with the Hayden and FA. Jenkins could play safety too

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

2romes Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 8:19 am
    Is Reggie drafting the best players or the players that best fit his scheme?

==========================================

He’s drafting the best available players that fit the schemes he and DA want to run.

• aig-raiders

I think we take a de here at 4th. Okafor seems like a natural fit.

• TrevJo

REALLY hope we take Lattimore in rd 4. He is the future at RB. Can’t justify giving McFadden a huge long term contract next year.

• aig-raiders

Love Sio Moore shoulder dip when rushing. Reminds me of Wimbley. I can see him blitzing on 3rd down.

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Aig-Raiders Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 8:23 am
    I think we take a de here at 4th. Okafor seems like a natural fit.

==========================================

Unless Reggie and DA find Barkley or Nassib too good to pass up in the fourth round, it’ll be either Williams, Okafor or Lattimore.

• aig-raiders

Me think Latimore will go in 6th round. Dont think teams will take chance any higher.

• irjonny

lattimore wouldn’t help this team in the now.

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

TrevJo Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 8:25 am

==========================================

DMac: The only running back in NFL history (except maybe Freeman McNeil) who gets hurt brushing his teeth.

• rediaR

Put me down for the guy on top of Reggie’s board.

• aig-raiders

With flynn and tp i think we go w a vet as our bkup

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Aig-Raiders Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 8:28 am
    With flynn and tp i think we go w a vet as our bkup

=======================================

Unless we dump Pryor.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Aig-Raiders Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 8:25 am
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

My favorite pick so far. He can cover and he can rush the passer. 3 down LB and can be used as a nickel rusher.
    Our V Miller.

• http://ggeden.blogspot.com/ GG

Malliciah Goodman is a DE to watch out for.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

DE: Okafor
    DE Lemoniet
    FS: B Rambo
    S: S Thomas

• irjonny

if we trade any player today it should be branch

• aig-raiders

Too much talent in Pryor. Hes a Vince Young without the head case imho. Dude can play.

• Stringer Bell

Hearing that interview by Moore, he sounds like the anti-slolando. He’s a guy that wants to come in here kick a$$ and take names. SloMac was a punk from day one. We won’t know until they get on the field, but hopefully the check cashing culture is changing.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Aig-Raiders Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 8:30 am
    $$$$$$$$$$

And he is a hard worker and a good teammate.

We are not trading our cheap and talented young QB.

• http://ggeden.blogspot.com/ GG

Lemonier is already taken by Niners

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

GG Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 8:32 am
    Lemonier is already taken by Niners
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Myopinion

Okafor sounds kina like houston type player?

• irjonny

don’t sleep on khaseem greene OLB either

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Lemonier was one of my favorite players in this draft.
    D Jones: GB
    Hankins: Giants
    Lemonier: Whiners

Eff them!

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

And J Collins went to NE. Eff them too!

• rediaR

And Aaron Dobson went to NE. Double eff them.

• SnBG

Raider O Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 8:29 am
    Aig-Raiders Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 8:25 am
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Our V Miller.
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;I sure hope so. Moore seems to have very good scouting reports. Never saw him play. Have to watch some vid on him.

• http://ggeden.blogspot.com/ GG

Malliciah Goodman I say. LDE, but he’s good.

• Charlie

I do not think we have to draft a QB for the third guy on our roster.

An UDFA could work just as well.

I think it will be best available from here on out.

We need more guys that can block and tackle.

• Myopinion

These next rounds are supposed to be reggies specialty.
    bart scott” cant wait.”

• 1960AutumnWind

The DT from Alabama had a early 2nd round grade. Anyone see this guy play. How does he compare with say Richardson or Floyd or Star. What is his style?

• irjonny

DB B.W. Webb could be our special teams guy

• Plunketthead

Charlie Says:

Just getting the extra pick was huge.
    ****************************

Yea right, Reggie got bent over, ripped off and left for dead. No poker face, no tact, no negotiation skills, anyone could strip the club, 1,472 draft points left on board.
    And they pay him five million a year, SMH

Best part besides all the best parts of a team Reg puts together = Each player really wants to play in Oakland for the Raiders.

I believe that’s a bigger deal then anyone realizes

• 1960AutumnWind

The nice thing if we pick up Matt Scott is he probably can be had with one of our 7th rounders or target him as UDFA. With Barkely or Nassib you will have to use the 4th with a DT and DE that might be able to start on the Board.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Good morning Charlie. I know you are happy that we drafted a RT. he was considered a top 5 prospect at his position by a few sites. We drafted a RT who played RT in college.

• chuck

We were able to move down and still had a chance to draft the dt from Utah the person they had us picking at three and we pick a corner why?

• Myopinion

Actually I dont want a rb today.
    I want them to give t jones a damn chance

• http://www.safc.com/the-club/stadium/about-the-stadium-of-light neilb

Have I got the time difference right?

Just ’bout to start?

• RaidingTexas

RaiderFredinDallas Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 6:14 am
    Good morning Raider Nation. All the way from Dallas Texas where Jerry Jones continues to screw up this draft.

———————————————–

He and Idzik. Six QBs? WTF is wrong with that team.

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Myopinion Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 8:51 am
    Actually I dont want a rb today.
    I want them to give t jones a damn chance

==========================================

Supposedly, he fumbles even more often than DMac gets hurt, if such a thing is possible.

• RaidingTexas

Myopinion Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 8:51 am
    Actually I dont want a rb today.
    I want them to give t jones a damn chance

——————————————-

That might happen. Seems like we are stocked with CBs now.

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

RaidingTexas Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 8:51 am
    RaiderFredinDallas Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 6:14 am

———————————————–

He and Idzik. Six QBs? WTF is wrong with that team.

============================================

Nice to see another team as the NFL’s laughing stock, huh?

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Meanwhile, anybody see that Hyundai suicide ad? Good grief.

• Myopinion

When the guy said bw webb for special teams.
    I immedeatly thought of him
    Very valuable even only at gunner