Coach Allen talks after second, third rounds of NFL draft

Raiders coach Dennis Allen walked into the auditorium in Alameda on Friday night with a bounce in his step, a smile on his face and not a hair out of place.
Like most NFL coaches on draft day, Allen was in a boastful mood, pleased with the day’s bounty, and ready to share with the world his take on the Raiders selecting offensive tackle Menelik Watson (Florida State) and linebacker Sio Moore (Connecticut) in the second and third rounds, respectively.
Watson and Moore arrived on the heels of the Raiders selecting cornerback D.J. Hayden (Houston) in the first round Thursday. The Raiders got Watson with the pick they acquired from the Miami Dolphins in a trade down from No. 3 to No. 12.
Here is what Allen had to say during a 6 minute, 30 second question-and-answer session before he returned to the draft room to prepare for the final four rounds Saturday:

How you doing?
“Great. Listen, I’ll just start off and say, first of all, appreciate you guys being here late this evening. We feel really positive about the guys we’ve been able to add to our team thus far. Both the guys we were able to add today we feel are really good football players and really stand for the things we’re looking for and stand for things I’ve been talking about and Reggie’s been talking about, guys that really love football, guys that want to work, guys that are gonna put the team first. So felt really good about the two picks we added today.”

How difficult to evaluate a guy like Menelik who didn’t play long?
“Well, I think that when you look at a guy like that, I mean, No. 1, you look at where did he play? What was the level of competition? This guy played at Florida State at a very high level of competition. He played extremely well. We like his athleticism, we like the fact that he’s been a boxer, he’s been a basketball player. He’s got excellent feet, and he’s got great punch, and we think that’s a good addition.”

Scouting reports say he doesn’t always know what he’s doing.
“Well, I mean, obviously he hasn’t been playing the position for a long time. But we’ve seen, it’s not like we’re taking a guy that was just a basketball player and we’ve never seen him play football. We’ve seen him play college football at a high level, and play really well. And this was a guy that we had rated as one of the top tacklers on the board, and he was available for us there in the second round, so we took him.”

Any idea where you will be placing either Watson or Moore?
“Well, I think Sio Moore is an outside linebacker. He can play either SAM or WILL. He’s a guy that could play either side. I think the great thing about either guys is we feel like both these guys can come in and compete and we can upgrade our football team. And as they get in and as they get a chance to work with our veteran players, they’ll settle into exactly where we play them and how we play them.”

Sio says he’s the best linebacker in the draft, you agree?
“I think he’s pretty good.”

He also said he was pissed off
“I like the fact that… I’d rather him say that than say ‘Gosh, I wish I’d got taken in the 7th round. I mean, you know, here’s a guy that we had an opportunity to spend a lot of time at the Senior Bowl. That’s one of the things that when you look at it, we spent a week with this guy; in the meeting rooms with him, in the dining hall with him, watching him interact with the other players. You talk about a guy that loves football. He really epitomizes when you talk about a guy that loves football. So, we’re trying to get as many quality football players as we can and he fits that mold.”

Did getting to know him intimately put him over the top with you?
“No doubt. I mean, obviously you look at the tape and you see the qualities on the tape and you see the play on the tape – I think he had the tenth most tackles for loss in the NCAA last year – he’s a guy that has that type of ability, but just being around that guy for a week, he’s the type of guy that we want to bring into that locker room.”

Menelik Watson’s learning curve from Saddleback College to Florida State show you something?
“Absolutely, I think one of the things you look at with a guy like that is you look at tremendous upside. This guy’s got tremendous upside. Having him here and having one of the top O-line coaches in the National Football League in my opinion in Tony Sparano, I have no doubt that this guy’s gonna develop into a solid NFL player.”

Q: What did Watson and Moore have in common?
A: “Well, a drive and a passion. I spoke to both those players after we took them and both of them have a little bit of a chip on their shoulder. They want to prove that they belong in the NFL, they want to prove that they were worthy of being picked where they were picked and, really, in their minds, should have been picked sooner. So, that’s a great thing. Both of them love the game of football and both of them want to be really good.”

Q: Is pass-rusher still a big need for you guys?
A: “Well, obviously, that’s something that we’re going to continue to look at. Sio Moore is a guy that has rushed the passer. We put him in in the Senior Bowl, put him at defensive end and let him go rush the quarterback a few times. He sacked the quarterback and had a hit on the quarterback. So, that’s one of the qualities that he has is that he does have some rush ability.”

Q: Is taking Moore an example of taking the best player available?
A: “Yeah, well, he was the guy, as you’re looking at the board, that name just keeps jumping off at you, that he was really the pick at that particular time. Adding him to the linebacker mix, you got to look at special teams. That’s one of the things that you want to do. So, the better your linebacker corps is, the better your special teams are going to be. So, he can help our team in a lot of different areas.”

Steve Corkran

• 1960AutumnWind

Myopinion Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 8:36 am
    Okafor sounds kina like houston type player?
    ***********************
    Oakafor single handidly destroyed Oregon State in the Bowl Game this year. Houston never did that to OSU. Nor did Anasah nor did Jordan. He is much more of a pass rusher than Houston and Houston is much more of a base LDE and better against the run. I wonder if there is some off field stuff that is hindering Oakafor because everytime I saw that guy he was killer.

• chuck

We all should know a great corner without a run defense means nothing,we had aso for 7 years.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Yea right, Reggie got bent over, ripped off and left for dead. No poker face, no tact, no negotiation skills, anyone could strip the club, 1,472 draft points left on board.
    And they pay him five million a year, SMH
    $$$$$$$$$$$

Where do you 1472 from.
    3rd: 2200
    12 & 42: 1200 + 480= 1680
    2200-1680= 520 points

• HighPlains Raider

aig-raiders Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 8:30 am
    Too much talent in Pryor. Hes a Vince Young without the head case imho. Dude can play.
    ____________________________________________

Reggie would be stupid to try and trade him. Agree on finding a vet for #3. No need to waste a pick on a thin qb draft class this year.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Get*

• Myopinion

Im looking forward to moore turning out better than jordan.
    Dolphins gm will really look like a shmuck

• Plunketthead

aig-raiders Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 8:28 am
    With flynn and tp i think we go w a vet as our bkup
    ******************************

I agree and Touchdown Timmy is perfect for the job.

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Chuck Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 8:54 am

==========================================

Our new linebacking corps along with Walker and Sims on the d-line should help a lot. Jesse Williams would complete the puzzle.

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Plunketthead Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 8:56 am
    aig-raiders Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 8:28 am
    With flynn and tp i think we go w a vet as our bkup
    ******************************

I agree and Touchdown Timmy is perfect for the job.

===========================================

You want Tim Tebow here?

(headdesk)

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

1960AutumnWind Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 8:54 am
    Myopinion Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 8:36 am
    Okafor sounds kina like houston type player?
    ***********************
    $$$$$$$$$$$$

Not athletic enough, and projects as a LDE in 4-3 scheme.

• ron69

I think it’s between Jesse Williams and Ryan Otten the 4th round i’d go with the DT

• Myopinion

Thx autumn
    Just thinking body type.
    Ill probably be told stupid, but a 3/4w houston on each side seems nice? Houston too short?

• Thec

1960AutumnWind Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 8:49 am
    The DT from Alabama had a early 2nd round grade. Anyone see this guy play. How does he compare with say Richardson or Floyd or Star. What is his style?

+++++++++++

I watched him last year and hope that he came out then.
    Williams is a Football player… If he is on the board you gotta take him

• morilla

Raider O Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 8:57 am

Not athletic enough, and projects as a LDE in 4-3 scheme.
    ——————————————–

Looks good to me, he is killing people. I’m on the Oakafor bandwagon.

• http://www.redfrognetworks.com 0ak r8rs

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 8:53 am
    RaidingTexas Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 8:51 am
    RaiderFredinDallas Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 6:14 am
    Good morning Raider Nation. All the way from Dallas Texas where Jerry Jones continues to screw up this draft.

———————————————–

He and Idzik. Six QBs? WTF is wrong with that team.

============================================

Nice to see another team as the NFL’s laughing stock, huh?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Cowboys yes. As usual. Most “experts” seem to be saying they like the quality and positions the jets were able to draft. Despite the fact that we all know the Geno smith thing is gonna be a shlt show.

• Charlie

Plunkett

We got a second round pick THIS YEAR from a team that moved up nine spots.

What do think moving up nine spots is worth?????????

Thank Hue for desaling Reggie another bum hand.

What we have done thus far in this draft is solid.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Morilla Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 9:00 am
    Raider O Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 8:57 am

Not athletic enough, and projects as a LDE in 4-3 scheme.
    ——————————————–

Looks good to me, he is killing people. I’m on the Oakafor bandwagon.

$$$$$$$$$$$$

I like him, but I doubt he is going to be a RDE at the next level.

• dr_robert

I called Jesse Williams or Barrett jones last night.

• 1960AutumnWind

Oakfor does not hold point of attack like Houston but seems much more distruptive.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Look at the YouTube video you posted. He was rushing the QB from the left side.

• dr_robert

Gonna be a qb run in the furth

• Myopinion

O, I thought u loved jenkuns

• http://www.raiders.com Silverandblack666

I hear RUSH Red Barchetta plasying in the backgroud at the draft anyone esle hear that?

• Plunketthead

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:

Supposedly, he fumbles even more often than DMac gets hurt, if such a thing is possible.
    *****************

The TJ fan club will not accept that. Injuries and playbook problems and blocking troubles and fumbles are no excuse
    Just give him a chance for crying out loud so the TJFC will go the way of JRFC

• Charlie

Good morning O

I am extremely happy with our OT pick because I think it really helps the O and our young QB’s and Dmac.

Once Fisher and Joeckel went 1-2 I think trading down was the right move and in actuality gets us the best OT value for the RT spot as you alluded to.

Not sure why anyone thinks we got fleeced in the trade down. See my 666 post.

• DJ Johnny

Man. Once people have it their mind and have formed their opinions on here NOTHING can change it.

It doesn’t matter if Reggie put together the best draft in history there would still be those who poked holes in EVERY SINGLE PICK cuz they don’t like or trust him.

I like to remain fluid in my stance cuz i’ve said my jury is still out on him…but I DO like the picks thus far.

• Myopinion

Haleluyah

• http://www.raiders.com Silverandblack666

LOL maybe RM was after Barley LMAO OH NO!!!!!

• Thec

Yes barkeley gone….Great news

• rediaR

At least we wont get Barkley now. Whew.

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Silverandblack666 Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 9:07 am
    LOL maybe RM was after Barley LMAO OH NO!!!!!

=====================================

Nassib’s still on the board. No matter. Still say we’re taking Jesse Williams.

• dr_robert

We still could use:
    FS
    DE
    DT
    G
    TE
    WR
    QB
    RB

8 spots with only 5 picks. Trade down?

• Plunketthead

O
    I was exaggerating the entire thing. Must be feeling my oats after two great days of Reggie building a winning team

• devilr8er

Here comes the run at QB, hopefully we trade back and pick up a 5th-still good players left.

• Thec

barks to philly…ROFLMAO

• realtruraider

I knew there was goin to be trade at top of 4th, surprised it was Eagles to take Barkley, I’m sure more trades are going to happen early in the 4th

• http://www.raiders.com Silverandblack666

“Still say we’re taking Jesse Williams.”

I hope so I have been begging for a DL player since Thursday!

• dr_robert

Jenkins is a possibility but maybe in the 6th.

• Whoknows

Eagles must have thought we were going to pick up Barkley

• DJ Johnny

Charlie Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 9:02 am

Plunkett

We got a second round pick THIS YEAR from a team that moved up nine spots.

What do think moving up nine spots is worth?????????

Thank Hue for desaling Reggie another bum hand.

What we have done thus far in this draft is solid.

Charlie, You’ve made such an impact with your steadfast stance on the Oline thing that some had u on suicide watch after the first pick.

I figured you’d be pleased with the second one.

• Plunketthead

Charlie

I am trying to be a smartarse this morning
    I think Reggie stole us a first rounder and I am extremely happy about the draft and Reggie

• 2romes

If the Raiders will not give Pryor a fair chance at the starting job they should let him go. This year should be a year of open competition at QB. There is no way Flynn should waltz in here and be guaranteed a starting job. This year is supposed to be a year of change in the way the Raiders do things. No more scholarship kids as so many of you stated in the past. Pryor feel he demonstrated enough to be a starter on this team . If I am comparing Flynn past accomplishments to Pryor’s, I say pryor has a good argument in feeling he should be the starter. If the Raiders don’t want riffles in the waters, start by selecting the best QB that earns it through an open competition. If pryor feels he has not earned the job he may be a good back up ready to prove himself again in the future for the Raiders.

• ron69

Trade down for someone who wants Nassib and get a 5th

• devilr8er

The Aussie Jessie Williams seems like a two down player-also seems like a me type of player- he does have size and upside.

• rediaR

There goes slolando jr

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Myopinion Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 9:05 am
    O, I thought u loved jenkuns
    $$$$$$$$$$

I do. He is still available, but will he be available in the 6th?

• ron69