Coach Allen talks after second, third rounds of NFL draft

By Steve Corkran
Friday, April 26th, 2013 at 8:24 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Raiders coach Dennis Allen walked into the auditorium in Alameda on Friday night with a bounce in his step, a smile on his face and not a hair out of place.
Like most NFL coaches on draft day, Allen was in a boastful mood, pleased with the day’s bounty, and ready to share with the world his take on the Raiders selecting offensive tackle Menelik Watson (Florida State) and linebacker Sio Moore (Connecticut) in the second and third rounds, respectively.
Watson and Moore arrived on the heels of the Raiders selecting cornerback D.J. Hayden (Houston) in the first round Thursday. The Raiders got Watson with the pick they acquired from the Miami Dolphins in a trade down from No. 3 to No. 12.
Here is what Allen had to say during a 6 minute, 30 second question-and-answer session before he returned to the draft room to prepare for the final four rounds Saturday:

How you doing?
“Great. Listen, I’ll just start off and say, first of all, appreciate you guys being here late this evening. We feel really positive about the guys we’ve been able to add to our team thus far. Both the guys we were able to add today we feel are really good football players and really stand for the things we’re looking for and stand for things I’ve been talking about and Reggie’s been talking about, guys that really love football, guys that want to work, guys that are gonna put the team first. So felt really good about the two picks we added today.”

How difficult to evaluate a guy like Menelik who didn’t play long?
“Well, I think that when you look at a guy like that, I mean, No. 1, you look at where did he play? What was the level of competition? This guy played at Florida State at a very high level of competition. He played extremely well. We like his athleticism, we like the fact that he’s been a boxer, he’s been a basketball player. He’s got excellent feet, and he’s got great punch, and we think that’s a good addition.”

Scouting reports say he doesn’t always know what he’s doing.
“Well, I mean, obviously he hasn’t been playing the position for a long time. But we’ve seen, it’s not like we’re taking a guy that was just a basketball player and we’ve never seen him play football. We’ve seen him play college football at a high level, and play really well. And this was a guy that we had rated as one of the top tacklers on the board, and he was available for us there in the second round, so we took him.”

Any idea where you will be placing either Watson or Moore?
“Well, I think Sio Moore is an outside linebacker. He can play either SAM or WILL. He’s a guy that could play either side. I think the great thing about either guys is we feel like both these guys can come in and compete and we can upgrade our football team. And as they get in and as they get a chance to work with our veteran players, they’ll settle into exactly where we play them and how we play them.”

Sio says he’s the best linebacker in the draft, you agree?
“I think he’s pretty good.”

He also said he was pissed off
“I like the fact that… I’d rather him say that than say ‘Gosh, I wish I’d got taken in the 7th round. I mean, you know, here’s a guy that we had an opportunity to spend a lot of time at the Senior Bowl. That’s one of the things that when you look at it, we spent a week with this guy; in the meeting rooms with him, in the dining hall with him, watching him interact with the other players. You talk about a guy that loves football. He really epitomizes when you talk about a guy that loves football. So, we’re trying to get as many quality football players as we can and he fits that mold.”

Did getting to know him intimately put him over the top with you?
“No doubt. I mean, obviously you look at the tape and you see the qualities on the tape and you see the play on the tape – I think he had the tenth most tackles for loss in the NCAA last year – he’s a guy that has that type of ability, but just being around that guy for a week, he’s the type of guy that we want to bring into that locker room.”

Menelik Watson’s learning curve from Saddleback College to Florida State show you something?
“Absolutely, I think one of the things you look at with a guy like that is you look at tremendous upside. This guy’s got tremendous upside. Having him here and having one of the top O-line coaches in the National Football League in my opinion in Tony Sparano, I have no doubt that this guy’s gonna develop into a solid NFL player.”

Q: What did Watson and Moore have in common?
A: “Well, a drive and a passion. I spoke to both those players after we took them and both of them have a little bit of a chip on their shoulder. They want to prove that they belong in the NFL, they want to prove that they were worthy of being picked where they were picked and, really, in their minds, should have been picked sooner. So, that’s a great thing. Both of them love the game of football and both of them want to be really good.”

Q: Is pass-rusher still a big need for you guys?
A: “Well, obviously, that’s something that we’re going to continue to look at. Sio Moore is a guy that has rushed the passer. We put him in in the Senior Bowl, put him at defensive end and let him go rush the quarterback a few times. He sacked the quarterback and had a hit on the quarterback. So, that’s one of the qualities that he has is that he does have some rush ability.”

Q: Is taking Moore an example of taking the best player available?
A: “Yeah, well, he was the guy, as you’re looking at the board, that name just keeps jumping off at you, that he was really the pick at that particular time. Adding him to the linebacker mix, you got to look at special teams. That’s one of the things that you want to do. So, the better your linebacker corps is, the better your special teams are going to be. So, he can help our team in a lot of different areas.”

• devilr8er

Trade

• nwr8r

back 12 spots?

• Charlie

Plunkett

Glad to hear that. I think of you as a knowledgable Raider fan.

• Thec

You have never watched williams play…He is a football player Been watching him for 2 years, he is good.

• http://www.raiders.com Silverandblack666

Trde with the Bucs

what DID we get?

Please I hope its not a bee bee gun!

• devilr8er

what did we get from the trade

• Thec

What did we get?

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Plunketthead Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 9:08 am
    O
    I was exaggerating the entire thing. Must be feeling my oats after two great days of Reggie building a winning team
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I’m still not impressed with his negotiation skills.

• 8RaiderReign8

Raiders just traded again.

• rediaR

6th rounder

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Thec,

Another 6th.

• http://www.raiders.com Silverandblack666

WOW we just got a 6th EAGLES gave up more AGAIN!!

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

And we now have FOUR sixth-rounders.

• Thec

Silverandblack666 Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 9:13 am
    Trde with the Bucs

what DID we get?

Please I hope its not a bee bee gun!

++++++++=

An Electric Train Set

• ron69

This trade it means we’re going to reach i guess

• http://www.redfrognetworks.com 0ak r8rs

0ak R8rs Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 6:33 am
    Myopinion Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 6:26 am
    reggies in prime position to trade back again.
    Seems alot of good players left.
    Raider o was very high on brandon jenkins,says hes bette than werenr just tore acl.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I don’t know how much value there is in trading back in the 4th round? And there are a lot of guys that won’t be around that I would like a shot at that won’t be around when we pick again in the 6th. I think we almost have to keep that 4th. Anything is possible tho. Especially of we can get a high 5th and maybe another 6th. Or a 3rd next year maybe.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

TRADE! I was wrong. You were right. Still like the move I guess for depth. Would have like a 5th instead tho.

• http://www.raiders.com Silverandblack666

“I’m still not impressed with his negotiation skills.”

Pathetic

He better be a good picker!

“O” vaping some green crack right now …..pass

• redshirt

What did we get from Tampa for the 4th round swap?

• Plunketthead

Duck
    I would all be in on TT until we get our franchise QB.

I suspect Flynn/TP will fight it out and odds are someone will suffer an injury.

That leaves us in a bad spot. We need a clipboard holder that has actually had more experience and TT is that

• nwr8r

reggie likes 6th round

• devilr8er

another 6th damn, i hope its early 6th

• irjonny

4 6ths? that’s a lot of ammo to move up into the 5th. even back into the 4th

• http://www.raiders.com Silverandblack666

We gave up a LOT of ground to get a measly 6th round pick!

Can anyone else see that or am I taking crazy people pills?

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Charlie Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 9:13 am
    Plunkett

Glad to hear that. I think of you as a knowledgable Raider fan.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

He is. You should ask him about his cheap suit theory. (One of my favorite theories)
    Long live the soccer ambassador!

• devilr8er

lots of those 6th are compensatory pick, i dont think you can trade those

• 8RaiderReign8

We just traded down again for 12 spots

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

We now have the 4th, 8th, 13th and 37th picks in the sixth round. Betcha Reggie trades two of those for a fifth-rounder.

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Devilr8er Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 9:17 am
    lots of those 6th are compensatory pick, i dont think you can trade those

========================================

Only one of them is.

• ron69

With this trade i think Reggie is reaching for his TE i think its Kasa

• devilr8er

After trading back, maybe reggie was thinking barkley

• redshirt

4 6th round picks?! lolz

• Charlie

DJ

I am extremely happy with the OT pick.

As O pointed out it probably worked best in that we have a true RT at good RT value.

Once Fisher and Joeckel went 1-2 I was worried.

So far I like what we have done.

Today I think we go best available.

• 8RaiderReign8

Reggies clearly gonna use this 6th to move back up into the 5th.

• http://www.raiders.com Silverandblack666

“We gave up a LOT of ground to get a measly 6th round pick!”

We moved down 12 slots!

If I am one of the 31 GM’s I am actively seeking out RM for a trade!

He just got trade raped.

• Myopinion

We get two players instead of 1.
    Worked out in the first.

• rediaR

I see no reason to reach.

• Plunketthead

Charlie Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 9:13 am
    Plunkett

Glad to hear that. I think of you as a knowledgable Raider fan.
    *******************

Thanks and looks like Reggie is getting that 5th pick back. He may be in a bind this year but that’s it.

Other GM’s will like doing business with him because he will not lie or be deceitful. He will be upfront and honest and there will not be anymore deals in which points are left on the table.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

666,

lol
    Banana Kush today, but I had green crack before.

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Silverandblack666 Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 9:17 am
    We gave up a LOT of ground to get a measly 6th round pick!

Can anyone else see that or am I taking crazy people pills?

=============================================

You’re taking the pills. We did fine. It means Reggie had about 15-20 guys all valued equally. So if we drop down 12 spots, we’ll get somebody he likes and get an extra pick in the process.

• redshirt

WR Ace Sanders… Prime Time’s lil cuz?

• 8RaiderReign8

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 9:17 am
    __________________________________

Exactly

• rediaR

Silverandblack666 Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 9:18 am
    “We gave up a LOT of ground to get a measly 6th round pick!”

We moved down 12 slots!

If I am one of the 31 GM’s I am actively seeking out RM for a trade!

He just got trade raped
    ———————-
    Not really. It’s the 4th round. You’re just looking for reasons to complain.

• 1960AutumnWind

TT would be good competion for Gordan and Ausberry also great punt protector…. LOL

• http://www.raiders.com Silverandblack666

Show the Raider wars room you know that phone is ringing off the hook.

• redshirt

Are there any projected 1st rounders left? 2nd rounders?

• Crimedog

Jesus christ people relax on the trade “value”. If the Raiders have multiple people that are looking at in this range, then picking up another pick is a no-brainer. The “win the draft” mentality here is pathetic. The only thing that matters is that we get good players, which we won’t know until the season starts.

• devilr8er

okafor gone

• 00tt00

Silverandblack666 Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 9:13 am
    Trde with the Bucs

what DID we get?

Please I hope its not a bee bee gun!
    ================
    lol

• ENGLANDRAIDER

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Plunk……Belicheat will love that in him.

• redshirt