Raiders snag LB in third round

The Raiders selected Connecticut linebacker Sio Moore with their third-round draft pick, No. 66 overall.

Moore, 6-foot-1, 245 pounds, was a three-year starter for UConn with 274 tackles, including 43 for losses.

A participant in the Senior Bowl, where the Raiders staff coached one of the teams, Moore told reporters at the NFL scouting combine he thought the experience benefited him in terms of competing against the best college players.

“I had very little time to really make my case, so the first thing I wanted to do once I got out there was to make sure that I showed guys that I’m here and a good ballplayer,” Moore said. “I felt like I got overlooked, but I was glad to have the opportunity and show guys what I’m able to do against top-tier talent. It was an honor as well as a challenge.”

Moore described his playing style to reporters at the NFL scouting combine:

“When I go out and play football, I play (angry). I play with a passion to win and the passion to give everything I have to my teammates.”

Moore joins a crowded group of linebackers along with returnee Miles Burris and free agent signees Nick Roach, Kevin Burnett and Kaluka Maiava.

Steve Corkran

• http://www.redfrognetworks.com 0ak r8rs

Chris In NY Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 8:17 pm
    0ak r8rs Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 8:14 pm
    Chris In NY Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 8:11 pm
    0ak r8rs Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 8:06 pm
    Al_is_theraiders Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 8:02 pm
    moore is a starter? mustve missed him play, oh wait maybe it was bball…lol…you guys are high!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I knew you wouldn’t like this draft day. You loved yesterday. Because it was an Al pick. Except Al wouldn’t have been smart enough to trade down and get another pick. He would have taken Hayden at 3. Big, horrible difference. Then today we draft guys that r FOOTBALL PLAYERS AND HAVE CHARACTER and of course you have a problem with it. And it was Watson that played basketball. Not Moore. Get it right.

———————-

I think you’re right about Al not drafting back, but let’s get real. Ansah or Jordan would’ve been his pick. Nothing wrong with that.

Watson and Moore are total Al players. Freakish athletes with great upside.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Like I said, he wouldn’t have had the opportunity to draft Watson. And Moore NEVER would have been on his radar. Small school, not fast and good character.

——————————–

Moore is very fast. UConn isn’t really a small school at all. Big East. Al drafted Tyvon Branch from there not long ago. Small school would be D II Hillsdale, where Al got Veldheer from.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Moore is not Al Davis fast. And when I say small school, I mean it’s not Nebraska or Iowa or Michigan where we used to get all of our players. Uconn has had football for like 15 years, maybe less. I admit I’ve only seen him play a few times, and I don’t claim to watch film or anything, but all the “experts” r saying its his instinct that gets him in position, not flat out speed. Kinda like Teo. But I think this guy is a little faster than Teo, and hopefully better.

• Plunk-It

Here is the defensive end we have been looking for. He is only 20 years strong against the run and with some tutoring can improve his pass rush abilities. And he is related to Tony Bergstrom.

• DA Supporter

So how short of a leash does Reggie give DA? Two games, four?

• rediaR

Myopinion Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 8:20 pm
    Als brother
    They said hes been in tjat seat like 30 yrs
    ———————
    Jesus! Somebody prop him up and get him some fresh air!

• DA Supporter

Myopinion Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 8:20 pm
    Als brother
    They said hes been in tjat seat like 30 yrs
    ———-
    Al LaCosale is Al’s brother?

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

All kinds of Talent still left.

Franklin, Rambo, Darick Rodgers, Jessie Williams, Okfaor, Ryan Swope, Philip Thomas, Corneelious washington, Kashim Green

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Evan Silva ‏@evansilva 8m

Notable RBs left in addition to Franklin & Lattimore: Kenjon Barner, Zac Stacy, Mike Gillislee, Cierre Wood, Stepfan Taylor, Theo Riddick.

• DA Supporter

DA better roll up his nut sack and get to work. Reggie has done real well with this draft so far. DA better not eff it up.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Quinton Patton and Jordan Poyer still there

• irjonny

i know the trade down talk is getting old. but i think somehow reg gets a 5th tomorrow. wants a full draft

• Irish Boozer

Funny how everybody is loving our picks. I saw almost every single one of you guys put up your wish list, and I’m not sure I saw any of our picks on anybody’s list…anywhere. Now it’s the best draft we’ve had in years? Forget the kool-aid, pass whatever you guys are spiking it with! I’m not saying we got a bad haul, I’m just saying I have no clue. Nobody else does either. None of these guys were topics of discussion amongst us. Stop acting like you’ve wanted them all along.

• 1960AutumnWind

Houston-sims-walker
    Burnett-roach-Burris-Moore
    Hayden-branch-young-porter

Look at that defense. We even have depth with Jenkins and Julio at CB and Malieva at LB along with Carter and Buluki on the line. Still may need a NT type to either compete with Sims or at least provide more depth along with Buluki. I am stoked!!! Can also play 4/3 by moving Walker inside and bringing in Carter. Wow!!! Allen and Tarver now have the personal they need to start running the Multiple defense they want to run. Screw 2014 lets win now!!!

• dr ice 2012

Moores combine for you numbers crunchers
    4.65 forty
    29 rep bench
    38 inch vertical
    Teo who

• angry little man

he plays angry…..

I like him already.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

I wanted sio moore the saturday of senior bowl espeically watching the senior bowl practices

• Kirk

“I was at the draft yesterday and I really didn’t want to go because I’m not into all the glitz and glamour. I’m just a work guy. I really want to get to work.” — Menelik Watson.

“I love the game of Von Miller and Darryl Washington — two guys who play the game very athletically. They can play on the line, pass rush, cover. That’s something I want to prove I can do as well at a high level.” — Sio Moore.

• 1960AutumnWind

dr ice 2012 Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 8:29 pm
    Moores combine for you numbers crunchers
    4.65 forty
    29 rep bench
    38 inch vertical
    Teo who
    ***************************
    More like Dion who? I think Moore had more tackles for loss in a single game than Jordan had all season yet Jordan goes 3rd overall.

• morilla

Jeez, Sio’s audio interview just gave me goose bumps. He is the anti-Rolando.

• Mahlhavoc

Irish Boozer Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 8:27 pm

————-

No we didnt, I think folks are happy now we have the faces and can look at the resume and tangibles. None of us are pro scouts and none of us watch all college teams. We learn the big names the “Gurus” put out and then research.. now after researching our OFFICIAL picks.. we are excited.

No need to be the wet blanket, sir. :-P

• irjonny

i tend to think Safety is our next move. Shamarko Thomas is a great value tomorrow

• Kirk

When was the last time we had a linebacker that would blow up a runner in the hole?

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

WHo do u want tommorow.

Alex Oakfaor? Corneelious Washington Pass rusher?? One of the Top backs still there with Jonathon Franklin

I have a feeling Oakfaor will be gone by Raiders pick

• r8eray

Chase Thomas!

• http://www.redfrognetworks.com 0ak r8rs

Mahlhavoc Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 8:32 pm
    Irish Boozer Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 8:27 pm

————-

No need to be the wet blanket, sir.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I did expect Watson actually. Hayden was a surprise to me. And I get Moore now that they got him w the senior bowl and everything, but I didn’t before they got him. Doesn’t matter. People didn’t slam Hayden, they loved the trade down even more. And I just read A grades on Watson and Moore. When was the last time the raiders got B- to A grades on their #1, #2 and #3 picks? I’m fact, don’t even answer that BOOZER, when was the last time we HAD A #1 and a #2 and a #3 in ONE DRAFT????!!!! So yea, we r kinda happy.

• http://www.redfrognetworks.com 0ak r8rs

Kirk Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 8:36 pm

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Slolando mcClown! Oh wait…….

• DJ Johnny

Out of all the picks i’m most hyped about Sio Moore.

• Demon Raider

Irish Boozer Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 8:27 pm
    ————-
    Um, I know I had said I wanted Hayden and Watson. I didn’t mock Moore cuz I didn’t see him falling to the third.

• Demon Raider

Irjonny Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 8:35 pm
    ——–
    Phillip Thomas, even better

• Chris in NY

For all the talk about this being a terrible draft, I think that was not correct. It was not at all a top-heavy draft. However, this is an excellente mid-1st – 4th round draft. A ton of good players got picked today and many more good ones remain for tomorrow.

BEST AVAILABLE:
    1. Alex Okafor, DE, Texas
    2. Landry Jones, QB, Oklahoma
    3. Barrett Jones, C, Alabama
    4. Ryan Swope, WR, Texas A&M
    5. Shamarko Thomas, S, Syracuse
    6. Matt Scott, QB, Arizona
    7. Stepfan Taylor, RB, Stanford
    8. Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
    9. Brian Schwenke, C, California
    10. Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee

And that’s really just scratching the surface.

• irjonny

Demon Raider Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 8:49 pm
    Irjonny Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 8:35 pm
    ——–
    Phillip Thomas, even better
    ——————–
    we could get him later though. do like him

• http://www.redfrognetworks.com 0ak r8rs

I think people that said this was a terrible draft were either talking about the lack of Elite, “can’t miss” guys like Luck or RG3, or were flat out stupid. This is a super deep draft. Just not sexy. Full of lineman and secondary and tight ends. Ever remember a draft with 2 QBs taken on the first 3 rounds? Or no RBs in the first? Deep but different. It’s like Christmas really. I love our picks. But I’m super jealous of a lot of other picks. And still excited about what’s left after day 2.

• the sssnnnaaakkkeee

The best value pick left for the raiders would be Quanterus Smith of Western Kentucky…I am a Bama fan and this dude gave us fits…with sio and him..Peyton will have to get some more insurance

• 2romes

I did not think Reggie would take a CB with the first pick. That move seems like the past Raiders picks that a few in here were complaining about. I thought Reggie would start building from the inside out. I am not saying it is a bad move. I am saying he surprised me a bit. I wish all players the Raiders pick in the draft good luck.

• redshirt

That mawfocka gonna look good in the silver and black.