Raiders snag LB in third round

By Steve Corkran
Friday, April 26th, 2013 at 7:14 pm in Oakland Raiders.

The Raiders selected Connecticut linebacker Sio Moore with their third-round draft pick, No. 66 overall.

Moore, 6-foot-1, 245 pounds, was a three-year starter for UConn with 274 tackles, including 43 for losses.

A participant in the Senior Bowl, where the Raiders staff coached one of the teams, Moore told reporters at the NFL scouting combine he thought the experience benefited him in terms of competing against the best college players.

“I had very little time to really make my case, so the first thing I wanted to do once I got out there was to make sure that I showed guys that I’m here and a good ballplayer,” Moore said. “I felt like I got overlooked, but I was glad to have the opportunity and show guys what I’m able to do against top-tier talent. It was an honor as well as a challenge.”

Moore described his playing style to reporters at the NFL scouting combine:

“When I go out and play football, I play (angry). I play with a passion to win and the passion to give everything I have to my teammates.”

Moore joins a crowded group of linebackers along with returnee Miles Burris and free agent signees Nick Roach, Kevin Burnett and Kaluka Maiava.

• IGAG

Reggie, go treat yourself to a comfort food splurge at IHOP. You earned it today buddy. What? Go back there for round two.

Just build your own stack baby!

• mistic666

Wow that was an impressive turd.it was. That Mexican. Food I had last week

• 1960AutumnWind

mistic666 Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 7:52 pm
    MARY BARKLEY is the pick. Flynn TP AND MARY.holy fuk
    *******************
    Mistic

Knock it off. At least get Barkleys name right. Its Maggie not Mary come on. Just say no to Matt.

• ESETERIK78

95.mistic666 Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 7:56 pm
    Wooo. I feel turtle head popping out. Better drop a duece

=======================

Please wipe better this time. Don’t want anymore “skiddies”.

Guy’s been talkin to Menelik. That’s what they say in England. “oh cripes, got the skiddies. off to drop a deuce….

• IGAG

Are Reggies coaches allowed to input on the picks? Or does Reggie leave it all up to his scouts?

• Just Win Baby

I can get three dollars worth of pennies in my mouth before I start to pass out.

• Al_is_theraiders

moore is a starter? mustve missed him play, oh wait maybe it was bball…lol…you guys are high!

• RaiderGear

Dropped a turd so big it tried to crawl out of the toilet til I beat it back in there with a chair.

• Al_is_theraiders

and whats up with the foriegn players? its not soccer reggie…crawford, watson lol

• Al_is_theraiders

bilukudi…

• ESETERIK78

108.RaiderGear Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 8:03 pm

===========================

put some pads on it! We need a pass rusher!!

• Kirk

Watson allowed one sack in a strong conference.

How is that a project?

• dr ice 2012

i live in bristol ct got season tickets to uconn moore is going to impress the hell out of you.Watson will start opening day barnes is going to go to guard watson rt lil wiz center jason lt are oline is looking much better

• madraiderfan

Why the hell are we still talking about AD during this draft. Let him rest in peace. He did his job when he was alive. It’s Reggie’s team now. You may not like the picks, but I’m glad they are drafting football players with an upside. We will be alright. The best is yet to come Raider Nation.

• Chris in NY

Gotta say I think Reggie’s done a pretty good job with this draft so far. B+

I’d LOVE Okafor or Landry Jones here in Rd 4.

I’m mystified as to why Okafor is still there. Very productive at Texas. First team All Big 12. Would seem to have the measurables. No off-field issues I’m aware of.

Only thing I can think of is after a solid week of practice at the Senior Bowl he had to bow out of the game due to injury that lingered through the Combine. So maybe it’s a medical thing.

• RaiderLen

Just Win Baby Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 7:53 pm
    We have, without a shadow of a doubt, the ugliest front office of any team in professional sports. It’s just embarrassing.
    ———————————–
    All they have to do is hire a Hottie and place Her in the center of every pick.

Everyone else will go unnoticed.

• mistic666

RM is allergic to drafting spine.I’m allergic to cottonelle TP. Chaffed my ass man

• http://www.redfrognetworks.com 0ak r8rs

Al_is_theraiders Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 8:02 pm

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I knew you wouldn’t like this draft day. You loved yesterday. Because it was an Al pick. Except Al wouldn’t have been smart enough to trade down and get another pick. He would have taken Hayden at 3. Big, horrible difference. Then today we draft guys that r FOOTBALL PLAYERS AND HAVE CHARACTER and of course you have a problem with it. And it was Watson that played basketball. Not Moore. Get it right.

• JT

Very productive draft by Reggie

Having a quesadilla con chipotle to celebrate over here.

Tomorrow take Okafer, Jonathan Franklin or Jesse Williams

Trade Dmac.

• Demon Raider

FS Phillip Thomas is still available too

• Plunk-It

Here is your Raiders QB developmental pick and the Raiders have been linked with him according to the article.

Boy Gruden really let him have it in the video.

• RaidingTexas

Mistic666 Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 7:56 pm
    Wooo. I feel turtle head popping out. Better drop a duece

————————————-

Prairie dogging it?

• Just Win Baby

Yeah, there’s got to be some kind of knock against Okafor that is pushing him back so far. Barkley and Nassib don’t really surprise me as still being available. But I hope we don’t even consider either one of them.

• Chris in NY

Moore is probably my favorite pick of the 3, considering the value + measurables + production. I think he’s got a pretty high floor and a pretty high ceiling. Great value there.

And you guys know I’ve been as critical of Reggie as anyone.

• DA Supporter

RaiderLen Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 8:05 pm
    Just Win Baby Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 7:53 pm
    ———————————–
    All they have to do is hire a Hottie and place Her in the center of every pick.

Everyone else will go unnoticed.

—————————————–

Jessica Alba for HC.

• http://www.AmyTraskshouldbeonmountrushmore.com Whats a Drexl?

Inonewordraider Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 7:20 pm
    =================
    Dude comes from the blue side of Manchester, thank gawd.

If he was a United fan I would have puked a little bit in my mouth.

• Demon Raider

I liked to picks of Watson and Moore.

• Chris in NY

0ak r8rs Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 8:06 pm
    Al_is_theraiders Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 8:02 pm

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

———————-

I think you’re right about Al not drafting back, but let’s get real. Ansah or Jordan would’ve been his pick. Nothing wrong with that.

Watson and Moore are total Al players. Freakish athletes with great upside.

• RaiderGear

Reggie can enjoy his morning constitution after todays work. Yes sir, the dude can enjoy it.

• RaidingTexas

Whats A Drexl? Says:

Dude comes from the blue side of Manchester, thank gawd.

If he was a United fan I would have puked a little bit in my mouth.

————————————————

Championship #20. Suck it.

• 1960AutumnWind

Were Hayden and Watson “Al Picks”

Al liked to be a contrarian and kind of try to prove people wrong with a pick. He reaches for a kicker or a CB or a WR and drafts them in a place they don’t belong. My problem with Al is he could have traded back twice three times on some of these picks and still got the guy he wanted. Why expend a 1st round pick when you can trade down?

Al never traded down with high picks to my knowledge. Yes he might of drafted Hayden but would have just used the 3rd to get him. So in this draft Al would have never had a shot at Watson. If he did somehow have a 2nd rounder at that spot in the draft he just might of drafted Watson but Al never valued good coaching much so Watson would have struggled to develop. Now we have Saprano and probably already have a developmnet strategy for Watson. That is a major difference for developmental player.

Sio Moore? I could see AD picking that guy but usually looks more at measurables than colledge production. Overall unlikely that AD would have picked him later in his life. Earlier in his life yes, he even targeted smaller schools and liked finding guys like that.

• RaiderGear

Reggie got his freak on today baby.

• alex7

I predicted Watson last night.

The guy is a no-doubt 1st round talent except for the fact scouts only had 1 season of film on him.

If he came out next year, no-doubt top-15 pick. Freak talent at RT and can play LT down the road.

————
    Alex7 Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 1:13 am
    I’m going with Watson, Cyprien, or Ertz in the 2nd round in that order.

• http://www.redfrognetworks.com 0ak r8rs

Chris In NY Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 8:11 pm
    0ak r8rs Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 8:06 pm
    Al_is_theraiders Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 8:02 pm

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

———————-

Watson and Moore are total Al players. Freakish athletes with great upside.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Like I said, he wouldn’t have had the opportunity to draft Watson. And Moore NEVER would have been on his radar. Small school, not fast and good character.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Sio MOORE has 8 sacks last year at UCONN.. Thats more then DION JORDAN and ANSAH

MOORE played likebacker, covered SLot WR and lined up at DE

had a sack in the Senior Bowl lined up at DE

• IGAG

alex7 Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 8:13 pm
    I predicted Watson last night.

————
    Alex7 Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 1:13 am
    I’m going with Watson, Cyprien, or Ertz in the 2nd round in that order.

**************

I predicted a build your own stack at IHOP.

• Chris in NY

Moore was one of the most impressive specimens at the combine. Al would’ve been interested.

I’ve gotta think Al would’ve been on board with me with Margus Hunt in the 2nd though. Bengals got some good players. Hunt and Eifert were two of my favorites.

• DJ Johnny

Just Win Baby Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Who is that real old guy sitting at the Raider table?

• RaiderLen

Alex7 Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 8:13 pm
    I predicted Watson last night.

————
    Alex7 Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 1:13 am
    I’m going with Watson, Cyprien, or Ertz in the 2nd round in that order.
    ————————————
    Nice call.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

CHECK OUT MALENIK WATSON here.. flatten MIAMI linebacker

• dr ice 2012

Al_is_theraiders Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 8:02 pm
    moore is a starter?tve missed him play, oh wait maybe it was bball…lol…you guys are high!

—————————-
    Have you seen Moore play obviously not the dudes a baller making stupid comments about him would be like me making comments about A USC player i live in ct got season tickets to uconn are little d1 school got 3 players drafted so far and moore is by far the best any1 who knows anything about this year draft knows this was a 3rd round steal

• Chris in NY

0ak r8rs Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 8:14 pm
    Chris In NY Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 8:11 pm
    0ak r8rs Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 8:06 pm
    Al_is_theraiders Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 8:02 pm

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

———————-

Watson and Moore are total Al players. Freakish athletes with great upside.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

——————————–

Moore is very fast. UConn isn’t really a small school at all. Big East. Al drafted Tyvon Branch from there not long ago. Small school would be D II Hillsdale, where Al got Veldheer from.

• DA Supporter

Who is that real old guy sitting at the Raider table?
    —————-

DA after one or two more seasons as our HC.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Check out WATSON at 1:15 here.. ANIMAL

• http://www.redfrognetworks.com 0ak r8rs

1960AutumnWind Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 8:12 pm
    Were Hayden and Watson “Al Picks”

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Yes to all of that.

• http://www.AmyTraskshouldbeonmountrushmore.com Whats a Drexl?

RaidingTexas Says:
    April 26th, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Whats A Drexl? Says:

Dude comes from the blue side of Manchester, thank gawd.

If he was a United fan I would have puked a little bit in my mouth.

————————————————

Championship #20. Suck it.
    ================
    Band wagon rolling through, hop aboard the Sir Alex train,,,, lmfao!!

• 1960AutumnWind

#133 Nice call Alex. Did not think that guy would be there!

• rediaR

Vic Tafur ‏@VicTafur 21m
    Asked Allen about need for pass rusher. Said they’re still working on it, and that they played Moore at DE at Senior Bowl and he had a sack.

• morilla

Just got back from a ride, I missed the #rd round. First tweet I see is this…

Steve Corkran @CorkOnTheNFL
    Raiders third-round draft pick Sio Moore on being overlooked: “Going to Oakland, they’re going to get a pissed-off linebacker.”

Hell yeah.