Q&A with QB Wilson

The Raiders selected Arkansas quarterback Tyler Wilson with their fourth-round pick Saturday. A short time later, Wilson spoke with the Bay Area media via conference call. Here’s the entire transcript:

Q: What was your level of involvement and contact with the Raiders heading up to this?
Wilson : We had some contact, obviously, they were part of the Senior Bowl. I was on the other team. I was on the Detroit team, but definitely had some contact during the week there at the Senior Bowl and had a one-on-one interview with them a number of times during the week. I thought our connection was very, very good and I thought they were a team going into this that I thought was potentially very, very interesting and so it happened.

Q: How did difficult senior year prepare you for NFL career?
Wilson : Experience as far as my senior year?

Q: Yes, senior year, in terms of what you went through?
Wilson : You know, it as tough. It was a difficult situation. Obviously we were No. 5 in the country, a top five team in my junior season after a great year, went to the Cotton Bowl and you kind of go through a number of things, that test your character, test a lot about you as a football player, and I really love this game and I think that I’m going to be a better player because of it. You learn a lot during those kinds of years.

Q: Regrets about coming back for your senior year?
Wilson: Obviously, I think you, after things pan out you kind of look back and say, `Well, that wasn’t certainly business-wise maybe the smarter thing’ but I’m always, the way I approach it, I know everybody else looks at and probably questions my judgment, but my thought is I wanted to be the most ready, prepared football player that I could be and I thought the only way I could do that would be to go back to school for my senior season, and I think, regardless of what happened, and where you go in the draft, I think I’m a more prepared football player by staying in school. In that regard, I’m extremely happy that I’ve got an opportunity, and still have an opportunity to stay in the NFL.

Q: Did you think you’d go earlier, upset you’re a fourth-round pick?
Wilson : Well, I think it being such a different year in the draft, that I did expect to go a little bit earlier, but I’m so excited I think the situation, going into it, everybody said the situation is what is most important. It’s not necessarily what round or what slot or that, but it’s the situation and I think the situation in Oakland is perfect. My dad’s from the California area, he’s from Southern California , but there’s definitely a lot of family out there. You look at the organization, there’s a lot of tradition in Oakland with three Super Bowls. There’s a lot going on in the right direction. And I’m excited that I get to come in and compete, and potentially have a chance of playing on Sunday and leading the football team. That’s what I’m excited to do is get there as fast as I possibly can and start getting in the playbook.

Q: they have QBs with combined total of three starts, a new offense, so everybody starting off same page, do you look at this as chance to come in and start as a rookie?
Wilson : I think any competitor would agree that they want to play, they want to start, they want to come in and work. But talking to the coaches on the phone, they say, we want you to come in and compete your tail off, and that’s my approach. Wherever that leads me, we’ll see at the end of the day. Obviously we’ve got three pretty good guys in there and I’m going ot come in and compete like crazy.

Do you have an issue with concussions?
“I had the one last year, the Dr. Collins in Pittsburgh, who’s kind of the foremost expert on concussions. Very much cleared in his regard, and got his checkmark of approval, so I feel very confident. I played the remainder of eight games at Arkansas with no problems there, and took some pretty good licks. So I feel very good in that regard.”

Do you take too many hits?
“I think, one, it goes back to playing in a tough conference. And we had to throw the ball in order to be successful. During the two seasons that I was there, we kind of struggled running the football. So there were a lot of teams that were pinning their ears back and trying to pressure us a lot. Unfortunately, it was that type of a situation where a lot of times you had to sit in there and rip it, because of the situation we were in at Arkansas. As a quarterback you’re gonna have to take some shots and compete to give us a chance to win. I knew that. Fortunately, and unfortunately, I was able to take a hit. I think that’s part of my game a little bit.”

Looking forward to playing with Darren McFadden?
“No question. Grew up here in Arkansas as an Arkansas fan, and watched him do what he did for the school and for the university. Obviously he’s done pretty well out there. So anxious to get back there with him and build a relationship and see if we can’t work together.”

How much did former Arkansas coach Bobby Petrino help your development as a QB?
“He’s a tremendous quarterback coach. It’s a quarterback university at whatever school he’s at. The practice is tailored around the quarterback position. So I think any quarterback who plays for him has an advantage on a lot of other quarterbacks from schools because of the knowledge that he expects you to know and the amount of pressure and substance that he puts on the quarterback’s shoulders. I think some years that’s really, really good, and some years it’s a little tougher. But I think I’m ahead of the curve in a lot of ways as far as a freshman coming in – or, I’m sorry, as a rookie coming in – because of what Coach Petrino kind of instilled in the quarterback position. So I’m excited to get in there and learn and figure out what we’re doing offensively. And I think we’ll be ready to go.”

Who did you talk to when Raiders called?
“I talked to Coach Allen. Coach Allen was one of the first people I talked to. As well as Coach (John) DeFilippo and Coach (Greg) Olson. Those were the first few guys I talked to.”

Steve Corkran

• Marks hair

sigh..

• ian85

I hate to say this but damn the whiners r killing it in this draft they r so damn loaded it’s
    Ridiculous and I hate every second of it lattimore is gonna beast out for them but I’m sure they will give him the Michael bush treatment and sit him for a year to get healthy

• ohioraider

OK, I wanna see if anybody here can pick up on the theme in common with all four picks so far. Nothing to do with Al Davis btw.

• irjonny

Want a real QB competition? Draft Tyler Bray in the 6th

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Irjonny Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 12:15 pm
    Raider O Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 12:12 pm
    Irjonny Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 12:06 pm
    Raider O Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 12:03 pm
    TP is a hard worker, he is talented AND he is s freakish athlete, he is cheap, he loves being a Raider, and YOU F…ING MONKEYS want to trade him?!
    ———————————–

yep. imo he is just not good enought to bring competition to this team
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

He scored 3 TDs with 1 TO in his 1st careegr start.
    His CMP% was below 50%, but so was J Locker from Tenn and he is their starting QB.
    ———————————-

i know a lot of people like him. i do too because he is a raider. i just don’t think i want a guy on this team who couldn’t beat out leinart. Flynn and Wilson in my opinion upgrade at QB. TP just a guy people root for
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Lets assume that you are right, Flynn and Wilson are 1&2, we still need a 3rd QB, so why not keep a guy who is cheap, Hard worker, etc…?

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 12:15 pm
    Come off it, Mistic. Go watch the SD game again. Most of Pryor’s completions were him aiming the ball and throwing a marshmallow. He can’t sling it full-out and consistently hit his guy.
    ===========================

maybe that is the only game you have ever seen him play. I chalk it up to half a week of practice and his first nfl start nerves trying to avoid mistakes. more game reps relievs that issue.

he has a rocket arm and if you followed his colleg career you would know that

• dr_robert

Lol. Missdick clowning himself.

Pryor would have been the first qb taken?

We would be lucky to get a 7th for him RIGHT NOW.

LOVE MISSDICK THE CLOWN BOY.

• PlunkforHOF

I was just thinking the Skins gave up 2 first round picks for RGIII and he got the living crap kicked out of him his 1st year. Will he be the same after surgery?I think Pryor was a bargain, and I’m pulling for him to be great. That said, I still got no qualms about the Wilson pick.

• lefty12

S,DT,WR,or RB-in no particular order

• ArtilleryShell

Did anyone draft the DE/OLB from Georgia. Classic Al Davis pick, great triangle numbers, not much production ( hey, gotta pay a little homage)

• realtruraider

Players we should get in 6th

TE Otten
    RB Maysonet
    S Rambo

OLB Jenkins would of ben a good pick but just got picked up by the Redskins

• shutdown

Mystic, I’m not a Pryor hate, just don’t think he possesses the skills to be starter at QB.

The only way you’re going to be happy is if our first and second string guys get hurt and that’s not good for the team.

If you’re truly a Pryor fan, you need to reconcile yourself to 1) his being found a new position or his being incorporated into change of pace packages or 2) his being traded so that a) we’ll benefit by adding someone else we need or b) you’ll MAYBE get to watch him work for some other team.

Obviously, no one has been beating down our door offering good picks or trades for TP.

• alzadoX

Florida St. DE Brandon Jenkins is off the board.
    Run on lightweight RDE/OLB edge rushers

• irjonny

Terrelle Pryor does not get 3+ professional years to prove he is worth playing time IMO. the proof is in the pudding. i hate TP conversations so this is it for me.

Draft Bray in the 6th…screw it

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

JENKINS!!!!!!!!!

F…ING Skins! I hate them too!

• ArtilleryShell

Tyler Wilson was a great pick at that spot, no pressure, adds depth, he competes, what can it hurt? Flynn knows the pro game better than the other two, but does not have their physical tools

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 12:18 pm

he has a rocket arm and if you followed his colleg career you would know that

================================================

Yes, Pryor does have a rocket arm. But it’s like a sawed-off shotgun: who knows where the passes will go? If a full-out pass by TP hits its target, it’s more coincidence than anything else.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

peace

the raiders front office and players believe in pryor that is why he is in the mix and will start at some point this year.

that is why his team mates have been practicing with him all off season

lol some of you are going to look really silly

• ian85

Wilson would have absolutely been a top ten pick this year had Petrino not FCKED up TP will not beat Wilson out Pryor brigade is sh!ting there pants right now lmfao

• lefty12

Only here would people let some goofball focus the discussion away from the task at hand.You guys have 4 months to argue about a certain 3rd string QB.Stick to the task at hand-the draft.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

I feel Sick.
    JENKINS?!

• The_Civilian_James_Trapp

The reason he couldn’t beat out leinart is because the retards on the coaching staff wouldn’t let him…Shaw praising Al Davis? Oh great, now Reggie won’t consider him after he’s forced to fire t!Ts next year

• shutdown

Also, Mystic,

Take heed this year to look at a how Colin Kaepernick’s running tendencies will be gradually changed as his passing skills and ability to read a d improve.

Same with RGIII.

While Pryor can run, there’s absolutely no evidence he can read defenses and throw quick accurate throws to avoid having to run.

That’s what you ultimately want: an offense and a qb who don’t_have_to_run.

• Try Some Reality

ArtilleryShell Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 12:19 pm

=============================================

Reggie, Clinkscales, and the scouts were given the Al Davis draft overview projector briefing.

• Whoknows

Next live chat, try telling Cork we should have passed on Wilson and signed Sanchez instead. Count the number of minutes before he stops laughing.
    *********************
    Cork doesn’t really know much about the Raider. I don’t even think he likes them.

• lefty12

Realtrue-I forgot about TE,another need position.

• Marks hair

gonna be a tuff yr…

• ArtilleryShell

Cornelius Washington and we do need a TE

• Marks hair

wilson=flynn with smaller hands and weaker fundamentals.. needs alot of work… should have grabbed an impact player now and a vet qb later. Phillip Thomas is a ballhawk.. gaffe..

• Myopinion

O,
    They said the dirty word with him.
    Lisfrank

ArtilleryShell Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 12:19 pm

=============================================

——————————————————————————–
    That is funny

• PilagingJustForFun

Now hand size?? Come on ladies

• ian85

Mistic is having a complete meltdown I love it what a pathetic little cross posting troll u have been owned u fcking little racist clown

• Try Some Reality

Lefty12 Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 12:22 pm

=======================================

The bigoted goofball in question is upset that Reggie declared Flynn the #1 QB and has just drafted Tyler Wilson, so he sought to rile up the blog.

Hey bigoted goofball – have no fear. Houdini is working hard and he will make a case for himself, so your agenda may be safe for now.

• realtruraider

04/21/2013 – ROB RANG’S 2013 NFL DRAFT DIAMONDS IN THE ROUGH: Ryan Otten, San Jose State, 6-5, 230, 4.73 … If not for a frightening staph infection which at one point threatened his life, Otten might be considered a potential top 100 prospect. He flashed this kind of ability while hauling down passes at San Jose State and earning an invitation to the Senior Bowl. While lacking the bulk and strength scouts are looking for as a traditional in-line blocker, Otten is a slippery route-runner with soft, reliable hands and enough speed to threaten the seam.

——————————————————

Like Hayden he also could of died.

• The Beeech Diggity Dawg

YO YO YO DRAFT DAY DIGGITY N FULL EFFECT

Whut up draft dorks

The Dawg give 5 BARKS UP for all our hella dope pick, and the Lawg gives a FULL SALUTE (total boner)

That cornerback homie is fast as KrappyRat sprinting to cash his allowance check

Don’t know much about the OL but he looks totally pissed and can probably crush some fools in his fro

Got some more commentary, but first need to chow my girlfriend Chantal’s furry muffin

She wanted to shave it high & tight for the Dawg, but I was all like “Awwwww, Hellz No”, let the kitty represent the 70′s with mad fresh flava

ALL SIZZLE NO FIZZLE

• Raider Riff

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 12:15 pm

———

And without his mobility, the passes never would have been thrown. Any other QB gets killed behind our Oline last year.

• shutdown

Mystic says, regarding Pryor, “that is why his team mates have been practicing with him all off season”

Ummm, they need practice and he’s the only guy they know that’s left with the team.

T Owens practices with everyone and he’s not even able to get on a team.

• Try Some Reality

Raider Riff Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 12:31 pm
    Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 12:15 pm

———

======================================

Exactly.

• Raider Riff

Dr_robert Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 12:14 pm
    The qb draft was considered weak only due to the lack of a high first rounder.

But it had a LOT if viable guys who could end up doing well.

They were ALL 2-4 rounders really. And that likely included geno and Manuel.

———–

True true true.

But admit it, had Pryor finished out his career, he’d have been the easy 1st QB taken.

• Try Some Reality

And let’s get this straight, just because I don’t care for the bigoted goofball’s antics in here, doesn’t mean I’m down for all the Houdini hate. Houdini has done nothing but act like a leader and class act here. Some of you need to get behind him and just stop the crap.

• HighPlains Raider

Pryor
    Wilson
    Flynn

• realtruraider

Picks are coming up soon, I think we will get TE Ryan Otten and/or RB Maysonett with one of these early 6th rd picks

• irjonny

RB Andre Ellington

• Raider Riff

Try Some Reality Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 12:34 pm

————-

And that is REALITY of the situation.

• irjonny

Jordan Poyer would be nice.
    OLB Chase Thomas
    S Rambo
    QB Tyler Bray
    DE Joe Kruger

• Chris in NY

Rambo’s still out there too?

• Myopinion

Talking bout barner id like him.