Q&A with Raiders TE Rivera

By Steve Corkran
Saturday, April 27th, 2013 at 2:58 pm in Oakland Raiders.

The Raiders used two sixth-round picks on tight ends, the second of those being Tennessee’s Mychal Rivera. Here is what he had to say in a conference call with Bay Area media Saturday:

Q: Were you watching draft and see Raiders took another tight end and did that affect you?
A: The draft is crazy. Sometimes some teams pick up two tight ends, some teams need those. Some teams pick up one. I didn’t really have an opinion of it. I was just waiting for my phone call to ring.

Q: What did you think when saw the 510 area code on your phone?
A: Oh man I was really excited, staying in California is really a dream come true. I’m just really proud to be a Raider.

Q: Reggie McKenzie was at your pro day. Any interaction?
A: Yeah I did. I actually talked to him after I did my bench press because I had increased my bench press from 17 reps to 21. I talked to him after that and let him know I wasn’t a weak player. He kind of laughed with me and shared some laughs and some jokes. Really cool guy and I’m just really happy to be playing for a guy like that.

Q: At your size, is proving can handle physical part of tight end the question?
A: I think the Raiders have an idea what they want to do with me. They’re going to want to motion me, they’re going to want to split me out and do similar things that I did at Tennessee. I’m really great catching the ball. I think that’s what they’re going to use me for, my catching ability.

Q; Senior Bowl interaction with Raiders?
A: I was on the Detroit Lions they were on other team. Since the pro day I got a call for every team. I think the Raiders called about three or four times to confirm some information and talk with me a little bit. It wasn’t really anything special. Just normal conversation

What was Tyler Wilson like working with him at the Senior Bowl?
“Tyler Wilson has a great arm and he’s a great leader. That’s really important to be a great leader. When he steps into the huddle, he demands your attention and that’s very important for a quarterback.”

Were you aware of the Raiders having a wide open tight end competition?
“That’s awesome, that’s the best situation I could find myself in. I would be cool sitting behind a veteran or something but this is a great situation being as I can compete for being a starter. That’s awesome, I can’t ask for anything better.”

When you come out here, are you going to bring any family members with you?
“(Laughs) No, my sister, she’s gonna stay down here in Los Angeles, she’s gotta work.”

Do you have a Twitter account?
“yeah, it’s just at my first name and my last name, @MychalRivera”

Have you picked up any followers yet, Raiders fans can be pretty crazy?
“Yeah, I know, they’re starting to follow me already, starting to get the Raider Nation hashtag start following.”

Do you feel like you’re flown under the radar?
“Definitely. Looking at the research I’ve done on the first team SEC tight ends, looking at a guy like Dwayne Allen going third round last year, Orson (Charles) going fourth round the year before that, the guy from Arkansas going fourth round, I feel like I kinda went under the radar a little bit but that’s how my career’s been. Ever since high school, ever since Pop Warner I’ve been the last picked guy and gotta prove myself and I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

• GForce21

Who starts at TE then?

• aig-raiders

Watching Murray’s youtube and I see cool stuff. Kid runs inside and follows his blockers. Doesnt always look to bounce outside and can make the cuts at full speed. Doesnt go down at first arm tackle. Saw him squat 485lbs. BTW, squatting for a RB is much more important than benching 225s.

How did this guy fall to the 6th round? A steal!!!!!

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Marks Hair Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 2:57 pm
    in 4 yrs he can be dhb.. we need a real wr next yr.

======================================

If Moore has his head screwed on straight, nothing wrong with him and Streater starting with Criner in the slot.

• RaidingTexas

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 2:54 pm
    Brice is currently crediting Jesus with his draft selection. I’ll spare you all a description of my eyerolling.

—————————————

Noticing most of these draft picks are referencing god and such. Worries me.

• GForce21

Does 32 year old Jeremy Shockey still want to play football?

• dr_robert

Kids with faith are strong minded.

• Marks hair

3. nothing wrong?

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

GForce21 Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 3:00 pm
    Does 32 year old Jeremy Shockey still want to play football?

====================================

Somebody was banging the drum for him HARD last preseason. Was it you?

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Marks Hair Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 3:02 pm
    3. nothing wrong?

=====================================

No, nothing wrong. Moore, Streater and Criner can all make plays on the ball, and Moore and Streater are plenty fast. Biggest question to is whether Moore is finally off the rag or not.

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

*to me

• GForce21

Yeah, me and Method/B@uce I think.

• Marks hair

poyers a steal here

• Pirate Arrrggghhhh

Am I right? If any of you hypothetically went into a coma before Al died and woke up the day after the 2013 draft, then took a look at the players selected by the Raiders, would you have any reason to doubt these were Al’s picks? (And that’s not a criticism, quite the contrary.)

I mean this as a serious question. What do you think?

It seems to me, the biggest difference and the reason Davis failed over the last decade never give a rats ass about work ethic in evaluating players, where as Reggie seems to value it like other teams value the 40 time.

• RaiderDebo

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 2:45 pm
    Chaz Schilens was a 7th round pick.. could have been something if he stayed healthy

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

If Chaz had stayed healthy, I could have been something too!

Sincerely,

JaMarcus Russell

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Dr_robert Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 3:02 pm
    Kids with faith are strong minded.

====================================

I could argue the point, but…whatever. If believing what he believes makes him a better football player, then so be it. He can chant “El Shaddai” until the sun goes down for all I care, as long as he follows it up with some touchdowns.

• Chris in NY

aig-raiders Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 2:59 pm

How did this guy fall to the 6th round? A steal!!!!!

———————————–

Yeah. I saw Murray play a couple of times. Great pickup. No idea why he wasn’t picked sooner.

• ron69

P Brad Wing anyone?

• SilverAndBlackBleeder

doubt he falls to us now; but if we can finish up with Tony Jefferson, maaaaaan…..

• Marks hair

I think we have maybe the worst group or receivers in the league including te’s.

• Chris in NY

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 3:02 pm
    GForce21 Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 3:00 pm
    Does 32 year old Jeremy Shockey still want to play football?

====================================

Somebody was banging the drum for him HARD last preseason. Was it you?

——————

That was me.

• RaidingTexas

Dr_robert Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 3:02 pm
    Kids with faith are strong minded.

————————————–

Feel free to build yourself a team of Tim Tebows and Aaron Currys.

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Marks Hair Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 3:06 pm

=====================================

Your opinion. One that I do not share.

• rediaR

Sucks to be Bray

• http://000 Bob Marley

Massive hangover…

I just started looking at our picks and man I am loving this draft.

Athletic players with plenty of potential to develop.

Reggie, great job.

Later, I need to sleep this out.

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Also, if Reggie were to bring in Tyler Bray, he’d have to draft him. If he hits UDFA, Bray will go somewhere without a promising young QB.

• Marks hair

I didnt want any of these qb’s

• Pirate Arrrggghhhh

It seems true that an isolated 80 year old man is not going relate to the psyche of a 21 year old kid, there’s just too much of a generation gap. Consequntly all Al ever focused on were measurables and highlight film. As a result, he got a bunch of guys with freakish physical skills who ended up relaxing in their easy chair after signing their contracts, rather than becoming football players

• PilagingJustForFun

Poyer must have failed the drug test if he’s still available

• dr_robert

Wow. Brad sorenson just got picked ahead of bray and dysert.

Bray has the most arm talent in the draft. He must be a complete tool.

• rediaR

PilagingJustForFun Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 3:13 pm
    Poyer must have failed the drug test if he’s still available
    ———————
    Eagles took him a little bit ago.

• Chris in NY

What about Lawrence Okoye here?

He’s the English discus/shot-put guy who’s like 6-6, 300 and ran something like a 4.7 at a workout recently. Not sure he’s ever played a down of football, but threw his hat into the ring based off his freakish size-athleticism combo.

That’s the kind of pick I like in rounds 6 and 7. Get some guy with huge upside like that rather than some guy who was the 3rd WR on his college team and will never amount to more than a practice squad player, at best.

• Marks hair

poyers gone.. philly stole him.. we took dhb 2

• itzSteve

Leon Sandcastle ‏@LeonSandcastle 5m
    This is an outrage. LEON SANDCASTLE FOR MR. @irrelevantweek!!! #MrIrrelevant #FreeLeonSandcastle

• alzadoX

this may date me but I remember Bobby Butler… he was like 168 lbs at about 5-10 speedy CB I think out of Florida State ages ago. First rounder, despite his size if I remember correctly

his kid’s a lot bigger and maybe faster in 40. Now we’ll see how he plays and where Raiders play him

Steve Corkran ‏@CorkOnTheNFL 19m

Brice Butler’s father, Bobby, played 12 seasons for the Atlanta Falcons as a defensive back.

• PilagingJustForFun

Reggie didn’t want to give DA to much to work with! He has to bring Gruden back next year,boss said!!

• dr_robert

Bray would come here cuz the position is wide open to be taken.

• alzadoX

interesting that Dysert was compared to Tyler Wilson by many–and rated equally (very) high at nfl.com

dr_robert Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Wow. Brad sorenson just got picked ahead of bray and dysert.

Bray has the most arm talent in the draft. He must be a complete tool.

• redshirt

LaTuvious Mosbey. That cat’s got wheels.

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

PilagingJustForFun Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 3:15 pm

======================================

Christ on a crutch. Enough with the Gruden talk, please?

• Priesttj12

Chris in NY Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 3:05 pm
    aig-raiders Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 2:59 pm

How did this guy fall to the 6th round? A steal!!!!!

———————————–

**********************************
    Right there with ya’ LM could be the steal of ths draft for us he has great size and ability. Physical runner with great feet. Was a feature back fo the golden knights.

• redshirt

Some kid out of Southern Utah went before Bray.

• Chris in NY

After witnessing Okoye’s workout at the Super Regional Combine at Cowboys Stadium, NFL.com and NFL Network analyst Bucky Brooks wrote: The British Olympian was the talk of the event after putting together a spectacular showing on the turf. Checking in at 6-foot-6 and 304 pounds with 34 1/2-inch arms, Okoye blazed the 40-yard dash in 4.78 seconds and posted impressive numbers in the vertical (35 inches) and broad jumps (10-foot-5). Those are ridiculous numbers for a guy his size, which is why scouts certainly are intrigued by his talent and potential as a developmental project. (The 21-year-old finished 12th in the discus at the 2012 London Olympic Games and is an accomplished rugby player, but he’s new to the game of football.) Now, based on his positional workout, Okoye does have to make significant strides before he’s ready for the pro game.

• Chris in NY

- that last post is from NFL.com

• GForce21

Yeah, what is the deal with Bray? General douchebaggery plus poor work ethic seems to affect players differently.

Some go undrafted, some get picked 1 overall in 2007 or 2nd overall in 1998.

• Priesttj12

Reggie did OK nothing spectacular but very good quality.

• http://Raiders4Ever.com 860Todd Christensen

Go Reggie GO

• PilagingJustForFun

It’s a process

• GForce21

PilagingJustForFun Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 3:15 pm

——–

If not Gruden, maybe David Shaw.

• itzSteve

Steve Corkran ‏@CorkOnTheNFL 1m
    All those folks pining for Tennessee QB Tyler Bray. The Raiders might be able to sign him as an undrafted free agent, at this rate.

• Marks hair

weak bray IS as good as weak willson… thats why we should have drafted a starting safety in the fourth round instead of a project backup quarterback that we could have gotten in the seventh round……whiff