Q&A with Raiders TE Rivera

The Raiders used two sixth-round picks on tight ends, the second of those being Tennessee’s Mychal Rivera. Here is what he had to say in a conference call with Bay Area media Saturday:

Q: Were you watching draft and see Raiders took another tight end and did that affect you?
A: The draft is crazy. Sometimes some teams pick up two tight ends, some teams need those. Some teams pick up one. I didn’t really have an opinion of it. I was just waiting for my phone call to ring.

Q: What did you think when saw the 510 area code on your phone?
A: Oh man I was really excited, staying in California is really a dream come true. I’m just really proud to be a Raider.

Q: Reggie McKenzie was at your pro day. Any interaction?
A: Yeah I did. I actually talked to him after I did my bench press because I had increased my bench press from 17 reps to 21. I talked to him after that and let him know I wasn’t a weak player. He kind of laughed with me and shared some laughs and some jokes. Really cool guy and I’m just really happy to be playing for a guy like that.

Q: At your size, is proving can handle physical part of tight end the question?
A: I think the Raiders have an idea what they want to do with me. They’re going to want to motion me, they’re going to want to split me out and do similar things that I did at Tennessee. I’m really great catching the ball. I think that’s what they’re going to use me for, my catching ability.

Q; Senior Bowl interaction with Raiders?
A: I was on the Detroit Lions they were on other team. Since the pro day I got a call for every team. I think the Raiders called about three or four times to confirm some information and talk with me a little bit. It wasn’t really anything special. Just normal conversation

What was Tyler Wilson like working with him at the Senior Bowl?
“Tyler Wilson has a great arm and he’s a great leader. That’s really important to be a great leader. When he steps into the huddle, he demands your attention and that’s very important for a quarterback.”

Were you aware of the Raiders having a wide open tight end competition?
“That’s awesome, that’s the best situation I could find myself in. I would be cool sitting behind a veteran or something but this is a great situation being as I can compete for being a starter. That’s awesome, I can’t ask for anything better.”

When you come out here, are you going to bring any family members with you?
“(Laughs) No, my sister, she’s gonna stay down here in Los Angeles, she’s gotta work.”

Do you have a Twitter account?
“yeah, it’s just at my first name and my last name, @MychalRivera”

Have you picked up any followers yet, Raiders fans can be pretty crazy?
“Yeah, I know, they’re starting to follow me already, starting to get the Raider Nation hashtag start following.”

Do you feel like you’re flown under the radar?
“Definitely. Looking at the research I’ve done on the first team SEC tight ends, looking at a guy like Dwayne Allen going third round last year, Orson (Charles) going fourth round the year before that, the guy from Arkansas going fourth round, I feel like I kinda went under the radar a little bit but that’s how my career’s been. Ever since high school, ever since Pop Warner I’ve been the last picked guy and gotta prove myself and I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

Steve Corkran

• rediaR

Damn. Pats keep getting the guys I want.

• http://000 Bob Marley

And yes, Al’s tradition of drafting gifted athletes and size-speed prospects remains, but Reggie is probably digging a litte deeper into these kids than Al was willing or able to as he got older and started to lose his health and energy.

Out.

Chris you and I share a lot of the same views, let me know if you are liking this draft as much as I am buddy.

• PilagingJustForFun

Christ on a crutch?? Talking bad about both my Saviors now!

• dr_robert

According to gruden, we got the best qb in the draft.

• http://www.redfrognetworks.com 0ak r8rs

Marks Hair Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 3:14 pm
    poyers gone.. philly stole him.. we took dhb 2

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Exactly. Butler sucks. Wasted pick. Reggie trying to recreate streater by picking another guy that had barely any attempts in college. Only difference is that temple didn’t pass. SDSU does nothing but pass, just not to his slow, lanky @ss.

• alzadoX

Steelers picked DT Nick Williams from Samford. DE Buchannan also off board was drawing interest here

• Priesttj12

alzadoX Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 3:15 pm
    this may date me but I remember Bobby Butler… he was like 168 lbs at about 5-10 speedy CB I think out of Florida State ages ago. First rounder, despite his size if I remember correctly

his kid’s a lot bigger and maybe faster in 40. Now we’ll see how he plays and where Raiders play him

Steve Corkran ‏@CorkOnTheNFL 19m

Brice Butler’s father, Bobby, played 12 seasons for the Atlanta Falcons as a defensive back.
    **********************************
    I did not know that Brice was Bobby’s kid. Bobby played a long time and was a solid DB could make plays. When he went to USC he was one of top rated kids out of highschool in the country highly touted.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

DT are dime a dozen too.. plenty UDFA

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Not DTs that can rush the passer and disrupt a backfield. Don’t think we will find that in the 6th or 7th either. Not my point. Rather take a flyer on a DB or RB or DT than a TE.

——————

those were gone by round 4.. Raiders took a flier on Murray, McGee, Got plenty of CBs right now. Had No TE’s.. again what was the issue?

• dr_robert

Butler slow? Ridiculous.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Via Walter football since the 3rd round

66. Sio Moore, LB, Connecticut: A- Grade
    It’s useless to stay whether or not an Oakland pick filled a need because the team has huge holes everywhere. Sio Moore was one of the top players available. He’ll offer some pass-rushing ability out of the linebacker position, much like former Raider Kamerion Wimbley.

112. Tyler Wilson, QB, Arkansas: B Grade
    That’s exactly what the Raiders utilize, so it’s a good fit. I’m not sure if Wilson can ever develop into a starter, but he should be a solid, game-managing backup at the very worst.

172. Nick Kasa, TE, Colorado: B+ Grade
    The Raiders really wanted a tight end earlier, but they’re definitely fine with Nick Kasa here, who fits the range. Oakland lost Brandon Myers to the Giants, so Kasa could start this year.

181. Latavius Murray, RB, Central Florida: B Grade
    Darren McFadden will get injured at some point during the 2013 season, so the Raiders need a solid running back to step in. Murray, perceived to be a sixth-round prospect by many, is a larger back who should be able to pass the mediocre Rashad Jennings on the depth chart at some point.

184. Mychal Rivera, TE, Tennessee: B Grade
    Two tight ends in the same round? Seems crazy, but I don’t mind this because Nick Kasa and Mychal Rivera are two different players. Kasa will serve as the inline blocker, while Rivera will be the move tight end. The Raiders had nothing at the position, so they absolutely had to take care of this, especially when considering Matt Flynn’s noodle arm. Rivera fits the range.

205. Stacy McGee, DT, Oklahoma: B Grade
    The Raiders finally draft a defensive tackle 202 selections after most people thought they’d take one. Stacy McGee is a solid player for this pick.

209. Brice Butler, WR, San Diego State: B Grade
    Al Davis would have liked Brice Butler. He was a workout warrior who drew heavy interest as a late-round prospect. Darrius Heyward-Bey is gone, so might as well replace him with Butler.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Tyler wilson doesnt have a weak arm though

• realtruraider

Dr_robert Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 3:23 pm
    According to gruden, we got the best qb in the draft.

——————————————————

Link? I have one that he said Nassib was his #1 QB in this draft if you want it.

I like the pick but no need to make up BS

• PilagingJustForFun

Is it over?

• Aphid

Murray (a RB) is just what we needed because of DMAC’s injuries through out is years.

BTW, you guys think that Reggie is going to trade down our last pick at 233 for 2 7th rounders?

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

all picks in the 6th and 7th rounds are just fewer calls Reggie has to make during the UDFA signings

—————

Pretty much. Rod Streter was almost a 5th round selection last year

• RaiderRetribution

Another QB, Arizona’s, Scott.

• Chris in NY

Bob Marley Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 3:21 pm

Out.

—————————-

Yeah. I’m pretty happy with it. Love the Moore, Murray and Watson picks. Love the trading back to pick up some additional selections. OK with Hayden after the trade down.

Some of the later guys I’m really not all that familiar with, so I’ll have to see. There were a few times where guys I really wanted were sitting there and we passed. I was really disappointed we passed on Swope, but I was unaware of the concussion concerns. Still, I think he was worth a flier at that point.

Anyway, I’d give Reg about a B+ for this draft right now.

• Marks hair

I didn’t mean Wilson’s arm is weak its adequate I meant he is weak as in his game.. Flynn with weaker mechanics.. could have drafted a starting safety. a good one

• PilagingJustForFun

Just undrafted baby!

• itzSteve

LOL…Frank Caliendo as Mel Kiper is priceless!!!

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

RaiderRetribution Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 3:27 pm
    Another QB, Arizona’s, Scott.

======================================

You realize that if Reggie took another QB, the Pryor-lovers’ heads would explode?

• dr_robert

At the beginning of the draft, when they were discussing geno, gruden said “I don’t think genos the best qb in the draft. What about tyler Wilson?”

• Chris in NY

RaiderRetribution Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 3:27 pm
    Another QB, Arizona’s, Scott.

———————–

Would be an incredible pick up. I was on board with taking him in the 4th when we got Wilson.

• redshirt

Colts just picked up their own late-round blazer in Sherwin Williams.

• dr_robert

Take another qb!

Kill the Pryor Brigade!

• http://www.redfrognetworks.com 0ak r8rs

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 3:25 pm
    DT are dime a dozen too.. plenty UDFA

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

——————

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Safety. I like Murray. Don’t like butler.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Most of these 7th round picks will not be on the team.

Could be some decent waiver wire pickups for Reggie. Remember only 53 guys are cuttin it

• Marks hair

who names their kid after a paint store?

• dr_robert

Blazer? Watching Sherman Williams run is like watching paint dry.

• PilagingJustForFun

Get OVA it!

• realtruraider

CB Roby

WR Rogers

two interesting possible picks here

• shutdown

Butler’s dad was former Falcon cornerback Bobby Butler. So he has a pedigree.

• itzSteve

Still laughing my azz off…Frank Caliendo as Mel Kiper…

• http://000 Bob Marley

The Seahawks approached Brice Butler before the draft and asked him about plating CB and he said he was wililing to do it, they have Richard Sherman so they know it can be done, either way WR or CB, 6’3 214 kids with sub 4.4 speed and NFL bloodlines are rare, I am glad we brought him in.

• http://www.redfrognetworks.com 0ak r8rs

Dr_robert Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 3:25 pm
    Butler slow? Ridiculous.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Average hands. Can’t get off the LOS. No quickness. First two steps are SLOW. Because he is so tall. Just reading the scouting reports. Posted on an earlier thread.

• irjonny

Marks Hair Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 3:32 pm
    who names their kid after a paint store?
    ———————

Kelly Moore?

• Chris in NY

Matt Scott or Okoye. Okoye would be a nice tribute to Al.

• RaiderLen

Afternoon Fellas.

I like the Murray pick quite a bit. Agree with Priest about His feet.

If/when DMAC goes down I can see this guy stepping right in. Not as fast, but better feet and change of direction.

I’m no expert, but on paper I like the picks.

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Redshirt Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 3:31 pm
    Colts just picked up their own late-round blazer in Sherwin Williams.

==========================================

The paint magnate?

• itzSteve

Steve Corkran ‏@CorkOnTheNFL 1m
    Raiders rookie RB Latavius Murray, 6-3 and 223 pounds, compares his running style to that of Vikings standout RB Adrian Peterson.

• PilagingJustForFun

• lefty12

WR-Mark Harrison?

• Marks hair

maybe we can draft de home depot

• Al_is_theraiders

shrek is downing the maple syrup…

• 1960AutumnWind

Pirate Arrrggghhhh Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 3:04 pm
    Am I right? If any of you hypothetically went into a coma before Al died and woke up the day after the 2013 draft, then took a look at the players selected by the Raiders, would you have any reason to doubt these were Al’s picks? (And that’s not a criticism, quite the contrary.)

I mean this as a serious question. What do you think?

It seems to me, the biggest difference and the reason Davis failed over the last decade never give a rats ass about work ethic in evaluating players, where as Reggie seems to value it like other teams value the 40 time.
    *******************************
    To be serious the difference is the trade downs to pick up more picks. Everyone except Sio Moore could concieveable be an Al pick (a lot of developmental boom bust guys later in draft and even in the 2nd).

• realtruraider

Bob Marley Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 3:34 pm
    The Seahawks approached Brice Butler before the draft and asked him about plating CB and he said he was wililing to do it, they have Richard Sherman so they know it can be done, either way WR or CB, 6′3 214 kids with sub 4.4 speed and NFL bloodlines are rare, I am glad we brought him in.

——————————————-

I saw this too but after reading scouting report he sounds like the exact opposite of a CB

• Marks hair

murray runs like s. jackson

• redshirt

Dr_robert Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 3:32 pm
    Blazer? Watching Sherman Williams run is like watching paint dry.

****************

He ain’t no LoTorious Murrow, I’ll give you that.

• Al_is_theraiders