Q&A with TE Kasa

The Raiders selected Colorado tight end Nick Kasa with the first of their four sixth-round picks Saturday. A short time later, he spoke with the Bay Area media via conference call. Here is the entire transcript:

Q: What went into your switch from DE to TE?
A: I just wasn’t producing a lot at defensive end. I guess I was kind of more of a second-string, third-string guy and so at the time I was disappointed in the production that I was getting there and I went to our head coach at the time, which was John Embree, and just asked him, I think I can be of more use to the team, whether that’s just getting on special teams, I really wasn’t on any special teams so I just asked him if that was the case, or if I should move positions. I told him he could move me wherever he wanted to move me and he kind of saw that we had some needs at tight end so he moved me over there and it turned out being a very good decision and worked out for me.

Q: Play TE or any other offensive positions in high school?
A: I played a little bit of tight end when I first got to high school…like two weeks and then I got moved over to defensive end and that was really the only other time I’ve ever played tight end for like two weeks, and then when I made the move in college.

Q: Amazing that you made that move in college and then now you’re an NFL draft pick, or kind of hoping for it when you made the switch?
A: It definitely was something I was hoping for when I made the switch but yeah, of course, it’s really surreal right now. Just the strides that I’ve made in the past year and a half have been amazing and I hope to keep it going. I think just for myself right now, I’m not where I want to be, I know that I can still make a ton more of progress and I’m going to try and do that every day. Every day, that’s kind of been my motto — I’ve got to get better at something every single day and I think I did that over the season. My progress, just week to week in games, I think you see it in game tape, I’ve got to keep it going. I love the coaches out there in Oakland and I loved working with them at the Senior Bowl so I’m ready to get out there and work for them again.

Q: Did your dad play with Tony Sparano in college?
A: No.

Q: He went to New Haven, right, your dad?
A: Yeah, he did.

Q: How would you describe that experience at Senior Bowl week with the Raiders coaches?
A: It was pretty awesome just to see a little bit of how the NFL might work out and just kind of the schemes and planning that they can do. I mean, it definitely helps out, I think, that I got the coaching there and now I get to go play for the same coaches, which is amazing to me. I love them all and can’t wait to put in a bunch of work with them and get better.

Q: Raiders don’t have an established starter at tight end, aware of that and feel you’re ready to come in and compete for substantial playing time?
A: I was and yes, of course, I’m ready to go compete. I talked to Coach Hutson and I’m just ready to get in there and do what I can and try to earn my spot and we’ll see how it all works out when I get there but I know that I’m going to work my butt off and do everything that I can. So, we’ll see who comes out of that spot in the fall.

Q: As draft wore on, were you hoping Raiders would draft you?
A: “Yeah, I knew they liked me a lot. I had talked with a bunch of the coaches down there at the Senior Bowl and I had a great time with them. They saw my work ethic down there. That’s kind of what maybe turned them on to drafting me here in this draft. I’m ready to get down there and start working again. Definitely what I showed at the Senior Bowl is what they wanted to see and that’s why we’re at where we are right now. I just got to keep it going.”

Q: Do you have much special teams experience?
A: “I do. I played on every single special teams this year at one point or another. I started on a good part of them for the entire year. I knew that I needed to do that, especially just playing one year at tight end. I’m ready to play any special teams that they want me to play. I’ll do anything I can to get on the field. I’m a football player, I’m not just a tight end. Obviously, coming from playing defensive line to tight end, they got to be good at other things besides just trying to block people and catch the ball. I’m ready to get on the field wherever they want me to get on.”

Q: What did you show the Raiders staff during Senior Bowl practices?
A: “I showed just the progress that I had made, even from the season to the Senior Bowl. There had been kind of question marks whether I was just strictly a blocker or that kind of thing. I kind of showed them athleticism, that I do have hands and I’m still making strides every single day to improve my hands, to improve my route running and the passing game in general. They can see that, and I’m going to keep working my butt off to keep furthering that progress in the future. I hope to be one of the best tight ends in the league some day. That’s a goal of mine, and I don’t take it lightly. So, I’m going to keep working and do whatever I can to accomplish that goal.”

Q: How difficult to stay focused playing on a team that lost so many games last season?
A: “It was pretty difficult. Nobody likes to lose. I hope that they get that program turned around in the future. I loved Colorado, I loved CU, the university, and I just hope that they can get it turned around. For me, really, working on tight end, it’s been difficult but it’s also been one of the funnest things that I’ve done. Practicing, catching the ball, running routes and those kinds of things are just a lot of fun. Even doing a defensive line practice where you just got to butt heads for an hour and a half straight. Really right now, it’s just exciting for me. I’ve loved every bit of it. I love playing tight end and I just love playing football in general. I’m ready to get out and finally start working on football again instead of just training for the combine, running a 40 and all these kinds of things. Even after that, just kind of training here in Boulder by myself. I’m ready to get with the team and just start grinding.”

Steve Corkran

• PilagingJustForFun

Whatever

• 1960AutumnWind

SilverLining20 Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 2:31 pm
    Bcz24 Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 2:30 pm
    stacy mcgee? a whole 2.5 sacks…
    ******************
    More than half the sacks of the 5th overall pick

Lol
    ***********************
    How many sacks compared to Maimi’s pass rush specialist taken 3rd overall?

• http://www.redfrognetworks.com 0ak r8rs

Surprised we picked McGee. Arrested for pot in 2011. Arrested for drunk driving in 2012. Inconsistent work ethic. Sounds more like an Al pick then a Reggie pick.

• http://www.raiders.com Silverandblack666

One thing I said in February was Reggie would have 20 new faces on this team come camp and I think he is about there.

• Raidernationdave

Sounds like a good fit.

+++++++++

WEAKNESSES Lack of production throughout career. Multiple off the field incidents; suspensions. Doesn’t use his hands enough. Won’t finish plays after initial surge. Has been frequently rotated in order to maximize freshness. Needs to show more power.

• http://www.raiders.com Silverandblack666

“Sounds more like an Al pick then a Reggie pick.”

LOL so did the first pick

• rediaR

6th round flyer. Low risk.

• RaidingTexas

Yeah, the McGee pick is def out of character for Reggie. Guess he’s a reform project.

• PilagingJustForFun

George Jefferson

• itzSteve

Vic Tafur ‏@VicTafur 34s
    At one point, 6-3, 308-pound McGee was ranked Top 15 defensive tackle coming out of high school. Good foot speed for three-technique

• Al_is_theraiders

shrek is beyond confused…might be bipolar, maybe has adhd….could be the concussions.

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Is Al_is really whining about a sixth-round pick?

SMH

• The Beeech Diggity Dawg

8RaiderReign8 Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 2:32 pm
    The Beeech Diggity Dawg Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 2:29 pm
    Pretty sure I hooked up with Nickayla at a UCLA frat party a while back

Or at least with chick who looked like her (and her friend, menage a trois style)

Was totally hammered and she came up and just grabbed the Lawg and asked if there was anywhere private we could go to make out and talk about a possible relationship

Guess y’all know how that story ends, heh heh heh

You’re right, with major intercourse

BOOYAH
    ______________________

If Rivera makes the team this aint stoppin

———–

I could probably find her # somewhere, but obviously I’d be worried she get psycho possessive of the Lawg

And I’d hate to risk losing my amazing relationship with my girlfriend Chantal

Brahs, these are the kind of problems the Dawg faces every day

LIKE HELLA DANG

• 8RaiderReign8

0ak R8rs Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 2:35 pm
    _________________________________

If he acts up he wont be around for long…and he will know that

• http://www.redfrognetworks.com 0ak r8rs

Silverandblack666 Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 2:36 pm
    “Sounds more like an Al pick then a Reggie pick.”

LOL so did the first pick

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Agreed. But at least it was in the 12 slot and not the 3rd.

• http://www.raiders.com Silverandblack666

Here is your commercial

• nwr8r

And it is……brice butler

• PlunkforHOF

WR

• 8RaiderReign8

Wow they have literally taken a commercial break everytime the Raiders pick.

• ron69

There you go your new Chaz Schilens

• itzSteve

Steve Corkran ‏@CorkOnTheNFL 19s
    Raiders select San Diego State wide receiver Brice Butler with their first pick of the seventh round. The new Chaz Schilens?

• 8RaiderReign8

And I’d hate to risk losing my amazing relationship with my girlfriend Chantal

Brahs, these are the kind of problems the Dawg faces every day

LIKE HELLA DANG
    ________________________

Dont worry about calling her. She has your # remember? Only a matter of time…

• rediaR

They go to commercial every 2 minutes. This place has enough “whoa is me” attitudes without this silliness.

• http://www.redfrognetworks.com 0ak r8rs

RediaR Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 2:39 pm

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Yea. But they don’t drop the overlay every 2 minutes. They have done it to us on 2 or 3 out of the last 4 picks. I’m not claiming conspiracy or anything, it’s just aggravating.

• bcz24

**************
    Well, we bring 90 to camp, and we were gutted down to 38 guys so looks like about 50 new faces at camp.

• Plunk-It

Okay we pick a con in Stacy McGee but don’t pick Joe Kruger??? Well the Eagles just picked him. Great.