Q&A with WR Butler

The Raiders selected San Diego State Brice Butler in the seventh round of the NFL draft. Soon after he was drafted, Butler fielded questions from the Bay Area media via conference call at Raiders headquarters in Alameda. Here’s the transcript:

Why did you transfer from USC?
“You know, a coaching staff came in that was totally new, pretty much revamped the whole staff. With the football staff coming in, they had a different agenda, trying to bring in guys and trying to win games as soon as possible. Like you said, I went from a guy who was a Pac-10 freshman runner-up or freshman all-conference team or something like that, to a guy that didn’t play that much because Coach had to make a decision, and he made a decision and he went with it.”

Will you play receiver here?
“I never heard that from the Raiders, no. I’m pretty sure they want me to play receiver.”

Your dad had a long NFL career?
“Yes, sir.”

Did he give you any insight about this process?
“Yeah. Really, taught me on what lies ahead. He was projected a first rounder when he was coming out and got drafted first round. So with that being said, I knew I was gonna be seventh or free agent, so he couldn’t really give me too much on the draft process because there wasn’t really no process for my dad. Like back in the day when he came out, the draft was early. He got picked in the first round. So he just woke up and his phone was ringing. He picked up the phone and it was the Atlanta Falcons. But I mean outside of that, he definitely told me a lot about the business of the NFL, and the ins and outs, certain things, and what to be prepared for and how to handle the things to come.”

Q: What was your contact like with Raiders?
A: I knew they were interested. Coach Gilmore, a guy that coached me at USC, he’s been talking to me throughout the whole process. He called me I would like to say 10 or 15 minutes before they drafted me and said ‘Hey man, we got a couple of picks left. I’m trying my hardest to get you up here man. I know what you can bring to the table and I would love to coach you again.’ He said that and I was like ‘Definitely coach. You know I would love to play for you again and I loved it when I was with you at SC. If that opportunity arises I’d definitely be ready to go.’ Ten, 15 minutes later, man, the Raiders are calling.

Q: Was it a goal to graduate in three years?
A: It was a goal. Going into SC I definitely wanted to get my degree. My mindset going into college was going three and out. That definitely didn’t happen. Since that was my mindset my thing was to graduate as fast as possible. With that being said I was staying for summer school. You have to work out at the school in the summer. I couldn’t come home to Atlanta. That’s a far flight so I was staying at school and was in summer school every year taking two or three courses in summer school so it was just knocking out a whole bunch of units and I was able to graduate a little early.

Q: Said at pro day you thought you would be 6th or 7th before pro day, surprised stick didn’t go higher?
A: Oh no not at all man. The whole time my agents were telling me before the pro day my grade was seventh or free agent. With my mindset, I always like to speak things into existence so I’m going around like ‘Hey I can be sixth round. I can be seventh round. I can get drafted.’ That was my mindset but it was kind of like trying to speak it into existence. But going into pro day it was really like seventh or free agent grade. What my agent told me was if you go out and show out at pro day and do your thing it can almost solidify you a spot in the draft if you do what you have to do. I ended up having a pretty good day.

Steve Corkran

• Thec

Now can we trade DMAC, DMOE, and JFORD???

• Kirk

The mean streets of London….A Clockwork Orange.

Eastoaklandraider Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 5:54 pm
    I liked our draft for the most part, I was disapointed that we let Jessie Williams and Barret Jones get away they were both there for the taking. After reading up on Watson and Moore I like the picks I believe they will have an impact year one. I also love the Tyler Wilson pick he is 1st rnd talent imo, I guess the injury made him drop but there is no way he should have
    dropped that far. I dont know anything about the rest of the guys but the Mizzou guy seems intriuging.

=======

join the club! A lot of people were miffed we passed on Damontre Moore, Jesse Williams, Barrett jones, Keenan Allen, Margus Hunt, AJ Klein, Cornelius Washington,

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

McCoil’s #s:

Career Statistics
    Year GP TKL PBU INT YDS
    2009 12 85 6 1 0
    2010 12 56 3 6 63
    2011 13 84 7 6 131
    2012 14 91 9 5 38
    Totals 51 316 25 18 232

• RAIDERMAN99

GET NEW MATERIAL

wtf is this TITS thing? Jesus, that’s old – has it been like a year with that b.s?!

Get on board with the program, or get on the bandwagon later.

WTF is FIRING COACHES GOING TO DO!!?

=========================================
    Sam, I can’t help it if you don’t understand the Tits thing.

Denise Allen needs a bra. She’s got boobs.

And if you need to ask what firing the worst HC in the NFL is going to do – well, I can’t help you.

You’ll be calling for his head soon enough.

You’re the one that needs to get with the program.

Thec Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 5:59 pm
    Now can we trade DMAC, DMOE, and JFORD???

==========

Again. Why? and for what?

3 productive players for what or whom? – FINISH THE THOUGHT, Man!!

fyi ; James Starks is available and maybe even Ahmad Bradshaw …. could be an interesting few months leading to training camp

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Todd Mcshay said Damontre Moore dropped cuz he doesnt like to Work hard.. he has work ethic issues

Jessie William has a bad knee.. sound real bad.. some teams wouldnt clear him

• Chris in NY

oklahomaRaider18 Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 5:43 pm
    Lawrence Okoye’s a 49er

——————–

Those guys.

Okoye is the kind of wild card with upside who I’d be all over with a 7th round pick.

• PilagingJustForFun

Just a tryout! Mama said ain’t nothing wrong with talkin- Ray Charles

• RAIDERMAN99

Rockstar, you are now officially minus 10 BCP’s.

DMAC and JANI still RAIDERS.

Good thing too, we’re gonna need them.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Lawrence Okoye is signing with the NINERS.. I was wondering if we would go after him??

Said he is happy for watson

Lawrence Okoye ‏@Okoye 26 Apr

Menelik Watson gets drafted early in the second round by the Raiders!

RAIDERMAN99 Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 6:01 pm
    GET NEW MATERIAL

Get on board with the program, or get on the bandwagon later.

WTF is FIRING COACHES GOING TO DO!!?

=========================================
    Sam, I can’t help it if you don’t understand the Tits thing.

Denise Allen needs a bra. She’s got boobs.

You’ll be calling for his head soon enough.

You’re the one that needs to get with the program.
    ====================

Face Palm.

You have an organization with the lowest revenue, one of the worst stadiums.

think logically

What coach is coming here? – thats first. – a retread MAYBE? Certainly not David Shaw from Stanford, no other great up and coming coaches or assistants.

I agree, we should move on if a similar 4-12 record occurs, and were set nicely with the cap space a new head coach will need to get “his guys”. A lot of one year deals are all over this team, and the draft is replete with players.

Further complicating this is a new head coach would be stuck with players HE DIDNT WANT, So we start THAT all over again.

What has re-cycling coaches done? I mean, REALLY?

Once you answer that, then its obvious. You stay the course.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Al Davis – Ron Wolf – Reggie Mckenzie – Ken Herock – Shaun Herock.

-The Great Wheel of Life.

• Thec

RaiderSam Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 6:01 pm
    Thec Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 5:59 pm
    Now can we trade DMAC, DMOE, and JFORD???

==========

Again. Why? and for what?

3 productive players for what or whom? – FINISH THE THOUGHT, Man!!

++++++===

That post was for the guys that were saying trade those 3.
    I was being sarcastic….Thanks for yelling at me though, got a good laugh….

• DJ Johnny

Did Tyler Bray get picked at all?

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Jessie William has a bad knee.. sound real bad.. some teams wouldnt clear him

========

yeah, it had to have been that – Williams is a tough guy and just “wouldnt come out of the game – he limped noticeably in the Georgia game – and he was a lead fullback in goalline situations.

makes sense

• Thec

RAIDERMAN99 Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 6:04 pm
    Rockstar, you are now officially minus 10 BCP’s.

DMAC and JANI still RAIDERS.

Good thing too, we’re gonna need them.

+++++++++

Nope -15, he said JFORD was going to get traded also…

• ENGLANDRAIDER

RAIDERMAN99 Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 6:01 pm
    GET NEW MATERIAL

Get on board with the program, or get on the bandwagon later.

WTF is FIRING COACHES GOING TO DO!!?

=========================================
    Sam, I can’t help it if you don’t understand the Tits thing.

Denise Allen needs a bra. She’s got boobs.

You’ll be calling for his head soon enough.

You’re the one that needs to get with the program.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I’m with Sam on this 99.

“Tits” what tits? Allen looks like one skinny guy.

• eastoaklandraider

RaiderSam Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 6:01 pm
    Thec Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 5:59 pm
    Now can we trade DMAC, DMOE, and JFORD???

==========

Again. Why? and for what?

———–

Why would you trade proven playmakers for low round draft picks an udfa’s.

• redshirt

I wouldn’t take a look at any of Green Bay’s trash running backs. Now, Ahmad Bradshaw’s another story….

• Al-Davis_Sayz

It waz a good draft 2 say the least my inly think is n the 2nd round we sld have went Moore 4rm A&M 4th round u had Jessie Will 4rm Bama but I wanted Taylor 4rm Stanford boy is pure beast n I did want Geathers 4rm UGA n Rambo the FS but as 4 as WR Da’Rick Rogers wld have been a steal now the bills got him that boy is gonna kill the league mark my words but this waz a good draft Reggie is a baby Al Davis tho a lot of his picks run 4.3 s lol

• 1960AutumnWind

#162 I find it weird we did not draft this guy. I guess alls well that ends well. He may/will make squad as depth at Safety.

A list of speculated Raider UDFAs at this point in time:

From SB Pride

Dexter McCoil, S, Temple

Deveric Gallington, OG/C, Texas Tech

Sam McGuffie, WR, Rice

Kyle Padron, QB, Eastern Washington

Bobby Cowan, P, Idaho

Tim Wright, WR, Rutgers

Deonte Williams, RB, Cal Poly

Conner Vernon, WR. Duke

John Wetzel, OT, Boston College

• RaiderFredinDallas

Let the GM and HC do the job. They bought the groceries and now let’s see the product on the field. We can’t be changing coaches every freaking time. Give the men a freaking break. Patience Raider Fans. We have waited 10 years. I’m sure we can wait two more. It takes time and money to turn the roster. Patience!!

DJ Johnny Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 6:05 pm
    Did Tyler Bray get picked at all?

========

no. came out too soon…Tennessee Titans worked him out, maybe they take him later as a UDFA. Talented, but frustrating prospect – shouldve stayed another year – but his best WR’s were leaving, so he took his chances.

cant believe Barkley was selected ahead – and with good reason -decision making simply cant be taught

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Sam McGuffie is an interesting prospect too.. played RB and WR…

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

No joke but they call Sam McGuffie the White Reggie bush.. the dude gots wiggles / jukes in him

1960AutumnWind Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 6:07 pm

A list of speculated Raider UDFAs at this point in time:

From SB Pride

Dexter McCoil, S, Temple

Deveric Gallington, OG/C, Texas Tech

Sam McGuffie, WR, Rice

Kyle Padron, QB, Eastern Washington

Bobby Cowan, P, Idaho

Tim Wright, WR, Rutgers

Deonte Williams, RB, Cal Poly

Conner Vernon, WR. Duke

John Wetzel, OT, Boston College
    =====================

of that list I had McGuffie and McCoil.

• PilagingJustForFun

Still got this Coach problem! Just saying

RaiderFredinDallas Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 6:07 pm

==========

been a LONG 10 years…embarrassing performances, ridiculous blow out losses, fights, film projectors…fights with assistants.

• eastoaklandraider

RaiderSam Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 6:06 pm
    RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Jessie William has a bad knee.. sound real bad.. some teams wouldnt clear him

========

makes sense

————-

With all that being said I still take a 5th rnd flyer on the guy, cmon a 5th? I think its worth a shot even if he’s not 100% at the moment.

ENGLANDRAIDER Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 6:06 pm
    RAIDERMAN99 Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 6:01 pm
    GET NEW MATERIAL

Get on board with the program, or get on the bandwagon later.

WTF is FIRING COACHES GOING TO DO!!?

=========================================
    Sam, I can’t help it if you don’t understand the Tits thing.

Denise Allen needs a bra. She’s got boobs.

You’ll be calling for his head soon enough.

You’re the one that needs to get with the program.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I’m with Sam on this 99.

“Tits” what tits? Allen looks like one skinny guy.

=============

suspecting other issues there, EnglandRaider. Weird. Never understood that idiotic nickname.

Really hope this team gets off the snide , goes 9-7 so this “fire Tits” “fire Shrek” garbage ends.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Jessie williams probaly wont even be healthy making it out of camp.. and Raiders had zero 5th round.

• RAIDERMAN99

Thec Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 5:59 pm
    Now can we trade DMAC, DMOE, and JFORD???
    =========================================
    Thec, the ridiculous trade talk we see around here is mystifying.

Kind of humorous to see people actually wanting to dump our only playmakers for virtually NOTHING.

Yeah, I get these guys have been hurt, but what are you replacing them with ?

Rockstar wanted to trade away DMAC and JANI and FORD.

Dr Rob says he sees NO REASON why JANI shouldn’t be CUT.

I think they both want to keep TITS though.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Tony Pauline ‏@TonyPauline 5m

Kyle Magnuson/OT/Wyoming signs with Oakland Raiders….scouting report: http://www.draftinsider.net/reports/2013/T/Kyle-Magnuson

Eastoaklandraider Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 6:12 pm
    RaiderSam Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 6:06 pm
    RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Jessie William has a bad knee.. sound real bad.. some teams wouldnt clear him

========

makes sense

————-

======

Agree completely; wanted Williams, Geathers, Margus Hunt, Nassib – a whole lot of players….just have to ride it out – did like Sio Moore’s versatility and Rivera and Hayden . Thought Watson was taken too high and could’ve taken a good power RB like Stepfan Taylor of Stanford.

oh well.

• dr_robert

I still need to look at reels from today’s picks but here’s my initial assessment of the draft:

1) Hayden. Caught me off guard but best corner in draft and possibly one if the best players period. Reminds me if champ bailey. Playmaker. Impact guy.

2) Watson. Best RT in the draft. Huge and athletic. Seems mature. Will get exponentially better. Not a project. Just gonna continue to polish and refine. It’s all there.

3) Moore. I dunno. Scouts like him. Seems a bit stiff and not that fast but does seem tenacious and does a lot if different things well. A football player.

4) Young. Maybe the best qb in the draft. Could be a starter in the future.

6) Kasa. Potential start. Really big and catches much better than Gordon.

6) Murray seems like a chance to be good. Power/speed. Good production. Durable and steady.

6) Rivera. H-back type. Productive and possible end to ausberry.

6) McGee. Interesting cuz he’s a troubled kid. But maybe he’s looking for redemption. Talented player. Rotational guy.

7) Butler. Good potential. Talented and under used.

7) Bass. Good nfl body. Great production. DE/LB could be a sleeper.

• eastoaklandraider

Cant see Barkely working out in Philly in Kelly’s scheme unless he tweaks it.

RAIDERMAN99 Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 6:13 pm
    Thec Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 5:59 pm
    Now can we trade DMAC, DMOE, and JFORD???
    =========================================
    Thec, the ridiculous trade talk we see around here is mystifying.

Yeah, I get these guys have been hurt, but what are you replacing them with ?

Rockstar wanted to trade away DMAC and JANI and FORD.

Dr Rob says he sees NO REASON why JANI shouldn’t be CUT.

I think they both want to keep TITS though.

===============

So MAYBE they deal McFadden for picks and James Starks? if its any player worth anything they are on the hook for a large contract (like Buffalo’s Jarius Byrd)

I see no upside in any trade, unless we suck by mid-season and deal McFadden by the trade deadline.

• PilagingJustForFun

Go get em Reggie

Dr_robert Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 6:14 pm

4) Young. Maybe the best qb in the draft. Could be a starter in the future.

6) Kasa. Potential start. Really big and catches much better than Gordon.

6) Rivera. H-back type. Productive and possible end to ausberry.

7) Butler. Good potential. Talented and under used.

7) Bass. Good nfl body. Great production. DE/LB could be a sleeper.

===================

Good analysis. BTW, did you want any other picks – and who were the ones we really “missed” out on?

• ENGLANDRAIDER

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If that happens that’ll be great but I really don’t see it coming.

And I don’t mind if we don’t win that many games this year as long as we’re FINALLY rebuilding.

• Thec

New post Men.

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 6:13 pm

=====

Ah, so that was behind the trade McFadden for a fifth rounder and take Jesse Williams theory?
    btw, Legarrette Blount was dealt to Pats for Jeff Demps

ENGLANDRAIDER Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 6:17 pm

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If that happens that’ll be great but I really don’t see it coming.

=======

At best – its the new generation of Raider players

At worst – they have cap space and plenty of one – year deals to replace and they get impact Free agents that can start and match the scheme that the new head coach employs. – IF they want to sign here and are on board with it.

• ohioraider

RAIDERMAN99 Says:
    April 27th, 2013 at 6:01 pm

GET NEW MATERIAL

Get on board with the program, or get on the bandwagon later.

WTF is FIRING COACHES GOING TO DO!!?

=========================================
    Sam, I can’t help it if you don’t understand the Tits thing.

Denise Allen needs a bra. She’s got boobs.

You’ll be calling for his head soon enough.

You’re the one that needs to get with the program
    ————————————
    I don’t understand it either azhole. And I’ve been with the program since 1970. Why don’t you just give it a rest for awhile, eh, cuntface? Or you can just fuk off altogether.

You got a problem with what I just instructed you to do litl coksucker?

• Pingback: Posts about The Raiders From Other Great Blogs issue #1 | Raiders Central | Oakland Raiders Blog