Raiders work out veteran punters; Woodson open to signing with any team

By Steve Corkran
Thursday, May 9th, 2013 at 7:58 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Slow down on that talk of Marquette King being the unquestioned replacement for departed punter Shane Lechler. For evidence, notice how the Raiders signed an undrafted free agent and recently worked out veterans Mat McBriar and Jason Baker.
King has the benefit over the others of having been with the Raiders last season. He worked with the team through training camp before being placed on season-ending injured reserve.
It’s wise of the Raiders to bring in some competition for the vacancy created by Lechler signing with the Houston Texans, given King has yet to punt in a regular-season game.
In other news, former Raiders cornerback Charles Woodson now sounds more open to signing with teams not viewed as legitimate Super Bowl contenders. In other words, that brings the Raiders into the mix.
For more on what Woodson had to say, here’s an excerpt from an interview on NFL Network:

On his future as an NFL player:

“If it were left up to me, I will be in the NFL again this coming season. Right now, it is kind of slow out there, the options have dried up but I am still waiting for an opportunity to play for a team, help a team win. So I plan on playing in the future.”

On being one of the many free agent veterans currently available:

“It is kind of the process, but at the same time it is frustrating. You have guys that can flat out play football. You look at Dwight Freeney and what he is able to do. They had a system last year that is different than he is used to playing, but he can play football. John Abraham, he led his team in sacks and you say ‘we don’t have a spot for you on our roster?’ I can’t understand that. Myself, I am just a ball player. I need to be on a team.”

On if he wants to play for a contender:

“When this process first started out, that was my thing, I needed to go to a contender. I know I am towards the end of my career. At this point, I want to play football. So if it is a rebuilding stage, at this point if that is the circumstances I have to play under, then that is what I am going to do.”

On if he would return to the Green Bay Packers:

“I don’t want to speculate on that because I have not heard anything from Green Bay. We parted our ways a couple months ago. They told me they were moving on. I guess I took that to mean there was no opportunity to go back so I am looking for a future with another organization.”

On how a team would react to an openly gay player in the NFL:

“With Jason Collins coming out and letting everybody know he was gay, it forces you to deal with it. If you’re someone who is against gay people, then my question is what you’re going to do once a player comes out in your locker room? Are you going to quit football? If you’re a coach and you don’t like the fact that a player is gay, are you going to stop coaching? I don’t think so. It would force guys to deal with it and you’d get over it. I’m sure there are probably players in the locker room that have thought another player was gay in the past. It’s not going to stop you from playing football. Life will go on and everybody will keep going out there doing their job.”

The segment with Woodson can he heard here:

• RAIDERMAN99

When I first got into the gambling world, all I ever did was bet sports and play ‘match plays’.

It was the only way I knew how to have the edge and make money gambling.

I wouldn’t even look at a slot machine.

One day, I’m hanging in the book with a buddy of mine and he points a guy out to me and asks me if I know who he is.

I didn’t.

My buddy tells me that this guy is one of the best poker players in the world and a gambling legend.

A little while later, I spot the gambling ‘legend’ playing a 5 dollar slot in the high limit section.

I’m laughing at my buddy. Some ‘legend’, I tell him.

Well, it turns out the legend knew something we didn’t.

You see, the legend was hip to what was known as ‘vision’ machines at the time.

Trust me when I tell you it was amazingly easy to make huge amounts of money on ‘vision’ or bonus slot machines back then.

I had a pretty decent gig with AT&T in those days but was making twice as much playing slot machines.

Those days and those machines are gone now, but if you know what to look for, there are still ways to make money on machines.

BTW, I realize you dislike video poker, but if you know what to look for (pay tables, progressives) and have discipline, brains and bankroll – that’s another area where the player can have the edge on the house.

• Myopinion

Jfb,
    Must have missed that, im always happy to look at a job, I live in rio rancho, but if you pick a resturaunt or something near you, we can meet ill show u some pics,talk to u, if your interested ill folloe u and take a look. After monday,could almost meet u any morning or evening. Mornings are best.
    i

• willy91137

Looks like Dennis Allen and Mark Davis lost the razors

Mark is telling Alan you better win some $#@^$ games or I will run your ass out of town

and Dennis is: telling don’t worry boss will win some games now that I got rid of that dumb ass napp

and that $13 million quarterback i should’ve never let that that $#@&^ Hugh Jackson talked me into that

• Just Fire Baby

Can’t stand video poker.

Give me all the bells, cool music, ability to “pick” things, to help scratch the itch.

• Just Fire Baby

Myopinion,

Shoot me an e-mail.

• raiderlization

We have seen this happen before a player is moved up due to default you bring him in initilly to punt return he gets reps at WR and looks good then the next year you depend on him except he gets hit and now he plays like Johnny Lee Higgins! The Raiders need two vet WRs or WRs that play like #1s AND 2S! goes back to Porter thinking he was the new #1 after we lost Brown and Rice! Curry didn’t work out then either. Both Moore and Ford needs to be what they were drafted to be depth!

• Myopinion

baresing to admit, but I have never sent an email. Swar no dummy high iq, just not a technology guy. If I send u my info. No one else can see it?

• Just Fire Baby

LOL…you can create a dummy yahoo account if you need to.

• RAIDERMAN99

Corky should be arriving at the OTA any moment now.

Wondering which draftee is going to get his ‘kiss of death’ endorsement this year.

• RAIDERMAN99

It’s my understanding that today’s activity is for draftees, UDFAs, and ‘select’ second year players only.

Is that correct ?

And if so, what determines which second year players are eligible to participate ?

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

I’m watching Pit/Oak from last season.

None of these guys from 2012 are on the roster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• DKnight007

RaiderRockstar Says:
    May 11th, 2013 at 4:46 am
    Stacy McGee is a dude I would not want to meet in a dark alley.. looks freaking mean

Sparano trying to teach Watson how to block (pic 33). He’s got long arms for sure. Probably needs to work on technique.

Like Mike Mayock said “he has no idea what he’s doing”

^^^^^^^^^
    I think Watson will be wind up being just fine.

That OLine needs to come together and quick as well as the whole offense.

I hope Olsen and Soprano know what they are doing. They need to make sure everyone on that offense is on the same page and they play with discipline.

I have a bad feeling the offense is not going to run smoothly….AGAIN! Ugh

• DKnight007

I think the McK wanted Long with that 2nd Round pick, but Da Bears reached and took him Round 1.

Giants reached on Pugh also I think.

• IGAG

Willy91137 Says:
    May 11th, 2013 at 8:36 am
    Looks like Dennis Allen and Mark Davis lost the razors

——————-

And then Mark says to Allen: now go get the fvcking limo and take me to IHOP. Can’t keep that French toast waiting ya know. And besides, I don’t wanna keep Reggie waiting. When his belly is growling, he ain’t to pleasant a fellow. Now move you ass into high gear bìtch.

• xraided

i say kick Watson inside to LG. i don’t care if he’s too tall … he could be a mauler, and we need a LG in the worst way.. Barnes can stay at RT as a stop gap.

• Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Mush loves the penny slots.

You are too much, Mush.

• RNOraiderFan

Anyone notice in those 60 pictures of training camp that there is not one pic of Pryor? Lots of Wilson and Flynn tho. Was he just not there or am I reading into things too much. Pryor is my projected started and it’s looking like the organization is going a different direction.

• IGAG

Mistic666 Says:
    May 11th, 2013 at 7:54 am
    hate it when a turd gets stuck and I have to wiggle on the toilet bowl until its plops.
    ——-
    Dude. Take a crow bar and bust that turd up. It’ll think twice about given you shìt next time.

• IGAG

Dr_robert Says:
    May 10th, 2013 at 11:53 pm
    padron throws 40 and 50 yard frozen ropes.
    ——

WOW. He must eat at IHOP.

• Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

“Before you kill something make sure you have something better to replace it with.” – Bukowski

FIRE REGGIE NOW.

• Priesttj12

RNOraiderFan Says:
    May 11th, 2013 at 9:49 am
    ****************************************
    I think it’s intentional, It’s been that way since he has been here. There have been times when he’s been seen singularly but has been rare. Mostly if you see him you see all the QB’s. I don’t know if there is anything behind it as far as the coaches are concerned but I have always noticed that.

• Priesttj12

RNO, This last pictorial was for the rookies more than anything though. If you notice 90% is rookies…

• xraided

Hey Johnny Depp

so you’re suggesting we should have held onto the scrubs that were very overpaid? or overpay the so solid irreplaceable talents in Wheeler and Bryant?(laff)

i will concede that if reg doesn’t do anything to solidify many of the positions next year with all the cap room we’re going to have, i will be on the same boat

• Priesttj12

In fact I don’t see any vets they haven’t gotten there yet. I guess today they come in.

• Just Fire Baby

This is rookie minicamp.

No vets allowed per union rules.

• dr_robert

It’s all rookies u dopes.

No vets.

The 2nd year players are all guys who never played last year.

There are rules on who’s allowed.

• RNOraiderFan

Oh ya. Looking back your right Priesttj, no vets. That’s cool then. Just want my horse to get every opportunity that the other QB’s have Haha.

• Priesttj12

raiderlization Says:
    May 11th, 2013 at 8:39 am
    **********************************************
    Ford has had one serious injury, it didn’t heal right. I think you guys don’t get it when a player gets injured it doesn’t mean he isn’t a player it means he’s injured. Ford may be the most dynamic skill player we have. The kid can lineup anywhere backfield slot WR you name it he is extremely versatile he has just been injured…………period

Can’t wait to see Ford TJ Murray and DMC Moore Reece Ausberry all those boys in action. Oh! and of course Terrelle Pryor………WOW!

• ohioraider

What I want to know is did they remove the goose droppings?

• dr_robert

Ford, Taiwan, and ausberry will not be involved on offense much if u read the writing in the wall.

Not Pryor either.

• dr_robert

It’s gonna be Flynn, DMc, Jennings, Reece, kasa, Moore, streater, criner.

Get used to it.

• dr_robert

Rivera too

• ohioraider

dr_robert Says:
    May 11th, 2013 at 10:27 am

Not Pryor either.
    ———————————
    Pryor will get plenty of reps in preseason to see if he can make the kinds of extraordinary strides it would take to make him the starter. So despite whatever Reggie really thinks, he’s smart enough to talk up the competition and leave the door ajar just in case the kid surprises everybody. But that’s all he gets: a chance.

• Priesttj12

The Dubs lost that game last night because they need to recognize that Barnes should get more touches as they series goes on. Harrison Barnes is much better than the Dubs are recognizing.

• Priesttj12

They really need to take advantage of Barnes ability that kid is exceptionally talented.

• IGAG

Ohioraider Says:
    May 11th, 2013 at 10:26 am
    What I want to know is did they remove the goose droppings?
    ——

• IGAG

Scourge Says:
    May 10th, 2013 at 2:08 pm
    Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    May 10th, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Play my ‘Golden Haired Hero Worship’ against my Silver and Blackism. That’s diabolical. I’ll need to cogitate a while.
    ============================================
    P-man, how’s that cogitating coming?

▀      ▄▄  ▄███▄
    ▄▀▀▀▄   ▄█████████▀
    █    █  ▄██████  ▀▀
    █    █  ▀██████████▄
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀██▀
      █  ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▀   ██▀
    █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█    ███▄▄
    ——

Nothin beats a IHOP constitution.

• ohioraider

IGAG Says:
    May 11th, 2013 at 10:34 am

Ohioraider Says:
    May 11th, 2013 at 10:26 am
    What I want to know is did they remove the goose droppings?
    ——
    ———————————–
    Lol. Reggie needs to move on this asap.

• Scourge