Hayden no issue playing through pain

By Steve Corkran
Saturday, May 11th, 2013 at 4:15 pm in Oakland Raiders.

ALAMEDA – When you’ve gone through what D.J. Hayden has to make it to this point, a sore hamstring isn’t about to slow you down.
So it was that the Raiders first-round draft pick D.J. Hayden practiced through his injury Saturday and looked none the worse as evidenced by a couple of pass breakups.
“Oh, man, it felt so great just to get back out there, put the helmet back on and just actually be on the field,” said Hayden, a speedy cornerback.
Hayden had a near brush with death last November when he suffered a ruptured vein that feeds blood from his lower body to his heart in a practice at the University of Houston.
Most people die from such an injury, according to medical experts. Some place the fatality rate as high as 95 percent.
Yet, on Saturday Hayden showed no lingering effects from the scary injury.
“I don’t even think about it,” Hayden said of the injury in which a teammate’s knee drilled him in the midsection while defending a pass over the middle. “The only time I think about is when somebody asks me. But when I’m on the field, I don’t think about that. I think about the play and about the coverage that I’m in. I put it past me.”
On one play, Hayden broke on a pass by quarterback Tyler Wilson, reached back and deflected the pass a split second before it arrived at the intended target.
In keeping with his nature, Hayden downplayed the positive and dwelled on what he failed to accomplish.
“When I made the little play, I was happy,” Hayden said. “I should have caught it but there’s always room for improvement.”
The Raiders selected Hayden with the 12 pick of the 2013 NFL draft in late April. General manager Reggie McKenzie said the Raiders were so high on Hayden that they would have used the No. 3 pick on him if they hadn’t have traded down to 12.
Coach Dennis Allen said he has been impressed by Hayden’s play the first two days of the team’s three-day rookie mini camp.
“I’m pleased with where D.J.’s at,” Allen said. “Again, it’s going to be a learning process. It’s putting one foot in front of the other. When it comes time to play games this September I think he’ll be ready to roll.”

• http://www.waterfrontcomics.com john@waterfrontcomics

uno

• http://www.waterfrontcomics.com john@waterfrontcomics

If Reggie and DA think this cat is going to be great, why did they not give him #24?

• rediaR

RediaR Says:
    May 11th, 2013 at 4:17 pm
    I’m glad 12 week starter Latavius Murray has been looking good though. RB is a position you can certainly find in the late rounds.

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

John@Waterfrontcomics Says:
    May 11th, 2013 at 4:18 pm

===================================

Maybe he wanted #25.

• severeraiderz

SnBG
    RaiderDuck

He is by far the most talented player on our roster and a top 5 back when healthy. Foot problems have slowed him down and took him out on numerous occasions, but he’s no slouch. Ask Eric Weddle wut its like to try to tackle DMC

• Al_is_theraiders

fire shrek now!!!

• severeraiderz

Before his linsfranc he was having an MVP type season and was one of the catalyst to our success that year. The org thinks enough of him to change the offense to better suit his strengths

• rediaR

Talent doesn’t mean a thing if you’re never on the field.

• RaiderLen

Al_is_theraiders Says:
    May 11th, 2013 at 4:21 pm
    fire shrek now!!!
    ——————————-
    LOL

You may as well tell the wind to stop blowing the piss back in your face as you stupidly stand into the wind.

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Al_is_theraiders Says:
    May 11th, 2013 at 4:21 pm
    fire shrek now!!!

====================================

Because our rookie corner looks good in his first two practices?

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    May 11th, 2013 at 4:12 pm
    RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    May 11th, 2013 at 4:10 pm
    Also, pretty string words from Amy trask. She no longer wishes to be with the org.

———————-

I think it was Mark Davis that gave her the hint.. like we are moving in a new direction. Just draft day she was on 95.7 the game announcing a new partnership with them and looking foward to working with them for many years to come.

Mark might have told her recently they are going in a different direction

===========================================

At least a new team president, and possibly a new location.

———————–

Tyler wilson returns this team to greatness

• severeraiderz

Al Davis said the worst 2 mistakes he made as head of the raiders was leaving los angeles and hiring Lane Kiffin.

• dr_robert

Don’t sell DMc short. He’s a tremendous slouch.

• RaiderLen

Severeraiderz Says:
    May 11th, 2013 at 4:26 pm
    ————————————-
    I disagree with AL.

Thee WORST mistake HE EVER MADE….was leaving OAKLAND in the 1st place.

Many of the ranl and file fans NEVER forgave Him.

Those that hold votes and would have enabled Him to get what He wanted had He allowed the process to play out.

Instead he took the fools gold of LA and got hosed.

• DJ Johnny

Amy’s choice of words is very telling. Being an attny she is well aware of her choice of words.

She could’ve said ” I feel it would be best at this moment in time to pursue the next chapter in my career” etc. etc. but “I no longer wish to remain with the Raiders”? That sounds like someone who is really ticked off imo.

• severeraiderz

I’ll just wait for the season to start and DMC to be putting up 100 ysrd games almost weekly and you guys will be on the bandwagon. He might even save the pusillanimous’ job as head coach

• dr_robert

Still don’t know why All Davis guys don’t like the current regime.

His son owns it and a former Raider is GM. And Reggie drafts exactly like AL, just more current.

I loved Al and its tuff to know he’s gone. But the current guys are connected to him.

Why keep “Al’s guys” when they sucked?

Reggie’s doing great. This draft could be one for the ages if they all are as good as they seem.

• RaiderLen

Dr_robert Says:
    May 11th, 2013 at 4:28 pm
    Don’t sell DMc short. He’s a tremendous slouch.
    ———————————–
    As many hours you log in here, you must slouch quite a bit.

Stooped over the keyboard can’t be healthy.

• dr_robert

Johnny–yeah that’s what I thought. She’s making it clear she’s not happy and is leaving because of it.

Btw, DMc has lost it.

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Severeraiderz Says:
    May 11th, 2013 at 4:31 pm

============================================

What happens when the season starts, a linebacker coughs on DMac, and he decides he can’t play for the next five weeks?

• dr_robert

Len–lol. I’ve not been on much since the draft. And I go no the without posting.

But thanks for caring.

• RaiderLen

DJ Johnny Says:
    May 11th, 2013 at 4:30 pm

————————————
    Duh!

Women have egos you know.

Al is dead.

She was pushed aside, and She didn’t like it.

After 25 years of having the Kings ear, It might hurt to be told you’re on the bench.

• dr_robert

I go months

• RaiderLen

Dr_robert Says:
    May 11th, 2013 at 4:35 pm
    I go months
    ————————
    No you don’t.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Al_is_theraiders Says:
    May 11th, 2013 at 4:21 pm

fire shrek now!!!
    ====================================

Why? He seems to be doing a very good job.

• DJ Johnny

The eternal question..well one of em on our minds at least is WHY is Amy all ticked off?

• severeraiderz

RaiderLen

You can disagree if you want but it doesn’t change anything, La is where he thought he should’ve stayed. I’m sure that isn’t lost on Mark

• 0ak r8rs

Al_is_theraiders Says:
    May 11th, 2013 at 4:06 pm
    hell yeah better than wrs that lbs can cover, that cannot threaten the defense, lbs smaller than safeties and sharpie collecting coaches…

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Nvm the fact that all but one of our WRs were drafted by your dead guy???

• RaiderLen

DJ Johnny Says:
    May 11th, 2013 at 4:44 pm
    —————————————-
    Because MARK told Her she would take a SUBORDINATE roll in future operations.

It’s obvious.

• Twocents

Could it be the dreaded menopause?
    Young married guys, prepare yourselves. It is hell.

• severeraiderz

RaiderDuck

You’ll wake up from ur dream and realize he is still our best player….by far

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Severeraiderz Says:
    May 11th, 2013 at 4:48 pm
    RaiderDuck

You’ll wake up from ur dream and realize he is still our best player….by far

===========================================

When he’s healthy, I agree. But that’s been the exception and not the rule.

• Myopinion

I can see gruden inserted as the new al, face of franchise
    mark takes a lesser role, reggie gm,

Is it stupid to think the excitement could get a new stadium.

• jesusraiderjim

Twocents Says:
    May 11th, 2013 at 4:47 pm
    Could it be the dreaded menopause?
    Young married guys, prepare yourselves. It is hell.

—————————————————–

They got a shot for that now. My old lady got one and never had a period, cramps, or any of the related symptoms of menopause. Just sayin.

No I am not a doctor but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last week. BoYahh

• RaiderLen

Severeraiderz Says:
    May 11th, 2013 at 4:46 pm
    RaiderLen

———————————–
    So AL out thought Himself.

Had He been patient, it could have worked out in LA.

The same can be said about Oakland.

• Relentless

Myopinion that is ridiculous. Its your opinion but it sucks.

• DJ Johnny

Charles Woodson is on NFLN right now begging for the niners to call him.

• J Hill

20 is our best player?????

I think there is a lot of HOPE in that statement.

• Twocents

I swear, if there is reincarnation, I will refuse to come back as a woman. I love them dearly but the crap they go through is more than I could bear.

• SnBG

You have to separate DMC talent from his injuries. Yes he’s talented and when healthy he can be great but he’s isn’t healthy much. For a first round pick, the fact that he can’t play a whole season says to me that he is a bust.

• J Hill

Revisiting the Chucky thing would be a mistake, imo.

• DJ Johnny

RaiderLen Says:
    May 11th, 2013 at 4:47 pm
    DJ Johnny Says:
    May 11th, 2013 at 4:44 pm
    —————————————-
    Because MARK told Her she would take a SUBORDINATE roll in future operations.

It’s obvious.

The next question then is WHY and then WHO is gonna fill that role?

• RaiderLen

DJ Johnny Says:
    May 11th, 2013 at 4:52 pm
    Charles Woodson is on NFLN right now begging for the niners to call him.
    ——————————————
    Vet minimum, they might give him a shot.

They don’t need Him.

• DJ Johnny

I’d love it if Gruden were to come back but I don’t think it’ll happen.

He’s basically a media giant right now. It’s easy. ‘Gruden’s QB Camp’ is huge as well as his MNF gig and the other analyst stuff.

He loses all that by taking a Raider front office position.

I guess if Mark offered him a ridiculous amount of money …

• Myopinion

Might not be realistic, and didnt say it would happen, said I could see, why would that be so ridiculous? Does mark know more than him. Is there a face more popular?

• ohioraider

The_Civilian_James_Trapp Says:
    May 11th, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Amy must see Mark as the spoiled rich kid that he is, and only stayed on as a favor due her loyalty for Al….More brains leave the organization and we’re stuck with Mark/Shreg/Denise.
    ———————
    Really? And what did all the “brains” get us over the past ten years? Amy was little more than a loyalist, afraid to the speak the truth to Al, otherwise she would have agitated for change. Then she would have been worth keeping around.

• SnBG

I don’t see anything surprising about Amy leaving. It’s a new regime and she was an Al Davis lady, steeped in the ways of old. Reg and DA are about the new and want like minded people around them.

• RaiderLen

The next question then is WHY and then WHO is gonna fill that role?
    ———————————
    You’re into the media.

Whom has Mark openly spoke to about the Front office position.

Anderson, The dude from MSG and Holmgren.

Those we know of.

Holmgren is in no way qualified on the business side, so that leaves the former two that are public, plus whatever “other’s” Mark may have cooked up.

Amy is a lawyer. There are a lot of those around.

• SnBG

GRUDEN WHO? Please no Gruden.

• DJ Johnny

Myopinion Says:
    May 11th, 2013 at 4:59 pm

There’s something about seeing that snarl on the sideline again that I find inspirational as a Raider fan and I do think he’s a good coach. I like him, but I don’t think he’s gonna want to leave all that ESPN stuff anytime soon.