Josh Cribbs Q&A

Transcription of a conference call with newly-signed Raiders return specialist/wide receiver Josh Cribbs:

Q: What appealed to you about the Raiders?

Cribbs: I feel like the Raiders are a traditional winning team, like Cleveland is, they won a lot of games in the past, have a history of it. It’s a blue-collar, underdog city. It’d be so great to come here and win games and fight for an opportunity to win games. I feel like they’re moving in the right direction and I would love to be a part of it when they turn things around.

Q: Been here as visiting player, your impressions?

Cribbs: This is a hard-core team. I knew of the tradition, and that’s why I’m going to keep harping on today, I knew of the tradition of this organization and all that it stands for. It’s one thing that stuck (with) me. Not just that, but the coaching staff as well, and the organization. I love the opportunity to play for Bobby April, as special teams coordinator, and have a chance to put his niche on things, great special teams coach, I just want to come here and succeed and I feel I have the best opportunity to do that here in Oakland. I’m familiar with a lot of their guys because I played against them, I had the opportunity to join some fellow former teammates off of my team and keep the ball rolling.

Q: Made your rounds some discussion what shape your knee was in. The Jets GM said knee was right yet . . . unusual for GM to make public comment about someone’s health . . . that aside, where are you physically?

Cribbs: I’m doing well. Never as a player, do I comment on injury, but I believe the firszt game is in September or August and it’s barely June. We’re not lining up to play football. If we were lining up to play football in June, then this would be a hot topic. I will be ready to play football when it’s time to play football, and I think that’s the important thing. I don’t know a GM would come out and say that other than using it as a negotiation tactic. It was well perceived and I think as a whole everybody knew what was going on about that. But I’m an Oakland Raider now, I’m a part of Raider Nation, and that’s one reason, another reason why I chose Oakland. Rich fan base. Similar to Cleveland. They’re a die-hard fan base. They’re all about their team. Win or lose, they hold their team and their players to a high standard and that’s what I won’t have to miss coming to Oakland because it’s the same situation, playing hard for the fans and they’ll reward you.

Q: Are you hoping there will be a role as a receiver as well as a kick returner?

Cribbs: Oh, definitely. I think there’s definitely possibility for competition at that position. At this point, my job is to come in and be a special teams guru, to help solidify our special teams unit in the NFL and to raise our goals and our standards. And we will do that. We will become an elite unit. I’m just fortunate enough to be able to assist in that under coach April.

Q: How much did change in kickoff rules affect kickoff returns league-wide and for yourself?

Cribbs: I think it affected everyone, as well as the coaches and the players, because you’re having to teach a different style of play. You have to re-teach certain fundamentals that you’ve been teaching and coaching styles that have been going on for years. I came out and I was against the rule, but it doesn’t matter because everyone has to deal with it, but at the same time, I came in under a different rules. It wasn’t like I was a rookie when the rules changed and I had an opportunity to move forward in that manner. I had to change my style as well. I kind of still disagree with it, but I’ve go to take it moving, I’ve got to take it rolling and I’ve got to move on with my business in that manner. I still haven’t found a significance for the rule change other than them saying, it’s supposedly supposed to stop injury, but at the same time, I understand that the NFL is trying to make the league safer. I commend them those efforts, but football is football, it’s 100 percent injury, it’s not, if you’re going to get injured, it’s when. We know the sport we sign up for, and I just try to play it as I see it. The rules change every year, certain rule changes, and I hope that in the near future there are not so many rule changes to come. It really kind of dilutes the game of football and it’s not the sport, it’s becoming a different sport than what we all grew up on.

Q: Chris Kluwe said publicly he’ll be joining the Raiders, although no announcement has been made. Your impression of fielding punts from Chris and what it says about the club’s commitment to special teams that they’re going after guys like you and Kluwe?

Cribbs: Definitely, I commend the effort. I also wanted to come to a team that the head coach and the GM and the organization was committed to their special teams unit. I feel like the special teams unit, if you have a great special teams unit, you can have the ability to change the football game. You can also kind of be, when you have a dynamic special teams unit, you can be slightly sub-par on offense or defense with the special teams carrying you. When you don’t have a good special teams, you have to have a good defense and a good offense. But with a dynamic special teams we can set up field position for the offense and pin opposing offenses deep in their own territory to set up a good opportunity for our defense to stop ‘em, so I really commend their efforts in creating a dynamic situation for our special teams to be an elite team in the NFL.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

90.Priesttj12 Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 4:55 pm
    ESETERIK78 Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 4:51 pm
    74.Priesttj12 Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 4:50 pm
    keep telling yourself the team wasn’t poised to make a move if the defense improves we win 10 games the next season instead of 4…………period

========================

But that’s the problem right there!

HOW were they going to improve anything from where they were? The bank was tapped out and Hue spent the picks.

HOW I ask. How?
    ************************************
    I thought Reggie was twice the GM Big Al was. You mean he isn’t? who would’ve thunk it……….lol

===============================

This is where it gets silly. Trying to compare the two after ONE season. Even after twenty seasons you can’t. AL was one of a kind, and that model isn’t being manufactured anymore.

The path AL took to the top will never be replicated. It was a different time, you could run a football team with two guys. Remember, Madden always said it was just him and AL. This is a new time, and from what I’ve seen Reg has worked every angle allowed him with his current resources. I think AL would be happy that a RAIDER is leading HIS team, and doing well.

• PilagingJustForFun

When DA described the DJ Hayden pick he used Mayocks description word for word! He can play off or man to man! Losing me fast! Imagine our team!

• eastoaklandraider

All I know is DA better show that he’s learned something from his experience last year.

• RNOraiderFan

Speaking of Howie, what’s he doing now a days. Maybe we should sign him. He would be better then anyone else on that side.

• Priesttj12

The_Judge37 Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 4:56 pm
    ESETERIK78 Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 4:54 pm
    You didn’t like the Q&A?

I read things like this:

” Win or lose, they hold their team and their players to a high standard and that’s what I won’t have to miss coming to Oakland because it’s the same situation, playing hard for the fans and they’ll reward you.”

I get fired up.

That’s what I want to hear, he’s playing for US and his team, not for himself.
    —-

I didn’t like his opening sentance comparing us to Cleveland, but I like that’s he sounds commited to Special Teams.
    ***********************************
    Cleveland actually has a better GM and a more solid foundation. Reggie reduced us to rubble.

• The_Judge37

PilagingJustForFun Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 5:00 pm
    —–

He’s the only one keeping me from enjoying my off season kool aid. Otherwise i’d be fairly happy with an entirely new team.

• ESETERIK78

Yeah, that was the best part of the interview. Cribbs is focused on making the ST unit elite, and seems okay if he’s used sparingly at WR.

TEAM

• inonewordraider

____________
    why not boycott and not watch the games?

• SnBG

I Have no problem with a coach saying “my D coord didnt perform his duties up to my standards and we will probably be making a change there” Tell like it is dont sugar coat schit thats how a man acts.
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Not in public, what kind of guy calls his assistants out and embarasses him in public. Sounds like Hue was scapegoating to save his job

• Priesttj12

SnBG Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 4:54 pm
    Priesttj12 Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 4:51 pm
    Reggie fired the coach and brought in a BUM!
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    I don’t think DA is a bum. Bill W. took 3 years to get to the SB and in between he even questioned his own ability to coach but he hung in there and his Owner, the great Eddie D stayed with him. Just like we should do with DA.
    ***************************
    I know you don’t you probably think he’s cute tooo!Knowing you….

• dr_robert

Dr_robert Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 4:57 pm
    respect my AUTHORITAH! yeah baby!
    **********

They should. Now go get an identity of ur own.

• Priesttj12

eastoaklandraider Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 5:01 pm
    **************************************
    You can say that again. Last year he was in way over his head.

• Tar Heel Mud

Eastoaklandraider Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 4:53 pm
    Hue could have fired Chuck B and hired/promoted who?

DA could have fired knapp midseason and let Al Saunders take over.
    ……

DA could have fired knapp but he was just learning to coach speak. Firing knapp would have been to much for his plate. It’s amazing Saunders stood by and watched that shít.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

• The_Judge37

ESETERIK78 Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 5:03 pm

TEAM
    ——-

I like the addition of Cribbs, even though it’s far too many Cleveland Browns to my liking, but Anything to Keep Philip Adams away from Punt returning.

• SnBG

Priesttj12 Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 4:58 pm
    SnBG Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 4:56 pm
    DA was horrible last year, and nothing has changed. Let’s blame the player for not picking up a system in one year, but let’s give the Coach more time?
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Yes, exactly, give the coach more time.
    *******************************
    I prefer to give the coach who won twice as many games MORE TIME.
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    That’s sort of the problem with this debate. We don’t know what Hue’s team would have done in 2012 but with the cap and the injuries he may not have done very well. Especially in the Div with Manning. If he did well enough at some point he would have to face the cap issues as Reg has. He would have been postponing the pain we feel now.

• PilagingJustForFun

Lip service

• Priesttj12

inonewordraider Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 5:03 pm
    ____________
    why not boycott and not watch the games?
    *****************************
    You boycott, by not spending money. Which is precisely what I’m doing. The need to show me they’re about winning intead of Biased preferential treatment.

• The_Judge37

Tar Heel Mud Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 5:07 pm
    Eastoaklandraider Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 4:53 pm
    Hue could have fired Chuck B and hired/promoted who?

DA could have fired knapp midseason and let Al Saunders take over.
    ……

————

I don’t even thin Al Saunders is alive anymore. He might just be dead in the booth and no one notices.

Last i’ve heard about Saunders is an assistant praising him for ALWAYS being the 1st one in the booth and the last one to leave, so who knows?

• PilagingJustForFun

Don’t get your hopes up, got a feeling Cheifs will whoopareasses this year!

• eastoaklandraider

110.SnBG Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 5:04 pm
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

————–

Its called being telling the truth, I dont care if he the coach is embarassed he should be, perform better and there is nothing to be said I guess most of you prefer that PC talk.

• SnBG

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    I’m guessing that that Sanders was happy with standing behind the coach you hire. If I remember Sanders didn’t want to be the HC under Davis. Didn’t he turn the job down and go to the Redskins. They also offered him more money as an OC than Mr Davis woUld ever offer a HC

• PilagingJustForFun

David Shaw or Gruden 2014

• Priesttj12

Hue never got to hire his own coaches. As a matter of fact, Dennis Allen is only the 2nd coach in Raider History allowed to hire his own staff.************
    *******************************************
    Proof why you never allow a rookie HC to hire his own staff. Reggie needed to dictate some policy. You allow him more leeway as he proves he knows how to use it. He still hasn’t brought in a great staff. It was easy to improve upon what he did last year.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

You guys may be used to Al Davis being petty. I don’t Reggie is that way. Nobody has Reggie scholarships that I know of.

• The_Judge37

PilagingJustForFun Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 5:13 pm
    David Shaw or Gruden 2014
    —-

Or Lovie Smith

• The_Judge37

KoolKell Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 5:14 pm
    —–

Coye Francise was pretty useless last year and he’s was the 1st player signed in the offseason.

He’s Reggie’s Hiram Eugene.

• SilverLining20

Del Zotto of the Rangers just got smacked in the ear by the puck from less than five feet away.
    That’s gotta hurt.

• SnBG

Eastoaklandraider Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 5:12 pm
    110.SnBG Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 5:04 pm
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

————–

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    I could be wrong here but I don’t remember Mr Davis ever calling a coach out in public. I think he showed a lot of class that way.

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

—————————-
    Yeah, He never called out Kiffin lol

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Hard for Al Davis to call out coaches in Public, when they’re just doing what he says to do.

• eastoaklandraider

Its funny to me that some feel coaches and players shouldnt be embarassed in the media, its all apart of the job which is why they make the big bucks. If I sucked balls like Chuck B did I wouldnt be embarassed by what Hue said, in fact I would go to the podium and say coach Jackson is right I dserve to be fired and Im going back to the drawing board to work on my craft as a DC.

• ESETERIK78

132.KoolKell Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 5:23 pm

==============================

RACK HIM!

• Plunk-It

What do you guys think? Are we an improved team on paper?

Sims > Kelly
    Kluwe Palmer
    Kasa > Gordon
    Moore > Clayton
    Hayden > Chekwa

• PilagingJustForFun

Whaat

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reported on NFL 32 that fourth-round pick Tyler Wilson made a “very big impression” on Raiders brass during his first week of offseason practices.
    Mort suggested Raiders officials believe Wilson “looks a little better than (they) thought” he would. It’s a positive early step because Wilson is likely to shine in live, contact situations as well due to his toughness in the pocket. Right now, Wilson is just throwing the ball against air and DBs who can’t hit. In terms of being a value pick, Wilson was our favorite quarterback in the 2013 draft.
    —————————-
    Good to hear positive stuff

• SnBG

Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush) Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 5:22 pm
    —————————-
    Yeah, He never called out Kiffin lol
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Link? Didn’t Kifin call him out and Davis said we’ll see in court when the facts come ? Just asking

• Plunk-It

Porter > Spencer
    Kluwe Palmer
    Kasa > Gordon
    Moore > Clayton
    Hayden > Chekwa

• DutchRaider77

C’Mon, After Schaub went down and the Texans rookie QB came in everyone was all over Knapp’s Ball$ack…that he was sort of genius.

HE WAS A FRAUD! No imagination!

• Priesttj12

Reggie is no different in fact he is much more protective of his own picks than he is the talent on this team. Reggie plays favorites…………period

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

SnBG Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 5:25 pm
    Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush) Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 5:22 pm
    —————————-
    Yeah, He never called out Kiffin lol
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    ————————-
    umm…don’t you remember the overhead projector??????

• Priesttj12

Kasa > Gordon
    Moore > Clayton
    Hayden > Chekwa
    ***************
    Rhetoric!!

• PilagingJustForFun

Ain’t your Daddy’s Raiders!!! I don’t know who the Fcckk these Raiders are!!!

• Priesttj12

If Butler gives us more than what DHB would’ve he will be the pick of this draft………..period

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

I love Al Davis Football. Pound the ball, pound the ball, bring the Defense up, then throw it behind them (Stretching)

During the Great years the Raiders were in the Top 5 rushing the ball. Always.

I think scientifically that’s the way to go.

• PilagingJustForFun

Lovie for DC when Tarver gets fired with DA! Gruden and Lovie

• SnBG

KoolKell Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 5:23 pm
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    LOL. I guess there’s that also

• SnBG

Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush) Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 5:27 pm
    SnBG Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 5:25 pm
    Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush) Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 5:22 pm
    —————————-
    Yeah, He never called out Kiffin lol
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    ————————-
    umm…don’t you remember the overhead projector??????
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Tell you the truth, I don’t remember. Tell me more.

• Twocents

Judge37, do you know for a fact that Francies has made the 53 man roster?