Josh Cribbs Q&A

Transcription of a conference call with newly-signed Raiders return specialist/wide receiver Josh Cribbs:

Q: What appealed to you about the Raiders?

Cribbs: I feel like the Raiders are a traditional winning team, like Cleveland is, they won a lot of games in the past, have a history of it. It’s a blue-collar, underdog city. It’d be so great to come here and win games and fight for an opportunity to win games. I feel like they’re moving in the right direction and I would love to be a part of it when they turn things around.

Q: Been here as visiting player, your impressions?

Cribbs: This is a hard-core team. I knew of the tradition, and that’s why I’m going to keep harping on today, I knew of the tradition of this organization and all that it stands for. It’s one thing that stuck (with) me. Not just that, but the coaching staff as well, and the organization. I love the opportunity to play for Bobby April, as special teams coordinator, and have a chance to put his niche on things, great special teams coach, I just want to come here and succeed and I feel I have the best opportunity to do that here in Oakland. I’m familiar with a lot of their guys because I played against them, I had the opportunity to join some fellow former teammates off of my team and keep the ball rolling.

Q: Made your rounds some discussion what shape your knee was in. The Jets GM said knee was right yet . . . unusual for GM to make public comment about someone’s health . . . that aside, where are you physically?

Cribbs: I’m doing well. Never as a player, do I comment on injury, but I believe the firszt game is in September or August and it’s barely June. We’re not lining up to play football. If we were lining up to play football in June, then this would be a hot topic. I will be ready to play football when it’s time to play football, and I think that’s the important thing. I don’t know a GM would come out and say that other than using it as a negotiation tactic. It was well perceived and I think as a whole everybody knew what was going on about that. But I’m an Oakland Raider now, I’m a part of Raider Nation, and that’s one reason, another reason why I chose Oakland. Rich fan base. Similar to Cleveland. They’re a die-hard fan base. They’re all about their team. Win or lose, they hold their team and their players to a high standard and that’s what I won’t have to miss coming to Oakland because it’s the same situation, playing hard for the fans and they’ll reward you.

Q: Are you hoping there will be a role as a receiver as well as a kick returner?

Cribbs: Oh, definitely. I think there’s definitely possibility for competition at that position. At this point, my job is to come in and be a special teams guru, to help solidify our special teams unit in the NFL and to raise our goals and our standards. And we will do that. We will become an elite unit. I’m just fortunate enough to be able to assist in that under coach April.

Q: How much did change in kickoff rules affect kickoff returns league-wide and for yourself?

Cribbs: I think it affected everyone, as well as the coaches and the players, because you’re having to teach a different style of play. You have to re-teach certain fundamentals that you’ve been teaching and coaching styles that have been going on for years. I came out and I was against the rule, but it doesn’t matter because everyone has to deal with it, but at the same time, I came in under a different rules. It wasn’t like I was a rookie when the rules changed and I had an opportunity to move forward in that manner. I had to change my style as well. I kind of still disagree with it, but I’ve go to take it moving, I’ve got to take it rolling and I’ve got to move on with my business in that manner. I still haven’t found a significance for the rule change other than them saying, it’s supposedly supposed to stop injury, but at the same time, I understand that the NFL is trying to make the league safer. I commend them those efforts, but football is football, it’s 100 percent injury, it’s not, if you’re going to get injured, it’s when. We know the sport we sign up for, and I just try to play it as I see it. The rules change every year, certain rule changes, and I hope that in the near future there are not so many rule changes to come. It really kind of dilutes the game of football and it’s not the sport, it’s becoming a different sport than what we all grew up on.

Q: Chris Kluwe said publicly he’ll be joining the Raiders, although no announcement has been made. Your impression of fielding punts from Chris and what it says about the club’s commitment to special teams that they’re going after guys like you and Kluwe?

Cribbs: Definitely, I commend the effort. I also wanted to come to a team that the head coach and the GM and the organization was committed to their special teams unit. I feel like the special teams unit, if you have a great special teams unit, you can have the ability to change the football game. You can also kind of be, when you have a dynamic special teams unit, you can be slightly sub-par on offense or defense with the special teams carrying you. When you don’t have a good special teams, you have to have a good defense and a good offense. But with a dynamic special teams we can set up field position for the offense and pin opposing offenses deep in their own territory to set up a good opportunity for our defense to stop ‘em, so I really commend their efforts in creating a dynamic situation for our special teams to be an elite team in the NFL.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• PilagingJustForFun

I like the Texas A&M Coach also

• hendu

pjff 124, either,imo. DA may turn out to be a Good/Great HC, time will tell… Do We Have the Time? I think Gruden or the ex Steeler Hc, Bill C, DShaw, Raiders are up against the clock, lease runs out this year? They need to WIN, 9 and 7, min…Been a long drought, I saw ALL Raider SB wins, and want You young fans to feel it, see it,etc Nothing like Jack London Square after a SB win…

• http://ibabuss.com antispy3

Give concrete examples, priestj @ 21. . .not just innuendo. . .that’s cheap & disengenuous. . .

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

SnBG Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 5:32 pm
    Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush) Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 5:27 pm
    SnBG Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 5:25 pm
    Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush) Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 5:22 pm
    I could be wrong here but I don’t remember Mr Davis ever calling a coach out in public. I think he showed a lot of class that way.
    —————————-
    Yeah, He never called out Kiffin lol
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Link? Didn’t Kifin call him out and Davis said we’ll see in court when the facts come ? Just asking
    ————————-
    umm…don’t you remember the overhead projector??????
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Tell you the truth, I don’t remember. Tell me more.
    ——————————
    It was probably the greatest press conference of al time!!!!!!!!!! (pun intended)
    see if you can youtube it. look for Al Davis press conference for 2008-it was epic!

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

I love Al Davis Football. Pound the ball, Pound the ball, which forces the Defense up, then throw it behind them (Stretching)

During the Great years the Raiders were in the Top 5 rushing the ball. Always.

I think scientifically that’s the way to go.

• SnBG

Hendu Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 5:35 pm
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    That’s the truth. Remember the fires in the street. Got wasted at the Elegant Farmer. Didn’t even like the restaurant. Got sick on booze and veal cordon blue

• SnBG

Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush) Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 5:22 pm
    —————————-
    Yeah, He never called out Kiffin lol
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    ————————-
    umm…don’t you remember the overhead projector??????
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Tell you the truth, I don’t remember. Tell me more.
    ——————————
    ””””””””””””””
    Will do. Don’t know why I don’t remember that.

• PilagingJustForFun

The nobody Defense

• Priesttj12

*****************************************
    Listen I could spend all day listing the stupid moves I feel he made. I really don’t want to debate them But I do know of many that he has made that were just wasted moves just to make moves. Suffice to know he didn’t talk to any of his own FA’s and most of them went to playoff contenders. That should tell you all you need to know…………period

• Twocents

In the old days one could go to a bar in Jack London Square and talk to the players after a big win.
    Today there would be riots in the streets and aholes destroying private property. Times have changed.

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

157.SnBG Says:
    Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush) Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 5:22 pm
    —————————-
    Yeah, He never called out Kiffin lol
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    ————————-
    umm…don’t you remember the overhead projector??????
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Tell you the truth, I don’t remember. Tell me more.
    ——————————
    ””””””””””””””
    Will do. Don’t know why I don’t remember that.

————————-
    Go to youtube and type “Al Davis fires Lane Kiffin” and get the popcorn!

• hendu

156, SnBG, those were the days, late 70s and early 80s, time for this Team to Build a smash mouth Team, and realize the Dream… RAIDERS!!!!

• papertiger418

Does RoMac get to keep his green beanie, at least?

You know, to remember the good times.

• PilagingJustForFun

Wonder why Reggie and Mark laughing on the sideline at Rookie mini camp?

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Before Free Agency, players used to live in the neighborhood.

• dr_robert

Priesttj12 Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 5:10 pm
    inonewordraider Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 5:03 pm
    Cleveland actually has a better GM and a more solid foundation. Reggie reduced us to rubble.
    ____________
    why not boycott and not watch the games?
    *****************************
    You boycott, by not spending money. Which is precisely what I’m doing. The need to show me they’re about winning intead of Biased preferential treatment.
    *********

I can’t believe a grown nan thinks they would do that.

• Scourge

Evening, all!

RNOraiderFan Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Speaking of Howie, what’s he doing now a days. Maybe we should sign him. He would be better then anyone else on that side.
    ========================================

Besides his TV sports gig and some commercials for a truck company, he also wrote a book about football. Not his experiences (some references though) but about the game. The rules, positions, plays, etc.

Long, Howie (2007) Football for Dummies, 3rd edition. New York: Wiley. ISBN 978-0-470-12536-6.

I read part of it but had to stop because of other time commitments.

• PilagingJustForFun

No games for me this year! Will wait for the Kaboos to hit on this train wreck

• Twocents

Priest is a blithering idiot. He should have a warning label on all his comments.

• radraider

I cant wait for all these signings and rookies to shake things out during ota’s so we have a better idea what we have. until then its all speculation. then we have to wait for pre-season to get an idea where were at. then 8 games into season to see if its working. its like hitting the first 3 lotto numbers and waiting for the rest to fall.

• PilagingJustForFun

Not saying we’re not going the right direction but gimme a legitimate Coach to work these scrubs into pro football players

• dr_robert

I can tell u if I’m hired to run a team that has sucked for a decade and my career depends on my success, I’m not giving a sh1t about sacred cows.

I’m burning the place down and doing it the way I wanna do it.

That way my success or failure is in me, not the the people who ran the team that sucked for a decade.

Deal with it.

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

171.PilagingJustForFun Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 5:55 pm

————-
    yup

• SnBG

Twocents Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 5:45 pm
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    True, Remember UPPY’s,great place. The restaurant,not in JLS,,, I worked at had a lot of Raiders come in to it. On Friday nights we’d get a lot of the opposing teams coaches also.

• PilagingJustForFun

TP will get tossed for a 5th

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

yup

174.SnBG Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 5:57 pm
    Twocents Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 5:45 pm
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

————————
    Did you “take care” of the opposing teams coaches? lol

• SnBG

KoolKell Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 5:48 pm
    Before Free Agency, players used to live in the neighborhood.
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    For sure. Did you ever go to Ricks in SL. Lots of players used to hang out there.

• SnBG

Did you “take care” of the opposing teams coaches? lol
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    LOL OK, good one.

• radraider

that’s Rickies im sure you’ve never been there or its a typo

• PilagingJustForFun

Reggie gonna have to take a shot in the GUT and not be so stuborn

• PilagingJustForFun

Go deep

• SnBG

Radraider Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 6:03 pm
    that’s Rickies im sure you’ve never been there or its a typo
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Your right, Rickies . Lots of screens with all kinds of games and the bar to the right of the seating areas and a good restaurant. I had a friend that was a cocktail waitress there and was dating one of the players at the time Plunkett was the QB.She used to tell me stories about Rick the owner. Do I have his name right?

• PilagingJustForFun

Peace out

• jesusraiderjim

It’s RICKY’S Dumbass you musta been really drunk when you where there or that’s a typo

• jesusraiderjim

LOL

• irjonny

Woodson’s coming to town tuesday

• jesusraiderjim

You people crack my up.

Monkeys

Where is the zookeeper O?

• SnBG

Jesusraiderjim Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 6:08 pm
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Thxs man for the correction. I was a bit toasted many times there.

• jesusraiderjim

Just fvckin around anyway. But I couldn’t resist.

• hendu

I believe youre thinking of Rickys in San Leandro, a Great Raider Bar. If youre out of the area and have a chance to visit, go for it…And I dont work for them, was in fact 86d in the late 70s. Good time tho, always…

• jesusraiderjim

Quit crackin ME up.

• SnBG

Ok now her’s the controversy. Is it Ricky’s or Rickies. I have to posts with different spelling. Honestly I don’t remember how you spell it.

• radraider

me neither I ndont spell very well

• ESETERIK78

Ricky’s

There’s one in San Rafael too, I drive by it all the time.

• radraider

to many longboards already

• jesusraiderjim

I really was just FVCKIN around but it’s Ricky’s I remember from driving by there when I was younger, but I did google it too.

• ESETERIK78

Actually we’re all wrong. It’s spelled like Rickey Henderson.

EY

• SnBG

Irjonny Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 6:09 pm
    Woodson’s coming to town tuesday
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    That will be interesting. He may come now?

• ESETERIK78

Check that again.

Spelled with ey in San Rafeal, Ricky’s in San Leandro.

• SnBG

Jesusraiderjim Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 6:19 pm
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Why don’t you go in sometime. I guess it’s a bit old school now. Haven’t been in there in maybe 15 years