Kluwe says he’s signing with Raiders

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Thursday, May 16th, 2013 at 7:18 am in Oakland Raiders.

Veteran punter Chris Kluwe told former teammate Brendon Ayanbadejo he will be signing with the Raiders, according to a Fox Sports.com report.

Ayanbadejo writes a column for Fox Sports.com and quoted Kluwe as saying, “I’m excited to be an Oakland Raider and be playing in California,” Kluwe, who attended high school in Southern California before going to UCLA, told me on Wednesday. “Now, my family can actually come to games.”

Kluwe, 31, averaged 45.2 yards on 70 punts for the Minnesota Vikings last season. Veteran punter Shane Lechler signed with the Houston Texans this offseason, with Marquette King, who stayed on the roster last season following a weight room accident, and undrafted Idaho free agent Bobby Cowan also on the roster.

The socially active kicker, with a double-major in political science and history out of UCLA, is known for speaking his mind and is an advocate for same-sex marriage.

Last season December in a game against the Chicago Bears, Kluwe wore a jersey with a Hall of Fame patch covered with a post-it note which said, “Vote Ray Guy,” to protest the fact that there are punters in the Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio.

Kluwe would be the second piece added to the Raiders special teams in two days, with the Raiders reportedly coming to terms with Josh Cribbs Monday.

Neither move has been confirmed by the Raiders.

McGloin has a degree in broadcast journalism.

I’m sure Kluwe will give him something to write about!

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

RaiderRockstar Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 12:08 pm
    @Bcz

i’m sure Reggie has “insulted” lots of players with league minimum offers

so what?

I’d rather have a low offer than no offer at all. Wouldn’t you?
    ——————-
    Your saying it like Shane wasn’t going to get offers lol

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

RaiderRockstar Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 11:49 am
    Lechler was a 7x Pro Bowler.

Kluwe?

=========================================

“Was” being the operative word. We all have great memories of Shane, but to paraphrase Oliver Stone, “memories don’t punt the way they used to.”

• Just Fire Baby

You have to offer UDFA’s 3 year contracts.

• R8ER MIKE

itzSteve Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 12:08 pm
    Matt McGloin ‏@McGloinQB11 19h
    Just signed a 3 year deal with the Oakland Raiders. Thanks to everyone who supported me throughout the years. #raidernation #14
    Retweeted by Paul Gutierrez

Why would we sign this guy for 3 years???

************************
    thats the skinny kid from the Super bad movie….
    no wait his name was Mclovin… sorry my bad.. carry on !!

• itzSteve

R8ER MIKE Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 12:13 pm

itzSteve Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 12:08 pm
    Matt McGloin ‏@McGloinQB11 19h
    Retweeted by Paul Gutierrez

Why would we sign this guy for 3 years???

************************
    thats the skinny kid from the Super bad movie….
    no wait his name was Mclovin… sorry my bad.. carry on !!
    ————————

TP has been officially put on notice!!!

You are fun to talk Raiders with

***

@HB

i’ve been sticking with this topic. you guys keep trying to get other non-football related comments out of me!

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

ItzSteve Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 12:08 pm
    Matt McGloin ‏@McGloinQB11 19h
    Retweeted by Paul Gutierrez

Why would we sign this guy for 3 years???

=====================================

CBA says that all UDFAs get three-year, non-guaranteed deals.

• inonewordraider

who??

________
    GREAT SIGNING!

says all reggie supporters

(fyi i’m a reggie supporter)

actually i think he’s the guy that saw sandusky goin to town on that kid then went home and cried to his daddy

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

I’m assuming this means sayonara to Kyle “even less accurate than Pryor” Padron…

• RaidingTexas

Goodbye Terrell Pryor.

• R8ER MIKE

TP has been officially put on notice!!!

***************************************
    lol .. yeah to change numbers and run the route tree !!

• ShanghaiSmith

Oh man, that Virginia Barkley! She raised some fine boys.

• RaidingTexas

Duck, I figured Padron and someone else were already casualties to make room for Cribbs and Kluwe.

• qodrn1

Why didn’t we sign Lechler again?

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

RaiderRockstar Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 12:14 pm
    You are fun to talk Raiders with

***

@HB

———————-
    The only non football topic I made was when I asked if you didn’t like Kluwe because of his beliefs.

Other than that I’m pretty good about about staying on topic.

Although Hunting/fishing are always welcome conversations.

• inonewordraider

Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush) Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 12:10 pm
    RaiderRockstar Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 12:07 pm
    @HB

are you taking notes from Raider O?

why make this personal?

I don’t need blogging advice.. lol
    ———————
    It’s not personal for me fellow Raider fan.
    I just don’t like it when your hypocritical on a daily basis as well as condescending.

You are fun to talk Raiders with but you need to take the arrogance down a notch. Once again it’s not personal just something to think about.

__________
    pretty soon RRS is gonna be telling us that while he’s on his ranch in podunk enjoying the summer, we all have to go on to our regular lives (insinuating we’re a bunch of peasants)

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

RaidingTexas Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 12:16 pm

=======================================

Cowan would be a logical cut. You don’t need three punters in camp.

As for the other cut…probably a UDFA receiver or DB.

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Qodrn1 Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 12:16 pm
    Why didn’t we sign Lechler again?

======================================

Too much $$$.

• itzSteve

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 12:14 pm

ItzSteve Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 12:08 pm
    Matt McGloin ‏@McGloinQB11 19h
    Retweeted by Paul Gutierrez

Why would we sign this guy for 3 years???

=====================================

CBA says that all UDFAs get three-year, non-guaranteed deals.

——————————

I didn’t know that…thanks for the info! He could be practice squad bound then…

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

RaiderRockstar Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 11:48 am
    Raider O,

what is your beef with me?

i’m flattered (I guess) but let it go

#beef_squashed
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I’m flattered too. You don’t want my beef? lol

• ShanghaiSmith

I love it.. Just when the players are starting to formulate their own feelings about the QB situation, add another one. Like placing another log in the fire.

• ohioraider

RaiderRockstar Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 12:08 pm

@Bcz

i’m sure Reggie has “insulted” lots of players with league minimum offers

so what?

I’d rather have a low offer than no offer at all. Wouldn’t you?
    ———————————
    Lol, dude, you seem to be taking this personally. Listen up, son. Come close. Stop wringing your hands for a second and let me tell you a heartwarming tale.

Today, as we speak, Shane Lechler is very happy man. Rich. Content. Makes scads of money playing a young man’s game. Just signed with a playoff contender. Close to his family. He loves Texas.

And Reggie got to turn his attention to the numerous troubling, talent starved gaps in his roster. See, son, this was a win-win all around. Very rare in life. Try to learn to appreciate it when you see it.

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

Is anyone going to humor me with the idea of Terell Pryor making the Joe Webb transformation?

• RaidingTexas

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:

CBA says that all UDFAs get three-year, non-guaranteed deals.

—————————————–

Didn’t know that either. I retract my “goodbye” to TP.

• dr_robert

A few ways to view the Kluwe signing:

1) Reggie is anti-Al Davis and should have kept Lechler.

2) Reggie is racist (post traumatic slave syndrome–i could barely type that from the laughter) and won’t give King the chance he somehow “deserves”.

3) Reggie cleared Lechler’s out of whack contract, especially with evidence that he’s slipping, and is bringing in a vet to compete with a promising youngster.

Your choice of the three dictates your level of both football acumen and sanity.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

RaiderRockstar Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 12:07 pm
    @HB

are you taking notes from Raider O?

why make this personal?

I don’t need blogging advice.. lol
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

You make things personal when you tell people what they shouldn’t talk about here, when you insult their beliefs, and when you talk about their families/ or their parenting skills.
    It’s not rocket science.

• qodrn1

I hope Mr. Klewe realizes that with Oakland being near San Francisco, many of his views may not be well received here. Could be interesting if he makes the team.

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

new post

• ShanghaiSmith

I think Reggie also recognizes that a new breed of punters is emerging.. Lechler might still be the best, but this coming generation of punters will raise the bar, me thinks.

• ShanghaiSmith

Don’t let time pass you by, balance that board properly and transition to the next rising wave

• Gdog

JLofty Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Holy melted cheeseburgers Batman.

GDog, you are obviously a distrought Raiders fan and who can blame after all the abuse we taken in the last 20 years.

But dude you are SO focused on the tiny picture the micro perspective you are arguing points that are banal.

Our entire ORGANIZATION was a disaster! ALL of it. Sadly Al wasn’t real good at transitional planning and when he passed (RIP) it was a complete dumpster fire.

You can argue whether we should have purged Seymour sooner rather than later, you can bemoan whether we should have kept Routt Whimbley Huffy McLoser, TKelly Palmer on the roster.

But facts are facts and you don’t seem or want to understand the BIG picture. We needed to burn the place down, collect the insurance money and start over.

Do I personally wish RegMcK had started earlier? – YES!
    Do I blame him for taking the time to evaluate before he lit the torch? – NO!

>>>>

If Reggie wanted to torch the place, why on earth did he wait a frigging year? To win a whopping 4 games??

The money he wasted on Seymour could have been used to sign Bryant this year. Instead we have NOBODY on the d-line but a bunch of scrubs.

And why even bring in Wheeler or Brisiel? Or even ANY free agent last year? Why bother? He wanted to torch the place but he was too scared to do it? Now we have to suffer through yet another embarrassing season.

And you think this is wonderful… great. You deserve 0-16.