McClain issues statement

By Steve Corkran
Thursday, May 16th, 2013 at 1:12 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Former Raiders middle linebacker Rolando McClain issued a statement Thursday about his future. Make of it what you will, just passing it along:
“Clearly, my decision to retire has raised some questions. Quite simply, I love football, but I have decided at this time it is in my best interest to focus on getting my personal life together. Beyond that, I am not sure what the future holds for me, including football. This was entirely my decision and the Ravens have been very supportive during this process. I am very grateful for the opportunity they gave me and wish them the best of luck in the future. God willing, maybe I’ll play for them one day.”
McClain was released by the Raiders earlier this year after three disappointing seasons with the team that selected him No. 8 in the 2010 NFL draft. He was signed by the Baltimore Ravens but opted to retire several days ago.

• Twocents

So Nycraider, what was Als excuse for not turning it around?

• John David Booty

Reggie has delivered on one promise so far, and thats getting the cap situation to a healthy level. Whether or not we all agree or disagree with how hes gotten it done is another thing. So he gets credit for at least completing that job, as we will be in real nice shape after this season. But then it comes to whether or not he’ll know what to do with that cap space. To date, he’s gotten rid of some guys that a lot of fans thought could have been good, but hes also gotten rid of some notorious check cashers. So we have both sides.

Im definitely willing to give Reggie more time than Im willing to give his handpicked coach, who I just dont believe in at all, but we’ll see.

• Marks hair

143. I know what you’re saying but really, we are the Raiders. we were built to play Raider football.. so to say reg didn’t know our players strengths is wrong… he knew.

• SnBG

Realtruraider Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 3:24 pm
    Fk that, I’m a Raider supporter, I am a AD supporter and a Reggie supporter, believe it or not MOST of Raider Nation are both, but you wouldn’t believe it if you just read this blog
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    That’s cool but no winning seasons since 2003 and you want to fire Reg after one year? Some folks here are wearing rose colored glasses when it comes to AD. The man had his day and he was great but if Reg had that many losing seasons what would some be saying here now.

• nycraider

If you invest in drafting a young CB whose gonna be the key for the secondary for years to come. Wouldnt you make sure you had a pass rush to help his development and not hurt his confidence?

• lefty12

Seymour was going to get the money no matter what we did.Why not try and get another year or two out of him anyway?Hasn’t he signed/drafted at least 8 DLinemen the last 2 years.Didn’t Washing spend the 2nd pick in the draft and then spend a 4th rd pick on a QB last year?It is also possible he overvalued the talent this team had before last season started,hence his different outlook concerning the team.He should be given at least 3 years before you say he was a failure,after all you gave Al at least 10(2002-2012).

• realtruraider

With over $30 mil in dead money and a whole regime change with roster turnover

That was the question someone asked earlier if any team EVER competed for playoffs after coming off a bad season and with $30 mil in deadmoney, I said the Colts and thats a fact, I could care less about everything else because I was answering a question.

Yeah I know we don’t have a Luck at QB but he wasn’t really great last year, yeah he put up yards like Palmer, but he had 8 games with 50% or less completion %, some on here obviously think thats a huge issue considering how much they bring up Pryors first NFL start completion %

• SnBG

Nycraider Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 3:26 pm
    This post goes out to all the excuse makers, the guys who insist rebuilding cant be done in one year,….see below
    2006 Browns 4-12
    2010 KC10-6
    2009 TB 3-13
    2010 TB10-6
    2009 ST L 1-15
    2010 STL 7-9
    2010 Bengals 4-12
    2011 Bengals 9-7(w/o CP3)
    2010 Broncos 4-12
    2011 Broncos 8-8(1st place)
    2012 year of the Excuse—2013 No Excuses!!!
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Yes, and everyone here bashing Reg would want all of those teams HC and GM’s fired after their first year without letting them work the second.

• Twocents

Even in the 70s the “genius” could not match the Steelers.

• lefty12

Didn’t Luck lead his team to more come-from-behind wins last season than an other QB-you know produce when it counted the most-at the end of games.Pretty much the opposite of our QB.

• nycraider

Twocents Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 3:29 pm
    So Nycraider, what was Als excuse for not turning it around?
    ————–
    I will be the first to admit , Al had issues with handling the salary cap. he struggled getting good coaches to come here, he also was in love with qbs with cannons for arms instead of looking at how the stablers, gannons, and even plunketts performed well because of their intelligence. However, his total body of work which i got to witness was incredible. There are only 5 teams with more superbowls than us, he also put a team together each decade to make the superbowl. And lastly , he was the raiders and was soley responsible for its mystique. Think about all the great players and coaches to be on our sidelines. But when you think about the raiders, you think Al Davis. He was an example to all of us and was a symbol of someone who always believed he would win.
    I have no problem with any criticism the last 10 years. However, what pisses me off is how easily people give Reggie credit when he has yet to prove he can rebuild. Yes he deserves time, but he doesnt deserve any praise yet when it comes to rebuilding

• SnBG

Realtruraider Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 3:34 pm
    With over $30 mil in dead money and a whole regime change with roster turnover

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Your arguement can’t hold water.
    A rebutul article to Silver.
    Now, before I go into how stupid this argument is because the Colts had THE NUMBER ONE PICK IN THE NFL DRAFT WHICH TURNED OUT TO BE ANDREW FREAKING LUCK A ONCE IN A GENERATION QUARTERBACK, let me talk about some other problems with the column:

1.) Silver pulls most of his quotes from ‘a source.’ Nothing is more frustrating than a writer hiding behind a nameless source (one who, quite honestly, sounds like he is Carson Palmer’s agent).

2.) Silver mentions that the Raiders had no draft picks last year and politely declines to mention how his BFF Hue Jackson was the one responsible for causing the Raiders to cough up a 1st and 2nd round pick for a proven quitter who is now about to quit on his 2nd team in 4 years.

3.) In one paragraph, Silver mentions that this offseason the Raiders let big impact players like Philip Wheeler get away. In the next paragraph he mentions Reggie McKenzie’s bad free agent signings. He fails to mention that Wheeler was signed by Reggie McKenzie…so I guess he didn’t miss on all of the free agents he brought in.

Now, as for the Colts/Raiders comparison, it doesn’t make sense for a couple of reasons.

1.) The Colts have been perenial contenders with ONE bad season in an otherwise stellar run. To wit: 2007: 13-3; 2008: 12-4; 2009: 14-2; 2010: 10-6 and then they had their bad season in 2011 when they went 2-14 and got the first overall pick. The Raiders have been without a winning season since 2003.

2.) The Colts had the first overall pick which was Andrew Luck. The Raiders didn’t pick until the very last pick in the third round.

3.) The Colts had ten draft picks, the Raiders had 5.

4.) Silver–or rather, Silver quoting from the ‘document’ he obtained–states that the Colts and Raiders had similar dead money situations: the Colts had $38 million in dead money and the Raiders had $28 million.

The difference? The Colts were able to get out of salary cap hell in one year. This year, they had $41 million in cap room when the offseason started. And what did they do with all of that cap-room? They signed a bunch of questionable players: Laron Landry got $14 million guaranteed, Ricky Jean Francois was given $22 million over 4 years and someone named Gosder Cherilus was given a $34 million over 5 years. So in the one year the Colts GM had money to spend, he spent it poorly. And even with all of those signings they still have over $11 million in cap space.

The Raiders meanwhile have $23 million of dead money this year. That is almost as much as last year. AND they only had about $4.5 million in salary cap space when free agency opened. After cutting and signing some players, they have about $7 million now. So they still had to take a chain saw to their roster, still had dead money, and still basically had no money to spend. That’s how bad their situation is.

5.) OK now here is the big one. You know how many games the 11-5 Colts won in 2012 by 5 points or less? 6.

You know how many games the 8-8 2011 Raiders won by 5 points or less? 4. And we all know what happened to them last year.

So, who wants to bet that the Colts take a BIG step back next year? I certainly do.

• theghostronin79

NYC,

All I can do is speculate on what the man was thinking. I’m SURE he wasn’t planning on Sucking last year. I would think he was just as surprised as we were once we saw the “On Field” product.

Timeframe? Honestly, I have to say at LEAST 3 years for ME, to make an honest assessment.

I Definately scratched my head about the Briesel deal. But hearing he was injured MOST of last year makes me wonder if we haven’t seen his best yet.

You have some legit concerns. However, I’m not ready to say that Reggie SUCKS. I’m not playing the trumpet for him at the same time. I just know how long we’ve dealt with losing seasons, and I’m willing to give it a couple more to see if he can do something with it.

I definately wanted an Edge Rusher early in the draft, but as a whole, it looks to be a pretty good group of guys. We’ll know by the end of the season if it was a good draft or not. Plus, we’ll need to lock down guys like Veldheer, and Houston……. We should have the cash to do that now.

• nycraider

2010 KC10-6
    2009 TB 3-13
    2010 TB10-6
    2009 ST L 1-15
    2010 STL 7-9
    2010 Bengals 4-12
    2011 Bengals 9-7(w/o CP3)
    2010 Broncos 4-12
    2011 Broncos 8-8(1st place)
    2012 year of the Excuse—2013 No Excuses!!!
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    —————–
    who wants reggie fired? just stop with all the praise until he proves himself!!

• Relentless

Two cents even you should know we got robbed with the immaculate deception.

• realtruraider

Lefty12 Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 3:32 pm

————————————————————

Reggie must of thought we were good enough to compete, like most on here, but he could of cut Seymour before the deadline last year and ate $7mil instead of paying him $14mil, Once the deadline past his whole contract became guaranteed so we were stuck with him.

In hindsight he should of cut him, but if he would of and our season ended how it did anyway, you would have people on here questioning that decision also. so……………..fk it some people just like to biotch, we have to give Reggie a chance atleast

• nycraider

Theghostronin79 Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 3:40 pm
    NYC,

———–
    good points..respect your point of view

• realtruraider

I’m done with ya, I was answering a question and I gave him an example, which is what he was asking for OK

• SnBG

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    —————–
    who wants reggie fired? just stop with all the praise until he proves himself!!
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    OK just stop with all of the negativity until he proves himself.

• Twocents

Relentless, it would not have come down to one play if the “genius” had seen that Stabler was his best QB.

• RaiderRetribution

All I’ve got to say regarding Indianapolis; Hayden pick six on Luck in the 4th qtr Raiders 24 Indianapolis 10.

• SnBG

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    161 good points and I was around during the 60′s so yes Al had great teams. I personally am not giving Reg a blanket praise ball but am saying that he needs the time to do his thing. Some here just want him gone now and that’s just not fair. Everyone makes good moves and bad moves, mistakes and hits are part of the package but to say he needs to be fired now just isn’t fair play.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

John David Booty Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 3:29 pm

===========================================

One other thing that McKenzie has done is get guys in here that love the game. McClain did not give a sh**. Bruce Campbell did not give a sh**. There were too many guys here that didn’t give a sh**.

• SnBG

Seymour Bush Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 3:57 pm
    John David Booty Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 3:29 pm

===========================================

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    and I would give him and DA credit for getting the players to play hard last year no matter what. Plus it was finally a pleasure to see the penalties going down. Nice to see some discipline.

• SnBG

Andy Dalton looks like Carrot Top.

• SnBG

Man I used to go crazy when the Raiders committed those 3rd and 1 penalties on D

• 8RaiderReign8