2,311

Chris Kluwe Q&A

Transcript of a conference call Friday with Raiders punter Chris Kluwe and the local media:

Q: How and when did all this transpire?

Kluwe: Well, I was born in 1981, grew up . . . no, after the Vikings released me I had kind of been waiting to see what would happen. My agent had contact with the Raiders, said they were interested, was brought in for a tryout, think I punted fairly well and they decided to bring me in for the OTAs and hopefully fall camp.

Q: Exciting to come to the Raiders with their history of punters, Guy, Lechler . . .what would it mean to come in here and punt for the Raiders?

Kluwe: It would be awesome. The Raiders have a great history of not just punters, but special teams overall. The Raiders have always been one of those teams where they take a lot of pride in their special teams and it really shows. For me to have a chance to come in and contribute to that I’m really looking forward to it.

Q: Moved to California when you were a kid?

Kluwe: I was born in Philadelphia but my parents moved to Southern California when I was about one, so for all intents and purposes I grew up in Southern California.

Q: Did you have hope you would play for an NFL team in California?

Kluwe: It would be nice, I was actually kind of hoping to do the spend-your-entire-career-with-one-team thing, I think that’s pretty cool and you get kind of that legacy, almost. At the same time, I think that’s really hard to do in the modern NFL. That really doesn’t happen that much any more. So yeah, the situation coming up was just amazing for me because I’m a lot closer to my family now. My parents will be able to come out and see quite a few more games. It’s really cool.

Q: Do you think you’re coming off your two best seasons?

Kluwe: I think I’ve had a pretty good career in general. I’ve had good numbers. I’ve always strived to do exactly what the coaches want me to do. My goal is just to be here and help this team win any way I can. You don’t really hope to see your punter on the field that much, but when he’s out there, you hope you can do what’s necessary to help the team win.

Q: Were you surprised Vikings didn’t bring you back?

Kluwe: I was a little surprised, because I think I contributed over the years to the team, but it’s the NFL, it’s business, and it’s just one of the unfortunate aspects of the business in that we don’t get to call our own shots as players. We kind of have to go with what management and coaches want.

Q: You’ve had a pretty interesting career outside of football, social activism, rock and roll, twitter, you looking forward to Raider fans? Have you already gotten a Twitter bump?

Kluwe: Yeah, I’m definitely looking forward to interacting with Raider fans. Raider fans are very passionate about the team and really looking forward to getting to meet quite a few of those people. I know in Minnesota it was a lot of fun, just doing Twitter events and things like that. Hopefully here in Oakland it will be the same way.

Q: You’re known for being outspoken about civil rights issues, in particular, you’re focused on California Prop 8. What are your plans with regard to Prop 8?

Kluwe: Well, my first plan is to make the team. That’s the overriding influence right now. I don’t really anticipate a whole lot necessary there because it’s one of those things where the Supreme Court should look at it and realize that there are established precedents in place to rule the right way on this case. I’m hopeful that once June rolls around, the Supreme Court will have made the right decision.

Q: Were you surprised at the nation-wide acceptance of Jason Collins coming out as gay?

Kluwe: I was pleasantly surprised, I guess, just the fact that this seems to be something that as younger generations grow up, they really don’t see what the fuss is about. That gives me hope for the future of our society because it really is a matter of people being free to live their own lives without being oppressed by other people, which is kind of the very core of this civilization.

Q: Raiders had a focus on high-character guys of late . . how do you fit into that?

Kluwe: Hopefully I fit in pretty well. I’ve never been arrested. I’ve never done anything detrimental to the team or said anything detrimental about coaches or other players. For me, I just want to come out and help the Raiders win in any way I can. That’s what my job here is to do, help the football team win game.

Q: Did I read your stats right, that you’ve only had one punt blocked?

Kluwe: Yeah, and the only reason it got blocked is that I dropped it. That’s one of those things I also pride myself on, that I have one of the quickest get-off times in the NFL. It hopefully takes some pressure off the guys blocking up front where they can get down and get in coverage faster because they know I’m going to get the ball off.

Q: Seems like kickers and specialists are almost like a brotherhood, do you know Sebastian Janikowski and Jon Condo at all?

Kluwe: I got a chance to meet them when the Raiders played in Minnesota, three or four years ago. Didn’t get a real chance to talk to them outside of that, but I’m definitely looking forward to meeting them and getting to know them, because it is one of those things where unless you’re a specialist, you really don’t understand what the specialist’s job is like. It’s sort of that specialist job you have to do to know what it is. I’m anticipating good relations with both of them and also getting to know Marquette. I met him when I went in for my work out and he seems like a great kid.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• MEX_GHOST

MEX_GHOST Says:
    May 20th, 2013 at 7:56 am
    J Hill Says:
    May 20th, 2013 at 7:24 am
    This is ALL about Flynn, Pryor, and Wilson!!!!!

We get a STUD or 2 out of that group, and we are right back in this thing.
    —————————————–
    1 STUD and 1 avg to backup him. Don´t you will be happy with this?
    ———————————
    *Won´t is better?
    Sorry.
    Why the fúck nobody corrects my grammar mistakes?

• guest123

@G123

Gallo?
    209, baby!

^^^^^^^^^

No, that place is huge! West Modesto. No, mine is smaller. Much smaller. Not that far from Gallo too. But it has grapes that are cultivated and a couple houses that I rent out. No big deal.

Didn’t we sign Usama Bin Youngen to play FS?

***

lol @ Dakota

he’s one of our semi pro bloggers here known as Raider U

• Dakota

The_Judge37 Says:
    May 20th, 2013 at 8:40 am
    Didn’t we sign Usama Bin Youngen to play FS?
    ——-
    Yes but a guy who wasn’t good enough to be resigned by the Cleveland Browns isn’t going to help our future anymore than Woodson.
    +++++++++

I’ll take a young castoff who might have a chip on his shoulder over the chance that Woodson regresses back to the same cancer he was in Oakland once the team played poorly, and who is more likely to show the young players on our team how to slack off and still collect a check rather than teach them anything positive. I fear Woodson will play at half speed because he simply is not that interested in playing for a team that has zero chance to do anything special.

@Judge

what did you re-name us last week?

the Oakland Brownholes?

• Violent Hands
  • willy91137

I do not care if Carson Palmer has a pro-bowl season

I would like to see Pryor have a Pro bowl season

Carson Palmer is a good quarterback with the right pieces he can win you some games

but he is in a division that is really starting to come along it’s starting to look like the NFC North the black and blue division’s

• The_Judge37

RaiderRockstar Says:
    May 20th, 2013 at 8:44 am
    @Judge

what did you re-name us last week?

the Oakland Brownholes?
    —-

Oakland Brownpackers

• guest123

Saw that pic of Keenan Allen in a Raider hat. lol It’s ok Keenan, you can wear your Raiders pajamas to sleep when no one is looking.

• guest123

The only thing I predict for Carson Palmer is PAIN

• papertiger418

Didn’t we sign Usama Bin Youngen to play FS?
    ——-

That’s RaiderO’s favorite player, right?

• The_Judge37

————

I’d rather take the chance on a HOF player with a chip on his shoulder for 1-2 more years than Cle. BRown Reject. And i don’t think he’s out Night clubbing still, he might be able to teach young guys like Hayden how to stay away from that life, focus on FB as well as the tricks of the trade when it comes to being a real RAIDERS CB.

thanks Judge #2258, even worse

lol

• Dakota

Arizona’s o-line MIGHT not be as bad as it was in 2012. They drafted Cooper 7th overall, and they drafted another linemen….and they signed a couple of guys and they are getting Levi Brown back, who missed most of last year…..and they have a new o-line coach.

Besides, Palmer just has to close his eyes and throw the ball up for Fitz. I think Palmer gets 30 TDs next year.

• The_Judge37

RaiderRockstar Says:
    May 20th, 2013 at 8:51 am
    thanks Judge #2258, even worse
    —–

Yeah I’m not proud of it, but at least Reggie didn’t keep any of Hue Jackson’s guys around. Then we’d be the Oakland Brownpacking Bungles.

• http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo249/the408RAIDER/749px-I-420svg.png 408RAIDER

Mornin Nation,

are our beat writers going to be @ OTA’s today?

it’s sad that like 90% of NFL players are addicted to facebook, twitter & instagram

most of them under age 30. new generation of footballers.

Goodell is making them even softer with NFL rules & regs

***

@Judge

we made an offer to Cedric Benson last year..and Terence Newman this year

it wasn’t for Reggie’s lack of effort that name was avoided!

• Gdog

Dakota Says:
    May 20th, 2013 at 8:52 am

>>>>

Their rookie RT last year sucked at first but didn’t give up a sack after game 8.

They will be fine at O-line if Brown returns to his second half 2011 form.

• Dakota

1. The_Judge37 Says:
    May 20th, 2013 at 8:50 am
    ————
    +++++++++++++++

I would agree if we had a veteran team making a playoff run. People don’t change very often…..maybe Woodson is the exception. I wouldn’t risk it. On a good team with a good QB and a strong coach and organization he can conform, just like Moss. On a bad team with a weak HC and no chance….I doubt Woodson brings much to the table.

The Broncos are the perfect situation for him.

• willy91137

We hope so

• Violent Hands

Yeah im worried you cant hit nobody like soccer

• guest123

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootise pop?

Owl says: One-two-crunch-three!

How many licks does it take to get Carson Palmer carted off on a stretcher and onto IR?

Raiders said: 26 sacks. He averaged 23 sacks over his career per season. Last year’s 26th sack crunched his ribs.

How you figure he’s going to hold up after the 50th sack or so?

• guest123

are our beat writers going to be @ OTA’s today?

^^^^^^^^^

I heard the press isn’t allowed at OTA’s.

• The_Judge37

The Broncos are the perfect situation for him.
    ——-

Broncos are already too old for him in the secondary, which is why they didn’t sign him. Bailey’s alredy getting burned and needs to move to FS.

We have nothing but young guys on Defense, especially in secondary. Only real veteran on the entire team is Andre Carter. Everyone else only knows a losing tradition. Woodson at FS would just need to be able to cover their mistakes and teach them to correct it.

I heard the press isn’t allowed at OTA’s.

***

@G123

the Raiders usually allow the media access to one day per week, just like training camp

and the media is only allowed to “report” certain things. there are rules they have to follow

• Dakota

guest123 Says:
    May 20th, 2013 at 8:59 am
    How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootise pop?
    Owl says: One-two-crunch-three!
    How you figure he’s going to hold up after the 50th sack or so?

+++++++++++++

Oh please, not all sacks are like the one he took that ended his season last year. Since he became a starter he has only missed 4 games outside of the 12 he missed due to his knee injury.

The guy is tough. He can take a hit.

Raiders “over the hill” gang :

Barnes – 31
    Carter – 34
    Condo – 31
    Hanson – 31
    Janikowski – 35
    Kluwe – 31

the Raiders probably have the youngest roster in the NFL with only 6 players over the age 30 and 3 of them are special teamers

Seabass is only 5 years younger than Dennis Allen

• realtruraider

Media has access today only, believe it or not they use to get more access during Rookie camp and OTA’s under the old regime (all three days) although they would be confined to a penalty box

Doesn’t Reggie know we need our fix?

• RNOraiderFan

Morning Nation

• theghostronin79

This year seems to be flying by….As opposed to years past. I’m anticipating some good competition in Camp this year and anxious to see who emerges and at what positions.

• guest123

The guy is tough. He can take a hit.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

We’ll see just how tough he really is. If he can take 50+ sacks and still bounce back, he will earn my “tough guy award”. I’ll send him the trophy in the mail, and throw in my Palmer 3 jersey as a bonus!

• The Big Banana

Theghostronin79 Says:
    May 20th, 2013 at 9:19 am

—–

When you’re forecasted to finish worst or at least compete for worst, all you have is intra squad competition to look forward to. So is the excitement over in September? Get your preseason tix while they’re hot!

Media has access today only

***

@tru

looking at the twitter accounts for Corkran, McDonald, Tafur & Gutierrez I don’t see this.

link? source?

• willy91137

tomorrow when they let the media in prior should be throwing the ball

and will see if the quarterback coach has helped him?????????????????????????

• The_Civilian_James_Trapp

Dakota Says:
    May 20th, 2013 at 8:44 am
    The_Judge37 Says:
    May 20th, 2013 at 8:40 am
    Didn’t we sign Usama Bin Youngen to play FS?
    ——-
    +++++++++

=============

I agree, I’m scared Woodson will take a “fu** it” approach to us.

• guest123

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wonder if the #Raiders will allow new banners out. “Clown for Clowney”, “Just Wince Baby!” and “2013 season is just a BRIDGEWATER ticket!”

if we don’t sign Charles Woodson or any other vet safety … who is Young’s “competition” for the starting FS job?

Reggie Smith & Shelton Johnson??

• guest123

I don’t know whether to laugh or cry at people waiting on baited breath for Defilipo to help any of our QB’s.

• willy91137

81 days ~pre-season game

• guest123

Still nobody has claimed the $590 million powerball ticket sold in a Publix store in Zephyrillis FL. I swear I have been to that store. Dernit! I wish I had that tix!

• theghostronin79

The Big Banana Says:
    May 20th, 2013 at 9:23 am
    Theghostronin79 Says:
    May 20th, 2013 at 9:19 am

—–

==========

I don’t care about all that “Projection” crap. We could have FUTURE leaders in this crop. Like I said before, last year is done with and I’m OVER complaining about it. As pissed as I’ve been at seasons ending in the past, I’m always excited to start the new season. That won’t change. If that DOES ever change, maybe I need to take a break from football.

• bcz24

****************
    If I won more than 1 million, I wouldn’t report it to anyone (not even family members) for a minimum of 30 days. The FIRST person I would tell would be my attorney.

• guest123

Not even the fam? that’s pretty harsh. I’d at least tell the wife.

@G123 #2290

John DeFilippo is 35 years old and he’s developed … umm … I guess we’re still waiting

he’s Knapp’s buddy (like Justin Griffith)

surprised these guys are still around!

funny that the two players Coach Flip failed to develop (Russell & Sanchez) are now being mentored by Jeff Garcia, lol

I hope we don’t hear about Terrelle paying a visit to Garcia anytime soon! Did he ever meet with Gannon?

• Thec

Guest123 Says:
    May 20th, 2013 at 8:59 am
    How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootise pop?

Owl says: One-two-crunch-three!

+++++++++==

The world may never know…

• hwnrdr

2294.bcz24 Says:
    May 20th, 2013 at 9:35 am
    ****************

Agreed!

• realtruraider

Steve Corkran ‏@CorkOnTheNFL 2m
    #Raiders OTA begins in about 10 minutes. All the veterans are expected to be here on the field. Stay tuned for Tweets and Twitpics.

• guest123

@ Rock,

I know you still expect/hope Pryor beats the odds and somehow by osmosis maybe learns the pro game. Do you think coach Flip helps or hurts his chances?