Woodson in the house, still meeting with Raiders

By Steve Corkran
Tuesday, May 21st, 2013 at 4:19 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Beat writer Jerry McDonald has been in Alameda monitoring the situation as defensive back Charles Woodson meets with the Raiders and contemplates whether to re-sign with the team that selected him in the 1998 NFL draft. No word yet on how this is going to turn out, but McDonald is doing his best to keep you informed. Here’s a link to his latest story:

• Relentless

dr_robert Says:
    May 21st, 2013 at 7:35 pm
    Kirk Says:
    May 21st, 2013 at 7:30 pm
    Seems like a lot of money for an older player.

Always liked him when he played for the Raiders.
    *********
    Funny that these days 4.3 million seems like a lot.

Times have changed.
    —–
    Ever since Al passed players make squat.

• ElkGRaider

Inonewordraider Says:
    May 21st, 2013 at 7:35 pm
    anyways enough of the negative schit on such a symbolic day, go raiders

did i hear herm edwards say “playoffs”
    ============

With you on that…

Feel like were gonna shock the world this fall…

• dr_robert

I think Woodson say there and thought “u know what? Fu€k the broncos!”

• ohioraider

redshirt Says:
    May 21st, 2013 at 6:56 pm

The Autumn Wind is a pirate,
    Blustering in from sea,
    With a rollocking song, he sweeps along,
    Swaggering boisterously.

His face is weather beaten.
    He wears a hooded sash,
    With a silver hat about his head,
    And a bristling black mustache.

He growls as he storms the country,
    A villain big and bold.
    And the trees all shake and quiver and quake,
    As he robs them of their gold.

The Autumn Wind is a raider,
    Pillaging just for fun.
    He’ll knock you ’round and upside down,
    And laugh when he’s conquered and won.

…too early?
    —————————————
    Now that old Al is dead
    And Autumn Wind rescued from the grave
    C Wood emerges from long exile
    To rouse the Pirate from slumbering daze

• Try Some Reality

Welcome back, C-Wood. Should generate some excitement amongst the fanbase, even if a bit heavy on nostalgia.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“666 surprised you don’t think reggie got caught with his pants down? i like the draft trade and cp trade better than this move #’s wise….”

Didn’t feel like going into it or rehashing old shlt when there is no telling what Woodson is actually worth. Certainly not as expensive as Richard Seymour and if he is productive it’s a good deal. Palmer would have played for 10 million and RM paid Flynn 6 just doesn’t make sense but whatever. I don’t feel like rehashing it

• RaiderFredinDallas

Great Signing by Reggie and the crew. Enough with the negative stuff.

Go Raiders….Raider Fan for Life!

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Since the season ended, we’ve gone from a secondary of Brandian Ross-Tyvon Branch-Chimdi Chekwa-Phillip Adams to a secondary of Charles Woodson-Tyvon Branch-DJ Hayden-Tracy Porter.

Well done, Reggie. Well done.

• dr_robert

Players are buying in.

Get with it Reggie/DA haters.

U may be missing out on something great.

Btw, if the players turn out the way I think they will, this draft may be one for the ages.

• Relentless

Silverandblack666 Says:
    May 21st, 2013 at 7:40 pm

—–
    For AZ not us. It would have been 15.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Josina Anderson ‏@JosinaAnderson 13m

Added detail: Carl Poston added Woodson’s deal “Has a base value of $1.8 million. Incentives take it to max of $4.3M,” as previously stated.

• SnBG

Chapel of the Chimes was founded in 1909 as a crematory and columbarium in Oakland, California. The present building dates largely from a 1928 redevelopment based on the designs of the architect Julia Morgan

• morilla

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    May 21st, 2013 at 7:42 pm
    Josina Anderson ‏@JosinaAnderson 13m

————————————————–

Not a bad deal at all.

• dr_robert

My personal nickname for Woodson since his Michigan days was “The Woodchuck”.

Sure u can figure out how I came up with it.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“if it’s straight up 4.3 million yes, but really depends on the terms mainly because dumervil abraham and freeney would have been better for us, in my opinion, than woodson for that amount”

Well from that perspective yeah!

Of course I would have rather had Dumervile or Freeny at that price.

• Stringer Bell

dr_robert Says:
    May 21st, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Players are buying in.

Get with it Reggie/DA haters.

U may be missing out on something great.

*********************************************
    No doubt, Reggie is changing the culture here. Time to build a winner.

• ESETERIK78

THIS IS THE S#!T!

• No Mas Diamante

The hardest thing Charles will have to do here is cover a tight end. We got this…

• inonewordraider

morilla Says:
    May 21st, 2013 at 7:43 pm
    Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    May 21st, 2013 at 7:42 pm
    Josina Anderson ‏@JosinaAnderson 13m

___________
    oh snap, sounds a lot better when you say that, nice job reggie

• WESTRAIDER

Give him his 24 and lets get movin

• J Hill

base salary 1 million with max value of 4.3 million.

He’ll have to earn the other 3.3 million.

Means damn good things for our D if we end up paying him the 4 million.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

SnBG I know you can read and I am not trying to start a “chat fight” but I didn’t say it was in Oakland I said it was close to Berkeley.

So YES you are right its physically in Oakland.
    And YES I am right too if you look at a map it’s very close to Berkeley or on teh Berkeley North side of Oakland. And since you are from here you should understand that Berkeley and Oakland connect.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

elraidmanhattan Says:
    Bring on the broncos, manning must have really turned him off.
    ===================================================

That would be fun, but I seriously doubt there’s an NFL player out there with any thing but respect for the guy.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

dr_robert Says:
    May 21st, 2013 at 7:39 pm
    I think Woodson say there and thought “u know what? Fu€k the broncos!”

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You mean because they didn’t offer him a job?

• ESETERIK78

People still think Reggie’s cheap? That no one wants to play for DA?

• SnBG
  • J Hill

Hmmmmm

Breer and Anderson have slightly different numbers.

800k not that big of a deal.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“For AZ not us. It would have been 15.”

And you know this because…..you are his agent or you trust some talking head that spouted it out one day….or help me here?

• http://cnsnews.com/ Simon

…did Rod Woodson lead the league in INTS one year after signing with the Raiders, at 37yo? His experience and leadership skills alone are worth this re-signing. I bet Hayden is doing back flips right about now!

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Yeah Baby! Happy Happy.

• RaiderfanNY

This is a nice, little move – a veteran player signing for one year to shore up a weak spot.

But I don’t get the fanfare. Woodson was a great player for Michigan and a great player for Green Bay — but he wasn’t a great player for us. He didn’t train and was often hurt. He gave up a million slants for first downs and was constantly flagged on long passes.

The way I look at it, Woodson owes us one great year (after all the money Al paid him). But I don’t know if he has it in him. I sure hope so.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

Thanks for your Map it proves my point “Berkeley is very close to Oakland.”

WOW this is news to you somehow though? I mean for others in here that are on the East Coast or seeing this for the first time it may be news but I thought you said you were from here?

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

ESETERIK78 Says:
    May 21st, 2013 at 7:49 pm
    People still think Reggie’s cheap? That no one wants to play for DA?

========================================

The Raider-haters like Hunter and Trapp need some time to lick their wounds and come up with a convincing-sounding cover story. They’ll be back.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Love to see Charles pop Manning pretty good this year.

• dr_robert

Silverandblack666 Says:
    May 21st, 2013 at 7:48 pm

********
    Chat Fight? More like a Cat Fight.

Zing!

• Relentless

Silverandblack666 Says:
    May 21st, 2013 at 7:49 pm
    “For AZ not us. It would have been 15.”

—–
    He himself said it.

• SnBG

Silverandblack666 Says:
    May 21st, 2013 at 7:48 pm

So YES you are right its physically in Oakland.
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Didn’t you say this?
    Silverandblack666 Says:
    May 21st, 2013 at 7:15 pm

• http://www.psalm23sportswear.com omniscience

Its like hiring a player /coach you know he has knowledge and good work ethic great for our young guys playing F.S all he has to do is roam and make plays. I`ll pay for that…

• dr_robert

RaiderfanNY Says:
    May 21st, 2013 at 7:50 pm

*******
    Four pro bowls.

• ohioraider

The Autumn Wind takes no prisoners
    Leaving chaos and havoc behind
    Fierce finds the one eyed Pirate without bounty
    For he’ll savage and batter in kind

• http://www.psalm23sportswear.com omniscience

how old is Ed Reed?

• ESETERIK78

Ed Reed is 34, four days younger than me it turns out.

• 0ak r8rs

This is significant. First of all, we didn’t overpay. 700k signing bonus w an incentive laden contract isn’t bad for a marquee (yet old) FA. But even more important is this. THERE IS NO FACKING WAY HE WOULD HAVE COME BACK TO AN AL DAVIS RAIDERS TEAM! He knows he isn’t going to the Super Bowl this year. And he’s not going next year either if he’s still around. But he obviously sees something on this franchise. He can sense it’s going in the right direction. Or at least I think so, don’t wanna presume to know what’s going on in his head. I know the fans may have made a difference. And I know he has businesses and friends in the area. But he’s been gone for 8 years. He wouldn’t come back of he didn’t see things changing for the better. He’s added legitimacy to this team and it’s direction.

Now I just hope he has a year or two left in the tank. For tonight tho? IDGF! This is FACKING awesome!

• PlunkforHOF

Great to see the excitement and lots of new names posting positive comments.

Go Raiders!

Code Black!

Welcome home CWood! What number will he want? Hmmm..

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

elraidmanhattan Says:
    Bring on the broncos, manning must have really turned him off.
    - – - – - – - – - –
    Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    - – - – - – - – - –
    KoolKell Says: Love to see Charles pop Manning pretty good this year.
    ====================================================

That’s the beauty of the NFL.

• Dakota

Simon Says:
    May 21st, 2013 at 7:49 pm

——

I don’t think so, but Ronnie Lott might have.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

Goodson = Seymour.

• ESETERIK78

he’ll be 35 by kickoff

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“My mother in law lives pretty close to Chapel of Chimes.

Just saying…not like I stalk his Sarcophagus don’t worry they have security in pace to prevent such things…..not that I know firsthand someone told me….”

I said this and…this:

didn’t you say this?
    Silverandblack666 Says:
    May 21st, 2013 at 7:15 pm
    When I go visit Al in his Sarcophagus in Berkeley this weekend I will report back to you all on how he feels about this move by Monday.”

And I misspoke so you WIN the “Chat Fight”

What I meant to say was when I go to Berkeley to visit my in-laws its easy for me to get to Chapel of Chimes I have done it I think it’s 2 or 3 miles.

So for me it’s close to Berkeley which is why I associate t=it as such.

Sorry I apologize

• ElkGRaider

RaiderfanNY Says:
    May 21st, 2013 at 7:50 pm

===========

Somehow I get the feeling bringing in AP to him would somehow be a negative…