Woodson rejoins Raiders after seven-year hiatus

Beat writer Jerry McDonald stuck it out in Alameda all day, certainly much longer than many of the fans that arrived early, and he was rewarded with word that defensive back Charles Woodson is coming back to the Raiders.
Here’s McDonald’s story:

Charles Woodson is coming home, signing a one-year deal to return to the Raiders on Tuesday.

The contract reportedly is for $4.3 million, including a $700,000 signing bonus.

Sitting in the passenger seat of a black Suburban inching slowly toward the security gate, Woodson smiled broadly as a crowd of more than 100 fans chanted his name.

Woodson left at about 7:20 p.m., about five hours after he arrived. He had the driver stop the car so he could sign autographs for fans, many of whom turned around and drove back to the facility once they heard the news.

“I’ve got to go, so I can’t get to you all. Don’t worry, I’ll be around,” Woodson said.

A free agent visit by Woodson to the place where he started his career became an impromptu Raider rally, with word spreading via social media.

Once past the gate, Woodson looked toward the building, raised both arms in the air then walked inside, followed by a Raiders camera chronicling the event.

Wearing a blue Michigan T-shirt and blue jeans, Woodson, 36, re-emerged from the building accompanied by Hall of Fame cornerback Willie Brown and walked to the fence to acknowledge the crowd. He held a child’s size No. 24 Raiders jersey with his name on it as fans chanted, “Come home Woodson, come home Woodson.”

A Raider fan known as “Dr. Death,” decked out in full costume, was delighted.

“Now that’s what I came to see,” he said.

Released by the Green Bay Packers, Woodson had found the market for his services soft, due to both his age and the fact that he has broken his right collarbone twice in the past three years.

Woodson was unavailable to the media, as were Raiders coaches and players, with the one-day window for this week’s organized team activity having taken place Monday.

Woodson reportedly had an offer from the Denver Broncos, which apparently was not enough to get him signed. The New York Giants are also said to be interested.

Woodson visited the 49ers early in free agency but received no contract offer.

Fans began assembling in the back lot of the Raiders facility as early as 9:30 a.m., with two security guards hired by the team coming 30 minutes later. He didn’t arrive until approximately 2:30, not that fans seemed to mind.

Antoine Johnson, who grew up in Oakland and attends Sacramento State, was wearing a University of Michigan No. 2 jersey with Woodson’s name on the back, the number he wore on his way to winning the Heisman Trophy.

Later, when Woodson went to the fence, he acknowledged Johnson, who then pulled back the sleeve of his right arm to display a tattoo that said, “True to me.” Johnson said he got it because Woodson has the same tattoo and Woodson is his favorite player.

Shine Nieto drove for more than three hours from the Tule River Indian Reservation in the Sierra Nevada foothills to be at the facility. He carried with him a white Woodson No. 24 jersey.

“I just wanted to be here to welcome him,” Nieto said. “It’s like when Marcus Allen came back to the Coliseum to light the torch. It’s a special moment. Part of history.

Raiders players who were leaving after their OTA practice found themselves driving slowly through a gauntlet of cheering fans.

Fullback Marcel Reece even stopped, emerged from his car and exchanged hugs and handshakes with fans. So did defensive end Jason Hunter, who signed as an unrestricted free agent.

Steve Corkran

• SnBG

Post 800. It’s just normal water.
    Dihydrogen monoxide
    In 1989 the term dihydrogen monoxide was invented, focusing on the negative effects of water. When we look at the term more closely, and create a chemical formula, we can see this simply concerns H2O, or normal water. However, as the abbreviation DHMO started winning terrain, it seemed not everybody saw this.

The supposed dangers of dihydrogen monoxide were numerous. Examples included contribution to soil erosion, corrosion, acid rain, and the greenhouse effect. Well, considering this is about water all claims are logical. Water is a component of acid rain, water vapour contributes to the natural greenhouse effect, water corrodes pipes because of its salinity, and so on. However, the ridicule did not stop there, because people that had invented the hoax also claimed it was bad for your health. Dihydrogen monoxide could cause tissue damage, inhalation could cause death, its gaseous form could cause burns, and it was stated to be highly addictive.

Some even stated DHMO was applied in animal research that was extremely cruel, that it contaminated lakes and rivers, and that it was a component of cancer causing compounds. Well, logically water is applied in animal testing, if only to hydrate the animals to keep them alive. It would be very illogical to call water a ‘pollutant of lakes and rivers’, as these Water Bodies would not exist without it. Water may not be present in cancer causing compounds, but it may aid the distribution through the body. This is only a consequence of its natural presence, as the human body consists of approximately 70% water. Would we be poisoning ourselves…?

Read more: http://www.lenntech.com/water-pseudoscience.htm#ixzz2U354Ce8Y

• Twinkle

Damn what’s up with golf.Tiger can’t hit for sh!t unless he’s in love and Sergio tag teaming up with Fuzzy about ethnic eating habits…..millionaire life must get boring
    I guess…..next thing you know they’ll accuse Vijay of juicing….oh wait

• Twinkle

DMAC…..c’mon dude you’re not a victim.You knew damn well that Highway 49 runs right past your front door when you moved in…lmao

• DMAC
  • SnBG

And DHMO. As do all those juices you guys are drinking.

Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO) is a colorless and odorless chemical compound, also referred to by some as Dihydrogen Oxide, Hydrogen Hydroxide, Hydronium Hydroxide, or simply Hydric acid. Its basis is the highly reactive hydroxyl radical, a species shown to mutate DNA, denature proteins, disrupt cell membranes, and chemically alter critical neurotransmitters. The atomic components of DHMO are found in a number of caustic, explosive and poisonous compounds such as Sulfuric Acid, Nitroglycerine and Ethyl Alcohol.
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Just another Urban legend.

• DutchRaider77

I’m a California Bear/Raider/A’s/Warrior

850.Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 11:49 am
    Twinkle Says:
    Eyesight is always the second thing to go.
    =====================================================

Yep. Three things go as you get older.
    Your memory, your eyesight, and… wait…it’ll come to me…

__________________________________________________

Maybe you could reach out to former Raider Luis Murphy to hook you up….

• raiderkoolaid

They say the memory is the second thing to go. I can’t recall what the first thing was.

• aig-raiders

Not a fan of VJ but he didnt juice. That Deer Antler Spray has been deemed not juicing by wolrd anti doping. You can’t juice if it’s legal and everyone can use it if they want. I dont like VJ but I think he has a legit reason to be pissed.

• Al_is_theraiders

jerry is the definition of “cream puff” he never asks any real questions…

• R8ER MIKE

May 22nd, 2013 at 11:40 am
    DMAC if you are referring to what we called shotguns whereby one puts the lit end in ones mouth and blows…
    then yes…still got the scars to prove it but otherwise no.lol

*****************
    more like a squeese bottle you put a joint in ..works kinda like what you are saying but ….

• aig-raiders

Paper print media is dying slowly by the day.
    ——————
    Yup. These guys can choose to evolve or die. Kinda like when the model T ford came around for transportation.

• McFaddens_Sneakers

Raiderkoolaid Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 11:55 am
    ——-
    It was called impotence until a little blue pill came along. so sight might actually be the first thing to go.

• aig-raiders

ike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo 1h

Tough one for the 49ers. Wide receiver Michael Crabtree has a torn Achilles suffered yesterday:
    ——————
    hahaha dont feel bad for this mofo at all.

• aig-raiders

————–
    the guys who invented this pill accidently should be given a medal of honor in every country and nobel prize.

• Twinkle

O….they aren’t actually…..well not unless you hit em as hard as those guys.I’ve never seen one glowing white hot like that one is.You put a piece of cotton cloth in cold water and wrap it around the small end…there is a
    bulge in em about 1/3rd the way down with a stone ball that traps everything but the smoke.You can pull on it for a minute or two and you’ll be exhaling the results for a good ten minutes but not as hard as those dudes were……that would kill a ordinary man….lol

• realtruraider

Dr.rob is Sergio Garcia?

• DutchRaider77

864.aig-raiders Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 12:01 pm
    ————–

__________________________________________________

Yeah, imagine if you were taking part in the drug testing/clinical study…it was a proposed heart medication right that had a unusual side effect?

• Al_is_theraiders

the reality of palmer….pft

”I see [Carson Palmer] sometimes on the sideline, coaching the receivers and talking to the offensive line,” defensive lineman Darnell Dockett said. ”What a big difference from that position last year. Right now I think he’s more respected and a lot of guys are willing to go that extra yard for him. He’s a tough quarterback and he’s going to hang in there for us.”

• Al_is_theraiders

unless you have donkey and shrek as your leaders…

• Twinkle

McFaddens_Sneakers Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 11:59 am

Raiderkoolaid Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 11:55 am
    ——-
    *************************************
    Wanna know how many deaths a year that little blue pill, that has old codgers doing what only young men should be,is responsible for?There are good reasons why ED exists,namely to prevent weak and sickly children and to keep undertakers from being overworked.

• inonewordraider

sergio’s and idiot, f him

• Dr_ robert

dr_robert Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 11:24 am
    Raider O Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 11:14 am

I don’t think S Garcia is racist. It was a stupid mistake, but he sounds sincere.
    —–
    Did he say he was just joking? Sorry Garcia, but when I say something racist and add just joking, I still get called a racist.
    If ur going to toss out the fried chicken comment, might as well add watermelon to round out the meal.
    ******
    Little ‘r’ I bet you will blame this comment on the pain killers or an imposter.
    FLYNNTASTIC (c)

• Twinkle

DutchRaider77 Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 12:04 pm

864.aig-raiders Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 12:01 pm
    ————–

__________________________________________________

*********************************************
    No it’s even funnier than that….the sh!t was supposed to grow hair on bald heads…..lmao.

• SnBG

869, boring, redondent , illogical with no substance and based in no fact’ and inflametory.
    Rotten Tomatoes says….. Thumbs down

• Dr_ robert

aig-raiders Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 12:01 pm
    ————–
    ——
    They are getting a salute everytime someone takes that pill.

Why didn’t this guy wait 4 months?

rumor was the Broncos & Vikings were both interested. plus you know a few starting LB’s might get injured in OTA’s , camp or preseason.

• ottocrat

So the Vegas over/under for Raider wins is at 4. I’ll take that bet any day. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think we’re going to set the NFL world on fire in ’13, but I think Tits McGee and Wreck-it Reggie can get us at least one more win this season.

• Dr_ robert

I admit the Doctor of cool takes that little blue pill. After all the stress of blogging and snitching to Cork. The meltdowns contribute to the impotence. The wifey (blow-up doll) gets smashed for a couple of hours.

• Just Fire Baby

can’t want a player to embrace the team, culture fans etc then rip him the day he leaves, you’re not exactly #1 raider fan

*********************************

Why not?

He ain’t embracing us anymore.

• Just Fire Baby

So the Vegas over/under for Raider wins is at 4

******************************

Wrong, it is 5.5

They talked about every team on the Herd yesterday with the Hilton future numbers.

• Twinkle

Al_is_theraiders Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 12:05 pm

the reality of palmer….pft

*******************************************
    ‘you don’t know what you got til it’s gone
    pave paradise and put up parking lot’

• Dr_ robert

Reggie should be on the phone with Abraham’s agent. We need a stop gap until we draft Clowney next year.

• Al_is_theraiders

lmao…5 wins…DA is getting better….

• Dr_ robert

Al_is_theraiders Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 12:05 pm

the reality of palmer….pft

*****
    It’s unfortunate that we let him go for a guy that should be converted into Wide receiver.

• Dr_ robert

On another note would like to thank all the fans that rallied for Woodson’s return. Glad my tax dollars are going to a good cause.

• Al_is_theraiders

even more so that never bynn flynn is shreks answer…

• Twinkle

R8ER MIKE never thought of that…would have saved me a few burned tongues.Plus it is nowhere near as macho.Can’t flinch when the embers drop and you are shotgunning the prettiest gal at the party.Ahh yep…
    youth is definitely wasted on the young.

• R8ER MIKE

lol Twinkle how sad but true !!!

• irjonny

Crabtree probably out for the season.

Just one more for my 9ers don’t make the playoffs prediction

@irjonny

Crabtree done for the season .. but they’ll get back Mario Manningham and they drafted Quinton Patton

Anquan Boldin isn’t a nobody either :P

• Twinkle

DMAC what is your take on the ‘dubs’ moving over the bridge?I’m beginning to dislike SF more and more these days.To me it would suck.

• new improved dr robert now cherry flavored

Well both the big R and the little r impostors are here.

Big R I jealous and mad that he keeps having to jump thru hoops after getting banned.

Little r impostor spouts racist and pro-niner tripe.

Little wannabe b1tches.

What man imitates another?

• dr_robert

Dr_ robert Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 12:09 pm

dr_robert Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 11:24 am
    Raider O Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 11:14 am

—–
    ******
    FLYNNTASTIC (c)
    My stalker is consistent, I will give u that.
    No, no reason to blame an imposter, my feelings, my words.
    But yeah, seen enough comments from priest and others who rush to post that it wasn’t them, is an imposter, when then get confronted on something they say.
    Why shouldn’t I?
    Kind of funny posting attacks, then cutting and pasting them, saying isn’t me, and I get a free pass.
    Only in America.
    Gotta take more meds. Pain is huge.

• dr_robert

new improved dr robert now cherry flavored Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Well both the big R and the little r impostors are here.

Little r impostor spouts racist and pro-niner tripe.

Little wannabe b1tches.

What man imitates another?

u tell me. u just imitated me, jagoff.

• dr_robert

irjonny Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Crabtree probably out for the season.

Just one more for my 9ers don’t make the playoffs prediction

u said that last year. they only got to the SB.

• Twinkle

RR can you believe the price the bastards got Boldin for?
    Obscene…..doubt he’ll be too happy for too long.

• new improved dr robert now cherry flavored

My impostors are little pathetic clowns reduced to meltdown talk and lame attacks.

Tiny little punks. Laughable.

• dr_robert

Dr_ robert Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 12:20 pm

big r? do u dream of me? do I make ur day? I must.

• Just Fire Baby

*************************

New owners bought the team knowing they will be leaving Oakland the first minute they can.

• new improved dr robert now cherry flavored

Dr_robert Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 12:34 pm
    new improved dr robert now cherry flavored Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Well both the big R and the little r impostors are here.

Little r impostor spouts racist and pro-niner tripe.

Little wannabe b1tches.

What man imitates another?

u tell me. u just imitated me, jagoff.
    *********