Woodson rejoins Raiders after seven-year hiatus

By Steve Corkran
Tuesday, May 21st, 2013 at 8:43 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Beat writer Jerry McDonald stuck it out in Alameda all day, certainly much longer than many of the fans that arrived early, and he was rewarded with word that defensive back Charles Woodson is coming back to the Raiders.
Here’s McDonald’s story:

Charles Woodson is coming home, signing a one-year deal to return to the Raiders on Tuesday.

The contract reportedly is for $4.3 million, including a $700,000 signing bonus.

Sitting in the passenger seat of a black Suburban inching slowly toward the security gate, Woodson smiled broadly as a crowd of more than 100 fans chanted his name.

Woodson left at about 7:20 p.m., about five hours after he arrived. He had the driver stop the car so he could sign autographs for fans, many of whom turned around and drove back to the facility once they heard the news.

“I’ve got to go, so I can’t get to you all. Don’t worry, I’ll be around,” Woodson said.

A free agent visit by Woodson to the place where he started his career became an impromptu Raider rally, with word spreading via social media.

Once past the gate, Woodson looked toward the building, raised both arms in the air then walked inside, followed by a Raiders camera chronicling the event.

Wearing a blue Michigan T-shirt and blue jeans, Woodson, 36, re-emerged from the building accompanied by Hall of Fame cornerback Willie Brown and walked to the fence to acknowledge the crowd. He held a child’s size No. 24 Raiders jersey with his name on it as fans chanted, “Come home Woodson, come home Woodson.”

A Raider fan known as “Dr. Death,” decked out in full costume, was delighted.

“Now that’s what I came to see,” he said.

Released by the Green Bay Packers, Woodson had found the market for his services soft, due to both his age and the fact that he has broken his right collarbone twice in the past three years.

Woodson was unavailable to the media, as were Raiders coaches and players, with the one-day window for this week’s organized team activity having taken place Monday.

Woodson reportedly had an offer from the Denver Broncos, which apparently was not enough to get him signed. The New York Giants are also said to be interested.

Woodson visited the 49ers early in free agency but received no contract offer.

Fans began assembling in the back lot of the Raiders facility as early as 9:30 a.m., with two security guards hired by the team coming 30 minutes later. He didn’t arrive until approximately 2:30, not that fans seemed to mind.

Antoine Johnson, who grew up in Oakland and attends Sacramento State, was wearing a University of Michigan No. 2 jersey with Woodson’s name on the back, the number he wore on his way to winning the Heisman Trophy.

Later, when Woodson went to the fence, he acknowledged Johnson, who then pulled back the sleeve of his right arm to display a tattoo that said, “True to me.” Johnson said he got it because Woodson has the same tattoo and Woodson is his favorite player.

Shine Nieto drove for more than three hours from the Tule River Indian Reservation in the Sierra Nevada foothills to be at the facility. He carried with him a white Woodson No. 24 jersey.

“I just wanted to be here to welcome him,” Nieto said. “It’s like when Marcus Allen came back to the Coliseum to light the torch. It’s a special moment. Part of history.

Raiders players who were leaving after their OTA practice found themselves driving slowly through a gauntlet of cheering fans.

Fullback Marcel Reece even stopped, emerged from his car and exchanged hugs and handshakes with fans. So did defensive end Jason Hunter, who signed as an unrestricted free agent.

• inonewordraider

Why not?

He ain’t embracing us anymore.
    ____________
    dvd still tweeting about us

raiders are dhb and guys like mike mitchell or louis murphys first love

too each his own though

• Al_is_theraiders

boldin is overated…craptree was slow before imagine now…lol

• new improved dr robert now cherry flavored Says

Hey, don’t know the little blue pill.
    I get them online. $99 for 30. Anyone got a better price, let me know.

• new improved dr robert now cherry flavored

Both dr Roberts are impostors.

Everyone knows it.

What pathetic creatures.

• Dr_ robert

Wow i have two new imposters. What a bunch of phags. Need to go tell Corky on you. Will have the same fate as Beeech.

can you believe the price the bastards got Boldin for?
    Obscene…..doubt he’ll be too happy for too long.

***

@Twinkle

according to Roto, he’s scheduled to make $6 million this year

this is his “contract year” , so if he plays well he can ensure one more big payday in his next (last) contract

• new improved dr robert now cherry flavored Says

#don’t knock, not don’t know

• DMAC

Twinkle Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 12:31 pm

DMAC what is your take on the ‘dubs’ moving over the bridge?I’m beginning to dislike SF more and more these days.To me it would suck.
    ======

I fk’n hate it, I’m not giving up hope.
    I’ll still support the team, but not sure I’ll go to SF. Never been to Candlestick/ATT. Don’t plan going there ever.
    Coliseum City is our best bet.
    Oakland needs to get something done!!!

• new improved dr robert now cherry flavored Says

u little imposters make me sick. just jealous because I’m a man and ur a toad.

• Dr_ robert

How funny wake up from taking my pain meds and have two dirtbags imitating me.

• new improved dr robert now cherry flavored Says

Don’t believe anything u read from any dr roberts. I’m the real deal, and my word is final.

• DMAC

I’m cool w/ any talk/chat thats goes on here w/ the exception of Whiner talk.
    FK them!!!
    Who cares about the Whiners?

• Just Fire Baby

too each his own though

**************************

Fair enough.

I root for the laundry, 90% of the people wearing it I am indifferent to one way or another.

• new improved dr robert now cherry flavored

Scientific fact: only impostor douches use the word jagoff.

The real dr (me) would never use that word.

What wastes if life u guys are.

• Dr_ robert

new improved dr robert now cherry flavored Says Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 12:40 pm
    u little imposters make me sick. just jealous because I’m a man and ur a toad.
    ***
    Hey buddy I’m cooler than watermelon flavored ice cream.

• new improved dr robert now cherry flavored Says

I do agree that Serg’s comments about fried chicken was pretty funny. I say that to my buds all the time, and they’re cool with it. than and grits always get a chuckle

new improved dr robert now cherry flavored Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Scientific fact: only impostor douches use the word jagoff.

The real dr (me) would never use that word.

What wastes if life u guys are.

I sound illiterate there. scratch that. u know wat I mean

• new improved dr robert now cherry flavored Says

Where is my boy mistic? Making a list of excuses why TP isn’t going to make the roster? Oh, I know, it’s because a brother never gets a fair shot, right Mistic?

• Twinkle

JFB I guess I still hate this sh!t.’the rich get richer the poor get the picture.’Still the A’s have been trying to walk for years but they’re still here every year fu@king up our football field….lol.
    The dubs new owners haven’t had to deal with the likes of
    San Francisco politics to date.They will be long dead before that ‘new stadium’ materializes if ever.

• new improved dr robert now cherry flavored

New Improved Dr Robert Now Cherry Flavored Says Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 12:41 pm
    *******
    Lol. Now he rushes to imitate me.

And these two pathetic idiots are putting themselves down in an effort to act like me.

Psych morons.

How do u type the truth about urselves and not wanna kill urself at the same time?

DMAC Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 12:41 pm

I’m cool w/ any talk/chat thats goes on here w/ the exception of Whiner talk.
    FK them!!!
    Who cares about the Whiners?

Well, they have a team that puts ours to shame. They have a new stadium, something we can’t seem to do, and they just got SB 50. Executive of the Year GM, Coach of the Year head coach. Other than that, pretty quiet I suppose.

I’m cool w/ any talk/chat thats goes on here w/ the exception of Whiner talk.

***

I’d rather talk non-raiders NFL football than weed or racist remarks made by a golfer

just one man’s preference

• new improved dr robert now cherry flavored Says

these meds are making me goofy as all get out. not sure what I was tryin to say there.

• new improved dr robert now cherry flavored

Wow. Obsessed little clowns.

RaiderRockstar Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 12:47 pm

I’m cool w/ any talk/chat thats goes on here w/ the exception of Whiner talk.

***

just one man’s preference

exactly. whiners trump smoothies. if u can’t handle the other team in the bay, shows how small u are.

• new improved dr robert now cherry flavored

New Improved Dr Robert Now Cherry Flavored Says Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 12:46 pm
    DMAC Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 12:41 pm

I’m cool w/ any talk/chat thats goes on here w/ the exception of Whiner talk.
    FK them!!!
    Who cares about the Whiners?

***********
    This is the pathetic wretch known as MR. Obviously. He’s also memorized and very upset about everything I’ve ever said. He is missdick as well.

• new improved dr robert now cherry flavored Says

Was going down the road one day, sitting in back seat, and driver hung a huge loogie out the window, and came straight back in, right on my forehead. I owe him still.

********
    Wait. I meant he’s missdick, not MR. The other R is MR.

• spiff

” i see [carson palmer] on the sideline after throwing a interception on the first play from scrimmage i see the coaches saying WTF “.

• new improved dr robert now cherry flavored Says

Cmon MR and mistic. Let’s meet up, and post it on facebook. That’s wat real men do. u up for it?

• new improved dr robert now cherry flavored

These morons think imitating me will frustrate me.

They’re obsessed with me.

Lol. Pathetic little trolls.

• Twinkle

DMAC Ditto…I lost all respect (had little to begin with) for their fair weather fans after their second SB.
    Was tending bar in Marin and these jerks had me almost
    poisoning their bloody drinks.We had good teams in the eighties and beat their arse almost every time we played and man did that ever stick in their craw….I’m with you….fu@k em.

• Just Fire Baby

The dubs new owners haven’t had to deal with the likes of

****************************

Don’t know about that, seems things are moving along.

My buddy works for a big engineering firm in SF, and his firm is already putting in place plans to bid on parts of the stadium project.

Of course, part of that “planning” does involve getting comy with city commissioners types.

• R8ER MIKE

ok this is some kind of bazaro world sh1t going on now….
    first the GreenParty Prez and the Vice Prez are going to stop smoking…..
    Hooters sells hot wings….
    and now we have 3 Dr.Roberts ?????
    when will this nightmare be over ????

• new improved dr robert now cherry flavored

These morons think imitating me will frustrate me.

They’re obsessed with me.

Lol. Pathetic little trolls. Very gay.

• Dr_ robert

new improved dr robert now cherry flavored Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 12:54 pm
    These morons think imitating me will frustrate me.

They’re obsessed with me.

Lol. Pathetic little trolls. Very gay.
    ***
    Very, very gay. Do you guys like how i added the Cherry part to my handle. Hoping to meet Jason Collins in a mens restroom for some foot action.

• DutchRaider77

@Twinkle

Probably worried about revealing your indentity..

Do you still tend Bar in Marin and where?

I live in the sticks, Lagunitas.

• Twinkle

RR man did I ever get that wrong….that’s their 3rd highest salary then….was under the impression he’d signed for a song.

• Dr_ robert

Update talked to Corky. He said he will banquish all these pathetic trolls.
    PLUG THEM UP CORK!!!

• irjonny

Dr_robert Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 12:34 pm
    irjonny Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Crabtree probably out for the season.

Just one more for my 9ers don’t make the playoffs prediction

u said that last year. they only got to the SB.
    ————-

Wait… what? Can you even find a post I made a year ago? Hold on….nevermind I’m actually scared that you might spend the time looking. I’ll just agree with you

• hwnrdr

Maybe JFB, but there are reports that the residents don’t want that arena there. Calling it an eye sore!

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

The 49ers suffered a major blow during OTAs, as wide receiver Michael Crabtree suffered what could be a season-ending injury.

According to Mike Garafolo of USA Today, Crabtree tore his Achilles during a workout Tuesday, and will need surgery to repair the injury.

While players such as Terrell Suggs and Da’Quan Bowers have come back in the same season from such injuries, those cases are rare.

The 25-year-old Crabtree emerged as a threat last year, with 85 catches for 1,105 yards and nine touchdowns, and an impressive postseason.

Without him, the 49ers offense doesn’t look nearly as potent.

They haven’t shown any interest in bringing back Randy Moss, and though they acquired Anquan Boldin in a trade with the Ravens, they now lack a proven downfield threat.
    —————————-
    Tough blow, let’s hope our players can make it through camp

• new improved dr robert now cherry flavored

Dr_ Robert Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 12:58 pm
    new improved dr robert now cherry flavored Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 12:54 pm
    These morons think imitating me will frustrate me.

They’re obsessed with me.

Lol. Pathetic little trolls. Very gay.
    ***
    ********

Lol. So u admit ur impostor crap is gay.

This is my finest hour. Two obsessive trolls memorizing and imitating me.

A testament to my greatness.

Never before seen.

I’m burned into their memories. They think of me all the time.

I am the great one.

• jesusraiderjim

Raider O Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 10:59 am
    LOL at you fat Monkeys. I’m on a diet too. No I’m not juicing, but I did lose 10 pounds in 1 week. I feel great too.
    ———————————————-

Let me guess you stayed at a Holiday Inn Xpress too!

• new improved dr robert now cherry flavored

Irjonny Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 1:03 pm
    Dr_robert Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 12:34 pm
    irjonny Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Crabtree probably out for the season.

Just one more for my 9ers don’t make the playoffs prediction

u said that last year. they only got to the SB.
    ————-

*******
    Lol. He will. It’s not the real doc. I am.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell
  • Twinkle

Dutch it was the Peso in Larkspur and no I live in Richmond nowadays.One extreme to the other I guess but don’t see any whiner colors around town unless someone from Marin took the wrong turn.My old lady would die to move out there.She rented in Lagunitas before we met but man it’s real hard to find something out there that you don’t need a mafia job to afford.You are lucky dude.

• Dr_ robert

new improved dr robert now cherry flavored Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 1:03 pm
    Dr_ Robert Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 12:58 pm
    new improved dr robert now cherry flavored Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 12:54 pm
    These morons think imitating me will frustrate me.

They’re obsessed with me.

Lol. Pathetic little trolls. Very gay.
    ***
    ********

Lol. So u admit ur impostor crap is gay.

This is my finest hour. Two obsessive trolls memorizing and imitating me.

A testament to my greatness.

Never before seen.

I’m burned into their memories. They think of me all the time.

I am the great one.
    ***
    I AGREE YOUR VERY VERY GAY!

• Just Fire Baby

*****************************

If there isn’t any public money involved (or much) and it doesn’t need to get a voter apporoved ballot measure approved………what can the residents do?

Picket? They certainly aren’t going to stop a billion dollar construction project.

• spiff

it’s gonna be funny when the networks will call woodson return to oakland a waste. but if horse teeth would have signed him, they would say this move ensures the bronco’s winning the superbowl. i would be bigger than urlacher’s retirement…… oakland stil the team everyone loves to hate.