Allen: Woodson brings a swagger

Got a few minutes with Raiders coach Dennis Allen Wednesday to get his reaction on the signing of Charles Woodson. Here’s a transcription:

Q: What does Charles Woodson bring to your team at this stage of his career?

Allen: I mean, I think there’s a lot of things. But when you really look at it and you get a chance to add a veteran presence in the defensive secondary, I think that’s something that was very exciting for us, very intriguing for us. But I think when you really look at it, here’s a guy that’s got 55 career interceptions. He’s run 11 of them back for touchdowns. The guy takes the ball away, and when he does, he scores points. So I think this is a guy that can come in and get the ball back for our offense and set us up in good position with a chance to score some points.

Q: His ball-stripping and all-around skills were evident during his first go-round with the Raiders, but he seemed to take things to another level in Green Bay in terms of being a leader. How appealing was that?

Allen: It was real appealing. Obviously, you’ve got the player, and you see the talent and the player, but when you combine that with the maturation process that he’s gone through, he’s a real pro. It was exciting for us because it was evident in visiting with him that he wanted to be a Raider. He wanted to be part of what we’re doing here, and bringing a guy in that wants to be here, and he has those attributes, leadership abilities. I thought it was a good fit.

Q: He’s one of the more charismatic guys I’ve covered in terms of giving off a vibe, did you feel that yesterday when he walked in the building?

Allen: Oh, absolutely. He’s a grown man. He has his ideals and his thought process and he’s not afraid to express his opinion and we sat down and had a great conversation together and I’m looking forward to getting a guy in here like that can bring that added dimension to the team.

Q: How comfortable are you with his health and the twice-broken collarbone? That all went past your doctors?

Allen: Yeah, we didn’t have any issue with hit. That was one of the things we wanted ot make sure of when we brought Charles in here. We wanted to make sure everything was fine and he was healthy, and from a medical standpoint we didn’t have any issue with it.

Q: I assume it’s going to be a little more quiet driving out of work today . . .

Allen: (laughs). I would imagine. I’ll tell you what, it was a great scene. That really says a lot about Raider Nation and the type of fan support that we have here and we’re trying to do everything we can do really get back to those winning ways and give these people that love this team, and love this organization, win lose or draw we wanted to give them something to be excited about and happy about, and I think Charles is a great addition in our movement that way.

Q: Would imagine the same thing goes with the team, a realization among the players that, `Wow, we just got Charles Woodson.’’ . . .

Allen: You want to play this game with a swagger, with a little bit of an air of confidence, not a cockiness but an air of confidence that you know you’re good, you’re going to be good. I think Charles, obviously, him individually, he’s got that swagger, but I think he can bring some of that to our football team _ not just defensively, but the whole team in general.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• R8ER MIKE

rediaR Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 1:42 pm
    Dr_ Robert Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 1:40 pm
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 1:38 pm
    FIRE REGGIE NOW.
    ***
    Why don’t you do us all a favor and go jump on the Broncos bandwagon.
    —————-
    Elway’s teeth take up all the room.

**********************
    lol.. with those teeth he can eat an apple through a chain link fence !!!

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

So I guess Charles is practicing today? Exciting. :-)

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Reggie is not done yet. VET PASS RUSHER UP NEXT . WATCH

• Dr_ robert

KoolKell Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 1:45 pm
    So I guess Charles is practicing today? Exciting.
    *****
    Yes Kell its wonderful.

• http://www.actionext.com/playlist_57486.html La Milicia Negra

Swagger? thats what Art Shell said we needed =) funny how it goes…

• The_Judge37

52.KoolKell Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 1:45 pm
    So I guess Charles is practicing today? Exciting.
    ——

Trace Armstrong

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Reggie is not done yet. VET PASS RUSHER UP NEXT . WATCH
    *********
    Andre carter.

——————-

NOPE.. DA said after the draft that Vet Pass Rusher is something that they would adress Carter was already on the team

• inonewordraider

good we have a good secondary, they’re gonna have to cover a long time with houston playin rde

• SR Raider

This story just makes me feel good. Welcome back Charles!

• 8RaiderReign8

What up DMAC?

Isn’t it nice to have quality free agents want to come to Oakland again?

• new improved dr robert now cherry flavored

I think they asked him about the pass rush and he said “we are still working on that.”
    And I think that was during the draft.

• The_Judge37

63.new improved dr robert now cherry flavored Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 1:52 pm
    And I think that was during the draft.
    —-

The 2012 draft.

• new improved dr robert now cherry flavored

We have five DEs. I suppose they could bring in another.

• SnBG

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 1:51 pm
    Reggie is not done yet. VET PASS RUSHER UP NEXT . WATCH
    *********
    Andre carter.

——————-

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Isreal Idoniji DE DT would be nice. Plays both.

• willy91137

I sure am glad we didn’t draft Gino Smith he hired some rapper in New York

for an agent I think if I was him and had to play in New York I would keep a very low profile

between the NFL network and the news media in New York they will eat you up

Mark Sanchez is in the news all the time

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Woodson, as he was being driven out of the facility by director football operations Joey Clinkscales, even stopped and got out of the SUV to sign some autographs.
    ======================================================

Always wondered what Joey actually did!

• Dr_ robert

new improved dr robert now cherry flavored Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 1:54 pm
    We have five DEs. I suppose they could bring in another.
    *****
    Has it been announced that Houston will be playing UT. Another great quote from the blog villager.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

The_Judge37 Says:

So I guess Charles is practicing today? Exciting.
    ——

Won’t practice till tomorrow, last night him and Seabass went bar hopping
    =====================================================

With Joey Clinkscales driving.

• Dr_ robert

willy91137 Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 1:56 pm
    I sure am glad we didn’t draft Gino Smith he hired some rapper in New York

between the NFL network and the news media in New York they will eat you up

Mark Sanchez is in the news all the time
    ****
    Great take Willy have you ever thought of becoming a Philosopher???

• willy91137

Director of football operations I guess that means you are a gofor

I am director of football operations good’ now go get me a couple coffee

• freezetag168

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 1:38 pm

FIRE REGGIE NOW.
    **************************************

• SnBG

Bon Jour Purvi

• The_Judge37

70.Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 1:58 pm
    The_Judge37 Says:

So I guess Charles is practicing today? Exciting.
    ——

Won’t practice till tomorrow, last night him and Seabass went bar hopping
    =====================================================

With Joey Clinkscales driving.
    ——

Sucks for him, we know what happened the last time when Condo drove.

• willy91137

NO Dr. Roberts I have not but have you ever thought about getting a life

• freezetag168

Truth be told had anyone told me Huff was going to be replaced by C Wood when Huffy was released, I’d wonder how much you were smokin.

• Dr_ robert

willy91137 Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 2:02 pm
    NO Dr. Roberts I have not but have you ever thought about getting a life
    ***
    I do have a life, a wife and two kids. Plus two vwry awesomw Golden Retrievers who occasionally schit the carpet. But it happens.

• willy91137

I wonder if Woodson will bring his wife and family out here

we might have to go hunting for Woodson and Sea bass on game day

they might still be partying

• Dr_ robert

very awesome…

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

Who else said we need C Woods swag?

Oh ya that was me, who else would have said it? Not you fkn meatballs, eating my dust for 3+ years.
    ______

MistaBrown Says:
    May 20th, 2013 at 5:32 pm

I dont care if Wood only has year left in him we need his swag on the field, badly!

• inonewordraider

MistaBrown Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 2:09 pm
    Who else said we need C Woods swag?

______

MistaBrown Says:
    May 20th, 2013 at 5:32 pm

________
    you and DA are in lockstep

• new improved dr robert now cherry flavored

May 22nd, 2013 at 2:02 pm
    NO Dr. Roberts I have not but have you ever thought about getting a life
    ***
    ********
    I do?
    ***
    Yes I do. Hows the hip Bud?

• new improved dr robert now cherry flavored

Dr_ Robert Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 2:06 pm
    willy91137 Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 2:02 pm
    NO Dr. Roberts I have not but have you ever thought about getting a life
    ***
    ********
    Interesting. Where do u get ur info?

• willy91137

Dr. Roberts yes and I’m driving and the Indianapolis 500 Sunday

• Moose

Immortality is there..its your`s…….take it!!!

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Woodson has a winery around here?

Woodson has a winery around here?

***

@Kell

you would know!

• realtruraider

No Kell, its in wine country, Napa valley, no where near around here smh

• new improved dr robert now cherry flavored

Where do they grow the grapes for mad dog?

• HGDaddy

Levi Damien ‏@LeviDamien

McGloin impresses #Raiders, Padron waived http://sbn.to/Z0AStg

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

MistaBrown Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Who else said we need C Woods swag?

=========================================

You mean the way you were right about the election and the Romney landslide? Or when you predicted your Cleveland Browns were going to win their division, or when you thought Luke Walton was our fullback, or…..

• inonewordraider
  • The_Judge37

91.new improved dr robert now cherry flavored Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 2:23 pm
    Where do they grow the grapes for mad dog?
    ——-

Inglewood

• Relentless

Our D is gonna be good this year, I wish I could say the same about our Offense.

• inonewordraider

bass is the hope at rde

interesing that sio starting while burris rehabbing so one of them will start burnett or maiava at the other side

bilikudi playing ut, mcgee nt

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Bergstrom between Veldheer and Wiz, should help him out a lot.

• Godeep

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 1:38 pm

FIRE REGGIE NOW.
    ——————————————————————–
    Oh shut up Dr Hunter!!! Reggie is doing what it takes to rebuild a team!!! Quit complaining!!! It is getting so OLD!!!

• The_Judge37

How will Tarver use Woodson this year, Traditional FS or Rover like in GB?

My guess, Taver will somehow use him Improperly.