Allen: Woodson brings a swagger

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Wednesday, May 22nd, 2013 at 1:17 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Got a few minutes with Raiders coach Dennis Allen Wednesday to get his reaction on the signing of Charles Woodson. Here’s a transcription:

Q: What does Charles Woodson bring to your team at this stage of his career?

Allen: I mean, I think there’s a lot of things. But when you really look at it and you get a chance to add a veteran presence in the defensive secondary, I think that’s something that was very exciting for us, very intriguing for us. But I think when you really look at it, here’s a guy that’s got 55 career interceptions. He’s run 11 of them back for touchdowns. The guy takes the ball away, and when he does, he scores points. So I think this is a guy that can come in and get the ball back for our offense and set us up in good position with a chance to score some points.

Q: His ball-stripping and all-around skills were evident during his first go-round with the Raiders, but he seemed to take things to another level in Green Bay in terms of being a leader. How appealing was that?

Allen: It was real appealing. Obviously, you’ve got the player, and you see the talent and the player, but when you combine that with the maturation process that he’s gone through, he’s a real pro. It was exciting for us because it was evident in visiting with him that he wanted to be a Raider. He wanted to be part of what we’re doing here, and bringing a guy in that wants to be here, and he has those attributes, leadership abilities. I thought it was a good fit.

Q: He’s one of the more charismatic guys I’ve covered in terms of giving off a vibe, did you feel that yesterday when he walked in the building?

Allen: Oh, absolutely. He’s a grown man. He has his ideals and his thought process and he’s not afraid to express his opinion and we sat down and had a great conversation together and I’m looking forward to getting a guy in here like that can bring that added dimension to the team.

Q: How comfortable are you with his health and the twice-broken collarbone? That all went past your doctors?

Allen: Yeah, we didn’t have any issue with hit. That was one of the things we wanted ot make sure of when we brought Charles in here. We wanted to make sure everything was fine and he was healthy, and from a medical standpoint we didn’t have any issue with it.

Q: I assume it’s going to be a little more quiet driving out of work today . . .

Allen: (laughs). I would imagine. I’ll tell you what, it was a great scene. That really says a lot about Raider Nation and the type of fan support that we have here and we’re trying to do everything we can do really get back to those winning ways and give these people that love this team, and love this organization, win lose or draw we wanted to give them something to be excited about and happy about, and I think Charles is a great addition in our movement that way.

Q: Would imagine the same thing goes with the team, a realization among the players that, `Wow, we just got Charles Woodson.’’ . . .

Allen: You want to play this game with a swagger, with a little bit of an air of confidence, not a cockiness but an air of confidence that you know you’re good, you’re going to be good. I think Charles, obviously, him individually, he’s got that swagger, but I think he can bring some of that to our football team _ not just defensively, but the whole team in general.

• Just Fire Baby

Where did that depth chart of the OTA’s come from? Is that from the website?

They had Taiwan Jones as like the 10th CB.

He was behind some guy I never heard of.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Sounds like the LB’s they acquired are good is pass coverage, no? Zone Drop guys.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

The_Judge37 Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Seymour Bush Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:17 pm
    The_Judge37 Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:12 pm

In Pryor’s defense, he had a lot of good passes dropped by usually reliable receivers.
    ==============================================

He also had two or three dropped by San Diego defenders
    ——

That’s because they couldn’t handle the Zip on it.
    ===========================================

Pryor doesn’t throw with “zip”. Pryor throws rainbow lobs which is fine in high school and college. In the pro’s where DB’s routinely run 4.3 forties that is not going to fly. The reason those db’s dropped the passes is because they were so shocked someone was giving them a gift.

• Dr_ robert

dr_robert Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:10 pm
    47% is a bad performance for anyone. and he throws a ridiculously bad pass.

the td to dhb was thrown into tight coverage and dhb bailed him out.

don’t u guys want a good qb?
    ****
    Yep.

• inonewordraider

Just Fire Baby Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:31 pm
    Where did that depth chart of the OTA’s come from? Is that from the website?

They had Taiwan Jones as like the 10th CB.

He was behind some guy I never heard of.
    ____________
    levi damien, raider blogger

• Football Coach

The_Judge37 Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:26 pm

144.Football Coach Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:23 pm
    But welcome back C Wood!

Raiders should run a 3-4 or 3-3-5 base. 4-3 makes no sense with their weak DL. Their DBs and LBs are much better. Get your best 11 on the field on D!

That would require some adaptation and creativity. Dennis Allen only knows how to teach what he barely knows

*****************************************

I believe he ran 3-4 in Denver his year there as DC, so I don’t get how he could not run a 3-4.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Pryor throws with Zip or Touch whatever the situation calls for.

• Relentless

Seymour Bush Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:34 pm
    The_Judge37 Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Seymour Bush Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:17 pm
    The_Judge37 Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:12 pm

==============================================

He also had two or three dropped by San Diego defenders
    ——

That’s because they couldn’t handle the Zip on it.
    ===========================================

—–
    When I get gifts “lobbed” at me, I don’t drop it multiple times. That’s like saying I catch fastballs easily but drop underhand tosses….

• Just Fire Baby

Didn’t DA and/or Tarver say they only opened a portion of their playbook, due to the dunces we had on D?

Expect some pretty creative looks moving forward.

They may not work that well, but we won’t be on the “base” 4-3 for anywhere near half the plays.

• The Florida Pete

the key ingredient to success will be dumping that useless turd, Denise Allen…

until that’s done… everything else is just crap…

oh, and reggie is still like 20 players short…

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

===========================================

You don’t have seventy five thousand people screaming at you either.

• PlunkforHOF

909RaiderLifer Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:17 pm
    I know. It’s so sad to have a city landmark beaten batteredand bruised off the freeway.
    “““““““““““““““““““““““““““`
    Got to admit it was an eyesore. But, it had “character”

Nastiest tasting beer, ever….period…

**********************************

I remember it was 99 cents for a six-pack when I was a kid.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

KoolKell Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Pryor throws with Zip or Touch whatever the situation calls for.
    =========================================

True. When he needs to lob it, he fires it at the receivers feet. When he needs to zip it, he lobs it.

• The_Judge37

156.Football Coach Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:37 pm
    The_Judge37 Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:26 pm

144.Football Coach Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:23 pm
    But welcome back C Wood!

*****************************************

Well that’s because Dennis Allen is a terrible coach. That’s why he cannot run a 3-4. And I’m pretty sure Denver ran a 4-3 while he was there for that one mediocre year.

• The_Judge37

161.Seymour Bush Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:39 pm
    ===========================================

You don’t have seventy five thousand people screaming at you either.
    —–

Neither do the Chargers.

• Just Fire Baby

whatever the situation calls for.

*********************************

LOL

Pretty lofty praise there don’t you think?

The guy hasn’t even thrown 50 NFL passes yet. He, just like every other QB with 1 career start, don’t even know what some situations even call for yet.

• DaTruth91

2 points about the Raiders acquiring Woodson

1. As much as the analyst want to break it down and say it was about money, it really wasent the factor in him choosing OAK over DEN. He would be scheduled to make approx $600,000 more with the raiders, if he reached all his incentives. ( which wont happen) Some of these include int, tackles probowl appearances ect.

2. Reggie is the real deal. The defense as a whole is alot better than last years and is deeper than last years, as a fraction of the cost. Reggie has been able to target players and bring them in. And if you notice, once they visit oakland and hear his speech, they are buying in.

Welcome home Charles…I knew would never choose those broncos over the Nation

• dr_robert

Football Coach Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:22 pm
    If they play Houston at 4-3 DE all year, I will be pissed!

***********

like his whole career?

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Just Fire Baby Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:41 pm
    whatever the situation calls for.

*********************************

LOL

Pretty lofty praise there don’t you think?

———————————-
    The game I saw, he threw what was necessary, Zip or Touch.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

The_Judge37 Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:41 pm

161.Seymour Bush Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:39 pm
    ===========================================

You don’t have seventy five thousand people screaming at you either.
    —–

Neither do the Chargers.
    ==========================================

Oh the Dischargers had 75,000 people screaming at them. It’s just half of them were Raider fans.

• Relentless

Seymour Bush Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:39 pm
    ===========================================

You don’t have seventy five thousand people screaming at you either.
    —–
    No I don’t but he’s been in that situation many times before. I don’t think it bothers him. There were more college fans than Raider fans in the stands anyways.

• dr_robert

KoolKell Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:37 pm
    Pryor throws with Zip or Touch whatever the situation calls for.

************

he throws them equally bad.

• SnBG

The_Judge37 Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:31 pm
    146.inonewordraider Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:26 pm
    Football Coach Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:23 pm
    But welcome back C Wood!

_____________
    good point, another case of square peg round hole? zbs part II?

Agreed, but there’s no choice. Put them in a 3-4, and you got most of the guys who only have 4-3 experience. It’ll be a case of round peg, square hole.
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Several of the defenders have played some in the 34 also so I think they could handle playing the 34. The strength appears to be the LB’S and now the secondary. Why not play to strength. Carter is older and better suited now at OLB.

• dr_robert

KoolKell Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:43 pm
    Just Fire Baby Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:41 pm
    whatever the situation calls for.

*********************************

LOL

Pretty lofty praise there don’t you think?

———————————-
    The game I saw, he threw what was necessary, Zip or Touch.
    *********

pryor knows he’s a poor passer. why don’t u?

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

=========================================

Allen is not a terrible coach and Allen can run whatever defense he wants to run. John Fox is an even front guy which is why they are running that in Denver. He ran the same thing in Carolina and ran the same defense when he was here.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Relentless Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Seymour Bush Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:39 pm
    ===========================================

You don’t have seventy five thousand people screaming at you either.
    —–
    =============================================

We were talking about the defenders not Pryor.

• dr_robert

DA is not showing his hand. but look at the roster. it’s built for 3-4.

• DJ Johnny

The_Judge37 Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 1:49 pm
    57.new improved dr robert now cherry flavored Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 1:48 pm
    RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 1:46 pm
    Reggie is not done yet. VET PASS RUSHER UP NEXT . WATCH
    *********
    Andre carter.

Trace Armstrong

LaTravanious Feinberg. Nice kid.

• Just Fire Baby

I think we are going to here that Lamarr Houston IS a better UT and should be playing there, until he is a 31 year old, 8 year veteran defensive end.

• dr_robert

Just Fire Baby Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:49 pm

**************

lol. those stupid pros don’t know what they’re doing.

• dr_robert

Just Fire Baby Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:49 pm

**************’

i hope we aren’t still talking about pryor as a wr that long.

• Relentless

Seymour Bush Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:47 pm
    Relentless Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Seymour Bush Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:39 pm
    ===========================================

You don’t have seventy five thousand people screaming at you either.
    —–
    =============================================

We were talking about the defenders not Pryor.
    —–
    Really? All the vets on their squad?

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

lol. those stupid pros don’t know what they’re doing.
    ============================================

Exactly. W did they trade for Matt Flynn and draft Tyler Wilson? We have Terrell “The New Elway” Pryor on the bench languishing…..

• Kamikaze_Sensei

I just don’t understand how this argument over Pryor keeps coming back. He had one game that he did decent in (still lost, but that’s more the Defense than anything else). What I notice is that even on his completions, he didn’t look that polished, and gave off the feeling that he was more playing backyard football rather than NFL football. I dunno, he can compete, and perhaps he can improve himself past Flynn and Wilson, but I don’t think he has it in him to outplay both of them.

• SnBG

Allen is known for his aggressive “bend but don’t break” defensive play calling that gives up a lot of yards, but also forces many sacks and turnovers. In 2009 in New Orleans, the Saints ranked 3rd in interceptions despite giving up 321 yards per game. Allen’s Broncos were in the bottom half of yards allowed, ranked 23rd, but were 5th in the league in sacks.

I think Allen knows what he’s doing

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Seymour Bush Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:53 pm
    lol. those stupid pros don’t know what they’re doing.
    ============================================

————————–
    Silly, as if they’d come to camp with 1 QB.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Relentless Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Seymour Bush Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:47 pm
    Relentless Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Seymour Bush Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:39 pm
    ===========================================

You don’t have seventy five thousand people screaming at you either.
    —–
    =============================================

We were talking about the defenders not Pryor.
    —–
    Really? All the vets on their squad?
    ==========================================

They had Corey Lynch and Mike Harris starting in that game. Not quite the vet squad…

• Dr_ robert

SnBG Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:55 pm

I think Allen knows what he’s doing
    ***
    Have to agree with you McFadden20

• Just Fire Baby

I have always said that TP will have a Bruce Gradkowski-esque NFL career (although TP as of now has some catching up to do).

The fan favorite, super hard-working, high character backup, who has some panache to him and may be able to run around and make some things happen for a half or even a week or two.

But eventually, reality sets in, and you have to consistantly convert 3rd and 9′s on the road, and noodle-armed floaters over the middle can’t get it done.

Best of luck TP, I hope you prove me wrong.

• Relentless

Kamikaze_Sensei Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:55 pm
    —–
    D let him down and anyone playing Knapp’s style looks like backyard football. It looked the same in Sea Hou and here. That’s why. Carson hadn’t made a TD in 3 games and Pryor made 3 in one game. Enough explanation?

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Kamikaze_Sensei Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:55 pm

===============================================

Let me explain something. There is absolutely not one, NOT ONE coach in either the Pro or college ranks that is going to stay up 18 hours a day 360 days a year, so his Q can go out there and play “street ball”.

• SnBG

Kamikaze_Sensei Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:55 pm
    ””””””””””””’
    Disagree, Pryor made several great throws. He was able to throw running both left and right. He got the ball out quickly many times. His pass % would have been higher if the receivers had caught all the balls throw to them. He showed a lot of poise on the run and when he did try to run for first downs he was decisive about doing it.

• Kamikaze_Sensei

I’m not trying to argue that he’s bad, so much as arguing that there’s nothing to say that he is definitively better than our other two options. It’s impossible to speculate on Wilson with any sort of definition, but I think that Flynn, in his two games, has shown that he can operate an offense and score. Say what you will about his receivers, but if I recall, there wasn’t much of a run game in GB. Not to mention rookie quarterbacks have been known to mess such things up.

• SnBG

Dr_ Robert Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:57 pm
    SnBG Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:55 pm

I think Allen knows what he’s doing
    ***
    Have to agree with you McFadden20
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Thank you Doctors, all of you.

• McFaddens_Sneakers

I think the pressure is on reggie and DA to get this team ready for Super Bowl L, two more drafts and a better salary cap situation should help.

• xraided

Just Fire Baby Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:57 pm

But eventually, reality sets in, and you have to consistantly convert 3rd and 9’s on the road, and noodle-armed floaters over the middle can’t get it done.

Best of luck TP, I hope you prove me wrong.

__________

good comparison

although his wheels are spectacular. he can escape pressure a lot. i hope he can find receivers down field while on the run… wobblers or not. if he is moving the chains… then that’s fine by me.

it’s just not going to happen that way. he’s got too far to go IMO

• xraided

NFL = Not For Long

and pryor’s time is running out to be a traditional NFL QB.

• SnBG

Flynn threw an interception every 28 passes.

• spiff

if he stops throwing the wobblers he’ll bejust fine.

• SnBG

good comparison

it’s just not going to happen that way. he’s got too far to go IMO
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Wilson throws wobblers also. Has small hands and gets hurt,,,, head injuries,,,, because he doesn’t know when to get out of the pocket. He’s also inconsistent in his long balls. Pryor is good at the long ball and has shown enough touch to drop a ball between a LB and a safety.