Charles Woodson Q&A

A transcript of Charles Woodson’s conference call with the Bay Area media Wednesday, a day after he signed with the Raiders:

Q: As you were making the trip, had you gotten wind of the fan support you were going to receive?

Woodson: Yeah, I had gotten word that they were going to do it. I didn’t know if it was a fact that it was going to be done, but I got word it was going to happen.

Q: Your impression of driving in and the whole experience?

Woodson: I’ll tell you, man, it was overwhelming. I think that if at any time I’d ever forgotten what the love was like in Oakland, I was definitely reminded yesterday.

Q: What factor would you say the fan gathering played a part in signing back with the Raiders?

Woodson: Oh, I think it played a big part. I think I was actually scared of leaving the facility and not having a deal done. I don’t know if I would have made it out of there. But that was a big deal, and receiving that kind of welcome, it definitely put me in a mindset that it would be a good decision to make it happen.

Q: You’d talked about playing for a contender, Raiders coming off four-win season, what attracted you to come to Oakland after talking to other teams, including Denver?

Woodson: Well, that was definitely my sentiment going into free agency that I wanted to go and finish up somewhere that was on the verge. Certainly, a couple of teams that brought me in, San Francisco and Denver, obviously two teams that have that chance. Those two places didn’t work out. Just as the process kind of rolled on, I knew I wanted to play football, regardless of really where I played. At that point I had to figure out what I wanted to do, and playing football was what I wanted to do so it was going to be somewhere, if it was a team that wasn’t quite there but still is a team that is looking on the up, then I was going to do it. And I feel that the Raiders are a team that are looking on the up.

Q: Did the Raiders have to sell you on the idea that they were up and coming, or since you had a background with Reggie McKenzie, what role did that play?

Woodson: that definitely played a role because we’re familiar with each other. But after talking to Reggie, I got a good feel about how he felt about the team and that just really gave me confidence that they’re going in the right direction. Going into the facility yesterday, I felt good about where things stood, and if I signed I was going to be going to a team that has good players on the team. The game is about fundamentals and playing good football, and they have some good players, and if we can put it together then we’ll win games.

Q: Was signing here a vote of confidence playing with Matt Flynn who you played with in Green Bay?

Woodson: I think the vote of confidence comes from the coaching staff. They brought him in here, Reggie brought him in here feeling that he was gonna be a big piece. My concern is playing on the defensive side. The offense will take care of itself, but I want to be a part of a defense that’s gonna be a dominant defense, a defense that keeps us in games, and so I’m excited about that aspect of it and getting with a bunch of guys that are ready to fly to the football.

Q: You have always been known as a sure tackler, what do you bring to the Raiders?

Woodson: You know what, I’m just gonna bring the intensity. I’m a football player so I’m gonna bring a lot of intensity, somebody that’s passionate about the game, and a guy that knows how to make plays. That’s what I’m going to bring. I think when guys watch me play, I think that raises the level of other guys because of the way I play the game. I’m gonna bring that mindset, that mentality to the game, the same as I always have and have fun doing it.

Q: In 2002, Rod Woodson came in at about the same age you are now, and had one of his best seasons. Do you have that kind of season in you?

Woodson: I plan on it happening. I wouldn’t be out there trying to continue to play if I didn’t think it was going to happen. I would have just retired if I thought I couldn’t go out there and be the best player on the field. I’m going in there with the mindset that i’m going to be the best player on the field. That’s how I feel.

Q: Is the collarbone healthy?

Woodson: Collarbone is great.

Q: What position will you play, are you a safety now?

Woodson: Right now it probably will be the same it was last year, come in and play the safety role. I know they have guys they brought in at the corner position Jenkins, Porter and the young kid Hayden. Their corner position looks to be pretty solidified. I’ll play my role at the back end and roam around the field and make plays.

Q: Have you talked to Tracy Porter about No. 24?

Woodson: No we’ll definitely have to have that conversation. We haven’t had it yet. Raider Nation has me back but I don’t know if they’ll have me back without the 24 on my back.

Q: What role did wine business in Napa have in your decision?

Woodson: Zero. This was all about football. It was all about continuing my football career and having an opportunity to go out there and help the team win. That’s the bottom line for me.

Q: Do you have more of a role as a mentor at this point in your career?

Woodson: I’ll do my part. I try to not to step on any coaches toes as far as what I’m telling the young guys or whjat I’m trying to give them. I told guys to ask questions and I’ll always be there to answer those questions. Whatever I can do, whatever input I can give those guys that’s definitely what I will do. If I could be a help to them and it will help us win ultimately I have to do it.

Q: Only Janikowski still around from your first time here, did you recognize a lot of other people in the building?

Woodson: Seabass is the only player but there were plenty of people that I still knew _ equipment guys, film guys, Willie Brown of course. It was great. It had been a while since I had seen Willie Brown. He is one of my favorite people ever. It was great to see him and give him a big hug. We always joke about who the real 24 is. It was good to have that back and forth with him. Getting the deal done and calling him and saying, ‘Willie Brown, I’m coming back. The real 2-4 is coming back.’ It felt good to be in that building. It felt good.

Q: Was there any talk about a role after playing days?

Woodson: I haven’t thought about that. I haven’t discussed that with anybody. Right now I’m just focused on learning what I need to learn as far as different terminology and understanding defense and the way it’s played and getting in and helping this team develop.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• new improved dr robert now cherry flavored

KoolKell Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:34 pm
    Little QB’s get slapped around and fumble.
    *********
    Just ask drew brees

• new improved dr robert now cherry flavored

May 22nd, 2013 at 4:35 pm
    Well Palmer is the #19 ranked QB in NFL history. Look it up.
    ********
    Ur kinda like my parrot

• SnBG

Just want you to know Dr_ Robert Says. I like your humor better than the phonies that are impersonating you. Keep fighting the good fight.

• Relentless

SnBG Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:33 pm
    Just Fire Baby Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:25 pm
    I don’t know about “great” throws on the run.

I would actually say they were better reads than runs. Seemed like he found the open man or single coverage most of the time.
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    While on the run
    —–
    As long as it’s done. Almost like ben rapistburger.

• Dr_ robert

new improved dr robert now cherry flavored Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:35 pm
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:35 pm
    Well Palmer is the #19 ranked QB in NFL history. Look it up.
    ********
    Ur kinda like my parrot
    ***
    More like your memory bank

• new improved dr robert now cherry flavored

May 22nd, 2013 at 4:31 pm
    new improved dr robert now cherry flavored
    By the way little ‘r’ are you changing handles now. I thought you were better than that
    *********
    I am better.

I’m new and improved. Now cherry flavored.

It’s on the box!

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

I think there were ZERO sacks on TP also in that game.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Just Fire Baby Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:49 pm
    I think we are going to here that Lamarr Houston IS a better UT and should be playing there, until he is a 31 year old, 8 year veteran defensive end.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That’s because HCs and GMs don’t make mistakes.
    Hiring knapp was a mistake, but some fans thought he will help us score 30+ points/ game.
    Playing Brayton at OLB was a mistake too, and he did better when he went to the panthers to play his natural position LDE.

• Dr_ robert

SnBG Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:36 pm
    ***
    Thank you kind sir… Will do mcf…20 ;-)

• new improved dr robert now cherry flavored

May 22nd, 2013 at 4:36 pm
    new improved dr robert now cherry flavored Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:35 pm
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:35 pm
    Well Palmer is the #19 ranked QB in NFL history. Look it up.
    ********
    Ur kinda like my parrot
    ***
    More like your memory bank
    *********
    And that’s better to u?

• SnBG

If anything, the OC will be working with the Starting QB, and not really on anything fundamental. DeFilppo is the guy in charge of developing Wilson and Pryor, and that’s where we’re really FK’d
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    I bet you say that about all the coaches. Big boy.

• new improved dr robert now cherry flavored

SnBG Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:36 pm
    **********
    I’m the original. Not big R.

• Dr_ robert

new improved dr robert now cherry flavored Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:37 pm
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:36 pm
    new improved dr robert now cherry flavored Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:35 pm
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:35 pm
    Well Palmer is the #19 ranked QB in NFL history. Look it up.
    ********
    Ur kinda like my parrot
    ***
    More like your memory bank
    *********
    And that’s better to u?

huh? Keep grinding little ‘r’. They will soon change this blog to the Dr_ Robert Show…

• new improved dr robert now cherry flavored

May 22nd, 2013 at 4:30 pm
    new improved dr robert now cherry flavored Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:28 pm
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:25 pm
    dr_robert Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:07 pm
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:03 pm
    EXTEND REGGIE NOW!!!
    ************

come up with ur own material.
    *****
    PRYOR BRIGADE (C)
    ******
    Yes. We know ur a fan of mine.

But u need to stop trying to be another man.

Find ur own identity. U will be happier that way.

U can come on here and make friends with me. I won’t even know its u.

U can get advice from me. Agree with me. Be a kind of sidekick.

But u will be ur own man.
    ***
    So you mean I can be McFadden 20
    *********

Lol. That was kinda funny. Mcf20 is a good kid.

• inonewordraider

i actually don’t think gradkowski is a bad comparison to pryor

gradkowski was a fiery competitor, didn’t have all the throws inbut he kept us in games and won some for us

then he came back and looked absolutely horrible v miami, of course we later found out he was hurt that game and had to have surgery

pryors a bigger faster man. grads looked good in preseason, let’s see how pryor looks

• Just Fire Baby

I think there were ZERO sacks on TP also in that game.

*****************************

There were zero sacks the week before, with Matt Leinart playing.

• http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo249/the408RAIDER/749px-I-420svg.png 408RAIDER

C WOOD!

Hayden has to be stoked.

• new improved dr robert now cherry flavored

The dr Robert show.

And u will be the president of the fan club.

The weird, obsessive, crazy president.

• spiff

onc again mcfadden will be key. looks like him reece and murray presents a strong run game.then we can pick our shots down field

• SnBG

New Improved Dr Robert Now Cherry Flavored Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:39 pm
    SnBG Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:36 pm
    **********
    I’m the original. Not big R.
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Sorry, Dr r says he’s the original. I need some proof.

• inonewordraider

looks

66.Just Fire Baby Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:42 pm
    I think there were ZERO sacks on TP also in that game.

*****************************

There were zero sacks the week before, with Matt Leinart playing.

_______
    wow nice stat

freakin reece looked all pro with the zbs.. makes you wonder if the o line was better last year than many made it out to be

• Dr_ robert

new improved dr robert now cherry flavored Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:43 pm
    The dr Robert show.

And u will be the president of the fan club.

The weird, obsessive, crazy president.
    ***
    Actually we can have the wifey do that… At least half of her can take that title and the other half can work for cheap labor as an illegal nanny or something.

• SnBG

Just Fire Baby Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:42 pm
    I think there were ZERO sacks on TP also in that game.

*****************************

There were zero sacks the week before, with Matt Leinart playing.
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Line was pretty good against the pass last year. 4th in the league.

• Dr_ robert

By the way little ‘r’ how’s the hip. Hope it’s not to painful.

• new improved dr robert now cherry flavored

SnBG Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:45 pm
    New Improved Dr Robert Now Cherry Flavored Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:39 pm
    SnBG Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:36 pm
    **********
    I’m the original. Not big R.
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Sorry, Dr r says he’s the original. I need some proof.
    **************

May 22nd, 2013 at 4:36 pm
    new improved dr robert now cherry flavored Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:35 pm
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:35 pm
    Well Palmer is the #19 ranked QB in NFL history. Look it up.
    ********
    Ur kinda like my parrot
    ***
    More like your memory bank
    ************

U see? He admits it here.

• xraided

didnt realize our pass blocking was 4th in the league.. jebus

and it will get better from here …

2011 was the same way when DMC was running circles around the league(minus MIA and SF) …

and people say Barnes can’t pass block?

and was with a hurt Brisiel ?

it seems our schedule is easier this season too no?

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Just Fire Baby Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:42 pm
    I think there were ZERO sacks on TP also in that game.

*****************************

There were zero sacks the week before, with Matt Leinart playing.
    —————————–
    You really have to double ck JFB’s “stats”. Such a casual liar.

• SnBG

May 22nd, 2013 at 4:36 pm
    new improved dr robert now cherry flavored Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:35 pm
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:35 pm
    Well Palmer is the #19 ranked QB in NFL history. Look it up.
    ********
    Ur kinda like my parrot
    ***
    More like your memory bank
    ************

U see? He admits it here.
    ”””””””””””””””””””””
    Dr Robert seems like the real Dr Robert to me. The others are pretenders to the throne.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Inonewordraider Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:41 pm
    i actually don’t think gradkowski is a bad comparison to pryor

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Its a bad comparison IMO.
    TP has a strong arm and he is a great athlete.
    Gradkowski has a weak arm, and he is not a great athlete.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Is KookyKell lobbying again for me to post the the full breakdown of that game that concludes with this?

Pryor was 6 of 14 for 42 yds in the first half.
    1 of 9 for 22 yds in the third quarter.
    That’s 7 of 23 for 66 yds before going into the fourth down 24-7 in the last game of the year between two out of contention teams. In other words, what you would call garbage time if Palmer was in there.

• The Big Banana

Its a bad comparison IMO.
    TP has a strong arm and he is a great athlete.
    Gradkowski has a weak arm, and he is not a great athlete.

——

Where the comparison begins and ends is with their leadership and the spark/energy they provide at the position. Both are guys teammates will rally behind.

• PlunkforHOF

*********************************

Please… God, no.

• ShanghaiSmith

KoolKell Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:14 pm
    Just Fire Baby Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:57 pm

I have always said that TP will have a Bruce Gradkowski-esque NFL career (although TP as of now has some catching up to do).
    ————————-
    Gradkowski could hide in TP’s jockstrap.
    ________

He could, but he’d probly get injured