Charles Woodson Q&A

A transcript of Charles Woodson’s conference call with the Bay Area media Wednesday, a day after he signed with the Raiders:

Q: As you were making the trip, had you gotten wind of the fan support you were going to receive?

Woodson: Yeah, I had gotten word that they were going to do it. I didn’t know if it was a fact that it was going to be done, but I got word it was going to happen.

Q: Your impression of driving in and the whole experience?

Woodson: I’ll tell you, man, it was overwhelming. I think that if at any time I’d ever forgotten what the love was like in Oakland, I was definitely reminded yesterday.

Q: What factor would you say the fan gathering played a part in signing back with the Raiders?

Woodson: Oh, I think it played a big part. I think I was actually scared of leaving the facility and not having a deal done. I don’t know if I would have made it out of there. But that was a big deal, and receiving that kind of welcome, it definitely put me in a mindset that it would be a good decision to make it happen.

Q: You’d talked about playing for a contender, Raiders coming off four-win season, what attracted you to come to Oakland after talking to other teams, including Denver?

Woodson: Well, that was definitely my sentiment going into free agency that I wanted to go and finish up somewhere that was on the verge. Certainly, a couple of teams that brought me in, San Francisco and Denver, obviously two teams that have that chance. Those two places didn’t work out. Just as the process kind of rolled on, I knew I wanted to play football, regardless of really where I played. At that point I had to figure out what I wanted to do, and playing football was what I wanted to do so it was going to be somewhere, if it was a team that wasn’t quite there but still is a team that is looking on the up, then I was going to do it. And I feel that the Raiders are a team that are looking on the up.

Q: Did the Raiders have to sell you on the idea that they were up and coming, or since you had a background with Reggie McKenzie, what role did that play?

Woodson: that definitely played a role because we’re familiar with each other. But after talking to Reggie, I got a good feel about how he felt about the team and that just really gave me confidence that they’re going in the right direction. Going into the facility yesterday, I felt good about where things stood, and if I signed I was going to be going to a team that has good players on the team. The game is about fundamentals and playing good football, and they have some good players, and if we can put it together then we’ll win games.

Q: Was signing here a vote of confidence playing with Matt Flynn who you played with in Green Bay?

Woodson: I think the vote of confidence comes from the coaching staff. They brought him in here, Reggie brought him in here feeling that he was gonna be a big piece. My concern is playing on the defensive side. The offense will take care of itself, but I want to be a part of a defense that’s gonna be a dominant defense, a defense that keeps us in games, and so I’m excited about that aspect of it and getting with a bunch of guys that are ready to fly to the football.

Q: You have always been known as a sure tackler, what do you bring to the Raiders?

Woodson: You know what, I’m just gonna bring the intensity. I’m a football player so I’m gonna bring a lot of intensity, somebody that’s passionate about the game, and a guy that knows how to make plays. That’s what I’m going to bring. I think when guys watch me play, I think that raises the level of other guys because of the way I play the game. I’m gonna bring that mindset, that mentality to the game, the same as I always have and have fun doing it.

Q: In 2002, Rod Woodson came in at about the same age you are now, and had one of his best seasons. Do you have that kind of season in you?

Woodson: I plan on it happening. I wouldn’t be out there trying to continue to play if I didn’t think it was going to happen. I would have just retired if I thought I couldn’t go out there and be the best player on the field. I’m going in there with the mindset that i’m going to be the best player on the field. That’s how I feel.

Q: Is the collarbone healthy?

Woodson: Collarbone is great.

Q: What position will you play, are you a safety now?

Woodson: Right now it probably will be the same it was last year, come in and play the safety role. I know they have guys they brought in at the corner position Jenkins, Porter and the young kid Hayden. Their corner position looks to be pretty solidified. I’ll play my role at the back end and roam around the field and make plays.

Q: Have you talked to Tracy Porter about No. 24?

Q: What role did wine business in Napa have in your decision?

Woodson: Zero. This was all about football. It was all about continuing my football career and having an opportunity to go out there and help the team win. That’s the bottom line for me.

Q: Do you have more of a role as a mentor at this point in your career?

Woodson: I’ll do my part. I try to not to step on any coaches toes as far as what I’m telling the young guys or whjat I’m trying to give them. I told guys to ask questions and I’ll always be there to answer those questions. Whatever I can do, whatever input I can give those guys that’s definitely what I will do. If I could be a help to them and it will help us win ultimately I have to do it.

Q: Only Janikowski still around from your first time here, did you recognize a lot of other people in the building?

Woodson: Seabass is the only player but there were plenty of people that I still knew _ equipment guys, film guys, Willie Brown of course. It was great. It had been a while since I had seen Willie Brown. He is one of my favorite people ever. It was great to see him and give him a big hug. We always joke about who the real 24 is. It was good to have that back and forth with him. Getting the deal done and calling him and saying, ‘Willie Brown, I’m coming back. The real 2-4 is coming back.’ It felt good to be in that building. It felt good.

Q: Was there any talk about a role after playing days?

Woodson: I haven’t thought about that. I haven’t discussed that with anybody. Right now I’m just focused on learning what I need to learn as far as different terminology and understanding defense and the way it’s played and getting in and helping this team develop.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• morilla

uno

• PlunkforHOF

dos

• Just Fire Baby

Can’t let Chuck down with a 35K showing in November against the Titans after that move.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

SnBG Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Kamikaze_Sensei Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:55 pm
    I just don’t understand how this argument over Pryor keeps coming back. He had one game that he did decent in (still lost, but that’s more the Defense than anything else). What I notice is that even on his completions, he didn’t look that polished, and gave off the feeling that he was more playing backyard football rather than NFL football. I dunno, he can compete, and perhaps he can improve himself past Flynn and Wilson, but I don’t think he has it in him to outplay both of them.
    ””””””””””””’
    Disagree, Pryor made several great throws. He was able to throw running both left and right. He got the ball out quickly many times. His pass % would have been higher if the receivers had caught all the balls throw to them. He showed a lot of poise on the run and when he did try to run for first downs he was decisive about doing it.
    ===========================================

Huh? Pryor made one good throw, a lob to Myers that resulted in a first down. Other than that it was painful to watch.

• morilla

“Woodson: No we’ll definitely have to have that conversation. We haven’t had it yet. Raider Nation has me back but I don’t know if they’ll have me back without the 24 on my back.”

Porter is about to have a little extra spending cash.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Kamikaze_Sensei Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:55 pm

===============================================

Let me explain something. There is absolutely not one, NOT ONE coach in either the Pro or college ranks that is going to stay up 18 hours a day 360 days a year, so his Q can go out there and play “street ball”.

• Dr_ robert

EXTEND REGGIE NOW!!!

• Kamikaze_Sensei

I’m not trying to argue that he’s bad, so much as arguing that there’s nothing to say that he is definitively better than our other two options. It’s impossible to speculate on Wilson with any sort of definition, but I think that Flynn, in his two games, has shown that he can operate an offense and score. Say what you will about his receivers, but if I recall, there wasn’t much of a run game in GB.

• dr_robert

sounds like woodson likes reggie.

sounds like flynn is the man.

suck it hunter!!!

suck it flynn haters!!!

• The Big Banana

I have always said that TP will have a Bruce Gradkowski-esque NFL career (although TP as of now has some catching up to do).

The fan favorite, super hard-working, high character backup, who has some panache to him and may be able to run around and make some things happen for a half or even a week or two.

———

Guess that explains why I’m a Grads/Pryor fan. I’ve been typecast by Vegas.

• da trinity

Roam old man Roam

• dr_robert

Dr_ Robert Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:03 pm
    EXTEND REGGIE NOW!!!
    ************

come up with ur own material.

• da trinity

Harvey Milk day is a stupid celebration

• PlunkforHOF

C-Dub… my new favorite new/old Raider. I may be in the market for another jersey.

• da trinity

Woodson, you better have signed with us or else!!!!

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Just Fire Baby Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:57 pm

————————-
    Gradkowski could hide in TP’s jockstrap.

• spiff

to the poor

i pour another metaphor .

• spiff

oakland 10-6 bank it.

• The_Judge37

I’ve said before that Pryor reminds me of Bruce, they both move the ball down field, just don’t look pretty doing it.

• Just Fire Baby

I think the vote of confidence comes from the coaching staff.

******************************

If “Tits” and staff are good enough for Chuck Wood, they should be good enough for any of us dweebs.

• spiff

or maybe 9-7 making the playoffs with a better wins vs. the afc

• Just Fire Baby

I’ve been typecast by Vegas.

******************************

Once you gain that distinction, it’s a tough thing to shake.

• da trinity

Reggie the hustler, he can sell water to a well

• The_Judge37

20.Just Fire Baby Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:17 pm
    I think the vote of confidence comes from the coaching staff.

******************************

——-

That’s what they all say.

• Relentless

spiff Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:16 pm
    oakland 10-6 bank it.
    —–
    If TP6 starts.

• Just Fire Baby

Gradkowski could hide in TP’s jockstrap.

***************************

That’s kind of weird, but also not sure how that helps convert 3rd and 9′s on the road.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

The_Judge37 Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:16 pm

=============================================

Interesting comparison. One thing about Pryor is he is a big kid. And I mean a big kid. He has to go 6’6″ 230. That is big for a Q. Grads on the other hand goes about 5’8″ 145.

• spiff

wow gradkowski mentioning….
    okay all heart. no ability. a good tease.

• Just Fire Baby

Gradkowski is listed at 220 pounds.

Not buying that. Neither am I buying IR’GII’s “217″.

• SnBG

Seymour Bush Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:02 pm
    SnBG Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Kamikaze_Sensei Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:55 pm
    ””””””””””””’
    ===========================================

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Huh? At least go back and watch his highlights on youtube. Not being funny just saying he made several great throws agains SD and some while on the run. Don’t forget his running for first downs.

• Dr_ robert

dr_robert Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:07 pm
    Dr_ Robert Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:03 pm
    EXTEND REGGIE NOW!!!
    ************

come up with ur own material.
    *****
    PRYOR BRIGADE (C)

• Just Fire Baby

I don’t know about “great” throws on the run.

I would actually say they were better reads than runs. Seemed like he found the open man or single coverage most of the time.

• new improved dr robert now cherry flavored

KoolKell Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:14 pm
    Just Fire Baby Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 3:57 pm

————————-
    Gradkowski could hide in TP’s jockstrap.
    ********
    Are u suggesting that as an offensive plan?

So when Pryor needs to pass, he whips grads out and let’s him pass it?

Interesting. Outside the box but interesting.

• Just Fire Baby

reads than *throws*

• Dr_ robert

Dr_ robert Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:25 pm
    dr_robert Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:07 pm
    Dr_ Robert Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:03 pm
    EXTEND REGGIE NOW!!!
    ************

come up with ur own material.

***
    PLEASE EXTEND REGGIE NOW (C)

• new improved dr robert now cherry flavored

Dr_ Robert Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:25 pm
    dr_robert Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:07 pm
    Dr_ Robert Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:03 pm
    EXTEND REGGIE NOW!!!
    ************

come up with ur own material.
    *****
    PRYOR BRIGADE (C)
    ******
    Yes. We know ur a fan of mine.

But u need to stop trying to be another man.

Find ur own identity. U will be happier that way.

U can come on here and make friends with me. I won’t even know its u.

U can get advice from me. Agree with me. Be a kind of sidekick.

But u will be ur own man.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

=====================================

I wish you guys would not talk about just his “highlights” when he didn’t complete 50% of his passes, was 2 for 11 in the third quarter when the game mattered, and basically did nothing for 55 minutes of a 60 minute game.

• Raiders for life

@33
    Now that’s funny

• new improved dr robert now cherry flavored

Dr_ Robert Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:25 pm
    Dr_ robert Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:25 pm
    dr_robert Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:07 pm
    Dr_ Robert Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:03 pm
    EXTEND REGGIE NOW!!!
    ************

come up with ur own material.

***
    PLEASE EXTEND REGGIE NOW (C)
    ********
    Ok well that’s at least adding ur own twist.

• The_Judge37

When Pryor steps into his throws, he’s good. That’s his biggest problem though. He throws too often with just his arm, not much of his legs or body involved. And he’s too jittery behind the line, he’s waiting to take off rather than really focusing on staying in and finding a WR. Just sucks that he’s got an incompetent QB coach because he could be good.

• Dr_ robert

new improved dr robert now cherry flavored Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:28 pm
    Dr_ Robert Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:25 pm
    dr_robert Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:07 pm
    Dr_ Robert Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:03 pm
    EXTEND REGGIE NOW!!!
    ************

come up with ur own material.
    *****
    PRYOR BRIGADE (C)
    ******
    Yes. We know ur a fan of mine.

But u need to stop trying to be another man.

Find ur own identity. U will be happier that way.

U can come on here and make friends with me. I won’t even know its u.

U can get advice from me. Agree with me. Be a kind of sidekick.

But u will be ur own man.
    ***
    So you mean I can be McFadden 20 ;-)

• Dr_ robert

new improved dr robert now cherry flavored
    By the way little ‘r’ are you changing handles now. I thought you were better than that

• Relentless

Start Pryor now!!!!

• spiff

i will say this on pryor he can read defenses.our oc s supposed to be good developing qb’s for some reason pryor should be futher along. dunno maybe he is. don’t seem that way though. hopefully it will be a dogfight and the best man wins

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Just Fire Baby Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:19 pm
    Gradkowski could hide in TP’s jockstrap.

***************************

That’s kind of weird, but also not sure how that helps convert 3rd and 9’s on the road.
    ———————————–
    Converted 53%

• SnBG

Just Fire Baby Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:25 pm
    I don’t know about “great” throws on the run.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    While on the run

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Little QB’s get slapped around and fumble.

• new improved dr robert now cherry flavored

Raiders For Life Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:28 pm
    @33
    Now that’s funny
    *******
    “Say hello to my little friend!”

I know the brothers love Scarface so they gotta love it.

• The_Judge37

44.spiff Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 4:32 pm
    —–

If anything, the OC will be working with the Starting QB, and not really on anything fundamental. DeFilppo is the guy in charge of developing Wilson and Pryor, and that’s where we’re really FK’d

• Dr_ robert

Well Palmer is the #19 ranked QB in NFL history. Look it up.