1,458

More Woodson Q&A

Inadvertantly left off some questions from the Woodson conference call, including an illuminating answer about the difference in the building from the Al Davis days to the Reggie McKenzie regime:

Q: Can you talk about the process with Denver, and what kind of role did they want you to fulfill?

Woodson: Just typical free agent stuff. You go in, you meet, you talk, and the meeting went really well with the coaches. I think we all pretty much hit it off. But there’s always of course the business side of it that sometimes comes up short. So it didn’t work out. This situation did. So here I am, an Oakland Raider again.

Q: Only in the building for an afternoon, but could you already tell the difference in the vibe from the last time you were in in 2005 with Mr. Davis running the organization?

Woodson: I think having Reggie in there, and having somebody that’s really in that decision-making role other than Mr. Al Davis is definitely a different vibe. It seems like there’s more of a control factor as far as what they want to do and what they want to implement as far as their team is concerned. I think it’s a good vibe in there..

Q: When you left here you were Pro Bowl player four times, went to Green Bay, your career was good here, great in Green Bay. What were the causes for you taking your career to the next level?

Woodson: I think toward the end of Oakland, there was some injuries that kind of kept me off the field. Then I think that team-wise, we weren’t a very good team. I think that people just look at you as an individual and say, `If the team’s bad, you’re bad.’ I definitely didn’t play bad football my last y ears. I actually played pretty good football. Going into Green Bay was just a fresh start and I was able to stay on the field and go out there and do my thing and I had opportunity. When I got over there, quarterbacks were testing me a lot more than they had at any time in my career, and it gave me ample amount of opportunity to get the ball, and I was able to get my hands on a lot of balls, make a lot of interceptions and people started to notice again what kind of player I was.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• Raiders for life

Back to back 8-8 seasons with top dollar players is not winning.
    A 4-12 season proves what Kelly said….” I’m expecting to get cut”
    Remember Huffy saying that he was playing in a real defense now? How much did he make?

I don’t mind if the Raiders go over the cap, but if the top dogs can’t produce then we have a problem. A problem that has existed for years. It’s called losing seasons

The_Civilian_James_Trapp Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Priest don’t bother telling the Reggime apologists(Al-haters) that you want to see him win & will base your opinion on said person because of that one criteria. Anybody that loves a guy who went 4-12 his 1st year & HATES the guy who created the most distinct organization in professional sports, 3 NFL titles, 5 AFL/AFC titles, and for awhile the most winningest team in professional sports is in obvious need of a brain transplant…or better yet they should have been rooting for one of the other 31 politically correct pu$$y teams that were not run by their mortal enemy of their supposed “favorite” team.

*************
    u ball less puzzie, no one loves reg and hates al. it’s the al lovers hate reg for no reason other than he’s not al. take ur head out of ur fatass, u idiot.

May 23rd, 2013 at 6:47 pm
    Priesttj12 Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Win some damn games, do that and it all makes sense. Lose games and I will blaast his fat ass until I get tired………..period
    *********
    ur such a hypocrite. u defended al’s stupid moves for years, including a record 7 yrs straight of over 10 losses. if reg loses u’ll blast his fat ass, if al loses u kiss his old ass. ur a joke, old man. so shut up boy
    *************
    My jealous impostor is back wanting to be another man.

Everyone pay attention to him. He really needs it.

• ohioraider

The_Civilian_James_Trapp Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Ohioraider Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 6:48 pm
    Just Fire Baby Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 6:43 pm

By my count below, since FA the Raiders have made the playoffs 6 of 22 years.

About once every 4 years.

Reggie and DA got 4 year contracts, so that adds up ,pretty easy.

————————————–
    Team of decades, right? Commitment to Excellence? Sure. Commitment to the owner’s megalomania more like it.

===============

They appeared in super bowls in 4 different decades & and an AFC title game in the one they didn’t. I’d say that qualifies as a team of the decades. BTW, I’d cut with the ripping on Al crap. You never deserved to leach of his success and his rebellion. You Al-haters belong to the fan base of a franchise that’s more Jason Collins friendly.
    ——————————
    OK, numb nuts, so why don’t you just say what you’re thinking and post it straight out? What are you calling me exactly?

• Just Fire Baby

Nobody “loves” Reggie McKenzie or “hates” Al Davis.

Get a grip of yourself.

May 23rd, 2013 at 6:54 pm
    The_Civilian_James_Trapp Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 6:50 pm

*************
    ***********
    Sounds like MR to me. Of course. What a fraud.

• 0ak r8rs

The_Civilian_James_Trapp Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 6:53 pm
    Ohioraider Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 6:48 pm
    Just Fire Baby Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 6:43 pm

By my count below, since FA the Raiders have made the playoffs 6 of 22 years.

About once every 4 years.

Reggie and DA got 4 year contracts, so that adds up ,pretty easy.

————————————–

===============

@@@@@@@@@@@@@

LMFAO. Yea, that’s what people call us. A team of the decades. Idiot. Living decades ago. While your senile boy Al facked this team the last decade or two. Stfu.

• The_Civilian_James_Trapp

ElkGRaider Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 6:54 pm
    Yes James Trapp…

Us fans would be so excited from another Al draft. You could list the old titles…the history…the slogans…

WE WOULD STILL SUCK…and would be at the cap max…

Thats exciting…

=====================

Hey Al hater, I got news for you, unlike you whining pu$$ies, I don’t SOLELY base on his WORST 8 years. You guys hate Al, good for you, THEN WHY THE FU** DID YOU BECOME RAIDER FANS?

And guess what, if ripping Al makes you think that Shreg is more competent, have at it, but you are still a moron.

The revolution is over. I’m judging him & Denise by their W & L record. They haven’t & will never face the same obstacles that Al faced.

May 23rd, 2013 at 6:51 pm
    copy this down. when reg turns this org around, and the raiders become respectable again, good news is priest will disappear as quickly as his mind is. refusing to admit al was the problem all along.
    *********
    I love Al Davis. This guy calls people ball-less and pretends to be another man.

What a pathetic joke of a man.

• ohioraider

Deadenders would rather fall in love with a myth than actually win. That’s what galls them the most. Pathetic.

Priesttj12 Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 6:42 pm
    We should never have taken a step back if he really knew what he was doing. He screwed up bad firing Hue and hiring this damn fool of a coach. So we end of with 12 freakin loses after biulding things back up.

I don’t want to hear this cap crap………..period
    *************
    dude, ur old. ur decrepit. u can’t remember yesterday, and on top of that ur a proven drunk. no one cares about what u want to hear, u old silly fool. al davis will be remembered as one of the worst owners in all of sports, and will always be referred to as an example of what a meddlesome owner can do to a organization. 7 years of 11+ losses UNDER AL DAVIS. and u complain about a new gm’s first year of cleaning up al’s mess? go take a nap, old man

• The_Civilian_James_Trapp

==============

A whining, unappreciated pu$$y who loves conformity and a desire to be loved by the mediots & their pawns.

• Just Fire Baby

May 23rd, 2013 at 6:59 pm
    Priesttj12 Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 6:42 pm

I don’t want to hear this cap crap………..period
    *************
    *************
    Pay no attention to this troll.

He’s just trying to cause trouble.

Lol. He’s upset I get so much attention. Poor guy.

• The_Civilian_James_Trapp

@@@@@@@@@@@@@

============

What team can match what I just put up there? Superbowl apperances in 4 decades and a AFC title in the 5th. I’m betting no more than 3 teams(if any) can approach that…Of course, you’d have to do some research. I’d rather be senile & leave behind a legacy than some worthless couch potato Burger King patron.

• dr_robert

I am not attacking anyone. It’s MR my impostor.

He’s jealous and wants to be me.

Creepy fan.

• Toilet Aroma

dr_robert Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 6:47 pm
    Priesttj12 Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 6:34 pm

*********
    ——————-

Tj12 is Old Guard from Old School. He can say any thing he wants. If your happy with todays homogenized brand of Raider football, fine. But not everybody is OK with year 1 of Reggies rule. After all, his first move was to replace Hue with DA. How’d than go? 4-12? Fck these guys til they put a good football team out there. Al had to battle every damn facet of the league. All these guys have done is show people the door and get a bunch of one year guys.

• Just Fire Baby

Civilia James Trapp also must think Joe Paterno was a helluva pilar in the community for all his great work 30 years ago.

this is not me. it’s my stalker

dr_robert Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 6:58 pm

May 23rd, 2013 at 6:51 pm
    *********

What a pathetic joke of a man.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Raiders Beat‏@RaidersBeat4m

Richard Seymour made $42.9 million with the #Raiders over the past 3 years, according to @corryjoel.

————————–

Would never have happened if we had Reggie

• ohioraider

The_Civilian_James_Trapp Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 6:59 pm

==============

————————————–
    Well, the problem with this is I can repeatedly kick your ass with my words. I don’t even need my fists to kick your ass because your that weak a thinker. Which is typical of chest thumping macho dorks like you. I could fuk you up every which way but lo0se, whenever I choose, and I don’t need to plug in any $$ to do it. So tell the world what you think about that you little coksuker.

• Just Fire Baby

I’m rooting for the Private Equity guys (my peeps) who own 51% of the team.

Those guys deserve better than what Al brought them for their investment.

• ElkGRaider

==========

EVERYONE respects what Al did. So don’t start on that crap…

I base what I’m saying off his worst 8 years?? Where the heck have you been? Did you honestly see of getting better that that overpaid group?

I’m a moron for seeing through a senile old man who once was one of the greatest minds in football. Ok…alright…I understand.

Curious what obstacles Reggie will not face that Al had to???

• ohioraider

dr_robert Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 7:05 pm

this is not me. it’s my stalker

dr_robert Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 6:58 pm

May 23rd, 2013 at 6:51 pm
    *********

What a pathetic joke of a man.
    ————————————
    I have to say I find this hilarious. A real cluster fuk complete with doppelgangers.

May 23rd, 2013 at 7:05 pm
    this is not me. it’s my stalker

dr_robert Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 6:58 pm

May 23rd, 2013 at 6:51 pm
    *********

What a pathetic joke of a man.
    ***********

Lol. U have no shame.

Just a fan of mine.

Toilet Aroma Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 7:03 pm

dr_robert Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 6:47 pm
    Priesttj12 Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 6:34 pm

*********
    ——————-

********
    ya we get it, priest is old. forgetful. says stupid things. old ppl do that. al replaced hc after hc after hc after hc, with the end result of 7 straight yrs of losing 11 or more games. an nfl record. al destroyed this team and org, to where fans put up a billboard begging him to hire someone. his old ass wanted to lose his way, and he did.

Ohio–yeah he’s fun.

• 00tt00

reggie got alot of support when he was hired……firing hue raised eyebrows but was not totally unexpected……hiring DA…..the 2nd most unqualified coach in the NFL ever started the resentment bubbling……and hiring knapp got it to a full boil……we then got to watch one of the worst teams in the nfl with almost the same players which illustrated the staff were losers……..reggie had full support..he lost it

May 23rd, 2013 at 7:08 pm
    Toilet Aroma Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 7:03 pm

dr_robert Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 6:47 pm
    Priesttj12 Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 6:34 pm

*********
    ——————-

********
    ************
    U could never be me. Ur too stupid.

• 0ak r8rs

The_Civilian_James_Trapp Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 7:02 pm

@@@@@@@@@@@@@

============

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Your such a fool. The only thing the slightest bit interesting about you is your name. In 1983 we had 3 Super Bowl titles. Only Pittsburgh had more. Since then the 49ers, giants, cowboys and packers have all surpassed us. And the redskins, patriots, ravens and probably a few others have caught up w us. And you want to try and defend 20 years of futility, w one brief 3 year respite? Your a pathetic joke. Stfu.

• dr_robert

i have to admit my stalker makes more sense than i do, and is more on point, but doesn’t change the fact it’s MR and he’s a loser

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

That you, Scourge?

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Just Fire Baby Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 7:05 pm
    I’m rooting for the Private Equity guys (my peeps) who own 51% of the team.

Those guys deserve better than what Al brought them for their investment.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$

LOL
    They never got any returns?! Are you sure? AD never game them their share of the profit? Did he reinvest it in the Raiders?

• ESETERIK78

James Trapp?

Another track star that AL thought he could make a football player. Didn’t turn out too well.

You really are an AL guy aren’t you?

• Just Fire Baby

It’s got to be a generational thing.

There is a whole slew of Raider fans like myself in their early 30′s, where the Raiders have been the laughinstock of the NFL far too often.

Never seen a Super Bowl win. 1-3 in AFC championship games. Less playoff appearances then all our crappy divisional foes. Worst 7 year run in NFL history.

It’s been just all about all bad and very rarely good.

So excuse the F out of me, if I am willing to give Reggie McKenzie the same 25 years I gave Al, to see if he can deliver something to me as a fan, Al Davis never could.

A Super Bowl winner.

May 23rd, 2013 at 7:14 pm
    ***********
    Lol. U don’t even realize how stupid u sound.

Keep going. I love it.

• dr_robert

Even when u try to be me, u get ignored.

Ur so gay.

• 00tt00

say what you will about james trapp…..but a 10 year career in the nfl is pretty damn good

• dr_robert

kind of funny that priest creates a name called toilet aroma to defend himself. ya, definitely a stench about the guy, fo sho

• ohioraider

dr_robert Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 7:18 pm

May 23rd, 2013 at 7:14 pm
    ***********
    Lol. U don’t even realize how stupid u sound.

Keep going. I love it.
    ———————————
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

May 23rd, 2013 at 6:59 pm
    Priesttj12 Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 6:42 pm

I don’t want to hear this cap crap………..period
    *************
    —————————
    And ur a piece of garbage.

• ohioraider

00tt00 Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 7:20 pm

—————————–
    That the real James Trapp posting on here? If so, uh, well maybe I went a little too far.

May 23rd, 2013 at 7:20 pm
    *******
    Scientific fact: I never have used “fo sho”.

Wannabe.

• ElkGRaider

JFB…

33 myself. It must be a generational thing. I’M TIRED OF LOSING. How anybody could think that Al could bring the team back by himself (no GM), with an overhead projector, and no scouting team (or at least on he trusted), is beyond me…

KoolKell Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 7:23 pm
    May 23rd, 2013 at 6:59 pm
    Priesttj12 Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 6:42 pm

I don’t want to hear this cap crap………..period
    *************
    —————————
    And ur a piece of garbage.
    **********
    It’s MR Kell. U know I’ve never attached u to that degree.

• Myopinion

Dr rob. Happy bday, think I read that. Hope u have a good one.
    ill go back to thinking ur an arrogant idiot tomorrow, give y po ur wife some booze, maybe u get so freaky,animal birthday lovin.

I personally like everyone hating on the raiders, after all these years of it, its not ok to jump on now. You can look stupid like everyone else when we get it figured out this year. The day I found this blog I could careless what they have to say. Raiders are already some badmfkrs. Wait till we start winning.

• Just Fire Baby

Wasn’t Trapp the guy who went onto the field in LA when we were fighting with the Broncos in street clothes?

Just completely fueld the Raiders reputation.

• dr_robert

wat i love about this is i can say what i want, and if it offends anyone, i just hv to say it’s not me. it’s my stalker. it’s MR. kind of cool actually

• 0ak r8rs

It’s not all about age. I’ve been a fan since 1975 or so. I loved Al Davis and his creativity and his “won’t take shlt from anyone” attitude. I loved that he has the ballz to move to la. And them even more to move back. But he didn’t keep up w the times. He tried to ignore the salary cap like he ignored the rest of the NFL rules. And ignore the scouts that said you need to draft football players, not just athletes. And stopped hitting on washed up veterans that he was so good at picking up in the 70s and 80s. It was a hole combination of things. To the point that I couldn’t wait for him to be gone. And I knew he would leave until he died. So I certainly didn’t want him dead, but since it was the only way he will leave, I’ll take it.

Idk for sure if we r going in the right direction. And I have some serious doubts about HC. But at least it SEEMS like there is light at the end of the tunnel now. I haven’t even felt that, much less winning, for over 10 years now. So I’ll take it.

And the Hugh Jackson years? Nothing like the Gruden years. He did It right then. Built through the draft and picked up key FAs. The Jackson “era” if you wanna call his one year an “era” was mostly smoke and mirrors.