1,458

More Woodson Q&A

Inadvertantly left off some questions from the Woodson conference call, including an illuminating answer about the difference in the building from the Al Davis days to the Reggie McKenzie regime:

Q: Can you talk about the process with Denver, and what kind of role did they want you to fulfill?

Woodson: Just typical free agent stuff. You go in, you meet, you talk, and the meeting went really well with the coaches. I think we all pretty much hit it off. But there’s always of course the business side of it that sometimes comes up short. So it didn’t work out. This situation did. So here I am, an Oakland Raider again.

Q: Only in the building for an afternoon, but could you already tell the difference in the vibe from the last time you were in in 2005 with Mr. Davis running the organization?

Woodson: I think having Reggie in there, and having somebody that’s really in that decision-making role other than Mr. Al Davis is definitely a different vibe. It seems like there’s more of a control factor as far as what they want to do and what they want to implement as far as their team is concerned. I think it’s a good vibe in there..

Q: When you left here you were Pro Bowl player four times, went to Green Bay, your career was good here, great in Green Bay. What were the causes for you taking your career to the next level?

Woodson: I think toward the end of Oakland, there was some injuries that kind of kept me off the field. Then I think that team-wise, we weren’t a very good team. I think that people just look at you as an individual and say, `If the team’s bad, you’re bad.’ I definitely didn’t play bad football my last y ears. I actually played pretty good football. Going into Green Bay was just a fresh start and I was able to stay on the field and go out there and do my thing and I had opportunity. When I got over there, quarterbacks were testing me a lot more than they had at any time in my career, and it gave me ample amount of opportunity to get the ball, and I was able to get my hands on a lot of balls, make a lot of interceptions and people started to notice again what kind of player I was.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• Marks hair

so did everyone tweet go fúck yourself to tre wingo?

• dr_robert

I know I attacked mistic and priest, Kell, but not u. actually that wasn’t too u, it was to priest, and sometimes he deserves it, so butt out, if u would

Just Fire Baby Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 7:17 pm
    It’s got to be a generational thing.

There is a whole slew of Raider fans like myself in their early 30’s, where the Raiders have been the laughinstock of the NFL far too often.

Never seen a Super Bowl win. 1-3 in AFC championship games. Less playoff appearances then all our crappy divisional foes. Worst 7 year run in NFL history.
    =============================
    it probably is a generational thing…..you probably became a raider fan just because they were winning at that time……the older guys became raider fans because the attitude al davis brought……an anti establishment – us against the world – we take what we want and we enforce our will – screw the rest of the nfl establishment……..the raiders happened to win too which helped……but it was the attitude…the mentality that kept us fans for life and fans of al davis…….

reggie is bringing us a sanitized conformed football team…….he can change the colors, the logo…whatever….the raiders died when al died…….hue had the swagger and would have kept the legacy alive……reggie and DA are corporate america…….to quote seinfeld…now you are just rooting for laundry

• ohioraider

dr_robert Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 7:26 pm

wat i love about this is i can say what i want, and if it offends anyone, i just hv to say it’s not me. it’s my stalker. it’s MR. kind of cool actually
    ———————————–
    Classic! It’s my out of control id! Now this is ingenious.

• ElkGRaider

Ahh…so Reggie is square. Thats why he gets hated on? Ha…

HE WAS A GAWDD@MN RAIDER!

• 00tt00

reggie lost his raider roots and grew cheese on his head

• ohioraider

————————————
    Hue blew it with the Palmer trade. Just another example of Al’s bad judgment.

The NFL is corporate and you can’t get bigger than your Sugar Daddy. Ironic thing is Al helped create this juggernaut. Then he got consumed by it. That’s the real story for anybody interested in the facts. Al was rebelling against the very thing he helped to create. A classic tale of hubris. But he wrote his own story by staying on too long.

• 0ak r8rs

00tt00 Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 7:30 pm
    Just Fire Baby Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 7:17 pm
    It’s got to be a generational thing.

=============================

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

And how has that worked our for us the last two decades? I’ve been a fan for almost 40 years, but I’m not too ignorant to understand that times change. And if something isn’t working, then it NEEDS to change. I’m so sick of that anti establishment BS. Those days r over. It doesn’t work like that anymore. Football is a business. And to succeed in business you have to be smart and “play the game”. Reggie is playing the game. I won’t put DA in that same sentence, cause I’m not sure he’s any good at all. Worries me. But this is WAY better than the last 20 years. Anyone that can’t see that is simply a blind fool.

• realtruraider

The_Civilian_James_Trapp Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 6:50 pm
    Priest don’t bother telling the Reggime apologists(Al-haters) that you want to see him win & will base your opinion on said person because of that one criteria. Anybody that loves a guy who went 4-12 his 1st year & HATES the guy who created the most distinct organization in professional sports, 3 NFL titles, 5 AFL/AFC titles, and for awhile the most winningest team in professional sports is in obvious need of a brain transplant…or better yet they should have been rooting for one of the other 31 politically correct pu$$y teams that were not run by their mortal enemy of their supposed “favorite” team.

———————————————————-

Good post, but you can be an Al fan and a Reggie fan like myself. Thats the thing with some on here though, some seem to like Reggie only because he isn’t Al and vice versa (some don’t want to give Reggie a real chance because he’s not Al). I like Reggie and want him to succeed just like I wanted Al to because I’m a RAIDER FAN. I’m a huge Al fan and I want to become a Huge Reggie fan, I have faith that Reggie has a plan and that it will work out, when he starts winning games and gets us back to playoffs/SB then I will become a Huge fan of his, at this point I’m just a fan and can see he really does have a plan, we just have to give him a chance and get behind him like so many of us did with Al

• Marks hair

no more pretending to be amy trasks buddy with bs insider info?

• dr_robert

Myopinion Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 7:26 pm
    Dr rob. Happy bday, think I read that. Hope u have a good one.
    ill go back to thinking ur an arrogant idiot tomorrow, give y po ur wife some booze, maybe u get so freaky,animal birthday lovin.

I personally like everyone hating on the raiders, after all these years of it, its not ok to jump on now. You can look stupid like everyone else when we get it figured out this year. The day I found this blog I could careless what they have to say. Raiders are already some badmfkrs. Wait till we start winning.
    ********
    Thanks dude. It’s been a fun day thus far.

• dr_robert

Ohioraider Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 7:31 pm
    dr_robert Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 7:26 pm

———————————–
    Classic! It’s my out of control id! Now this is ingenious.
    **********

Yeah he amuses me. Nothing quite like a retard jumping a door knob.

• 00tt00

Hue blew it with the Palmer trade. Just another example of Al’s bad judgment.

=================
    there was nothing wrong with the palmer trade if we stuck with the same O…..reggie fcked up the palmer trade…not hue……by hiring an unqualified DA

he did stay too long…..but you would have too if it was your organization and your life…….you pour your entire life into building something and walk away

• Myopinion

Priest,
    An al davis guy.
    Win or lose that is what makes al so special, the al davis raiders will never die. Thats his legacy. Short of gettin laid, nothing in the world like watching a raider game, win or lose. I gurantee you no matter the players history,image, when we win, well be the same old bad ass raiders.

• ESETERIK78

AL invented the Raiders, it was his RIGHT to burn it down and go out swinging.

The RIGHT thing to do for your FANS was to fire yourself and get some people to help you.

ANY GM that loses 11 games in seven straight seasons should be fired. SHOULD be fired long before that can get that far.

THAT’s the messed up part of the whole thing.

I loved AL and will always, because he gave us the Raiders, but he needed to fire himself. It would’ve been so much easier for everyone to handle this transition if he had orchestrated it before he went.

That is all. Peace and GOD Bless dem RAIDERS!

• dr_robert

Dr_robert Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 7:30 pm
    ********
    Ur so transparent.

I’ve attacked missdick (u don’t know that’s how I say it dummy?).

But I only call priest a liar.

Barely respond to Kell. It’s MR that hates them.

• dr_robert

Dr_robert Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 7:26 pm
    **********
    I say what I want anyway. So I wouldn’t need u.

But I’m pro raider, probably Davis, and not racist.

Ur anti raider, anti al, racist, and pro niner.

Plus ur dumb and I’m smart.

================
    i want to be a hugh reggie fan too….where we differ is I dont have the faith…..i think reggie has some major blunders and is flying by the seat of his pants…….the “I want my guys” and “its the only way I know” tells me the guy is kinda dumb….a good gm/hc will adapt to what he has available and not have to go back to square 1….its just a simpleton approach

• Just Fire Baby

…..you probably became a raider fan just because they were winning at that time

**********************************

I became a Raider fan for the same reason most of all the Raider fans I know.

My family is all Raider fans and I was born in the Bay Area.

And it has always been about the laundry. You think players care about all that stuff fans do?

Please, todays modern athletes best friends are not their teammates, but guys they share agents with.

• 0ak r8rs

00tt00 Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 7:45 pm
    ================

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I think sticking to what you know is actually the opposite of flying by the seat of your pants. Just saying……

=====================
    go buy a shiney new car and just let other people drive it……..

thats why i dont disagree with jerry jones……screw everyone else……i worked my life to get this toy and im gonna play with it…….you want one go buy one

===============
    you probably have a point…..thats why he had to tear it all down and start from square 1….because he could not adapt

• Just Fire Baby

Al had ever right to run things how he sees fit, for as long as he saw fit.

Just the same that his customers have every right to tell him he is doing a horrendously, shatty job doing it.

• ESETERIK78

1321.00tt00 Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 7:51 pm
    =====================
    go buy a shiney new car and just let other people drive it……..

===================

Yeah AL DID work his whole life for it. Jones just made a purchase. F*** him.

• Mahlhavoc

00tt00 Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 7:45 pm
    ================
    1….its just a simpleton approach

⇧⇧⇧⇧

I disagree, wanting to do it the best way he knows and because he wont ‘adapt’ to bad contracts and check cashers not football guys with character is a sinpleton approach? Ok I dont mean to offend but that isnt a very smart statement. You javent even given a guy a single game with his OWN type of players with his own roster and hes a simpleton? I strongly disagree.

Just Fire Baby Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 7:49 pm
    …..you probably became a raider fan just because they were winning at that time

**********************************

I became a Raider fan for the same reason most of all the Raider fans I know.

My family is all Raider fans and I was born in the Bay Area.

====================
    no players dont care…..at least not todays players………players come and go….hell the team came and went….the constant was al davis….he is the raiders…..was hoping mark, hue, madden or someone could fill those shoes but I dont think thats happening……for me it wasnt laundry….it was attitude…….you may want to spend a little time watching the raiders from the 70′s early 80′s…..not so much the games….the attitude……for what its worth the steelers had that same attitude and that is why they have such good fans too…..its not the uniforms

• Just Fire Baby

…….you may want to spend a little time watching the raiders from the 70’s early 80’s…..

*******************************

Why?

That was 30 to 40 years ago man.

Let it go, those times are LLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG PAST.

• 0ak r8rs

Here’s what I don’t understand about the Reggie haters/Al lovers. Al is dead. He’s clearly not coming back. Neither r any of his antiquated ways of managing a football team. So if your a fan of this team, and you see things happening, whether your 100% convinced or not, why not get behind it? It’s all we have. And if DA gets fired or Reggie I’ll be behind the guys that come after them. Why the hell not? Nothing wrong w questioning stuff or lively debate, but the hate of the current regime is completely pointless and counterproductive. This whole al Davis mentality has you Reggie haters wanton to blow everything up every 18 months if things aren’t working perfectly. HOLY SHlT! That’s not how winning teams win!

When the hell will priest an 00tt00 and Trapp and all the other hard core anti establishment guys get that?!?! It’s like talking to a wall. Except the wall at least echoes back and makes sense occasionally.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Repost from a week ago
    - – - – - – - –

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Charlie Says:
    Not sure if you even read my 851 post. I mean really read it.
    The problem is complex. If you do not understand the circumstances you can not understand why Reggie has done what he has done.
    ======================================================

I did(and 869), and if you think about it another way it actually vindicates Al.
    If all his overspending, out of whack contracts, expensive attempts at quick fixes, kicking the salary cap down the road, extravagant spending in 2010, etc.,etc. can be undone in two years, then he had every right and damn near a mandate to do exactly that looking for one more trophy for HIS team before he shuffled off this mortal coil.
    It didn’t work, but he hadn’t ‘lost it’. He knew exactly what he was doing and knew competent management could clean up any messes he left in fairly short order. He simply wasn’t going to sacrifice two years in his final quest. No GM understood or massaged the salary cap with his artistry even up to his last breath.
    That it didn’t work is the only lesson to be learned here. I, for one, don’t fault him for trying.

• 00tt00

hey…jerry jones is an entreprennuer…….he failed at business and kept on trying until he was successful….is worked to get that team and deserves it……thats different than georgia frontier or marc davis inheriting it

0ak R8rs Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 7:59 pm
    ================
    now….if we all came on this blog and agreed how many posts do you think would be on here…..100…200….of completely boring dribble….this is why we are fans……we all get to play GM on our keyboard….dont screw it up

Just Fire Baby Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 7:59 pm

*******************************

Why?

That was 30 to 40 years ago man.

Let it go, those times are LLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG PAST.
    ==================
    yep…it was loooooong past….but watch anyway and see why the nfl is so popular today….its those guys in the 70′s/80′s that created this…..everyone is just reaping the benefits now

• 0ak r8rs

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Waste of a repost. That’s supposed to be excusable? And btw, it ain’t gonna be fixed in 2 years. It took two years just to take it apart. It’s gonna take at least another two to put it back together again. His decade of out of whack contracts and poor draft picks and thumbing his nose at the NFL and the salary cap did irreparable damage. It CAN’T be fixed. It had I be blown up and started from scratch. Now we r am expansion team. Thanks Al.

I’m not saying he didn’t have a right to do what w wanted to w his team. Who am I to tell him what to do w his team? But I don’t have to like it!

• Raider E

Hey 00tt00,

My Uncle Greg used to own the Windsor House in San Leandro where alot of old Raider greats like Freddie B, Stabler, and others would hang on occassion.

We have an old school Raider helmet with autographs of all the Raiders who patronized the place.

• 0ak r8rs

00tt00 Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 8:06 pm
    0ak R8rs Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 7:59 pm
    ================

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Point taken. But like I said, no problem w debate. It’s the seemingly closed minded hate that irritates me. I don’t expect or want everyone to agree. That would e pointless as well.

==================
    well….bill parcells could come in and change a team over night with the same players….harbaugh did the same thing……don shula spent a decade pounding the ball up the gut…..got dan marino and created one of the most amazing O’s in the history of the nfl………reggie has to go back to start

• 0ak r8rs

I can’t wait for preseason to start so we can start arguing about players and play calls and actual football stuff again. Woodson signed yesterday and I’m already bored today.

• Twinkle

00tt00 you mean it was that era that was responsible for ‘the 32 teams that suck’ that we pay good money to watch nowadays…..here I was thinking it was DeBartolo’s fault.lol

• Myopinion

I like all sports, my pacers lost a playoff heartbreaker last night. After a lott of cusswords,cigs,and get this chronics. A fat j of shwag, its available here in nm. And it does the job,when times are tuff.i was over it. Woke up this morning smelling the flowers.

Raiders lose and it determines the mood of mon. Tues,and even weds. Been like that since I was little,and stumbled upon a raider bronco game. I even remember getting caught at like 10 stealing a kid on my bus raider jacket. I was poor, and I really really wanted that fkr.

I got my first line of silver and black, been a pheen ever since. Raiders choose you,you dont have a choice.

• Raider E

Your not an Oakland sports guy Oak? We still have the A’s till the Raiders hit traning camp.

• 0ak r8rs

Jimmy Johnson went backwards. Blew the whole thing up and basically started over again. Drafting guys he knew, btw. And he was pretty dynamic and successful. I’ll give you parcells, he was special. But even harbaugh got a little lucky. Singletary obviously couldn’t coach, but the talent was there.

• Twinkle

E….hang on to that puppy….be able to sell it and buy a house down the road.

• 0ak r8rs

Raider E Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 8:18 pm

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

No. I’m not. I’m east coast. Knicks (gone). Rangers (basically gone). Mets = raiders. I don’t have much to hang into except preseason raider kool aid right now honestly.

• Raiders for life

My bathroom is upstairs directly over my kitchen.
    I noticed a leak in my kitchen ceiling that was getting worse.
    On 10-8-11 I started cutting out the sheet rock in the ceiling when I heard the news.
    I kept on working and my good buddy comes over, I looked down at him from my ladder and told him Al had passed. He made me stop working and we went and got a 12 pack. Talked about the past, present and future of the Raiders.

I will never compare 9/11 to Al’s death. But I will never forget the day and what I was doing.

We all loved Al Davis, supporting Reg doesn’t make all of us AD haters.

Raider E Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 8:12 pm
    Hey 00tt00,

=============
    pretty cool……stabler was my favorite as a kid…..i grew up in jersey when nameth owned the town…..everyone was a jet fan……except me…….i started the non-comformity thing as a little kid and rooted for the raiders cause everyone hated them and al davis

• 00tt00

We all loved Al Davis, supporting Reg doesn’t make all of us AD haters.
    ============
    except reg seems to go out of his way to diss the old regeim and makes excuses for himself

• 0ak r8rs

Myopinion Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 8:17 pm

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I’m 100% w you on that. I like other sports and other teams, but I just about live and die by the raiders. Idk why, but it sets my mood for Monday Tuesday and Wednesday too depending on a win or loss. My family thinks I’m mentally imbalanced during football season. Even my oldest daughter, who is just about as big a fan as I am (your welcome) doesn’t line to watch games w me. I’m bipolar 3.5 hours a week, 16 weeks a year.

• Raider E

Twinkle,

Never sell it, they will have to pry it from my cold dead fingers.

• Raiders for life

#############

Do you have an example? I’ve never heard Reg bad mouth the Raiders or the organization.

• 0ak r8rs

I’m worse when we r winning tho. Cause I expect to win every game. When we suck, and the season wears on, I kinda get resigned to the fact that we suck and start taking it in stride by about week 10 or 12. But when we r good, forget it. I scream at every play.