1,458

More Woodson Q&A

Inadvertantly left off some questions from the Woodson conference call, including an illuminating answer about the difference in the building from the Al Davis days to the Reggie McKenzie regime:

Q: Can you talk about the process with Denver, and what kind of role did they want you to fulfill?

Woodson: Just typical free agent stuff. You go in, you meet, you talk, and the meeting went really well with the coaches. I think we all pretty much hit it off. But there’s always of course the business side of it that sometimes comes up short. So it didn’t work out. This situation did. So here I am, an Oakland Raider again.

Q: Only in the building for an afternoon, but could you already tell the difference in the vibe from the last time you were in in 2005 with Mr. Davis running the organization?

Woodson: I think having Reggie in there, and having somebody that’s really in that decision-making role other than Mr. Al Davis is definitely a different vibe. It seems like there’s more of a control factor as far as what they want to do and what they want to implement as far as their team is concerned. I think it’s a good vibe in there..

Q: When you left here you were Pro Bowl player four times, went to Green Bay, your career was good here, great in Green Bay. What were the causes for you taking your career to the next level?

Woodson: I think toward the end of Oakland, there was some injuries that kind of kept me off the field. Then I think that team-wise, we weren’t a very good team. I think that people just look at you as an individual and say, `If the team’s bad, you’re bad.’ I definitely didn’t play bad football my last y ears. I actually played pretty good football. Going into Green Bay was just a fresh start and I was able to stay on the field and go out there and do my thing and I had opportunity. When I got over there, quarterbacks were testing me a lot more than they had at any time in my career, and it gave me ample amount of opportunity to get the ball, and I was able to get my hands on a lot of balls, make a lot of interceptions and people started to notice again what kind of player I was.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• 00tt00

Twinkle Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 8:15 pm
    00tt00 you mean it was that era that was responsible for ‘the 32 teams that suck’ that we pay good money to watch nowadays…..here I was thinking it was DeBartolo’s fault.lol
    ==================
    DeBartolo’s certainly gets credit for the TV contracts………but….you dont get that unless the product on the field is worthy of it….and that was some great fckin football…….the rule changes are ruining the game….i’m really not sure where we are going to be at 10 years from now when the lawyers finish with this…..im guessing no kickoffs, punts, sacks, big oversized pillow helmets, etc

• Raiders for life

0ak R8rs Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 8:29 pm
    I’m worse when we r winning tho. Cause I expect to win every game. When we suck, and the season wears on, I kinda get resigned to the fact that we suck and start taking it in stride by about week 10 or 12. But when we r good, forget it. I scream at every play.

##################

LOL, last Fathers day my wife got me a little 19 inch flat screen to put in my garage. I’m not allowed to watch Raider games in the house anymore.

• Raider E

Not proud of it , but I have actually been arrested in my younger years for totally flipping out on a fan of the Chiefs once, and the Chargers once after we had lost a game and I decided I wasn’t gonna take the sh*t I was dishing out all day long lol :)

• Raider E

19 inches? That’s it? I guess women really don’t think bigger is better?

• Raiders for life

Raider E……
    At least I can smoke drink and cus in peace now!!!!!!!

• 0ak r8rs

I was watching the snow bowl at my buddies house and when the tuck rule call was made I reflexively crushed a near full beer can and it went all over his 54 inch plasma. That shlt was expensive back then, let me tell you. Talk about adding insult to injury…..

• Twinkle

Oak you mean he drafted all the kids that were on the payroll at UM?

• Myopinion

My sis and her kid have been staying with me,and she became a raider fan immeadeatly after watching them with me, said it makes living with me easier when they win. And my nephew,one of the first 15 words he said was yayyuhs. Only 1.5yrs and he spots it anywhere and everywhere.
    I was worried, I got him a raider onsie for his first xmas,and within 2 sec. He sht all over it. But after some talks,im convinced hes hooked.

• 0ak r8rs

Twinkle Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 8:41 pm
    Oak you mean he drafted all the kids that were on the payroll at UM?

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Haha. Yea, basically. But you have to admit he had a nose for college talent. Hit on a lot of draft picks, especially in his first two years.

• 0ak r8rs

To this day my buddy still says the tuck rule was a good call his to get under my skin. And it works. I wanna punch him in the head everytime it comes out of his stupid mouth. I think id rather him insult my kids. Not really, but…..

• Myopinion

Worst part is after you actually do jab a wall in raider anger. As a grown man its dussapointing that u cant control yourself. Especially when someone asks what happened

• 00tt00

0ak R8rs Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 8:19 pm
    Jimmy Johnson went backwards. Blew the whole thing up and basically started over again. Drafting guys he knew, btw. And he was pretty dynamic and successful. I’ll give you parcells, he was special. But even harbaugh got a little lucky. Singletary obviously couldn’t coach, but the talent was there.
    ==================
    i dont know if you can really say they went backwards….3 wins to 1 win….from suck real bad to suck real bad…….and he inherited michael irvin and drafted troy aikman and got 6 high draft picks for walker……he didnt blow up something showing promise……he got something at the bottom and received a slew of high picks that forced the roster change…..thats a bit different than getting an 8-8 team with a dynamic offense…..

• 00tt00

out guys

• lefty12

Anyone feel that pretty good quake?

• Raider E

Talk about embarrassing, I used to live in the house next door to a small neighborhood market that my landlord owned back in 1994-1996.

One year the Raiders were playing the Broncos for the wild card and lost.

I walked next door to the market, already frustrated, and had forgotten it closed early on Sundays.

It sent me over the edge and I kicked in the glass door because there was no way i was going to be denied one last 24 oz. Miller Lite Ice to soothe my wounds lol.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Just felt a touch of a tremor. Rare here in Grass Valley. There was an earthquake somewhere in California a couple minutes ago.

• 0ak r8rs

Myopinion Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 8:49 pm

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Lmao. Been there too. Embarrassing. I actually keep stuff near me now that I can throw that won’t cause to much damage or expense or mess. Empty water bottles r good. They make alot of noise and they r just heavy enough to be satisfying when you launch them, but they rarely do any significant damage.

• Twinkle

00tt00 it all started going to the crapper when Lamar Hunt ousted Al from the Commissioner’s office.After a few months of Al’s direction the NFL wanted the merger and Al was dead set against it.He could see where it would end up…..all bread and fancy dressings and no meat.You can see it all in the look on Tagliabue’s face at Al’s induction and then every year thereafter as Raider after Raider was inducted to the HOF.Used to watch the thing every year just to see that dude choke.

• 0ak r8rs

Raider E Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 8:55 pm

One year the Raiders were playing the Broncos for the wild card and lost.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Yea. I never came close to being arrested. You win. Haha

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    There was an earthquake somewhere in California a couple minutes ago
    ====================================

Well, that’s pretty much true 24/7. Let me clarify. A noticable earthquake. They’re rare close to here, so I’d give it a 4.0 minimum.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Tagliabue or Rozelle?

• Twinkle

Pman get a grip….one of your dromedaries just leapt up on your roof.Sorry….couldn’t resist it.lol

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Where you at lefty?

• Raider E

I have calmed down immensely, but I was only 20 then and full of all kinds of invalid emotion.

Now, I seriously make fun of them dudes. It makes it easier to swallow :)

• lefty12

North of you!

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

lefty12 Says:
    North of you!
    ===================================================

Can you narrow that down for me a bit? At least mileage wise from Grass Valley? NE, NW?

• Myopinion

Raider e,
    No explanation necessary, youth,booze,and then u add the damn raides lost. Done some very dumb sht myself as a young man.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Be careful Lefty.

• Twinkle

Tags as Rozelle had hit the tow the year before Al’s induction.No way in hell was he gonna have anything to do with it.He’d a thrown up in front of all creation.
    Pete: I’ve decided to retire and I’m putting you up as my replacement.
    Paul: Gee thanks Pete….anything I should know.
    Pete: Now that you mention it….you might wanna school up on the Canton thing….Jeez I’m late…gotta fly.

• Myopinion

Have a good night guys,
    got some good laughs,

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Recent earthquakes
    earthquake.usgs.gov
    Time Magnitude Location
    24 minutes ago 5.7 Northern California Map
    7 hours ago 6.3 Tonga Map
    10 hours ago 7.4 South of the Fiji Islands Map

Up near Lassen

• lefty12

Perv/In/ET Opt-Northern Calif.-north of you(Grass Valley).

• lefty12

KK-I know!

• Twinkle

7.4 now that one will test your dentistry.Fijians know how to rock and roll.In Kiwi they hit every two or three weeks weather you need em or not.The Ring goes right through the middle of the North Island.

• dr_robert

where’s my stalker MR? guy has some serious issues.

• Twinkle

Pman he’s just south of Mt McKinley.

• dr_robert

ha. jus chk my email, got a email from cork sayin all my stalkers are gone. adios MR, u loser

• Twinkle

Dr Bob…why?…you miss him or something.

• Just Fire Baby

Watching a game with myopinion here in the 505 might be interesting.

Uhhh…….first ones at your house, lol.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Twinkle Says:
    Pman he’s just south of Mt McKinley.
    ========================================================

Anybody here North of Mt. McKinley?

• ShanghaiSmith

This years draft was unbelievably good.

• Mr. Claus

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    Anybody here North of Mt. McKinley?
    ====================================================

I am!

• Twinkle

They are…..but they’re a little busy pulling oil from the ground before the ground melts under their arses.
    Way it’s going the ’74 pipeline will end up forty feet above ground level toot suite.

• Raider Riff

Wow. The al loyalists are getting roasted bad tonight.

They aren’t exactly aware that their commitment to al is/was a commitment to failure. We’ve been garbage since 89. Only Gannon/gruden were the outlier and who f’d that era up? Al did.

Post 1183 takes the cake. Post of the day. Ohioraider MVP of ota’s so far.

• Twinkle

SS you know this how?They haven’t been issued pads yet.

• E Reptile Dysfunction

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    May 23rd, 2013 at 8:55 pm

======================

Just saw that on my Quake Alert. 5.7 centered in Greenville. I see a 2.8 and a 2.5 have followed that up. Anacortes had a 2.5 right before a interstate bridge collapsed up this upper NW way. Reggie is a mover and a shaker baby!

:cool:

• Twinkle

Riff Good Evening…..we are plenty aware of the scoreboard….we are also aware of the prefix that occurs
    before your monicker that will never be applied to either Gruden or his noodle armed lackey who to this day still sh!ts on this club in the national media.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Twinkle Says:
    Way it’s going the ‘74 pipeline will end up forty feet above ground level toot suite.
    ===================================================

How will the caribou stay warm then?
    Oh, right. They’ll no longer need to.

• ShanghaiSmith

Nick Kasa.. Similar to Gronkowski

• ShanghaiSmith

Imagine Woodson lined up behind Sio… Manning audibling at the line. Woodson dipping down to whisper a key observation, then galvanizing Sio with a firm backside pat before dropping back in perfect coverage.