3,259

Brown: Woodson can right some wrongs

Some interesting observations from former Raiders wide receiver Tim Brown Thursday night as he was inducted into the Bay Area Sports Hall of Fame.

Brown was a teammate of Charles Woodson, who returned to the Raiders Tuesday as a free agent, and also a fellow Heisman Trophy winner. When they played together, Brown was the consummate family man while Woodson was single and more of a man-about-town, someone who came to play on Sundays but wasn’t necessarily as involved Monday through Saturday.

Yet Brown, in a late-January conversation, never had any issue with Woodson because he came to play every Sunday.

Dan Brown of the San Jose Mercury News/Bay Area News Group caught up with Brown at the BASHOF ceremonies Tuesday night and this is how Tim Brown reacted to Woodson’s return to Oakland:

“I think it’s great. I think for C-Wood, it was probably the only move that he could have made. Once you get up there in age, you saw what Urlacher did. He just said, ‘I don’t want to put on another jersey.’

“I think when you get up there in age, you want look around and say, ‘OK, I have to go some place where I’m comfortable. Because I’m not trying to learn new people at 36 y’ears old.’ That’s why I chose to be with (Jon) Gruden because it was someone I knew and there were five or six players that I knew very well. So it was a comfortable environment for me.

”For him, coming back here is going to be great. He has a chance to kind of right some of those wrongs that he had while he was here. I don’t know if he was the leader back then that he ended up being in Green Bay. So now he gets to come back here and fix everything he needs to fix and go out on a high level.”

Brown, who has been denied in his first three attempts at the Pro Football Hall of Fame, conceded he hadn’t given much thought about the signifcance of the Bay Area Sports Hall of Fame until given some perspective.

“Initially, I’m like, “OK. All right.” Because at that time I was waiting to see about the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

“But somebody who is a baseball fan said, ‘Dude, you’re going to be in a friggin’ Hall of Fame with Willie Mays.” I’m like, ‘Whoa.’ It just sort of changed the whole perspective of what this is about. This is not a football Hall of Fame. This is a Bay Area sports deal. And from that standpoint, we really started to look forward to this night.”

Brown said the selection of Fred Biletnikoff to present him at the ceremony was an easy one.

“To me, it was the only choice. Freddy was, what did I play, 15-16 years with the Raiders, and he saw the whole maturation process,” Brown said. “From struggling coming off my knee injury to being just happy be on the field to wanting to play hard to more to starting to making Pro Bowls and until the end of the 16 years.

“From that standpoint, I needed him to be part of the ceremony tonight. Whatever he’s going to say, he’s going to say because it’s not or ever was about his words. It’s just about him being part of the ceremony.”

Brown’s most cherished moment as a Raider?

“I think for me it was making it to the Super Bowl. We always felt it was us versus the world,” Brown said. “Us winning 12 games felt like winning 20 games. So I think to overcome everything we needed to overcome and still make it there was quite a moment of accomplishment on all of our parts.”

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

J Hill Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 9:16 am
    Leftover fried chicken is for amatuers!!!!

The WHOLE POINT is the crispy skin. Leftovers = soggy skin = no bueno.
    ================================================

Not if you store it right. I love some cold crispy fried chicken. I’m with you on the skin thing. Heck, you can have my chicken breast meat if you give me the skin off yours.
    I wouldn’t bother cooking turkeys if it wasn’t for the skin.

• Thec

RaiderRockstar Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 9:20 am
    @Thec

your “prediction” is that Ford is 100% healthy from now until next May?

dang bro, that’s almost insane.

++++++==

I believe it so much that I put money on it with that Gangster from Las Vegas.

• guest123

new post

• dr_robert

RaiderDebo Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 9:23 am
    SnBG Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 9:14 am
    Never said he was, although I don’t think it’s a bad thing. My point is that he’s only considered a superstar because of his team’s success. He’s never made a Pro Bowl or thrown for 4K yards. Teams make QBs. Always have, always will.
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    That’s a perceptual idea for the media as to whether a QB is good,great or not.It’s not relevant as to a QB’s talent level. Flacco and the great star QB’s all have talent.
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Preaching to the choir. Huge fan of elite talent. That’s why I’m so pissed we dumped JaMarcus. Supreme talent stuck on a shtty team.
    ***********
    Why can’t u understand what even Russell knows?

He sucked. It was his fault. It took him 4 years just to try to come back.

Ur a stooge.

• bcz24

Time to shut your pie hole and open your ears Doc Dummy. RRS is giving you an education. I’ll take it a step further. Give me JaMarcus over Palmer in the last 2 minutes of a game 6 days a week and twice on Sunday!
    ******************
    Sadly, to this point, 32 NFL teams disagree with you. Maybe he can join Tebow in the CFL?

• theghostronin79

RaiderDebo Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 8:45 am
    SnBG Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 7:38 am
    Yesterday I had a debate with several posters about game managing QBs.I said only 4 game managing QBs have won the SB. Others disagreed and said more have won the SB. I think we have differing opinios as to what a game managing QB is. He’s mine. A non-star quarterback on a winning team may be called a game manager if he avoids making mistakes that prevent his team’s defense and rushing offenses from succeeding.
    What’s yours.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Being the QB on a winning team makes you a star QB. Ever heard of Joe Flacco?

=============

The only thing with that is, Joe takes a TON of shots downfield. Makes quite a few big plays. I think the Rep he’s starting to create for himself is “CLUTCH”. He does it when it matters and with the game / season on the line.

Usually game manager and Clutch don’t go together. If Joe played the same, minus going downfield and barely missed the playoffs every year, I’d say YES to game manager.

• hwnrdr

3224.guest123 Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 9:09 am
    It’s like Kenny Smith said after game 1…sometimes you have to just shake the man’s hand!

^^^^^^^^^

I thought it was Charles Barkley who said that. “if you can take 6 of those from me, I’m a gonna shake your hand after the game!”.

Then TNT showed Charles getting elbowed in the ribs and splaying on the ground crying like a schoolgirl. LOL

Your right, it was Charles!

• The Big Banana

J Hill Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 8:48 am
    I’d LOVE for the talk of OTAs to be the WRs.

And of course 20 looking explosive.

——-

Doesn’t 20 always look explosive in OTAs/camp?

• J Hill

@Jhill

why didn’t you pick the LA Rams or SD Chargers?

you’re a SoCal guy. Same reason you didn’t pick the Clippers. they weren’t winning!

————————————————————

I didn’t “pick” the Chargers or Clippers because they were San Diego teams. I’m from LA.

I was a HUGE Rams fan when they played at the coliseum. My Grandma lived right around the corner from the Coliseum and she used to take me to the games.

When they moved out of the coliseum, the Raiders moved in. Once again, an LA based team.

See the pattern???