Brown: Woodson can right some wrongs

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Thursday, May 23rd, 2013 at 11:23 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Some interesting observations from former Raiders wide receiver Tim Brown Thursday night as he was inducted into the Bay Area Sports Hall of Fame.

Brown was a teammate of Charles Woodson, who returned to the Raiders Tuesday as a free agent, and also a fellow Heisman Trophy winner. When they played together, Brown was the consummate family man while Woodson was single and more of a man-about-town, someone who came to play on Sundays but wasn’t necessarily as involved Monday through Saturday.

Yet Brown, in a late-January conversation, never had any issue with Woodson because he came to play every Sunday.

Dan Brown of the San Jose Mercury News/Bay Area News Group caught up with Brown at the BASHOF ceremonies Tuesday night and this is how Tim Brown reacted to Woodson’s return to Oakland:

“I think it’s great. I think for C-Wood, it was probably the only move that he could have made. Once you get up there in age, you saw what Urlacher did. He just said, ‘I don’t want to put on another jersey.’

“I think when you get up there in age, you want look around and say, ‘OK, I have to go some place where I’m comfortable. Because I’m not trying to learn new people at 36 y’ears old.’ That’s why I chose to be with (Jon) Gruden because it was someone I knew and there were five or six players that I knew very well. So it was a comfortable environment for me.

”For him, coming back here is going to be great. He has a chance to kind of right some of those wrongs that he had while he was here. I don’t know if he was the leader back then that he ended up being in Green Bay. So now he gets to come back here and fix everything he needs to fix and go out on a high level.”

Brown, who has been denied in his first three attempts at the Pro Football Hall of Fame, conceded he hadn’t given much thought about the signifcance of the Bay Area Sports Hall of Fame until given some perspective.

“Initially, I’m like, “OK. All right.” Because at that time I was waiting to see about the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

“But somebody who is a baseball fan said, ‘Dude, you’re going to be in a friggin’ Hall of Fame with Willie Mays.” I’m like, ‘Whoa.’ It just sort of changed the whole perspective of what this is about. This is not a football Hall of Fame. This is a Bay Area sports deal. And from that standpoint, we really started to look forward to this night.”

Brown said the selection of Fred Biletnikoff to present him at the ceremony was an easy one.

“To me, it was the only choice. Freddy was, what did I play, 15-16 years with the Raiders, and he saw the whole maturation process,” Brown said. “From struggling coming off my knee injury to being just happy be on the field to wanting to play hard to more to starting to making Pro Bowls and until the end of the 16 years.

“From that standpoint, I needed him to be part of the ceremony tonight. Whatever he’s going to say, he’s going to say because it’s not or ever was about his words. It’s just about him being part of the ceremony.”

Brown’s most cherished moment as a Raider?

“I think for me it was making it to the Super Bowl. We always felt it was us versus the world,” Brown said. “Us winning 12 games felt like winning 20 games. So I think to overcome everything we needed to overcome and still make it there was quite a moment of accomplishment on all of our parts.”

• Sweep The Leg.

“science”

Sweep The Leg. Says:
    May 27th, 2013 at 10:13 pm
    Silverandblack666 Says:
    May 27th, 2013 at 9:57 pm
    “Faith is faith and it has nothing to do with scientific advances.”

Faith = believes in something without any facts to support those beliefs, you are in essence “hoping” it to be true.

Science = facts based on research and discovery.
    ===================================

Faith is the action of placing ones trust in something or someone. It can be done with as much facts or evidence as you choose.

I do not believe in evolution (molecules to man) because I do not see the facts to support it. I believe in God because I see much evidence to support it. Science is the pursuit of knowledge, no matter where the evidence leads you. It, by definition, does not exclude the possibility of the supernatural. “Modern” science excludes the supernatural because it seeks a natural explanation to the universe with out the intellectual integrity to examine all possibilities.
    The public at large has bought into the idea that to believe in God is to disbelieve ?science”, when the truth is that an honest assessment of any truth requires the study of all possibilities.
    **********
    Well said.

In fact, true science should recognize the obvious idea that there is more to the universe than the physical world can explain.

Not pseudo-science. Real science.

Quantum physics. Time. Space. Cause and effect.

The reality is that the world is being pressured to believe religion is for dummies and nuts.

In fact, it is acknowledgment that science is incapable of ever proving the true nature if the world.

Science does NOT disprove God. It is simply a logic-based approach to observation. It should not rule out things we don’t understand.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

dr_robert Says:
    Studied (among other things) Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Calculus and Analytical Geometry, Geology, Philosophy, Theology, Anthropology, Sociology, Psychology, History, and many others.
    ===================================================

Maybe should have skipped a couple and emphasized psychology.

dr_robert Says:
    this idiot is not me. just ignore him. cork will take care of him tomorrow.
    dr_robert Says:
    this idiot is not me. just ignore him. cork will take care of him tomorrow.
    dr_robert Says:
    England–that’s my impostor (MR).
    dr_robert Says: my stalker is back. retarded boy that he be.
    dr_robert Says
    Dr_robert Says:
    my stalker is back. I said soon. Ur too obvious.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

“False”
    Oh well. that clinches it then. When has Wiki ever been in error.

Come on RediaR.
    You’re smarter than that

I’m out anyway because I don’t give a rat’s azz about Darwin since he couldn’t play football.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

I believe in Buddhism.

• Sweep The Leg.

Good Dr., thank you. God can not be proved or disproved with science. Evidence should be the barometer. There is much evidence, most specifically predictive prophecy.

RediaR Says:
    May 27th, 2013 at 10:14 pm
    There is evidence for a god in the same way there is evidence Jim Carey is a marsupial.
    ********
    Simple logic.

The universe is a system and is NOT random.

Systems are designed.

There is a designer.

Proof of design exists everywhere. The delicate balance if all living things.

Seasons.

Because u don’t understand God doesn’t mean He doesn’t exist.

• Sweep The Leg.

Good night all. God bless our troops and those who gave their all to provide us with our freedom.

• rediaR

uh oh, prophecy talk. This just went other level.

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    May 27th, 2013 at 10:19 pm
    ===================================================

Maybe should have skipped a couple and emphasized psychology.

dr_robert Says:
    this idiot is not me. just ignore him. cork will take care of him tomorrow.
    dr_robert Says:
    this idiot is not me. just ignore him. cork will take care of him tomorrow.
    dr_robert Says:
    England–that’s my impostor (MR).
    dr_robert Says: my stalker is back. retarded boy that he be.
    dr_robert Says
    Dr_robert Says:
    my stalker is back. I said soon. Ur too obvious.
    *******
    What do u want from me?

MR has a crush. Not my fault.

• rediaR

All complicated man made systems are man made. Therefore all complicated systems are “man” made.

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    May 27th, 2013 at 10:14 pm
    Dr_robert Says:
    May 27th, 2013 at 10:10 pm
    Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    May 27th, 2013 at 9:05 pm
    Evolution, by strict scientific protocols, is a theory.
    As is gravity. We do not know why gravity is. Found no gravitons in our most powerful particle accelerators. And we have been looking. The elusive ‘unified field theory’ that Einstein spent most of his life in search of.
    Electricity is also’theory’. We know how electrons move in conductors and semiconductors and which way they flow, but not really why.
    Do we accept and use all of our empirical observations of gravity? Yes.
    Do we accept and use the same with electricity? Yes.
    ************
    We use what we see. It doesn’t mean we understand it.

Gravity is invisible. Magic.

Electricity is invisible. Magic.

Ideas and thoughts are invisible. Magic.

God is invisible. Magic.

==============================================

Except that gravity and electricity can easily be shown to exist through simple, repeatable experiments that do not require you to “believe” or “open your heart” to anything.

As for comparing God to ideas, you are correct. God is an idea. A false idea.
    ********
    Gravity and electricity are not facts. They are things we think we understand based on observation.

Observation shows much evidence of a design to the world. A creator.

U pretend to believe in science but say God is a false idea regardless of evidence.

That’s not science. That’s ur own predisposition.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

What’s up nation?
    Had a great day today. Took the family to cuyamaca state park, Julian mountain, and Anza borrego state park.
    I love CA.

RediaR Says:
    May 27th, 2013 at 10:25 pm
    *******
    Faulty logic.

All man made systems are man made.

But not all systems are man made systems.

Man did not make the seasons.

Seasons are systematic, not random.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

ENGLANDRAIDER Says:
    =======================================================

Thought he implemented the ‘wild tortoise’ we ran with Palmer last year.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

And we went to borrego springs visiting center. We didnt see any Bighorn sheep but we saw deer.

• rediaR

Dr_robert Says:
    May 27th, 2013 at 10:32 pm
    RediaR Says:
    May 27th, 2013 at 10:25 pm
    *******
    Faulty logic.
    ——————-
    I know.

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    May 27th, 2013 at 10:14 pm

As for comparing God to ideas, you are correct. God is an idea. A false idea.
    ************
    U don’t realize what u just said.

The very fact that gravity and electricity are repeatable suggests order, not chaos.

Order is design.

Design means a designer.

A designer means a Creator.

A Creator means God.

RediaR Says:
    May 27th, 2013 at 10:35 pm
    Dr_robert Says:
    May 27th, 2013 at 10:32 pm
    RediaR Says:
    May 27th, 2013 at 10:25 pm
    *******
    Faulty logic.
    ——————-
    I know.
    *******
    Well ok then (Raising Arizona)

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

What up O? Raider CB #39 is Mitchell White from Michigan State. You a fan?

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Religion?
    Must be a slow day.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Lol Llama Man. I hate everything from/ about the state of Mich but my hate for Mich is special since I’m a buckeyes fan.
    I hate Mich state too but not as much as mich, but I forgive them when they become Raiders.

Damn you mich!

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Raider O Says:
    I love CA.
    And borrego springs visiting center.
    =====================================================

Ca. is awesome. Some Hollywood locaton scout said ‘Give me a setting anywhere on earth, and I’ll find a perfect match or something very close to it somewhere in California.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

O, I was talkinf about;
    And it went like this.

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    May 27th, 2013 at 7:36 pm

You’re welcome. I hope you bookmarked it. I go there all the time. An being able to sort by name(default), number, position, height, weight, age, and experience is very cool. Click it again and it reverses order.

When you’re looking at OTA and training camp pic’s, having that list sorted by number is very useful. For me anyway. I’m like,’who the hell is #39?’
    - – - – - – - —– -

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    May 27th, 2013 at 7:40 pm

pulled #39 out of thin air. That’s Mitchell White, CB rookie out of Michigan State. 5′11, 184, and Im sure Raider O is a big fan.

• manassamauler

May 27th, 2013 at 10:35 pm

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    May 27th, 2013 at 10:14 pm

As for comparing God to ideas, you are correct. God is an idea. A false idea.
    ************
    U don’t realize what u just said.

Order is design.

Design means a designer.

A designer means a Creator.

A Creator means God.

>> come on man don’t derail the blog with religious talk, once you start this kind of topic it can go on for days.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    May 27th, 2013 at 10:47 pm
    Raider O Says:
    I love CA.
    And borrego springs visiting center.
    =====================================================

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Dude… You can surf an ocean, play in the desert, and then go skiing/ snowboarding (big bear) in the same day. That’s special.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Raider O Says:
    Religion?
    Must be a slow day.
    =====================================================

My fault. I said;
    … ‘Same kids, different lifestyle.
    Whether or not you accept evolution, human physiology hasn’t changed one damn bit in the last 50 years.’

I later said,’Uh oh. I sense a totally unproductive ‘discussion’ commencing. Let’s not, and say we did.’
    Obviously to no avail.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

lol llama man. Don’t get too excited. He is an understated rookie from Mich State. I’ll be surprised if he can sign his name. He probably had to fingerprint his contract.

• Buckeyeraider

How ya doin Mr. Raider O?

Been awhile. Nothing official but Kirk Herbstreit on BSPN had OSU @ No 2 behind only Alabama on their 100 days til kickoff piece.

3rd ranked class of recruits coming into Columbus. If not this year, then definitely next… Urban Meyer will have OSU challenging Nick Saban and Alabama for supremacy in college football.

Big Reggie will have the Silver&Black back in contention and all will be right in the universe.

Go Bucks!
    Legalize it! and Just Win, Baby!

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

“Where Eagles Dare” starting on AMC if you’re not doing anything for the next three and a half hours.
    1969 Richard Burton/Clint Eastwood in a Alistair McClain vehicle. WWII, commando’s, etc. Good flick.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

I see. Aren’t we bigger than people from the 60′s?

Manassamauler Says:
    May 27th, 2013 at 10:54 pm
    May 27th, 2013 at 10:35 pm

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    May 27th, 2013 at 10:14 pm

As for comparing God to ideas, you are correct. God is an idea. A false idea.
    ************
    U don’t realize what u just said.

Order is design.

Design means a designer.

A designer means a Creator.

A Creator means God.

*******
    We will rest on the 7th day.

• dr_robert

I started on “Dr. No” last night and will finish tonite. To be followed by “From Russia with Love” and “Goldfinger”.

I’ve never really sat given and watched them beginning to end.

• BarstowRaider

Just watched the digitally remastered original Star Wars. Still think Darth Vader should have been our HC when Al offered him the job.

• manassamauler

Raider O Says:
    May 27th, 2013 at 11:08 pm

I see. Aren’t we bigger than people from the 60’s?

>> Americans are packing a lot more fat today. go to an antique shop and look at vinatge furniture from the 50s,60s. WAY SMALLER

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Buckeyeraider!!!
    I’m great sir. How are you? It’s been a while.
    We were undefeated last year, and we should have played/ destroyed ND. I think we will play in the national CS this year. Braxton miller will be better, and B Roby and Shazier are playing for the draft. Great year.
    Go Buckeyes!
    Legalize it!
    Damn you Mich!

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Manassamauler Says:
    May 27th, 2013 at 11:17 pm
    Raider O Says:
    May 27th, 2013 at 11:08 pm

I see. Aren’t we bigger than people from the 60’s?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Talking about height too. Not just weight. I think we are 2″ taller than people from the 60s.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Raider O Says:
    May 27th, 2013 at 11:08 pm

I see. Aren’t we bigger than people from the 60’s?
    =======================================================

We’re tending to get taller thru better nutrition, yes. But that wasn’t my point. Which I didn’t paste.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist
  • dr_robert

Perhaps evolution doesn’t take millions of years after all.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Avg height in the 60′s was 5’9, now it’s 5’11, but that could be due to nutrition. Evolution takes time. 50 years is not enough time to notice evolution.

• rediaR

May 27th, 2013 at 10:35 pm

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    May 27th, 2013 at 10:14 pm

As for comparing God to ideas, you are correct. God is an idea. A false idea.
    ************
    U don’t realize what u just said.

Order is design.

Design means a designer.

A designer means a Creator.

A Creator means God.
    ———————–
    Quite a few jumped conclusions there.

• manassamauler

rediaR Says:
    May 27th, 2013 at 11:32 pm

May 27th, 2013 at 10:35 pm

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    May 27th, 2013 at 10:14 pm

As for comparing God to ideas, you are correct. God is an idea. A false idea.
    ************
    U don’t realize what u just said.

Order is design.

Design means a designer.

A designer means a Creator.

A Creator means God.
    ———————–
    Quite a few jumped conclusions there.

>> just hand the time you’re going to waste on that subject and give to me.

• manassamauler

> just hand the time you’re going to waste on that subject and give to me.

>> hand the time over to me. thats what i was trying to say. fail

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

manassamauler Says:

> just hand the time you’re going to waste on that subject and give to me.

>> hand the time over to me. thats what i was trying to say. fail
    ======================================================

Hopefully that means you’ve had a good day.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Raider O Says:
    May 27th, 2013 at 11:28 pm
    Avg height in the 60’s was 5′9, now it’s 5′11, but that could be due to nutrition. Evolution takes time. 50 years is not enough time to notice evolution.
    ********
    Evolution as theorized by Darwin.

But obviously significant changes can happen relatively rapidly.

As duck noted earlier, spontaneous change has been observed.

The Theory of Evolution is flawed because it may not account for what actual evolution exists.

It has limited scope.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

My dad was 6′+. My brother, 6’1+. I’m 5’10.
    Always bucking the trend.

• dr_robert

In the tenth grade, I was in biology and the book we were using emphasized that the cell was the building block of all life.

It immediately occurred to me that this was a rather grand claim and it should have really said life that we know of.

But I understood it to mean just that.

But soon it occurred to me to ask about viruses.

They were not cellular but exhibited some but not all characteristics if a life form.

The teacher said “Well that’s an exception that we don’t fully understand yet.”

So I knew that what they were presenting as fact was not and their understanding of the subject was limited.

Always question what is accepted as fact.

• oklahomaRaider18

we should get a new post tomorrow!!!!