3,259

Brown: Woodson can right some wrongs

Some interesting observations from former Raiders wide receiver Tim Brown Thursday night as he was inducted into the Bay Area Sports Hall of Fame.

Brown was a teammate of Charles Woodson, who returned to the Raiders Tuesday as a free agent, and also a fellow Heisman Trophy winner. When they played together, Brown was the consummate family man while Woodson was single and more of a man-about-town, someone who came to play on Sundays but wasn’t necessarily as involved Monday through Saturday.

Yet Brown, in a late-January conversation, never had any issue with Woodson because he came to play every Sunday.

Dan Brown of the San Jose Mercury News/Bay Area News Group caught up with Brown at the BASHOF ceremonies Tuesday night and this is how Tim Brown reacted to Woodson’s return to Oakland:

“I think it’s great. I think for C-Wood, it was probably the only move that he could have made. Once you get up there in age, you saw what Urlacher did. He just said, ‘I don’t want to put on another jersey.’

“I think when you get up there in age, you want look around and say, ‘OK, I have to go some place where I’m comfortable. Because I’m not trying to learn new people at 36 y’ears old.’ That’s why I chose to be with (Jon) Gruden because it was someone I knew and there were five or six players that I knew very well. So it was a comfortable environment for me.

”For him, coming back here is going to be great. He has a chance to kind of right some of those wrongs that he had while he was here. I don’t know if he was the leader back then that he ended up being in Green Bay. So now he gets to come back here and fix everything he needs to fix and go out on a high level.”

Brown, who has been denied in his first three attempts at the Pro Football Hall of Fame, conceded he hadn’t given much thought about the signifcance of the Bay Area Sports Hall of Fame until given some perspective.

“Initially, I’m like, “OK. All right.” Because at that time I was waiting to see about the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

“But somebody who is a baseball fan said, ‘Dude, you’re going to be in a friggin’ Hall of Fame with Willie Mays.” I’m like, ‘Whoa.’ It just sort of changed the whole perspective of what this is about. This is not a football Hall of Fame. This is a Bay Area sports deal. And from that standpoint, we really started to look forward to this night.”

Brown said the selection of Fred Biletnikoff to present him at the ceremony was an easy one.

“To me, it was the only choice. Freddy was, what did I play, 15-16 years with the Raiders, and he saw the whole maturation process,” Brown said. “From struggling coming off my knee injury to being just happy be on the field to wanting to play hard to more to starting to making Pro Bowls and until the end of the 16 years.

“From that standpoint, I needed him to be part of the ceremony tonight. Whatever he’s going to say, he’s going to say because it’s not or ever was about his words. It’s just about him being part of the ceremony.”

Brown’s most cherished moment as a Raider?

“I think for me it was making it to the Super Bowl. We always felt it was us versus the world,” Brown said. “Us winning 12 games felt like winning 20 games. So I think to overcome everything we needed to overcome and still make it there was quite a moment of accomplishment on all of our parts.”

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• Try Some Reality

May 27th, 2013 at 11:28 pm
    Avg height in the 60’s was 5′9, now it’s 5′11, but that could be due to nutrition. Evolution takes time. 50 years is not enough time to notice evolution.

==============================================

There is a thing called selective breeding too. Take a look at the Japanese and how their women have become bigger chested over the years, becoming more like American women.

So it may not be that people are becoming taller, but rather that women are choosing to breed with taller dudes.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    May 27th, 2013 at 11:49 pm
    My dad was 6′+. My brother, 6′1+. I’m 5′10.
    Always bucking the trend.
    $$$$$$$$$$$

The Trend is Not your friend.

• Try Some Reality

So I knew that what they were presenting as fact was not and their understanding of the subject was limited.

=============================================

What’s taught as science sometimes makes me laugh. My university biology teacher explained things as fact that had not yet been proven. It’s a trip.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Natural breeding? Is that the same as natural selection?

• dr_robert

Try Some Reality Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 12:01 am

=============================================

********
    Yep

• dr_robert

RediaR Says:
    May 27th, 2013 at 11:32 pm
    dr_robert Says:
    May 27th, 2013 at 10:35 pm

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    May 27th, 2013 at 10:14 pm

Except that gravity and electricity can easily be shown to exist through simple, repeatable experiments that do not require you to “believe” or “open your heart” to anything.

As for comparing God to ideas, you are correct. God is an idea. A false idea.
    ************
    U don’t realize what u just said.

The very fact that gravity and electricity are repeatable suggests order, not chaos.

Order is design.

Design means a designer.

A designer means a Creator.

A Creator means God.
    ———————–
    Quite a few jumped conclusions there.
    ********
    Like?

• lefty12

George Carlin explains god and religion @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPOfurmrjxo

• lefty12

If you can’t get that site,go to youtube,enter George Carlin and watch his God and Religion segment.He explains things perfectly.

• Orthodoxdj

Lefty,

I’m a Christian. I believe Christianity is not only true, but also that competing religions and philosophies fail to adequately explain life and reality as they actually are. If you want to mock, feel free. If you are interested in GENUINE discussion, even debate, then I’m ready to address in detail every objection and question you have. If I do not feel that I have an answer, I will tell you. I will also point you to people who specialize in areas relating to the questions and objections you have. I have a degree in religious studies and I teach both at the high school and college levels.

My assumption is that you pop off about “religion” on a football blog because you don’t really care about truth; after all, who on a football blog will be willing to take your “objections” seriously? And who on a football blog that pops off about these things really cares to go deep into the issues?

If you’re serious, email me: merechristianradio@gmail.com

Chances are you don’t really care, which is why no one should take you and your objections seriously.

• lefty12

Actually the only reason I posted those comments is this is a football blog and a couple of people have been going on for hours discussing religion and evolution.I would not care to discuss the topic with you or anyone on here because I have my beliefs,you have yours.I wouldn’t try and shove my feelings down your throat and I wouldn’t want you to do it to me.

• lefty12

Also,George Carlin’s take might be more truthful than yours.

• BlondTigerCage

3112th Ya…

• BlondTigerCage

Who’s got the best 140 character question for S. Cork???

Also… some one tell him to get a camera with a good lens. Those phone pics are just a frustrating waist of time.

• 0ak r8rs

As if two hours last night on the alleged weights of OL and DL from the 70s, 80s, 90s and today wasn’t boring enough. I see I missed a 4 hour diatribe on religion now. Fortunately, I had nothing to add to either conversation, but at least one mattered to me. OL and DL.

• http://www.safc.com/the-club/stadium/about-the-stadium-of-light neilb

75 days till pre-season…..

• http://www.safc.com/the-club/stadium/about-the-stadium-of-light neilb

……..sucks.

think we’ll hit 4,000 comments today before Corkran posts anything about OTA’s?

• Just Fire Baby

So what will be the massive overreaction today due to camp tweets?

-Could be TP looking sharp, followed by the brigade annointing him the starter after today.

-Hayden getting burnt, and the Reggie haters mocking the draft pick.

-Sparano yelling at players, followed by claims he is already the de facto HC.

-Jacoby Ford showing great “burst” and the claims of him being our top weapon this year.

Feel free to add to the list

• 0ak r8rs

Just Fire Baby Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 5:18 am
    So what will be the massive overreaction today due to camp tweets?

-Hayden getting burnt, and the Reggie haters mocking the draft pick.

-Sparano yelling at players, followed by claims he is already the de facto HC.

Feel free to add to the list

@@@@@@@@@@@@@

TP. It’s always about TP. After that it will be racism and religion. 3 subjects that I expect will have very little to do w the Raiders starting lineups this year.

• Just Fire Baby

It’s always about TP. After that it will be racism and religion.

*************************

Well, if we can get TP’s take on racism and religion then we can have a real doozy!!!!

• guest123

Happy “short week” Tuesday everyone.

Truth is short weeks tend to be the longest work weeks, and I don’t know why??

• guest123

What if TP were white? Imagine that.

• Just Fire Baby

I get to spend this afternoon in jail.

Working with the corrections officers and their retirement, lol.

• guest123

Tell the officer, go directly to jail. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.

• guest123

13.76 percent returns on last 12 months. Can’t complain. Always seem to hear a lot of doom and gloom, pull your money from the market stories when things are going well. Things are going too well to pull out now.

• hwnrdr

Good Morning Nation!!!
    Nothing new…really? Jerry kept tweeting bout nothing really all weekend…oh well!

• Just Fire Baby

******************************

If your a trader, got to pull the trigger near the top. “Never go broke taking a profit” as they say in the business.

If your not a trader but a long-term guy, grip it and rip it.

(And don’t listen to the gold hawkers on the radio and TV)

• guest123

If your not a trader but a long-term guy, grip it and rip it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

this is me. it’s hard to watch it evaporate on the downslopes, but I’ve been playing with house money for awhile now. at least that’s my rationalization I’m going with.

• guest123

Useless bit of info of the day.

Fact:

If you go any page on Wikipedia, and keep clicking the first hyperlinked word in the article that is not in italics or inside parentheses, and keep repeating, eventually you’ll be taken to the page for “Philosophy”.

Example: Lily Carter > stage name > pseudonym > name > personal name > proper name > noun > part of speech > grammar > linguistics > scientific > knowledge > facts > proven > sufficient > logic > reasoning > consciously > subjectivity > Philosophy

It all goes back to “Philosophy”

• http://www.actionext.com/playlist_57486.html La Milicia Negra

Guest 123..

I appreciate that useless info, I will use it next time im drunk and want to say something clever but can’t =]

• Just Fire Baby

This McGee guy is my candidate for first “fight” in camp.

• guest123

more useless info for your Tuesday Morning:

It takes two to make the thing go right…

It takes two to make it outta sight…

• hwnrdr

3132.guest123 Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 6:53 am
    more useless info for your Tuesday Morning:

It takes two to make the thing go right…

It takes two to make it outta sight…

Nice…Rob Base in da house!

• SnBG

Good morning all!

• irjonny

Just Fire Baby Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 5:18 am
    So what will be the massive overreaction today due to camp tweets?

-Hayden getting burnt, and the Reggie haters mocking the draft pick.

-Sparano yelling at players, followed by claims he is already the de facto HC.

Feel free to add to the list

————————————–

-Woodson not practicing and the claims he’s washed up or too old

-TP working with the 2nd team because everyone hates his skin color

• SnBG

0ak R8rs Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 5:26 am
    Just Fire Baby Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 5:18 am
    So what will be the massive overreaction today due to camp tweets?

-Hayden getting burnt, and the Reggie haters mocking the draft pick.

-Sparano yelling at players, followed by claims he is already the de facto HC.

Feel free to add to the list

@@@@@@@@@@@@@

””””””””””””””””””””””’
    So true, so true

• guest123

Nice…Rob Base in da house!

^^^^^^
    one-two-three….get loose now!

• SnBG

Irjonny Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 7:15 am
    Just Fire Baby Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 5:18 am
    So what will be the massive overreaction today due to camp tweets?

-Hayden getting burnt, and the Reggie haters mocking the draft pick.

-Sparano yelling at players, followed by claims he is already the de facto HC.

Feel free to add to the list

————————————–

-Woodson not practicing and the claims he’s washed up or too old

-TP working with the 2nd team because everyone hates his skin color
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    DA doesn’t yell at the players enough because he isn’t fiery enough so fire him now.

FIRE REGGIE NOW. FIRE REGGIE NOW.

You’re a moron,,,no you’re a idiot,,Fk off,,,,,no you fk off.

I’m the real Dr_R,,,no you’re not. I am.

• DJ Johnny

guest123 Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 7:21 am
    Nice…Rob Base in da house!

^^^^^^
    one-two-three….get loose now!

“I’m not internationally known, but i’m magic on the micro-phone”.

• Twinkle

Morning Nation.

.3139
    Good post there SnBG.So rather than conform and due to the memorial weekend I thought this might be pertinent.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

0ak r8rs Says:
    ..I see I missed a 4 hour diatribe on religion…
    ========================================================

Discourse. It was only a diatribe by the other side of whatever side one’s on.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Good Morning Raider Nation!!!
    Es un hermoso día para ser un aficionado de los Raiders, ¿no es así?

• SnBG

Yesterday I had a debate with several posters about game managing QBs.I said only 4 game managing QBs have won the SB. Others disagreed and said more have won the SB. I think we have differing opinios as to what a game managing QB is. He’s mine. A non-star quarterback on a winning team may be called a game manager if he avoids making mistakes that prevent his team’s defense and rushing offenses from succeeding.
    What’s yours.

• guest123

Es un hermoso día para ser un aficionado de los Raiders, ¿no es así?

Claro que si!

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Mitchell White, CB rookie from Michigan State, picks off all 3 QB’s.

• guest123

Watching my 6 yo son’s favorite show, the Octonauts. They had a show on the humuhumunukunukuapua’a fish.

I had never heard that outside of this blog. (some good knowledge to be gained in here) Got a chuckle out of that.

• DJ Johnny

SnBG, My definition of “game manager” is a QB who executes the fundamentals, makes few mistakes, doesn’t take risks like throwing into double coverage…if the play isn’t there he throws it out of bounds.

He’s not gonna do anything spectacular, but adequately runs the offense.

He’s not gonna get you the first down on a 3rd and 20, he’s just gonna get you in better position for the punter…that kind of stuff.

• Twinkle

JFB…..you left out ‘politics’ as one of our favorites here.My old man told me once…boy if you’re talking politics or religion you’re either looking for a fight or you’ve not been listening to me: either way a fight is what you’ll get…..with me!

• SnBG

Guest123 Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 7:39 am
    Es un hermoso día para ser un aficionado de los Raiders, ¿no es así?

Claro que si!
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Claro gue si,pero yo estoy listo un ventilador

• guest123

you are getting your venilator ready just in case?