3,259

Brown: Woodson can right some wrongs

Some interesting observations from former Raiders wide receiver Tim Brown Thursday night as he was inducted into the Bay Area Sports Hall of Fame.

Brown was a teammate of Charles Woodson, who returned to the Raiders Tuesday as a free agent, and also a fellow Heisman Trophy winner. When they played together, Brown was the consummate family man while Woodson was single and more of a man-about-town, someone who came to play on Sundays but wasn’t necessarily as involved Monday through Saturday.

Yet Brown, in a late-January conversation, never had any issue with Woodson because he came to play every Sunday.

Dan Brown of the San Jose Mercury News/Bay Area News Group caught up with Brown at the BASHOF ceremonies Tuesday night and this is how Tim Brown reacted to Woodson’s return to Oakland:

“I think it’s great. I think for C-Wood, it was probably the only move that he could have made. Once you get up there in age, you saw what Urlacher did. He just said, ‘I don’t want to put on another jersey.’

“I think when you get up there in age, you want look around and say, ‘OK, I have to go some place where I’m comfortable. Because I’m not trying to learn new people at 36 y’ears old.’ That’s why I chose to be with (Jon) Gruden because it was someone I knew and there were five or six players that I knew very well. So it was a comfortable environment for me.

”For him, coming back here is going to be great. He has a chance to kind of right some of those wrongs that he had while he was here. I don’t know if he was the leader back then that he ended up being in Green Bay. So now he gets to come back here and fix everything he needs to fix and go out on a high level.”

Brown, who has been denied in his first three attempts at the Pro Football Hall of Fame, conceded he hadn’t given much thought about the signifcance of the Bay Area Sports Hall of Fame until given some perspective.

“Initially, I’m like, “OK. All right.” Because at that time I was waiting to see about the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

“But somebody who is a baseball fan said, ‘Dude, you’re going to be in a friggin’ Hall of Fame with Willie Mays.” I’m like, ‘Whoa.’ It just sort of changed the whole perspective of what this is about. This is not a football Hall of Fame. This is a Bay Area sports deal. And from that standpoint, we really started to look forward to this night.”

Brown said the selection of Fred Biletnikoff to present him at the ceremony was an easy one.

“To me, it was the only choice. Freddy was, what did I play, 15-16 years with the Raiders, and he saw the whole maturation process,” Brown said. “From struggling coming off my knee injury to being just happy be on the field to wanting to play hard to more to starting to making Pro Bowls and until the end of the 16 years.

“From that standpoint, I needed him to be part of the ceremony tonight. Whatever he’s going to say, he’s going to say because it’s not or ever was about his words. It’s just about him being part of the ceremony.”

Brown’s most cherished moment as a Raider?

“I think for me it was making it to the Super Bowl. We always felt it was us versus the world,” Brown said. “Us winning 12 games felt like winning 20 games. So I think to overcome everything we needed to overcome and still make it there was quite a moment of accomplishment on all of our parts.”

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• guest123

^^^^^^^

sounds like a Greg Olson offense all right.

• SnBG

DJ Johnny Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 7:44 am
    SnBG, My definition of “game manager” is a QB who executes the fundamentals, makes few mistakes, doesn’t take risks like throwing into double coverage…if the play isn’t there he throws it out of bounds.

He’s not gonna do anything spectacular, but adequately runs the offense.

He’s not gonna get you the first down on a 3rd and 20, he’s just gonna get you in better position for the punter…that kind of stuff.
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    So by you’re definition Starr and Griese could be game managers,,,, which btw, was the main debate,,,but by my definition I would say they are stars and I believe they could have gotten you the first down on a 3rd and 20.

• willy91137

Good morning raider nation 102 day’s till football

********************************** POUND ROCK ************************************

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ 11 ANGRY MEN ????????????????????????????????????? is
    my definition of a quarterback that manages the game he manages to win the game

LOL

• SnBG

SnBG Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 7:48 am
    Guest123 Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 7:39 am
    Es un hermoso día para ser un aficionado de los Raiders, ¿no es así?

Claro que si!
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Claro gue si,pero yo estoy listo un ventilador
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Chistoso,trato de practicar el español sin usar google pero a veces se equivocan. Ventilador por aficionado,loco y chistoso.

• guest123

I still think getting your ventilator ready just in case is a prudent thing to do!

• SnBG

Guest123 Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 8:08 am
    ”””””””””””””””””””
    Mil gracias

• DJ Johnny

I get the impression the majority of the media’s definition of “game manager” qb is a guy who isn’t very good. They seem to throw that out to guys who are not “stars” but who’s team are smart enough and talented enough to run the offense but who rarely make “big” plays.

• Marks hair

can we get a new post? just write tge date of the next mini camp.. come on

• SnBG

SnBG Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 8:11 am
    Guest123 Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 8:08 am
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Como se dice en espanol,,,I’m already. Que ya estoy?

• guest123

Como se dice en espanol,,,I’m already. Que ya estoy?

^^^^^^^^^^

Estoy más puesto que un calcetín!

• SnBG

DJ Johnny Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 8:12 am
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    I could say that’s my definition of a game manager.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

guest123 Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 6:07 am

Useless bit of info of the day.

Fact:

If you go any page on Wikipedia, and keep clicking the first hyperlinked word in the article that is not in italics or inside parentheses, and keep repeating, eventually you’ll be taken to the page for “Philosophy”.

Example: Lily Carter > stage name > pseudonym > name > personal name > proper name > noun > part of speech > grammar > linguistics > scientific > knowledge > facts > proven > sufficient > logic > reasoning > consciously > subjectivity > Philosophy

It all goes back to “Philosophy”
    ======================================================

Amoeba

-Genus
    -Biology
    -Natural science
    -Empirical(went to branches of science)
    -Social science
    -Necessity and sufficiency
    -Logic
    -Reason
    -Connsciousness
    -Subjectivity
    -Philosophy

Thought I was gonna get caught in a repeating cycle with ‘Fact’, but look how quickly that amoeba evolved into a consciousness capable of philosophical thought!

• SnBG

Guest123 Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 8:18 am
    Como se dice en espanol,,,I’m already. Que ya estoy?

^^^^^^^^^^

Estoy más puesto que un calcetín!
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    OK hombre, chistoso, muchas gracias por su ayuda.

love JFB’s bold predictions about OTA’s today..

that’s how it’s done gents!

I’ll give ya three

#1 rookie 7th rounder Brice Butler proves to be our best WR and makes sensational catches all day long. lovers say he’s our new WR1, skeptics caution due to former 7th round offseason star Chaz Schilens

#2 Tony Bergstrom gets a little fiesty and draws praise from the coaches. Makes a few d-liners frustrated and the raider beat writers openly question if we’ve finally got that highly sought after guard to solidify the left side of the OL

#3 Sio Moore has about 5 “would be” sacks and the media doesn’t think it’ll be long before he cracks the starting lineup. none of the beat writers mention it, but the guy he keeps abusing is M Watson

The Charlotte Bobcats have hired Los Angeles Lakers assistant Steve Clifford to become their new coach.

***

thoughts, LA fans?

• jesusraiderjim

“The HUMPTY Dance is your chance to do the hump”

Everybody do the humpty

• hwnrdr

3166.jesusraiderjim Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 8:28 am
    “The HUMPTY Dance is your chance to do the hump”

Everybody do the humpty

LOL, I once got busy in a Burger King Bathroom!

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

guest123 Says:
    What if TP were white? Imagine that.
    =======================================================
    “A time to kill”?

• Marks hair

we dont need those coaches we have dantonis family.. im sure their great…

• dr_robert

SnBG Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 7:23 am
    Irjonny Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 7:15 am
    Just Fire Baby Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 5:18 am
    So what will be the massive overreaction today due to camp tweets?

-Could be TP looking sharp, followed by the brigade annointing him the starter after today.

-Hayden getting burnt, and the Reggie haters mocking the draft pick.

-Sparano yelling at players, followed by claims he is already the de facto HC.

-Jacoby Ford showing great “burst” and the claims of him being our top weapon this year.

Feel free to add to the list

————————————–

-Woodson not practicing and the claims he’s washed up or too old

-TP working with the 2nd team because everyone hates his skin color
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    DA doesn’t yell at the players enough because he isn’t fiery enough so fire him now.

FIRE REGGIE NOW. FIRE REGGIE NOW.

You’re a moron,,,no you’re a idiot,,Fk off,,,,,no you fk off.

I’m the real Dr_R,,,no you’re not. I am.
    ********
    A thousand posts boiled down to one.

• guest123

somebody’s knocking that door…somebody’s ringing the bell…somebody’s knocking that door…somebody’s ringing the bell….do me a favor…open the door…let em in….

brilliant! so logical. someone’s knocking at the door, let em in. awesome stuff. powerful even.

Where does this generation’s ‘artists’ have anything that comes close to that simple clear message?

Pacers looking for ways to even series with Heat

“we’ve got to double LeBron James more” Vogel said

***

LOL @ haters, yeah MVP King James is definately overrated. Pfft!

• jesusraiderjim

Just because you’re not fo real, why ya wanta hurt me still?

Put the petal to the metal and burn rubber on me

TP6 pulls a hammie taking off running in 7 on 7 drills out for week.

• guest123

Don’t mind me this morning. just spitballing stuff today.

• dr_robert

0ak R8rs Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 4:41 am
    As if two hours last night on the alleged weights of OL and DL from the 70s, 80s, 90s and today wasn’t boring enough. I see I missed a 4 hour diatribe on religion now. Fortunately, I had nothing to add to either conversation, but at least one mattered to me. OL and DL.
    ********
    Oh yeah because the convos about politics and taxes keep me interested.

• guest123

LOL @ haters, yeah MVP King James is definately overrated. Pfft!

^^^^^^^^^

Yeah, I heard one of the Pacers saying only God himself is scarier!

• http://www.RAIDERS.com Back-n-Black

Rotoworld

Free agent JaMarcus Russell is reportedly down to 265 pounds.
    When Russell started his latest comeback attempt, he was at 315. Shedding 50 pounds shows the former No. 1 overall pick is committed, but another shot in the NFL still appears highly unlikely. Russell will turn 28 in August and has been out of the league since 2009.
    ………

Too bad he wasn’t at this weight and motivated when he was drafted #1

What could have been… smh

• hwnrdr

3172.RaiderRockstar Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 8:37 am
    Pacers looking for ways to even series with Heat

“we’ve got to double LeBron James more” Vogel said

***

LOL @ haters, yeah MVP King James is definately overrated. Pfft!

LOL…I was laughing at Sunday’s game…when did Miami become Hollywood? Of course, not the reason Indiana lost, but come on now!

8.5 hours until the Heat take a 3-1 series lead. BOOM!

Miami takes it in 5

• guest123

Doesn’t matter if he drops to 225 pounds. His brain will only ever be a few ounces. Can’t fix stupid.

• hwnrdr

3176.guest123 Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 8:38 am
    LOL @ haters, yeah MVP King James is definately overrated. Pfft!

^^^^^^^^^

Yeah, I heard one of the Pacers saying only God himself is scarier!

Wasn’t that Paul George?

• SnBG

Guest123 Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 8:36 am

”””””””””””””””””’
    no lo suficientemente inteligente como para entender la canción

• dr_robert

Observations by media today:
    Flynn takes #1 reps.
    Wilson flashes skills.
    Pryor struggles with inconsistency.

Conclusions by Pryor Brigade:
    Flynn is trade bait.
    Wilson is capable backup at best.
    Somehow Pryor is our best option.

And of course:
    The media are racist.

Can’t fix stupid.

***

LOL, G123

what if JaMarcus didn’t have purple drank or sleep apnea? or weight problems?

he would still stink on the football field, but he’d still win more games for Oakland than Carson Palmer

• Marks hair

kobe was always doubled or triple teamed… so was mj.. its about time lebron stepped up and forced Indiana to adapt..

• RaiderDebo

SnBG Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 7:38 am
    Yesterday I had a debate with several posters about game managing QBs.I said only 4 game managing QBs have won the SB. Others disagreed and said more have won the SB. I think we have differing opinios as to what a game managing QB is. He’s mine. A non-star quarterback on a winning team may be called a game manager if he avoids making mistakes that prevent his team’s defense and rushing offenses from succeeding.
    What’s yours.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Being the QB on a winning team makes you a star QB. Ever heard of Joe Flacco?

@Hwnrdr

LeBron is gonna clown Boy George again, for the 4th straight time.

LBJ has that eye of the tiger. He won’t be stopped

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Back-n-Black Says:

Too bad he wasn’t at this weight and motivated when he was drafted #1

What could have been… smh
    ===================================================

Still not convinced it could have been, not at the NFL level. Seemed like a really nice guy, though.

• guest123

LBJ has that eye of the tiger. He won’t be stopped

^^^^^^^^^^

“eye of the tiger!”

yeah!

• J Hill

I’d LOVE for the talk of OTAs to be the WRs.

And of course 20 looking explosive.

• SnBG

RaiderDebo Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 8:45 am
    SnBG Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 7:38 am
    What’s yours.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Being the QB on a winning team makes you a star QB. Ever heard of Joe Flacco?
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Flacco isn’t a game manager

@Marks hair

so you’re saying nobody ever doubles LeBron?

LOL.. where have you been?

Indy prides themselves on single man. plus George is one of the best defensive players in the league.

nobody can handle King James, son!

he already has a legacy.. he’s just building on it now

• guest123

no lo suficientemente inteligente como para entender la canción

^^^^^^^^^^^^

es muy sencillo hermano. permiten a todos entrar por la puerta. no odiar a nadien.

• J Hill

LeBron is gonna clown Boy George again, for the 4th straight time.

————————————————————

I’d say LBJ 1 – George 1

Game 1 was a draw, imo. George has been the breakout player of the playoffs, imo.

We all knew LBJ was a STUD.

But George is a BEAST.

Game 2 bang on LeBron and Birdman was the best play of the playoffs.

• dr_robert

RaiderRockstar Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 8:44 am
    Can’t fix stupid.

***

LOL, G123

what if JaMarcus didn’t have purple drank or sleep apnea? or weight problems?

*********
    Ah. The perfect example of the stupidity of Palmer bashing.

The 4k passer wasn’t as good as Russell.

Smh.

@Jhill

nobody can lay a finger on DMAC right now. Shouldn’t he look like the best player on the field?

not to mention the entire offense revolves around him. Reggie & Dennis scrapped last year’s system because it didn’t suit him … even though it suited other players just fine

I’d be very concerned if McFadden isn’t an absolute beast right up until Preseason

• RaiderDebo

SnBG Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 8:48 am
    RaiderDebo Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 8:45 am
    SnBG Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 7:38 am
    What’s yours.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Being the QB on a winning team makes you a star QB. Ever heard of Joe Flacco?
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Flacco isn’t a game manager

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Never said he was, although I don’t think it’s a bad thing. My point is that he’s only considered a superstar because of his team’s success. He’s never made a Pro Bowl or thrown for 4K yards. Teams make QBs. Always have, always will.

• guest123

^^^^^^^^

@ Rock,

Brice Butler will be overhyped based on a few plays in shorts and many will fall for the bait.

Bergstrom will be given the opportunity to start, but who knows if he will ever be more than a platoon guy.

and finally,

I love me some Sio Moore too, but don’t be picking on my boy Melenik, who’s going to be a stud RT for us this year, you are thinking Moore makes a fool out of Barnes, not Watson.

• Marks hair

theres no such thing as a game manager.. unless you mean the coach

• hwnrdr

3192.RaiderRockstar Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 8:49 am
    @Marks hair

so you’re saying nobody ever doubles LeBron?

LOL.. where have you been?

nobody can handle King James, son!

he already has a legacy.. he’s just building on it now