Brown: Woodson can right some wrongs

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Thursday, May 23rd, 2013 at 11:23 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Some interesting observations from former Raiders wide receiver Tim Brown Thursday night as he was inducted into the Bay Area Sports Hall of Fame.

Brown was a teammate of Charles Woodson, who returned to the Raiders Tuesday as a free agent, and also a fellow Heisman Trophy winner. When they played together, Brown was the consummate family man while Woodson was single and more of a man-about-town, someone who came to play on Sundays but wasn’t necessarily as involved Monday through Saturday.

Yet Brown, in a late-January conversation, never had any issue with Woodson because he came to play every Sunday.

Dan Brown of the San Jose Mercury News/Bay Area News Group caught up with Brown at the BASHOF ceremonies Tuesday night and this is how Tim Brown reacted to Woodson’s return to Oakland:

“I think it’s great. I think for C-Wood, it was probably the only move that he could have made. Once you get up there in age, you saw what Urlacher did. He just said, ‘I don’t want to put on another jersey.’

“I think when you get up there in age, you want look around and say, ‘OK, I have to go some place where I’m comfortable. Because I’m not trying to learn new people at 36 y’ears old.’ That’s why I chose to be with (Jon) Gruden because it was someone I knew and there were five or six players that I knew very well. So it was a comfortable environment for me.

”For him, coming back here is going to be great. He has a chance to kind of right some of those wrongs that he had while he was here. I don’t know if he was the leader back then that he ended up being in Green Bay. So now he gets to come back here and fix everything he needs to fix and go out on a high level.”

Brown, who has been denied in his first three attempts at the Pro Football Hall of Fame, conceded he hadn’t given much thought about the signifcance of the Bay Area Sports Hall of Fame until given some perspective.

“Initially, I’m like, “OK. All right.” Because at that time I was waiting to see about the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

“But somebody who is a baseball fan said, ‘Dude, you’re going to be in a friggin’ Hall of Fame with Willie Mays.” I’m like, ‘Whoa.’ It just sort of changed the whole perspective of what this is about. This is not a football Hall of Fame. This is a Bay Area sports deal. And from that standpoint, we really started to look forward to this night.”

Brown said the selection of Fred Biletnikoff to present him at the ceremony was an easy one.

“To me, it was the only choice. Freddy was, what did I play, 15-16 years with the Raiders, and he saw the whole maturation process,” Brown said. “From struggling coming off my knee injury to being just happy be on the field to wanting to play hard to more to starting to making Pro Bowls and until the end of the 16 years.

“From that standpoint, I needed him to be part of the ceremony tonight. Whatever he’s going to say, he’s going to say because it’s not or ever was about his words. It’s just about him being part of the ceremony.”

Brown’s most cherished moment as a Raider?

“I think for me it was making it to the Super Bowl. We always felt it was us versus the world,” Brown said. “Us winning 12 games felt like winning 20 games. So I think to overcome everything we needed to overcome and still make it there was quite a moment of accomplishment on all of our parts.”

• SnBG

Guest123 Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 8:49 am
    no lo suficientemente inteligente como para entender la canción

^^^^^^^^^^^^

es muy sencillo hermano. permiten a todos entrar por la puerta. no odiar a nadien.
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Te conocí cuando lo suficientemente inteligente

@Dr Bob

I can’t tell the difference between you and your troll. Is that weird? I think they’re both you and you’re just trying to get attention by talking to yourself. sad

Anyways, we’re talking about wins & losses. JaMarcus trumps Carson (in Oakland) in that category.

Dont change the subject to passing yards or completion percentage. Palmer isn’t a winner and that is all non-biased Raider fans care about.

Russell had much worse upper management, coaching and supporting cast than PALMERROR ever had to deal with and JR was 10 years younger than him

Same sample size. 25 starts. JaWalrus wins. sorry bud

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Steve Corkran ‏@CorkOnTheNFL 11h

#Raiders OTA on Tuesday morning, with media granted access. Tweets and Twitpics from the field, beginning at 9:45 a.m. PDT. Don’t oversleep.
    =====================================================

Funny, coming from Cork the Negligent.

• hwnrdr

Looking forward to a good game though tonight!

• Thec

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 8:57 am
    Steve Corkran ‏@CorkOnTheNFL 11h

=====================================================

Funny, coming from Cork the Negligent.

+++++++==

Right…some 3200 post later…lol

• dr_robert

RaiderRockstar Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 8:56 am
    @Dr Bob

Same sample size. 25 starts. JaWalrus wins. sorry bud

***********
    Only simpletons think qbs win or lose games.

This kind if analysis shows it.

@Hwnrdr

I know you don’t hate LeBron or the Heat. I know you don’t root for him or them to fail.

It just so happens you’re a bigger fan or the opposing team every time, every game. lol

you avoid that “hater” label, but not by much.

• Marks hair

did I say nobody ever doubles lebron? no

I said mj and kobe were always doubled in the playoffs.. or tripled.

leron needs to force double teams to win titles. get it?

• willy91137

just watched some videos of the OPA’s

I think the quarterback coach done TP six some good

only seen him throw twice but both times they look like there were on frozen rope

course he had no defensive lineman in his face

• RaiderDebo

RaiderRockstar Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 8:56 am
    @Dr Bob

Same sample size. 25 starts. JaWalrus wins. sorry bud
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Time to shut your pie hole and open your ears Doc Dummy. RRS is giving you an education. I’ll take it a step further. Give me JaMarcus over Palmer in the last 2 minutes of a game 6 days a week and twice on Sunday!

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

I wonder if we could go a whole day without mentioning Palmer or Pryor were it not for RaiderRockstar and Dr_rob?
    They’re responsible for the first mention of either, today.
    Probably not Pryor, still being a Raider and all.
    RR’s need to bash Palmer on any pretext is odd, however.

@Marks Hair

Lakers have won plenty. That’s why you’re a fan.

sit back and enjoy the ride. Somebody elses turn this year. Heat Champs x2.

for all the gum flapping you LA fans did after you acquired Howard & Nash, then got swept in the playoffs.. you sure don’t show any class

• Thec

Willy91137 Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 9:02 am
    just watched some videos of the OPA’s

I think the quarterback coach done TP six some good

course he had no defensive lineman in his face

+++++++++=

You need to put a link up for the Pryor worshipers.
    Give them some hope.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

RaiderDebo Says:
    =======================================================

Gladly. Just not on the team I’m rooting for.

• dr_robert

The accusation of my arguing with myself is so stupid it’s beyond comprehension.

The absolute last explanation that ur brain should come up with.

MR is renowned for being an impostor.

He’s a buffoon.

Interesting that the moment someone mentions Russell, debo shows up. And he’s rarely here.

• guest123

Hey Rock,

Just for you, I’m eating leftover fried chicken for lunch, and man is is it good. Gonna have to swab down the keyboard.

@Purv

did you get that red Palmer jersey, yet?

• hwnrdr

3207.RaiderRockstar Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 9:00 am
    @Hwnrdr

you avoid that “hater” label, but not by much.

LOL, alright you got me! :)
    Seriously, I hate Chalmers and I used to hate Battier, but he cracks me up now…and I never cared for the Birdman, but if LeBron, wade and Bosh carries them to another trophy, then respect is always deserved! It’s like Kenny Smith said after game 1…sometimes you have to just shake the man’s hand!

@G123

yeah buddy! I had fried chicken a few nights ago. awesome. you’d better pound down that veggie smoothie later on though. good habits are easy to break :P

• Thec

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 9:04 am

++++++===

Not sure it is possible. Both players are polarizing lighting rods on this blog.

Example, some guy who has not posted in months will get a flashback and post something regarding either of the 2, and away we go.

• dr_robert

RaiderDebo Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 9:03 am
    RaiderRockstar Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 8:56 am
    @Dr Bob

Same sample size. 25 starts. JaWalrus wins. sorry bud
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

*********
    Lol. Stupidity personified.

• willy91137

I wonder if we could go a whole day about Dr. Roberts trying to be somebody else

trying to convince us that somebody else is using his name

it’s getting so old on and on and on our you trying to tell us who you really are

I think you are poor sad little man behind a keyboard trying to be something

• Thec

RaiderRockstar Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 9:06 am
    @Purv

did you get that red Palmer jersey, yet?

+++++++=

Is he a fan of the azcards????

• guest123

^^^^^^^^^

I thought it was Charles Barkley who said that. “if you can take 6 of those from me, I’m a gonna shake your hand after the game!”.

Then TNT showed Charles getting elbowed in the ribs and splaying on the ground crying like a schoolgirl. LOL

@Thec

what is JFORD gonna do today?

is he the #1 WR, yet?

if you don’t count Cribbs, smurf12 is the veteran of the bunch (eek!)

• Thec

Willy91137 Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 9:09 am

trying to convince us that somebody else is using his name

I think you are poor sad little man behind a keyboard trying to be something

++++++++++

What would be good is to know which one of the posters is
    Corkran, Mcdonald, Becker, Kawakami, and the other professional media types.

• dr_robert

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 9:04 am
    They’re responsible for the first mention of either, today.
    Probably not Pryor, still being a Raider and all.
    RR’s need to bash Palmer on any pretext is odd, however.
    ********
    U lie quite a bit.

I wasn’t the first to post about Pryor today.

Just Fire Baby Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 5:18 am
    So what will be the massive overreaction today due to camp tweets?

-Could be TP looking sharp, followed by the brigade annointing him the starter after today.

• SaintKaufman

Ugh, I thought I clicked on an old post based on the subject matter. Nope, same sh!t, different post!

• J Hill

———————————————————–

This is ridiculous.

Why would any Laker fan on this board show a bandwagon jumping “fan” like yourself any “class”???

All you do is show your scarred emotions from past Laker beatdowns of years past by talking shhtt about our squad.

Dwight Coward and Steve Trash should have NEVER been Lakers. I said that from DAY ONE!

LeBron is Hollywood all day long. D Wade’s knee is gone. When LeBron takes all of LAs cap room in 2014, what are you going to do then, lol?

• SnBG

Never said he was, although I don’t think it’s a bad thing. My point is that he’s only considered a superstar because of his team’s success. He’s never made a Pro Bowl or thrown for 4K yards. Teams make QBs. Always have, always will.
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    That’s a perceptual idea for the media as to whether a QB is good,great or not.It’s not relevant as to a QB’s talent level. Flacco and the great star QB’s all have talent.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

guest123 Says:
    I love me some Sio Moore too, but don’t be picking on my boy Melenik, who’s going to be a stud RT for us this year, you are thinking Moore makes a fool out of Barnes, not Watson.
    =======================================================

Which leads one to wonder ‘Why the fvck is Willie Smith still on the roster’?

• Thec

RaiderRockstar Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 9:10 am
    @Thec

what is JFORD gonna do today?

is he the #1 WR, yet?

if you don’t count Cribbs, smurf12 is the veteran of the bunch (eek!)

++++++===

Not sure he is a number 1 however, did see a pick of him in OTA’s catch a nice pass in the end zone.

My predictions for no 12;
    1. Comes in works hard and competes.
    2. Play injury free football 2012-13
    3. Ball’s Out

Thus kicking you and all other doubters smooth in the hinterland.

• J Hill

Leftover fried chicken is for amatuers!!!!

The WHOLE POINT is the crispy skin. Leftovers = soggy skin = no bueno.

***

Ouch, Jhill!

I saw both players wearing purple & piss yellow. I think you’re the minority in LA fans not wanting either player … until they showed up and started playing games (lol)

by the way,

why are bandwaggon Laker fans the ones that complain about a bandwaggon Heat fan?

• dr_robert

Willy91137 Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 9:09 am

trying to convince us that somebody else is using his name

I think you are poor sad little man behind a keyboard trying to be something
    *********
    Look willy. I don’t know what ur obsession is with me but I’ve been here for 2.5 years.

MR has been signing in as impostors of people for years.

It’s very easy to tell which one is which but who cares.

Ignore what u don’t wanna read.

• J Hill

My predictions for no 12;
    1. Comes in works hard and competes.
    2. Play injury free football 2012-13
    3. Ball’s Out

———————————————————–

2 is BIG.

He’ll be slot smurf all year if that’s the case.

• J Hill

———————————————————–

You’d have to ask a bandwagon Laker fan.

@Thec

your “prediction” is that Ford is 100% healthy from now until next May?

dang bro, that’s almost insane.

I don’t know that he’ll ever defeat Liz Franck or shake that WHEN HEALTHY category

• guest123

J Hill Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 9:16 am
    Leftover fried chicken is for amatuers!!!!

The WHOLE POINT is the crispy skin. Leftovers = soggy skin = no bueno.

^^^^^^^^

What can I say? Eating leftovers is food recycling + refrigerator cleaning = sustainability.

Yeah, skin was a little soggy and microwaved meat does taste a little rubbery, but it hit the spot and cleared out some future garbage out of my crisper tray. And it costed nothing.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

dr_robert Says:

The absolute last explanation that ur brain should come up with.

MR is renowned for being an impostor.
    ========================================================

Not really. He’s known for his sock puppet army, posting under many handles of his own making. Not posing as existing posters. There is a difference.
    Makes for an okay straw man, I guess. Except to those of us who know MR’s style all too well.

• J Hill

I just don’t understand how you can change teams you root for.

Cleveland one year, then the Heat all of a sudden?

You didn’t become a Jags fan when Morrison left.

You are from Northern Cali. You should be a damn Warrior or King fan!

You’d have to ask a bandwagon Laker fan.

***

@Jhill

I just did. All of you bloggers here are.

You’ve just been a bandwaggon fan longer than I have, is the only difference

• RaiderDebo

SnBG Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 9:14 am
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Preaching to the choir. Huge fan of elite talent. That’s why I’m so pissed we dumped JaMarcus. Supreme talent stuck on a shtty team.

• guest123

Which leads one to wonder ‘Why the fvck is Willie Smith still on the roster’?

^^^^^^^

since you’re going down this line of questioning…

“why the fvck is Alex Barron still on the roster”?

• dr_robert

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 9:14 am
    guest123 Says:
    =======================================================

Which leads one to wonder ‘Why the fvck is Willie Smith still on the roster’?
    *********
    The coaches and Reggie liked Willie when they got him. Said they might have gotten a steal cuz he had started some games. Only problem is he was dropped by the team that had started him.

It’s things like that that still make me wonder a bit about their evaluations.

You are from Northern Cali. You should be a damn Warrior or King fan!

***

@Jhill

why didn’t you pick the LA Rams or SD Chargers?

you’re a SoCal guy. Same reason you didn’t pick the Clippers. they weren’t winning!

• J Hill

Yeah, skin was a little soggy and microwaved meat does taste a little rubbery

———————————————————-

LOL

Just peel the skin off and make chicken salad the next time, dogg.

• Thec

+++++++++

From what i have read, he has already divorced her.
    Or maybe it was an annulment, in any event, he will ball out.

• guest123

RaiderDebo Says:

^^^^^^^

LMAO!

@G123

why were OT’s Barron & Smith ever on the roster?

Big Reggie must see something that we don’t!