Rookie CB Hayden hospitalized with abdominal injury — updated

By Steve Corkran
Tuesday, May 28th, 2013 at 12:11 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Rookie cornerback D.J. Hayden is in a local hospital as a result of an abdominal issue, Raiders coach Dennis Allen said Tuesday.
Hayden is expected to miss the remainder of the Raiders offseason workouts and practices, but he should be ready to go again when training camp begins in late July.
A Raiders spokesman said Hayden was admitted to the hospital “late last week” and that he underwent a procedure to clear out scar tissue in his abdomen.
Allen said he isn’t sure whether there’s any correlation between Hayden’s current situation and the ruptured vein Hayden suffered last November during a practice at the University of Houston.
“We can’t rule that out, obviously, but right now I don’t know exactly what the correlation is to it,” Allen said. “But we don’t anticipate it being an issue.”
Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times said via Tweet that Hayden’s doctor in Houston is of the understanding that “this is not related to (the) heart issue” Hayden suffered in November.
Hayden underwent surgery to repair the ruptured vena cava, which supplies blood to the heart from the lower body. He was cleared by doctors to resume football activities last month after surviving an injury that is 95 percent fatal, by some accounts.
Hayden participated in practice last week, when the Raiders began their organized team activities. Allen said Hayden’s symptoms surfaced last Tuesday.
The Raiders selected Hayden with the 12th pick of the 2013 NFL draft. They are counting upon Hayden to crack the starting lineup at some point.
During recent interviews, Hayden said he felt good and that the only time he thinks about the injury he suffered in November is when he gets asked about it.
Allen said Hayden’s absence, combined with a calf injury to cornerback Tracy Porter, leaves the Raiders thin at cornerback and makes it all the more difficult for Hayden to succeed from the outset.
“It’s obviously not a good thing, from a football standpoint,” Allen said. “As a rookie, you need all the reps you can get and all the work you can get.”

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“Hey look it.After you are finished,Slide and let me piss on him huh? Thanks,carpet monkey hater.”

He is a little man scared of his own shadow.
    Like I am going to drive 500 miles to spit on a dirty Arab’s face….LOL

Like I said try coming to a game this year buddy we will see how tough you are then!

You can act all tough saying I am in SD come and get me blah blah….its like hiding behind your mom’s skirt.

You can get away with it for a little while OH feeble one but sooner or later you will pay the piper.

Like I said you better hope you don’t come to a game this year because I will find you in that parking lot!

• 0ak r8rs

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 3:06 pm
    0ak R8rs Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 3:04 pm
    Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 2:59 pm
    0ak R8rs Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 2:54 pm
    Marks Hair Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 2:52 pm
    the best case scenario is him being ok by July like his doctor predicts..

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Not happening.

====================================

You’ve never met Hayden and have no medical training but somehow know more than the board-certified doctors who have examined and operated on him?

Whatever, Spud.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Board certified Drs don’t know shlt about stuff like this.

=======================================

But you do? Where did you attend medical school? Where did you complete your residency? How many years’ experience in Sports Medicine do you have?

@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I never claimed to be a dr. Only a moron wouldn’t see on the surface that this is a huge deal and potentially season ending.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

silver and black pride levi damien

he said wilson looked good last week and wilson threw 1 pick.

tp6 threw one pick today? why isnt he also “looking good”?

damien is not a fan of pryor at all

• nycraider

The challenge is be able to separate the issues:
    Hayden the person- everyone admires him , feels for him , respects his attitude in trying to return. Just wants him to be a healthly human being

Hayden the football player- what a great story if this young man can rebound from almost dying to being a NFL player

Hayden as RM first round pick – it has to work, Reggie claimed to build through the draft, he boasted about his scouting department and his success in GB. he then trades the 3rd pick overall to draft a player whose last time on the football field he almost died and went through major surgery. Many wanted an OL or DL,. Reggie surprised us all . Our team is ranked last in the NFL at DL, WR, TE, and with so many holes we need our 1st round pick to be an impact player. Any signs of this not happening can be very concerning. Yes its way to early to make any final determination. Yes, we will have to cling to hayden being there in July and not letting this set him back. We all hope for the best..its not being negative to hear a GM bank on the draft and have expectations that he will deliver. No one is making a final analysis, but there is a concern when a player with DJ hayden’s circumstance will have spent more time in the hospital then at practice. If he was our 4th round pick we would all have a different attitude. But when you draft at the position we were in there is an expectation of impact on a 4-12 that got rid of almost its entire defensive unit.

• http://www.AmyTraskshouldbeonmountrushmore.com Whats a Drexl?

I must admit that the first thing out of my mouth after WTF, was damn I sure hope this dudes heart doesn’t blow up.

A first, I can’t recall ever thinking that thought after a Raider first round selection. SMH

• SnBG

0ak R8rs Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 3:06 pm
    SnBG Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 3:02 pm
    Is there one real Doctor in the house that could give a real opinion on Hayden. Please,,,a real Doctor only.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@

First, find a real dr that has seen someone survive his injury. Have to go to war vets most likely, since the battlefield is where this injury happens most often as I understand it. Gonna be tough to find that guy. When you do, ask him of any of his surviving patients ever went on to play in the NFL 4 months after it happened? Good luck. Keep me posted.
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    I think a surgeon could tell us plenty. Call Dr Oz. he’ll know.

• SnBG

LondonAl Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 3:11 pm
    Doctor signing in here. I am an A&E doc’ but you’d call it ER. Hayden’s past injury is not normally seen on the sports field. It’s usually a road traffic accident type of injury. I have seen a few bikers killed with the injury he received on the football field. I doubt his present issue is related directly to it. He’ll be playing ball for us this season.
    Go Hayden, Go Raiders!
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    I’ll take it on faith that you’re a real Dr. Thank you for yo’re opinion. Not as bad as all that.

• LondonAl

If Hayden doesn’t play corner this season for us it won’t because of his inferior vena cava injury but due him being unable to make the transition from college to the pros in his first season.
    Trust me, no medical practitioner would have advised the young man to return to a contact sport such as football if he was not fit and healthy. Hayden will be fine health wise.
    As for the injury a stab wound, a 7.62mm bullet, a HE shell blast could all rupture either of the venae cavae but it is mostly car wrecks and motorcycle victims who die from this injury.

• dr_robert

Whats A Drexl? Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 3:06 pm
    dr_robert Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Whats A Drexl? Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 2:47 pm
    “A Raiders spokesman said Hayden was admitted to the hospital “late last week” and that he underwent a procedure to clear out scar tissue in his abdomen”.

Krikey Cork, are you telling me you don’t even have one Raid “source”.
    Oakland Raider beet writer, thats a joke right?
    ********
    Beet writer?

He’s part of the agriculture division?
    =================
    you know what I meant, your just being thick for thick’s sake.

I still say Cork was snoozing at the wheel.
    *******
    I dunno.

Beets me.

• 0ak r8rs

This pick was just so scary on so many levels. And I’m not copping out. I supported it. I figured like many have said…if a Dr or as the case may be, many Drs cleared him, then it must not be a concern, health wise. But it was always a concern psyche wise. And it was always a concern value wise (would have been nice to get more, too bad those two big LTs went one and two), and concerning because we CAN’T miss on picks. I’m still pissed about Nate Stupar last year. I realize nobody is 100% and I don’t expect Reggie to be either. But to miss on a #1. And to hear on top of today that last years “number 1″ (99th overall) wasn’t w the first team. It makes one start to doubt wtf is going on. Burris is the only guy from last year that really contributed at all. Can’t afford that this year. Need more production out of these rookies. Especially #1s.

• ElkGRaider

I’m still pissed about Nate Stupar last year
    ============

A late round pick?!? This dude is crazy…