Rookie CB Hayden hospitalized with abdominal injury — updated

By Steve Corkran
Tuesday, May 28th, 2013 at 12:11 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Rookie cornerback D.J. Hayden is in a local hospital as a result of an abdominal issue, Raiders coach Dennis Allen said Tuesday.
Hayden is expected to miss the remainder of the Raiders offseason workouts and practices, but he should be ready to go again when training camp begins in late July.
A Raiders spokesman said Hayden was admitted to the hospital “late last week” and that he underwent a procedure to clear out scar tissue in his abdomen.
Allen said he isn’t sure whether there’s any correlation between Hayden’s current situation and the ruptured vein Hayden suffered last November during a practice at the University of Houston.
“We can’t rule that out, obviously, but right now I don’t know exactly what the correlation is to it,” Allen said. “But we don’t anticipate it being an issue.”
Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times said via Tweet that Hayden’s doctor in Houston is of the understanding that “this is not related to (the) heart issue” Hayden suffered in November.
Hayden underwent surgery to repair the ruptured vena cava, which supplies blood to the heart from the lower body. He was cleared by doctors to resume football activities last month after surviving an injury that is 95 percent fatal, by some accounts.
Hayden participated in practice last week, when the Raiders began their organized team activities. Allen said Hayden’s symptoms surfaced last Tuesday.
The Raiders selected Hayden with the 12th pick of the 2013 NFL draft. They are counting upon Hayden to crack the starting lineup at some point.
During recent interviews, Hayden said he felt good and that the only time he thinks about the injury he suffered in November is when he gets asked about it.
Allen said Hayden’s absence, combined with a calf injury to cornerback Tracy Porter, leaves the Raiders thin at cornerback and makes it all the more difficult for Hayden to succeed from the outset.
“It’s obviously not a good thing, from a football standpoint,” Allen said. “As a rookie, you need all the reps you can get and all the work you can get.”

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Al_is_theraiders Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 2:41 pm
    a 27 yo second year player who still cant break the lineup despite moving him to an easier position….

========================================

He ran with the first team all last week and part of today. What are you talking about?

And what do you mean “easier position?” He was drafted as a guard, and he’s playing guard. Again: what are you talking about?

• nycraider

if bergdog doesnt start this year he can be considered a bust imo

• Marks hair

man,.. the turd monkeys have explosive diarrhea today…

• Al_is_theraiders

okd man berg was drafted as a rt….$250 season tickets…lol, yeah they arent moving. Way to fire up the base shrek…

• dr_robert

Raider O Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 2:41 pm
    Btw dumb ignorant racist monkey. It’s NOW.
    *******
    Tell us more gay jokes.

And how Jews have a lot of money so they’re aren’t like other minorities

And how “regular racists” (white guys) are worse than minority racists.

And then tell us how intolerant u are of intolerance.

• 0ak r8rs

SnBG Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 2:42 pm
    Yea. And we aren’t the 49ers. We can’t afford to draft guys KNOWING they r gonna be on IR. We didn’t need this kid to be a stud and save this team his rookie year or anything, we r probably winning 4 to 6 games whether he plays or not. But this sniffs of season ending IR or PUP at best. Busted and/or dead before he sees a snap on the NFL at its worst. Regardless, there is no way this can be minimized or my concerns placated. This is a disaster. And I’m not bashing Reggie. Idc about that right now. And I know teams r built in the middle rounds, not at the top. But we can’t afford to miss any picks, and we have missed every number one pick for a decade now, when we have even had one.
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Looks likes a disaster. C’mon man, seriously. Train derails! News at 10!

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Disaster for the Raiders, genius. Obviously the world continues to spin on its axis. This is a football blog. I’m talking about Raider football disasters.

• Al_is_theraiders

old man berg

• http://www.AmyTraskshouldbeonmountrushmore.com Whats a Drexl?

“A Raiders spokesman said Hayden was admitted to the hospital “late last week” and that he underwent a procedure to clear out scar tissue in his abdomen”.

Krikey Cork, are you telling me you don’t even have one Raid “source”.
    Oakland Raider beet writer, thats a joke right?

• manassamauler

Hadens health is more important than chasing a rubber ball around on a field. Little perspective.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Marks Hair Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 2:45 pm
    man,.. the turd monkeys have explosive diarrhea today…
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

LOL
    F…ing Turd Monkeys can’t help themselves.
    Damn you Turd Monkeys!
    Damn you Mich!

• Marks hair

a guy blew out his Achilles on another team, that’s a disaster.. this is missing a few days of jogging around. he can watch

• 0ak r8rs

Nycraider Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 2:44 pm
    if bergdog doesnt start this year he can be considered a bust imo

@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Ditto. Looks like 2 for 2 on our highest draft picks of the year being busts. I’m trying to believe. I really want to. I’ve been a believer in the direction. Today was a VERY BAD day. Hugely disappointing.

• dr_robert

Whats A Drexl? Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Krikey Cork, are you telling me you don’t even have one Raid “source”.
    Oakland Raider beet writer, thats a joke right?
    ********
    Beet writer?

He’s part of the agriculture division?

• PlunkforHOF

How I wish the banning of all Dr Robert(s) was true.

So big Woodson news conference and no post about it?

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Al_is_theraiders Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 2:46 pm

=================================

No, he was drafted as a guard.

From Raiders.com last summer:

“Raiders rookie G Tony Bergstrom spoke to the media upon arriving at the team’s Napa Valley Training Complex for the start of training camp.”

• 0ak r8rs

Marks Hair Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 2:48 pm

@@@@@@@@@@@@@

PUP or IR r the best case scenarios. I hope I’m wrong. Don’t think I will be.

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

0ak R8rs Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 2:48 pm
    Nycraider Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 2:44 pm
    if bergdog doesnt start this year he can be considered a bust imo

@@@@@@@@@@@@@

===================================

Hayden’s getting some scar tissue cleaned out. He’ll be fine for training camp. Gawd, you people…

• SnBG

SnBG Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 2:44 pm
    Nycraider Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 2:38 pm
    SnBG Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 2:33 pm
    Nycraider Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 2:22 pm
    Snbg , if i said Pryor is better than Wilson would i be jumping to a conclusion?
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    I’ll bite,,,,,,,as I was talking about today and what was said by the tweets I can say today Pryor was better than Flynn and Wilson. Yes,btw, that’s in print if you need to go and look it up. With Hayden, none of knows what the issue really is. We are all coming to some conclusions. Some seem a little more logical than others and some are very illogical and reactionary.
    ——————————————————-
    looks to me like they all had a bad day

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Cool, I’ll look at it.
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    @NYC, nice update, they all sucked today. See what happens when we speculate and draw conclusions before we know all of the facts.

• 0ak r8rs

PlunkforHOF Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 2:49 pm
    How I wish the banning of all Dr Robert(s) was true.

So big Woodson news conference and no post about it?

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Saw the link to the video, but it wouldn’t play. Any other links?

• nycraider

Marks Hair Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 2:48 pm
    ——————
    time reveals everything. will hayden need a 2 weeks 2 months 6 months or a year to heal. Who knows. I ‘m rooting for him.

• nycraider

• DutchRaider77

415.Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 2:49 pm
    Al_is_theraiders Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 2:46 pm

=================================

No, he was drafted as a guard.

From Raiders.com last summer:

__________________________________________________

Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie said Bergstrom will be worked at guard initially but that there’s a chance he will be used at offensive tackle at times, too.
    Bergstrom played mostly right offensive tackle in college. He worked at left guard at the Senior Bowl and said he already views himself as a guard.
    “There were some teams that I talked to that saw me as somebody who could play tackle,” Bergstrom said in a conference call with Bay Area media. “Even talking to the Raiders, they said maybe I could play tackle but I would probably move into guard first. I’m not sure. I kind of knew all along that I was going to be a guard first and maybe be able to play that backup tackle in the future, or right away. But guard’s my position. I’ve already changed my mind-set to guard. So, that’s what I’m thinking right now.”

OL Bergstrom transcript

Q: What is the transition to guard going to be like?
    A: “It’s something I got to do; I got to have a taste of it at the Senior Bowl. I played all right tackle through most of my college career, a little bit of left tackle, and went to the Senior Bowl and played only left guard. I’ve already had a bit of a taste for it. There’s a little growing pains, I’m sure there will be, coming into this new league and switching positions. But, it’s something that came pretty naturally to me. It was fun. I’m not going to lie to you. You get inside, it’s not so much finesse anymore, it’s a little more gritty. I feel like I’m capable of making that transition.”

Q: Did you know all along that you would convert to guard?
    A: “Yeah, most likely. There were some teams that I talked to that saw me as somebody who could play tackle. Even talking to the Raiders, they said maybe I could play tackle but I would probably move into guard first. I’m not sure. I kind of knew all along that I was going to be a guard first and maybe be able to play that backup tackle in the future, or right away. But guard’s my position. I’ve already changed my mind-set to guard. So, that’s what I’m thinking right now.”

• Marks hair

the best case scenario is him being ok by July like his doctor predicts..

• 0ak r8rs

Manassamauler Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 2:47 pm

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I get that. And if he was on any other team my perspective would be different. Obviously his health is more important than if he ever plays and snap in the NFL. I just wish it was another team that had to deal with it. We have enough problems. So I can’t help but put playing from our number one pick as a very high priority. But of course, life is the number one priority. I get that even in all my angst.

• dr_robert

PlunkforHOF Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 2:49 pm
    How I wish the banning of all Dr Robert(s) was true.

So big Woodson news conference and no post about it?
    *******
    Aww.

• 0ak r8rs

Marks Hair Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 2:52 pm
    the best case scenario is him being ok by July like his doctor predicts..

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Not happening.

• manassamauler

So how did ford and McFrailden look?. Need them to step up

• SnBG

0ak R8rs Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 2:48 pm
    Nycraider Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 2:44 pm
    if bergdog doesnt start this year he can be considered a bust imo

@@@@@@@@@@@@@

===================================
    ”””””””””””””””
    See, more conclusions and speculation. Negative I might add also. You know what they say about making assumptons.

• The Big Banana

Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush) Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 1:55 pm
    Greg Papa just advocated bringing Jamarcus back for a look. WTF
    —————————
    Greg Papa has officially lost ALL credibility if he was serious.

—–

He lost it long ago.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“Like I said, all bark and no bite.
    So when are you going to meet me? Never?”

You pick the time and I will chose the place no one is afraid of a little turd like you not sure why you are getting all swollen about it unless you realize that you are 500 miles from me and that makes you feel safe…..it Shouldn’t!

I am ready but I am tired of your talk I would like to see some action out of the Camel Jockey.

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

0ak R8rs Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 2:54 pm
    Marks Hair Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 2:52 pm
    the best case scenario is him being ok by July like his doctor predicts..

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Not happening.

====================================

You’ve never met Hayden and have no medical training but somehow know more than the board-certified doctors who have examined and operated on him?

Whatever, Spud.

• Raiders for life

Just got off work and saw the Hayden news.
    That is fkn fkd. Hoping for the best, the DB crew was looking close to something resembling semi solid.

Hope to see this kid in training camp.

• 0ak r8rs

SnBG Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 2:54 pm
    0ak R8rs Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 2:48 pm
    Nycraider Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 2:44 pm
    if bergdog doesnt start this year he can be considered a bust imo

@@@@@@@@@@@@@

===================================
    ”””””””””””””””

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I’ve seen essentially two decades of futility. And am now standing behind a rookie GM w a rookie head coach running what is basically an expansion team. EXCUSE ME FOR BEING NEGATIVE WHEN IN ONE DAY WE FIND OUT OUR QBS ALL SUCKED, BERGSTROM DIDN’T WORK W THE FIRST TEAM AND OUR MOST RECENT NUMBER ONE DRAFT PICK, THE FIRST IN THREE YEARS I MIGHT ADD, COULD BE DONE. FOREVER.

Excuse me for not seeing rainbows and unicorns after today’s news.

• aig-raiders

greg papa is an idiot.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

Which game are you attending this year….I will make sure and let Homeland Security know and be ready to get your little smelly ass handed to you in the parking lot before Homeland Security interrogates you……for being a smelly little Arab.

• SnBG

Is there one real Doctor in the house that could give a real opinion on Hayden. Please,,,a real Doctor only.

• 0ak r8rs

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 2:59 pm
    0ak R8rs Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 2:54 pm
    Marks Hair Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 2:52 pm
    the best case scenario is him being ok by July like his doctor predicts..

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Not happening.

====================================

Whatever, Spud.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Board certified Drs don’t know shlt about stuff like this. Most of them have never seen anyone SURVIVE after an injury like this, much less attempt to play professional football. Call me names all you want, he’s not playing this year.

And why, btw, did we just find out about this today if he went in last week? I’m not claiming conspiracy theories or anything, and I know today was the first media day on a week. But isn’t this something we should have known before today?

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

Bring your whole family I want them to see you get your ass handed to you then after I am done kicking your ass I can have your whole family deported back to that shlt hole you call a country!

• oakfasho

I fkn knew it! Nice pick Reggie you fkn snapperhead.2-14.

• dr_robert

Sorry. My specialty is post traumatic slave syndrome.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

LOL
    You said you are coming to SC. You changed your mind?
    When you are a pu$$y, you shouldn’t talk sh!t. You get called on it.

• Al_is_theraiders

ok great…he cant make the lineup at a position he was drafted for…what does that say anout shreks personnel skills…

• 0ak r8rs

SnBG Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 3:02 pm

@@@@@@@@@@@@@

First, find a real dr that has seen someone survive his injury. Have to go to war vets most likely, since the battlefield is where this injury happens most often as I understand it. Gonna be tough to find that guy. When you do, ask him of any of his surviving patients ever went on to play in the NFL 4 months after it happened? Good luck. Keep me posted.

• http://www.AmyTraskshouldbeonmountrushmore.com Whats a Drexl?

dr_robert Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Whats A Drexl? Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Krikey Cork, are you telling me you don’t even have one Raid “source”.
    Oakland Raider beet writer, thats a joke right?
    ********
    Beet writer?

He’s part of the agriculture division?
    =================
    you know what I meant, your just being thick for thick’s sake.

I still say Cork was snoozing at the wheel.

• oakfasho

438.Silverandblack666 Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 3:04 pm

==================================================== Hey look it.After you are finished,Slide and let me piss on him huh? Thanks,carpet monkey hater.

• http://goducks.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

0ak R8rs Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 3:04 pm
    Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 2:59 pm
    0ak R8rs Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 2:54 pm
    Marks Hair Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 2:52 pm
    the best case scenario is him being ok by July like his doctor predicts..

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Not happening.

====================================

Whatever, Spud.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Board certified Drs don’t know shlt about stuff like this.

=======================================

But you do? Where did you attend medical school? Where did you complete your residency? How many years’ experience in Sports Medicine do you have?

• SnBG

Excuse me for not seeing rainbows and unicorns after today’s news.
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    I feel your pain. Honestly, it’s not that bad. Hayden most likely will make camp. If Bergs doesn’t work out it won’t be the first time a high pick didn’t make it. I think he will. I think this is a stop gap year for QB’s anyway and we’ll draft one next year.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Silverandblack666 Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 12:16 pm
    “1- Knock yourself out, but yes, you made a comment about me being a tough guy.
    2- don’t insult other people with your dumb comments and people will not interfere.
    “Dirty Mexicans”?! Really?”

Why would you take my quote out of context unless you are a half wit fuktard tying desperately to start a chat fight with me.

Put the whole quote or nothing at all you little weasel because I am closer to your ass than RR and I will meet you in SOCAL!!!!

Silverandblack666 Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 2:59 pm
    “Like I said, all bark and no bite.
    So when are you going to meet me? Never?”

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

So when are you coming to SC?
    I live close to oak park, SD. I’ll meet you there.

• oakfasho

Reggie cant do nothing right.OOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOO aaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaa.

• LondonAl

Doctor signing in here. I am an A&E doc’ but you’d call it ER. Hayden’s past injury is not normally seen on the sports field. It’s usually a road traffic accident type of injury. I have seen a few bikers killed with the injury he received on the football field. I doubt his present issue is related directly to it. He’ll be playing ball for us this season.
    Go Hayden, Go Raiders!