Woodson Q&A with media

By Steve Corkran
Wednesday, May 29th, 2013 at 1:07 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Free safety Charles Woodson is a man without a jersey number right now. However, he’s always got something insightful to say. So, here’s the transcript of a news conference with Woodson after Tuesday’s practice in Alameda, his first time in a Raiders uniform since the 2005 season.

Q: How does it feel to be back with the Raiders?
A: “I almost feel important sitting up here. It feels good. It really does. It feels good to put the silver and black back on. It’s been a long time. I look good in silver and black, so it feels good to be back.”

Q: Are you more of a leader by example or are you more vocal?
A: “For the most part, I’m a lead-by-example type of guy. I’m always of the mind-set I don’t want to go around any coaches and what they coach, what they do. But when there’s an opportunity to step in and give some input on whatever that may be, then I’ll do that and, like I said, not try to step on anybody’s toes because that’s not my intention, of course, to do that. Wherever there’s a possibility to help a guy, whether he’s young or old, it doesn’t really matter, then absolutely.”

Q: What’s up with the blank jersey?
A: “I can’t find a number, Man. Everything is taken. So, moving forward, we’ll try to get that worked out but right now, I’m just Blank Man.”

Q: Going to negotiate to get your No. 24 back?
A: “Yeah, I guess that’s what I’m going to have to do. It wasn’t waiting for me at my locker, so I’ll have to negotiate that, for sure.”

Q: Did you meet D.J. Hayden last week?
A: “No, I haven’t had that opportunity yet. So, I’m really not sure what’s going on. I look forward to getting a chance to meet him. So, hopefully that situation works itself out, and he can get back here and do what I know he loves to do.”

Q: How can your confidence transfer to your teammates?
A: “Well, for me, it’s all about my approach to the game, the way I play, the way I practice. That will really show itself, the way I prepare. I’ll always prepare as if I’m the best player on the field. Once that’s no longer the case, I’ll see it, I’m sure everybody else will see it too. At that point, it’s up to the next guy to move forward. I’m just going to come in and do what I know how to do, and that’s be a great football player. So, I plan on doing that going forward.”

Q: What can you tell folks about Matt Flynn?
A: “Yeah, Flynn had a chance to work around a great quarterback in Aaron Rodgers a bit, sit behind him, just kind of emulate some of the things that Aaron does without trying to be like Aaron. So, he’ll bring some experience, even though he hasn’t had a chance to lead a team. I know that I’m sure the coaches are excited to have him in here and giving him that opportunity to lead this team. I just look forward to seeing him grow. He’ll have the opportunity to be the guy. At that point, it’s what do you do with it. Hopefully he’ll succeed.”

Q: What feels different about being back here?
A: “Oh, man, really the only difference is the big guy is not here. That’s really it. Knowing that you’re not going to see him coming out on to the field at any point in time this season is really the different feeling to this organization. But I know that the organization is in good hands with Mark taking over and bringing in Reggie to come in here and try to get the Raiders back on the right track. So, in that sense, it feels good and there’s definitely a positive feel to it.”

Q: What did they tell you about their vision that helped you re-sign here?
A: “Well, just talking to Reggie and coach D.A., I was really sold on the fact that they believe on the guys that they have here. Of course, you can always use more and as the years come up, they’ll be able to do some more things. But they really have a lot of faith in the guys that they have on the roster right now. Who knows what this team will be at the end of the season, but I was convinced that this team will compete, this team will be in games, and we look forward to going out there and wearing the silver and black proudly. These guys, I’m looking forward to playing with them and trying to get back to where the Raiders should be.”

Q: Know anything about Tyvon Branch when you were in Green Bay?
Woodson: Yeah, we always watch players around the league. He’s a guy that, he always shows up somewhere. He’s a tough, hard-nosed football player. A lot of speed. Can cover a lot of ground. He’ll come up and stick his nose, stick his face in the play. He’s a guy that I look forward to playing with, and a guy that I think is emerging as one of the leaders on the team, so I’m looking forward to getting more familiar with him and playing alongside of him. I think the sky’s the limit for him.

Q: Terms of scheme, what it was like before, man-to-man corners, safeties normal role, four-man role . . . how different is that what looking at now?
Woodson: It’s a lot different. I mean, you just stated it. I mean, we were to be man-to-man corners, and that’s what it was. You went on the outside, the other corner went to the other side and you played man-to-man. You had a single high safety, and that’s pretty much what you did. There wasn’t a whole lot to it. This defense will give you some variations and give you some opportunities to make some plays, give you some different looks, and not just be in a single high safety look. That’ll be fun, and for me, being a guy that I feel like I have a nose for the football, it’ll be a lot of fun to go out there and be a part of this defense and try to make it click.

Q: Flynn 2-0 with Packers, did he make it easy for guys to have confidence in him?
Woodson: Yeah, I mean, we always felt he could do it. But the game of football is the same for everybody. You’ve got to get out there in a game, and you’ve got to get a feel for it. The opportunities that he got, he made the most of ‘em, and he gave people a look at what he could do. That’s the reason why he was picked up in Seattle, even though he wasn’t the guy there, but people seen enough of him, that they brought him here, so I’m sure the staff has a lot of confidence in him that he’ll emerge as the guy, and help lead this franchise.

Q: What about Jason Tarver as a defensive coordinator?
Woodson: Well, I mean, he’s a young coach and he’s just trying to implement his defense. And that’ll take some time. He’s got a lot of new faces, a lot of new guys. The most important thing about trying to implement your defense really is communication. It really won’t matter as far as the talent level is concerned, but if you can communicate and guys know where they’re supposed to be, a lot of the other stuff won’t matter, because you’ll be in position to make plays, make tackles, keep people out of the end zone and that sort of thing. The more and more we work together, I think the defense is a defense where it’s not going to confuse you. Guys should pick it up fairly quickly and we should be able to hit the ground running.

Q: Did you get a chance to talk with Al Davis at any point?
Woodson: Man, I haven’t talked to Al Davis since I left. That’s one of the things I look back on, when I didn’t do when I left, was really have a conversation with him when I left the Raiders. Didn’t get a chance speak with him, and I wish I had.

Q: What kind of effort did Raiders make to keep you when you left here?
Woodson: Yeah, it was pretty much done. I know my agents talked to the organization a few times, but as far as me, there was really no communication. It was kind of, I guess, the writing on the wall that he’s no longer going to be a Raider, and I went my way, and the Raiders of course went their way. It wasn’t much at all.

Q: Did you ever think you’d be back?
Woodson: No, no. No, but I guess that’s the way life works. I never thought I’d go to Green Bay and ended up in Green Bay and had an incredible run there, and free agency came around and I thought I would be somewhere else fairly quickly, and that didn’t happen, and free agency just kind of rolled on, and found myself talking to myself and saying, regardless of where I play, I want to play football. I don’t want to just be done playing the game. That’s when the opportunity arose to come out here and play football, and that’s what happened.

Q: How’s your health?
A: I feel great. Other than having the collarbone and last year and then the Super Bowl year which were setbacks of course. Other than that I don’t have any aches and pains anywhere or anything. My shoulder has healed up well now. I look forward to going out there and playing football the way I always have.

Q: What was it like with fans last week?
A: It was a great feeling. I was here eight years and we had some ups and downs but we had some great years. I know what it’s like to have this fan base behind you. That’s a big deal. There’s a lot of energy here. A lot of these guys don’t know that, they don’t know that feeling to be that type of team here and have the fans behind you. To have the fans here at the facility last week welcoming me back meant a lot and I appreciate Raider Nation for that.

Q: Talk to Mark Davis yet?
A: I have not. I haven’t seen Mark in years. I’m sure since I left in 05-06. It’s been a long time. Haven’t really been around him since that point. There’s only one Al Davis though. I’m sure that it’s probably a lot different in that respect.

Q: Thoughts on tuck rule gone?
A: What were they waiting on? That was a happy day. It was a happy day Finally they got it done. My thing is too bad it couldn’t be retroactive.

Q: Where is this team at in the rebuilding process?
A: That’s really hard to say. This is a fairly young team. When I came in we had Tim Brown and guys like that, some veterans that had been around for a while. Hadn’t won a lot of games but then we got a new coach in Jon Gruden at that time and they brought in a new system so things slowly started to come together during those first couple of years. Here this is my first time going out there running around with the guys out there on the field. What I can say is there is a lot of energy out there just from the first initial practice. As far as defensively. The defense is one that guys will gravitate toward fairly quickly and pick it up to the point where when we go out there in games there’s not a lot of indecision. We’ll be able to go out there and play football and have fun doing it. If you’re doing that then you’ll win some games.

Q: Ever talk about going back to GB?
A: The conversation when it happened was fairly quick. It was ‘we thank you for your time here. We feel like it’s time for us to go our way and you go your way.’ That was it. I really didn’t have any thoughts of it. When free agency first started I thought I’d be on a team pretty quickly and wouldn’t even have time to think about it. It really didn’t cross my mind much I guess. I figured it was what it was. You got to move on.

Q: What do you say to those surprised you signed here?
A: I don’t think they understood the fact that I spent more time here than anywhere else. If I got past Denver and didn’t sign there that if I got here it was going to be pretty tough for me to leave being that this is like a second home to me as well. Drafted here, spent eight years here. I had great years here. We had a lot of ups and downs but I loved it here. I still have people I consider family here. It was going to be hard to come here, sit down with Reggie and DA. Just being in this building, seeing the fans at the gate coming in. It was going to be hard to leave I don’t think people understood that.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

rediaR Says:
    May 29th, 2013 at 3:09 pm

And when did checkdowns become cancer? Coaches absolutely want QBs to throw checkdowns when it is necessary. They have players run those routes for a reason. When the deeper routes aren’t developing and the situation doesn’t warrant taking the risk of throwing the ball into coverage, a checkdown is a logical next step. They are the last reads on a QB’s progression and are the options just before taking off and running (even for Pryor), throwing the ball away and taking a sack. Checkdowns are useful tools that can extend drives and result in bigger plays. A QB willing to throw a checkdown could be the difference between 3rd & 16 and 3rd & 2.
    ===============

the thing is checkdowns are important but they cant be all the qb can do.

even if a guy is cautious and checks down often he must eventually challenge deep or the checks also disappear with dbs draped all over the wrs and backs

we saw this first hand when we suffered through the gradkowski era.

he couldnt throw it 20 yards and the defense sat on the short stuff and dared us to beat them deep

same will happen with flynn / wilson

• Raider E

I blame you both , Rob. I started ignoring Mistic months ago. He is a hateful man.

• ElkGRaider

Dakota Says:
    May 29th, 2013 at 3:36 pm
    I regret seeing DHB go. I think he had SOME potential in 2011. I think he got Knapped just like the rest of the offense in 2012.

But I think it is highly unlikely that we will all be crying over the release of the great DHB a couple of years from now. He ceiling is AVERAGE NFL WR at best…..he was getting to that point in 2011.

He can have some productive years with a good OC and QB, but nothing earth shattering. The guy still jumps to catch balls with his gut…..if he hasn’t learned better by now….
    =============

And thats just it. Average NFL WR’s (and he was at the low end of that) should not get paid like above average. How can you tell a guy “we like you…but want you to take a fraction of what you were getting paid”?

I’ll give respect for him being a good role model and a hard worker. He was a Reggie guy. A VERY overpaid Reggie guy…

• alex7

DHB only caught a ridiculously low 52% of passes thrown at him. Poor hands are poor hands no matter who’s throwing the football.

He’s also limited in his route-running skills. He’ll only get 1,000 yards in Indy if he’s targeted over 100 times, which won’t happen with the other weapons and two-tight end sets being used there.

• SnBG

RediaR Says:
    May 29th, 2013 at 3:31 pm
    SnBG Says:
    May 29th, 2013 at 3:18 pm
    To succeed Flynn will need great route running from his receivers. Like he had in GB.Can our guys run good routes?
    ————————
    First of all, I think that is an odd statement. Not many QBs succeed when WRs are running bad routes. I don’t think Flynn needs his receivers to be better than any other guy necessarily.

I think Streater can progress as a route runner. Vernon might stick with the team because of his hands and route running and be that outlet slot guy. DA gave him a little love in his press conference yesterday. I have my doubts about Moore, but he could still be useful running select deep routes and screens. Ford better step up as a WR and stay healthy because his replacements are already in the building.

Just because Pryor can run, doesn’t mean he will overcome bad WR play.
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Actually, I agree with you, Should have said Ford and Moore. I like Vernon and Streater. As to Pryor, Moore and Ford most likely will be our starters. Not running great routes IMO actually helps Pryor because he is a better improvisor the Flynn. Flynn needs his receivers to run great routes to succeed in our new and improved WC sort of offense.

• PlunkforHOF

mcthompso Says:
    May 29th, 2013 at 3:05 pm
    Lord a mercy guys. It is silly to crown any of our QBs the best of the bunch. All speculation. We can go 1 start v. 2 starts v. hope…but game film will not tell us a lot about any of the three. What we know is that it is Flynn’s job to lose, as that has basically been stated–although the competition should be fair during camp and preseason. Enough of this putting one player over the rest of the 89! Especially when he has to earn it just like everyone else. I hope he’s good…I like him…I don’t hope he wins it b/c I am not rooting for one Raider player over another…I’m rooting for them all the same-they’re all Raiders. Why can’t we just quit with the singular player fandom?

The arguments are intriguing on both sides. All of the posters have decent points about their favorite player, I do respect and enjoy seeing them, as they provide hope (not even insight, none of us have that) and what to look for in a player…but quit making it out as anything is fact with our QBs. Let’s allow the best man win and get behind that guy, instead of just waiting for them to fail so our favorite players can get some run.

Your predictions are not more important than the team if you are a true fan. This goes for Pryor lovers and haters. Root for all three (or four if you wanna count McGloin). They’re our guys.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Well said… co-signed

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

ElkGRaider Says:
    May 29th, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    May 29th, 2013 at 3:27 pm
    John David Booty Says:
    May 29th, 2013 at 2:33 pm

INDIANAPOLIS — Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck has been impressed with the addition of former Oakland wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey, who joined the team through free agency.
    “Darrius had been great, he’s been a great addition,” Luck said after Wednesday’s OTA workouts. “He has great speed, obviously, and he’s got a real knack for football.
    “He’s played a lot of football and he understands situations. He’s a good force in the wide receiver rotation. He’s done a phenomenal job so far.”
    DHB easily goes over 1000 yards this season.

==================

this truly hurts

wish we could have kept him and jc and hu jack together

they were fun to watch
    ================

What was so fun watching a deep ball thrown to DHB that we all knew he wouldnt catch? No body control + no hands = #3 receiver

=====================

you mean you didnt enjoy watching the deep sideline come back routes he used to run with jc? They had it down and the defense would be so far off dhb it was like taking candy from a baby.

You didnt enjoy him taking that pattern then turning up field for the td in houston?

you didnt enjoy watching him catch the stick throw for a first down to ice the broncos on monday night?

Sorry but that young guy was coming on strong and i think the adversity and scrutiny he faced made his burgeoning success something that the whole team celebrated with him.

I think this was real motivation, and he and jc really connected in that way.

The raider were without question better because of it

• Dakota

ElkGRaider Says:
    May 29th, 2013 at 3:41 pm
    Dakota Says:
    May 29th, 2013 at 3:36 pm

=============

+++++++++++++++

Yeah, I don’t know if Reggie even made him a low offer, but that is about what he deserved….I bet Reggie just let him walk with no offer whatsoever…..which kind of bothers me. He had some potential, and he seemed like a hard worker….what would be the harm of offering him a light contract?

But DHB did have a delusional agent that thought he could get DHB another big contract, so maybe the talks just went nowhere.

• beach

Flynn is the starting QB. Deal with it, fellas. And DHB? Come on! When Luck sees him in preseason games, he will realize this guy is not a football player!

• SnBG

Dr_robert Says:
    May 29th, 2013 at 3:35 pm
    Ebony and ivory?
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Abbott n Costello

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“Well maybe you should read my posts a little more. I’m saying DHB sucked. Got it.”

Yeah its cool SnBG I was trying to be funny but humor sometimes does not come across well in type.

• jesusraiderjim

Dakota Says:
    May 29th, 2013 at 3:20 pm
    SMH

Sometimes this place reminds me of the common room in American Horror Story: Asylum.

=================================================

LMAO Dakota.

Great show, pretty fvcking bizzare for sure.

• rediaR

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    May 29th, 2013 at 3:37 pm
    rediaR Says:
    May 29th, 2013 at 3:09 pm

===============

the thing is checkdowns are important but they cant be all the qb can do.

we saw this first hand when we suffered through the gradkowski era.

same will happen with flynn / wilson
    ————————————
    Then the part we disagree on is that Flynn has that problem, and that Pryor is better. Honestly I don’t know for sure what both will be able to do, but I’ve seen more positives from Flynn. Maybe Pryor can prove to be an accurate passer and as good as you and some others say, but I saw more bad throws than good.

I’m not going to get into Wilson since he hasn’t seen an NFL snap, but I’ve heard his arm is good.

• SnBG

PlunkforHOF Says:
    May 29th, 2013 at 3:44 pm
    mcthompso Says:
    May 29th, 2013 at 3:05 pm

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Well said… co-signed
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    I like Pryor, that’s my opinion. If it turns out Flynn is the starter I will root for Flynn. Just because I like one QB over the other doesn’t mean I’m going to not root for the Raiders. Isn’t that what a coach would do? Pick the QB that he thinks is the best. In his opinion. I don’t hate Flynn or Wilson. I just like Pryors electricity.

• Marks hair

nobody’s mentally challenged here.. they just know you’re a dick

• dr_robert

Raider E Says:
    May 29th, 2013 at 3:37 pm
    ******
    Ok. U get some cred. Didn’t know if I was dealing with a mental patient of this asylum or regular folk.

I can see ur point.

Ill take it under advisement.

• ElkGRaider

I think this was real motivation, and he and jc really connected in that way.

The raider were without question better because of it
    =============

How DHB would be open on that route is beyond me. That is the only route I would sit on as DHB couldn’t catch anything thrown over his shoulder.

But to say it was fun watching that rare catch where he broke a tackle and make a big play is a bit silly no?

Top WR’s produce in ANY offense. They don’t cater to a guy who can only run slants and deep comeback routes while catching only 50% of them…

Again…I liked DHB as a person and as a hard working player. His contract was wildly out of whack and he should be a #3

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

I think the point is being missed on DHB. Yes it would have been nice for him to reach the so called mythical number one receiver numbers, however he was the best wr we had in 2011.

In my mind he didnt need to put up T.O numbers he was simply a good fit with what we had in 2011. His speed and the threat of his catch and run ability made the team better. in 2012 with palmer he had a down year and coincidentally so did the raiders.

I think his value couldnt and shouldnt be measured purley by the numbers.

Al over paid? so what it was working in 2011 and would have continued if they had kept that core group together

besides the whole number 1 wr thing is over blown

calvin johsnon and fitz are the best wrs in the game and they didnt sniff the playoffs last year

rgIII did it with moss kankerson and a banged up garcon

r wilson did it with golden tate and sydny rice

• SnBG

Silverandblack666 Says:
    May 29th, 2013 at 3:48 pm

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Ah, ok I know what you mean.

• dr_robert

Marks Hair Says:
    May 29th, 2013 at 3:52 pm
    nobody’s mentally challenged here.. they just know you’re a dick
    ********
    The fact u don’t see he weirdness says more about u than me.

But yeah I’m a dick.

• dr_robert

SnBG Says:
    May 29th, 2013 at 3:48 pm
    Dr_robert Says:
    May 29th, 2013 at 3:35 pm
    Ebony and ivory?
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Abbott n Costello
    *****
    I like those guys.

Wait. Are u white?

• Marks hair

you don’t know any facts about me.. and weird people don’t really bother me. the trolls do..

• oakfasho

2-14. got it.

• oakfasho

220.dr_robert Says:
    May 29th, 2013 at 4:01 pm
    Marks Hair Says:
    May 29th, 2013 at 3:52 pm
    nobody’s mentally challenged here.. they just know you’re a dick
    ********
    The fact u don’t see he weirdness says more about u than me.

But yeah I’m a dick.
    ==================================================== I thought predators were not allowed internet access??? Need to make a phone call hold on.

• ElkGRaider

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    May 29th, 2013 at 3:56 pm

I think his value couldnt and shouldnt be measured purley by the numbers.

besides the whole number 1 wr thing is over blown

rgIII did it with moss kankerson and a banged up garcon

r wilson did it with golden tate and sydny rice
    ================

It was a good offense. I liked watching them move the ball. But it all depended on a healthy DMac. He was the key. Not DHB…not Campbell.

• Pingback: Oakland Raiders Links That You’ll Want To See May 29, 2013 | Raiders Central | Oakland Raiders Blog

• adrenalraider

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    May 29th, 2013 at 1:11 pm
    Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    May 29th, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Priesttj12 Says:
    May 29th, 2013 at 1:04 pm

If the Raiders were smart which is a stretch, I would play Murray and Reece a lot and save DMC for late in the year and use him for specific things like certain opponents and certain times in games. Murray is 230 and just as fast when he gets going he is a poor mans Eric Dickerson and will strike you.

However Murray is also injuriy prone which is where Reece comes in. Reece is the most versatile of them and is a matchup nightmare. Hue Jackson knew how to use him so the defense could gage him and that is why he had soo many big plays.

If they can work Ausberry into the starting lineup this offense could surprise. Flynn is a dink and dunk QB which is fine when you consider the talent around him. On the other hand if Pryor can get comfortable by the 3rd preseason game and can win the job this becomes an exciting dynamic offense that would be traveling nightmare. It would present such an array of big play capabilities. We could win some games against teams who are clearly better than us. Pryor IMO could buy this team 2-3 wins just on his skillset. The Raiders lack the insight and creativity to capitolize on it though. Flynn excites NO ONE, Wilson is just tooo green at present our only chance of surprising a few teams is if Pryor WINS that job.
    ===============

agreed

I think almost all of our pass catchers and rbs are made to run like the wind. it makes no sense to me to have a qb that cant threaten the defense deep with this team.

I think the only place you and i differ on this is i would use the pistol and let every play start with the option action/ look.

get the defense to hesitate and bite then let pryor and the our speed burners punish the defense for guessing wrong

this would also create huge holes for dmac and committee to run

the threat of pryor keeping will be enough own the afc west

———————–

SERIOUSLY, are you guys delusional?

“the threat of Pryor keeping will be enough to own the afc west”?

What in gods name has shown you that Pryor can win anything in the NFL? I hate to bring reality to this discussion, but he can’t even get off the bench with the coaches. And I know, here it goes, you’re going to claim their biased. Well yes they are biased. Biased because they seem him practice every day.

Sorry to rain on your parade!

And to be fair, I liked when Pryor pulled Mike Goodson out of that fight. He showed leadership. Leadership alone isn’t enough though, as a QB in the NFL, you have to be able to throw the ball. Throwing the ball is where Pryor is lacking unfortunately.