Raiders fire P.R. director Gilbert

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Saturday, June 1st, 2013 at 9:40 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Raiders media relations director Zak Gilbert, fired by the Raiders Saturday, issued the following statement:

“I’d like to thank Mark Davis for the honor of serving the Raiders, and Reggie McKenzie for hiring me. I leave holding my chin up, knowing I dedicated every waking hour to promoting a positive image for our team. The co-workers in my Raiders family are extraordinary; the camaraderie we built was really special. Talking to Raiders fans on a weekly basis, I learned first-hand that their passion and loyalty is unmatched. I have great respect for the team’s rich history and took seriously the role of preserving it. Although disappointed that I can’t remain on the ride, I wish Reggie and Dennis Allen absolutely nothing but success in a bright future.”

Gilbert, hired by general manager Reggie McKenzie, hasn’t been at the club facility since a Sports Illustrated story authored by Jim Trotter which was published April 18 detailed how McKenzie was attempting to put an organization back together after a decade of neglect under Al Davis. Although the story cast McKenzie in a positive light, it was not well received by Mark Davis.

Instead, Gilbert has been working from home and was not attendance at at the NFL draft, the Raiders rookie minicamp or either of the club’s first two organized team activites.

• r00der

648. Oak. As usual. I value your input. You ever find you mouth gets in a jam? A tip. It ain’t your mouth, its the thought process that ain’t behind it.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Scourge Says:

Was his title ‘Will Kiss Ass’t Media Director?
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Good one, P-Man!
    =====================================================

What’s up, Scourge? Thought I was talking to myself here.
    Signal to noise ratio worse than usual.

• SnBG

0ak R8rs Says:
    June 2nd, 2013 at 4:38 pm
    SnBG Says:
    June 2nd, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Wiz, top ten.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Ok good. Still think he would be beast at guard of we had another capable center. But either way. Glad he’s top 10. Says alot in his second year, one year at center.
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    He’s an amazing dude. Played Guard and Center in collage also.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

jesusraiderjim Says:

LLama Man

Thought about you a couple times whilst my wandering umpire eyes were checking out MILFS between pitches.

Happy to report I did not miss any calls because of it. LOL
    =======================================================

Hah!

• 0ak r8rs

R00der Says:
    June 2nd, 2013 at 4:38 pm

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Yea. I have no thought process. Ok. Show me something I’ve said without thought process? Your a joke.

• 0ak r8rs

SnBG Says:
    June 2nd, 2013 at 4:40 pm
    0ak R8rs Says:
    June 2nd, 2013 at 4:38 pm
    SnBG Says:
    June 2nd, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Wiz, top ten.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    He’s an amazing dude. Played Guard and Center in collage also.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I know. Wasn’t saying he wasn’t good. Just didn’t think he was top 10. Plays hurt too. It’s just I don’t feel like we have any decent guards besides briesel, who was terrible last year. So my thought was if parsons could be a quality center then wiz and briesel could w a good guard tandem. An wiz and Veldheer could be lethal on the left side. It was more about what wiz could do at guard then what he can’t do at center that I was taking about.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

I’m not worried about Hayden. He knows what he’s doing. Proved that.

• Scourge

KoolKell Says:
    June 1st, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Van Gough is dark and dreary, IMO. I prefer the impressionist Picasso and Dali.

Carry on.
    ================================================

Kell, you’re often dreary too!

Carry on and don’t Dili Dali. :mrgreen:

• Scourge

Bruce

• r00der

Oak, I’m out of here, apologize for any slights you felt. Oh, I am an old coot, so gotta come up with something more…pejorative, you know, that expresses your meaning more. You should know, I do read your posts. Even glean another’s “opinion” from them. Thanks.

• SnBG

0ak R8rs Says:
    June 2nd, 2013 at 4:47 pm
    SnBG Says:
    June 2nd, 2013 at 4:40 pm
    0ak R8rs Says:
    June 2nd, 2013 at 4:38 pm
    SnBG Says:
    June 2nd, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Wiz, top ten.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    He’s an amazing dude. Played Guard and Center in collage also.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    I read you. Hope Bergs or Nixs work out.

• Scourge

Howcome one can’t type B@uce in here? (Was going through yesterday’s posts and saw the one about the four words you can’t post herein.)

• ENGLANDRAIDER

He’s an amazing dude. Played Guard and Center in collage also.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Wiz played mostly LG in college.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

You roll this up and there’s video on Watson.

• 0ak r8rs

I think bergstrom is gonna be a wasted pick. Not a bust so much, but a career backup, at least for us. He’s a tackle that was drafted to play guard. That’s not so bad, happens all the time. But he was chosen for his zone blocking ability, and after one fairly unsuccessful rookie year in the zone system, now we r back to power blocking. This whole ZBS thing really facked us from player to coach to GM. Just terrible all the way around. Gonna pay for it beyond just last year.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

• 0ak r8rs

R00der Says:
    June 2nd, 2013 at 4:50 pm

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I’ll miss you. See you tomorrow. And I don’t wanna call you anything you aren’t. Coot.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Silverandblack666 Says:
    ==================================================

Laying in wait, were you?

• 0ak r8rs

Silverandblack666 Says:
    June 2nd, 2013 at 4:53 pm

@@@@@@@@@@@@@

• SnBG

0ak R8rs Says:
    June 2nd, 2013 at 4:53 pm
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    He has a lot of strength and power which is good for a gaurd. Some scouts said he would be a better G in the NFL. He certainly played well in collage and was all pac 12. I don’t know how he will be this year but I believe he will get his chance. I hope you are wrong.lol

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Scourge Says:
    How come one can’t type B@uce in here? (Was going through yesterday’s posts and saw the one about the four words you can’t post herein.)
    ======================================================

I don’t know. Brien has been banned so many times, it’s kind of a legacy thing I guess. Or Becker just forgot to remove it from the list. Mr. Green figured out you can type it in a word document and paste it here no problem.
    And I think you can then copy it once it’s been posted and it’ll still fly. WordPress is weird.

• Scourge

P-man, who is/was Brien? Why was he banned?

• Raider E

I say Mark had to fire his azz immediately. It should not have taken this long. You don’t denegrate my father, especially when he is gone and can’t defend himself.

Great Job, Mark….

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“Lmao. You’ve probably done that before but I’ve never noticed. That was firggin awesome. Haha”

I do it often.

• Scourge

Have to logout for a while, back soon. Not that anyone cares.

• ohioraider

Flash Raider Says:
    June 2nd, 2013 at 11:57 am

What has Reggie and his lap dog DA done? Gone 4-12 and fired Hubert, let Amy walk and now Gilbert. Blowing up the team is a gamble. Pure and simple gamble. Keeping some vets and building around players and designing schemes to fit personnel is smart. Who we building around? Flynn? Please.
    ———————–
    Dumbass, you must’ve missed the scores of posts on here very clearly and plainly laying out the rationale for Reggie’s decisions. You’re post is like some half assed sucker punch coming about six rounds too late.

• redshirt

Florida Pete – I was referring to the initial injury.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“So the PR guy gets his walking papers for mouthing off to Trtter about how great Reggie is and how much Al’s system sucked?”

IMO he told Florio we were drafting DJ Hayden 2 days before the draft.

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

SilverSeymourGlen, you have reduced yourself to tr0lling rumors now?
    _____

Silverandblack666 Says:
    June 2nd, 2013 at 5:27 pm

IMO he told Florio we were drafting DJ Hayden 2 days before the draft.

• Raider E

Another good reason to sh*itcan his big mouth.

• DJ Johnny

new improved dr robert now cherry flavored Says:
    June 2nd, 2013 at 1:48 pm
    Most boring subjects in blog history:

1) taxes
    2) politics
    3) the PR guy

I agree on your first two points but this pr guy situation is interesting because of the intrigue involved.

• jesusraiderjim

Silverandblack666 Says:
    June 2nd, 2013 at 5:27 pm

IMO he told Florio we were drafting DJ Hayden 2 days before the draft.
    ——————————————————————-

If the guy was sitting home for 2 months how does he stay in the loop enough to know who we are drafting?

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Hey,Blog! Help. Brain fade. What’s B@uce’s current handle?

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

I clearly said it was “My Opinion” I am not about to play Sherlock Holmes with you guys.

You did see the big IMO before my sentence didn’t you?

• Scourge

I have returned!

• DJ Johnny

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    June 2nd, 2013 at 5:37 pm
    Hey,Blog! Help. Brain fade. What’s B@uce’s current handle?

I think the last one was Method to My Madness…

• jesusraiderjim

666 just making conversation w/ya not trying starting a blog argument.

Your opinion could be right I was just comptemplating

• DJ Johnny

Scourge Says:
    June 2nd, 2013 at 5:40 pm
    I have returned!

Welcome back Scourge.

• 0ak r8rs

Ohioraider Says:
    June 2nd, 2013 at 5:21 pm
    Flash Raider Says:
    June 2nd, 2013 at 11:57 am

———————–

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Seconded. Jeez. Ru sure this post isn’t from February?

• Raider E

It’s just too bad we can’t sh*tcan all the fans who want to talk bad about a dead man.

• 0ak r8rs

fired Hubert, let Amy walk and now Gilbert.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Three moves that really concern me:

1. Hue – chief hot dog vendor in cincy, a position he was probably promised by cincy management in case the Palmer trade blew up in his face. Whew.

2. Amy trask – she’s a lawyer. Not a football person. Hopefully we won’t need nearly as many lawyers down the road. And since it seems she was basically ALS vp, maybe Reggie would actually like a football mind in that position? Shocking. How dare he.

3. Zac Gilbert – who gives a shlt? Not even worth expanding on. I’ll really miss whatever the FACK it is he used to do.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Scourge; B@uce/Brien is ‘Method to my Madness’ currently. Hasn’t been here in a while.
    Has posted under many other handles and got banned under most. All right, a couple.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“Your opinion could be right I was just comptemplating”

Wow I must say that was nice of you…thanks.

I am had came to this conclusion because of a few observations…one being that the article itself was not enough to fire someone. The media loves this guy like he was their best friend. As loved as he was he had to be giving them something? Florio went out of his way to write this elongated article today about how Silver was right about Mark Davis because of this firing.
    Florio broke the Raiders are drafting DJ Haden 2 days before the draft. Florio defended Gilbert the way Silver defended Hue Jackson when he got fired with the hate article on Mark.

There was a “mole” in many of our opinions and if that is true then this guy fits the bill.

• jesusraiderjim

winning and winning on a consistent basis will fix all that is wrong with our Raiders.

I am just as sick of losing as any fan in here. Things are hopefully about to change . time will tell. Hopefully we are having a different conversation 3 years from now.

Winning

• DJ Johnny

0ak r8rs Says:
    June 2nd, 2013 at 3:51 pm
    ElkGRaider Says:
    June 2nd, 2013 at 3:36 pm
    Kiper?!?!

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Yea? Mel? Who btw gave us a good grade overall on our draft, B I think. And he slammed the crap out of us w every draft of the last decade before this year. Including last year, which of course had an asterisk since we didn’t pick till 99th

Kiper knows better than to blast us for Jamarcus since he called him the next Elway.

• Scourge

Hey, DJJ.

Thanks, P-man. Never understood the B@uce thing. But I get it that he’s been banned alot.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Scourge, did you read about Scooter the llama getting tased by the cops up above? I think ‘Raiders for Life’ posted it.

• 0ak r8rs

DJ Johnny Says:
    June 2nd, 2013 at 5:54 pm
    0ak r8rs Says:
    June 2nd, 2013 at 3:51 pm
    ElkGRaider Says:
    June 2nd, 2013 at 3:36 pm
    Kiper?!?!

@@@@@@@@@@@@

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

There were more than a few people wrong about jawalrus. As they were about Slolando. Too bad. Ironic w all of the busts and reaches we’ve had, even the semi consensus picks r crap too. Hopefully that all changes this year.

• jesusraiderjim

that is true and it was pointed out in some earlier posts as you said.

Our local media and national as well did take it kind of personally, frankly he should be fired if that’s the case, but in the grand scheme of things I really just want to see our team relevant again.

I just do not understand the lack of reporting on OTA’s

Cork acts like the ORG fired his girlfriend

• ohioraider

There had to be more to this firing than is being released.