Notes, quotes and observations from mini camp Day 2

It shouldn’t come as a great surprise that the Raiders quarterbacks performed better today, given there wasn’t much room to go but up. Even so, the quarterbacks looked as sharp, as a group, as they have all offseason.
It didn’t begin that way, to be fair. The first several throws left a lot to be desired and most of those, even ones that found the mark, lacked zip and a tight spiral.
Before long, something clicked and Matt Flynn seemed to find a comfortable rhythm, Terrelle Pryor dropped in a beauty to Andre Holmes 50 yards downfield and Tyler Wilson threaded a pass into tight coverage well downfield.
“The execution was better today,” coach Dennis Allen said. “Our guys, the one thing about them is, every time we challenge them, they come back and respond. So I was pleased with the way they practiced today.”
Allen was talking about his players, in general, but he could have said the same thing about a quarterback corps that looked as if they were practicing for the first time when they floundered Tuesday.

– Wide receivers Josh Cribbs and Isaiah Williams, fullback Jon Hoese, running back Latavius Murray, tight end Nick Kasa, linebacker Miles Burris, defensive tackles Johnny Jones and Stacy McGee and cornerbacks Coye Francies, D.J. Hayden and Taiwan Jones missed all or part of practice for the second straight day.
Murray made an appearance on the sideline. Afterward, Allen said Murray’s foot injury isn’t something that’s going to linger into training camp.
Cornerback Phillip Adams suffered a hamstring injury midway through practice and was escorted to the locker room. Fellow cornerback Michael Jenkins hurt his knee and didn’t finish practice, either.

– New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton said last week that he and Allen discussed the possibility of conducting joint practices before their exhibition game. Allen said Wednesday that it’s not apt to happen this time around.
“It’s something that we’ve talked about,” Allen said. “I don’t think that’s going to end up working out, but it is something that we kicked around, really both sides.”
Allen, of course, coached under Payton when both were with the Saints. In the past, the Raiders conducted joint practices with the Dallas Cowboys before exhibition games in Texas.

– If Allen is heaping praise upon a rookie, take note. Allen isn’t one to go overboard when talking about a young player.
On Wednesday, Allen raved about rookie linebacker Sio Moore way beyond what he typically does for a player that hasn’t established himself yet.
“I like Sio,” Allen said. “Sio’s a rookie, he makes some rookie mistakes. But he’s a big, powerful man. And he’s got a little bit of pass-rush ability to him. So, I like some of the flexibility that he gives us.”
But, wait, there’s more.
“What you look at is you look at football intelligence, and he’s got some football intelligence and some football savvy about him,” Allen said. “We got a big volume of stuff that we’re throwing at him and sometimes it can overload him. He’s a guy that continues to go out there and work every day. His work ethic and his understanding of the game of football is what’s going to allow him to be a good player for us.”
Moore is competing for a starting spot, along with Kaluka Maiava, Miles Burris and Kevin Burnett. Nick Roach is a lock as the middle linebacker.

– Safety Charles Woodson joined the Raiders late during offseason workouts. Even so, he wasted little time getting up to speed and acclimating himself to the Raiders defense.
“Wood’s been great,” Allen said. “He’s done everything that we’ve asked him to do. He’s really exactly what we felt we were going to be able to get in a player like that; a Hall of Fame-caliber player that’s made a lot of plays on the football over his career.
“We’re going to continue to ask him to do those things. As he’s gone throughout his career, he’s taken on more of a leadership role and he’s done a nice job in that regard for us.”
Woodson is expected to speak with the media Thursday. At that time, we’ll pass along Woodson’s thoughts on how things are going during his second stint with the Raiders.
Woodson is working with the Raiders first-team defense, alongside strong safety Tyvon Branch.

– Wilson fared somewhat better today, including one throw that he zipped 30 yards to a spot where Travionte Session could make a play in tight coverage.
Sure, he’s still prone to the occasional rookie mistake and consistency still is a work in progress, but Wilson carries himself in a way befitting a player with NFL experience.
“That’s one of the things about him,” Allen said. “He’s got some moxie to him. He’s got some savvyness to him. He still has a long way to go as far as learning the offense, learning the NFL game. But he’s a guy that hopefully we can develop and he can be better for us.”

– Allen admits that the Raiders checked into the possibility of signing a veteran wide receiver earlier this offseason.
Instead, they opted to see what they can get out of a corps that since has added Josh Cribbs, Brice Butler, Conner Vernon and Sam McGuffie.
“We looked to see what was available, really at all positions, but we got some young talent here,” Allen said. “Now we need somebody to step up and really separate themselves a little bit. But I like our receivers. I like the young talent that we have.”
That talent was on display today and Tuesday, with Butler, Vernon and McGuffie making impressive plays. All three have a legitimate shot to make the 53-man roster, behind locks Denarius Moore, Jacoby Ford, Rod Streater and Juron Criner.

– Very quietly, the Raiders are working more and more on different looks defensively. We’re not allowed to divulge much, but suffice that you’re going to see more three-man fronts and defensive linemen dropping into coverage.
A lack of dependable cornerbacks last season made it difficult for the Raiders to be as dynamic as defensive coordinator Jason Tarver and Allen envisioned.
As a result, the Raiders signed veterans Michael Jenkins and Tracy Porter and drafted D.J. Hayden in the first round. Their ability to hold up in coverage frees up other defenders to get after the quarterback.
“It’s a critical area of our football team,” Allen said. “The way the NFL is now, everything’s centered around the quarterback offensively, it’s centered around the quarterback defensively. What can you do to affect the quarterback, and that’s rush and coverage. We’ve got to be able to have both parts working together. Our coverage aspect is going to be able to help our rush this year.”
Several times the past two days, Porter and Jenkins flashed their ability to shadow receivers and get in position to intercept a pass, break it up or at least make it more difficult for the receiver.

Steve Corkran

• Raider E

I think this truly is a battle between Pryor and Flynn. I dont think Wilson and Mcgloin are reall y even being considered.

this situation is better thasn last year simply because this will bring out the best in both Pryor and Flynn. The whole team will be better off for it.

Last season, no one was gonna touch Palmer because of throwing ability alone.

• Scourge

Doc, see 434.

• inonewordraider

Priesttj12 Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 12:52 pm
    Lets just focus on the team and what we think. Enough of this Pryor vs Flynn stuff. What do you guys really think about the team at this juncture?

Not if they can compete, I mean the roster itself. What’s your opinion?

_______
    too hard to say when we’re playing vs each other, without pads no less

d might look good because the o is inept. running game will make a huge difference in pads

I’m guessing our passing game needs lots of work if they’ve struggled at times without a REAL pass rush

qb’s, te’s, wr’s need to improve leaps and bounds

• RAIDERMAN99

There’s little doubt that there’s a bunch of people who claim they’re rooting for TP when actually they hope he falls flat on his face.

They know they’re going to look like morons after repeatedly saying that TP sucks.

That’s just on this blog.

Now imagine if you’re a HC that stymied TP’s development by refusing to even activate him for virtually an entire season.

Imagine if you’re a HC that thought it was better for the RAIDS to start Matt Lice instead of TP.

You just might be exposed for the clueless azzclown that you are should TP actually succeed.

FIRE TITS YESTERDAY.

• the famous dr robert

Priesttj12 Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Not if they can compete, I mean the roster itself. What’s your opinion?
    *********
    Time will tell. Lots of maybes.

Some of these guys will emerge as real players while some will prove they aren’t.

It’s a real mixed bag. But there are things to like.

• theghostronin79

Priesttj12 Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Not if they can compete, I mean the roster itself. What’s your opinion?

========

Honestly I feel better now than I did last year (Roster Wise)….

I think the Secondary was the biggest improvement. LB’s next. Gotta bunch of “No Names” but… Those guys are hungry and I’ll take that. SP was a nice upgrade with April and Cribbs….

It’s not the popular “We SUCK” opinion but hey….I feel decent at this point.

• The Florida Pete

Priesttj12 Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Not if they can compete, I mean the roster itself. What’s your opinion?

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

basically it’s a team of nobody’s and has beens…

and they aren’t gonna get far because they barely know each other… never mind the new offense… the new defense…

it’s gonna be ugly…

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

how would anyone here know who was or was not banned without the person in question saying so?

Levi Damien‏@LeviDamien5m
    McGloin gets one redzone pass and makes it count. TD to Jeron Mastrud

• Scourge

I can’t imagine why he would have gotten banned, even temporarily. Beeech gets banned alot and stills manages to come back.

• J Hill

What do you guys really think about the team at this juncture?

————————————————————-

Need to see what we have in 20′s foot and the WR position.

I’m really not worried about the QB position.

I think our Oline is going to be a strength.

• Scourge

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 12:58 pm

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If some posters communicate amongst themselves off blog?

• Marks hair

695. The Famous Dr Robert Says: June 13th, 2013 at 11:39 am

Pryor is in danger of being passed up by Wilson and yes McGloin.
    If he just doesn’t inspire confidence that he’s a qb, they may just be done with it.
    Especially if the rookies look like keepers.McGloin has some buzz.

If that continues, they risk losing him on the PS.Can’t let a quality passer go for a long shot project.Pryor must show that he’s a legit passing prospect

this is your stupid ass post Rob just learn to live with it.. nobody’s putting words in your mouth

• Scourge

RaiderRockstar Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Levi Damien‏@LeviDamien5m
    McGloin gets one redzone pass and makes it count. TD to Jeron Mastrud
    =======================================

Go McGloin!!!

• Gdog

levi says pryor was better yesterday. cork tweeted pryor is on fire today.

so Flynn isn’t noticeably better. pryors dual threat ability has to make him the better option if this keeps up no?

>>>>>

I’ve said this all along… someone has to be CLEARLY better at passing or the job should be Pryor’s.

Most of the non-Pryor Brigade find this concept frightening. And rightfully so… the NFL is a passing league.

Steve Corkran‏@CorkOnTheNFL2m
    Sebastian Janikowski from 64 yards. It’s short and right. Oh well.

Steve Corkran‏@CorkOnTheNFL2m
    Eddy Carmona from 60 yards, with Marquette King holding: It’s short, too.

Steve Corkran‏@CorkOnTheNFL1m
    Special teams coach says kickers missing short on purpose, allowing Tyvon Branch to field and return the ball.

• the famous dr robert

I’m not sure about beeech or purvis.

I know cork told me he was banning my impostor.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

RAIDERMAN99 Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 12:57 pm

================

rm99 truer words have never been blogged

they often qulify their false praise and hope, with things like

“if he can learn to throw the ball”

“because he can run”

“because he is al’s last pick”

“with his size and speed”

the list could go on for days

they only want to shield themselves from whats coming

however in some cases it is already to late.

like the idiot claiming that “macgloin was going to take pryor’s spot”.

that has already been buried,

lol

Purv probably got banned for trolling and following every Palmer comment around like a lost puppy

#obsession

• theghostronin79

Steve Corkran‏@CorkOnTheNFL1m
    =======

If that’s true, it’s smart as HELL…..Branch is a BEAST returner.

• Gdog

Honestly I feel better now than I did last year (Roster Wise)….

It’s not the popular “We SUCK” opinion but hey….I feel decent at this point.

>>>>

I don’t think there is any question the defense should be much better and that it should keep us in a lot of games.

I still don’t think the offense is going to score enough points though. I am guessing last in the league in scoring…

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

Gdog Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 1:01 pm

levi says pryor was better yesterday. cork tweeted pryor is on fire today.

>>>>>

==================

you also said

flynn 7 wilson were light years better at passing than pryor

we havnt even made it out of june and your already bailing on your predictions?

lol stick to your guns flea dog

so I guess the plan is to have TB33 back DEEP on all FG attempts?

smart!

Bobby April = good hire

• the famous dr robert

Marks Hair Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 1:00 pm
    695. The Famous Dr Robert Says: June 13th, 2013 at 11:39 am

Pryor is in danger of being passed up by Wilson and yes McGloin.
    Especially if the rookies look like keepers.McGloin has some buzz.

*********
    Yes dummy. Read what it SAYS.

IF PRYOR FAILS.

MCGLOIN HAS SOME BUZZ.

IF IT CONTINUES

THEY RISK LOSING HIM

PRYOR MUST SHOW

What don’t u get? Do I say I believed mortenson one way or another?

I said if they like like mcgloin they risk losing him on the the PS and if Pryor fails, they could decide to move on.

U keep trying to say I said the mort report means they’re keeping McGloin over Pryor.

Learn to read.

• theghostronin79

>>>>

============

I dunno…… Especailly if they grab McGahee, with DMAC, Murray…..

Some smash Mouth / eat clock? Pass to compliment the run. yeah, they might not be high scoring but I could definately see closer games. No more “Blow-outs”

• Priesttj12

theghostronin79 Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 12:57 pm
    Priesttj12 Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Not if they can compete, I mean the roster itself. What’s your opinion?

========

Honestly I feel better now than I did last year (Roster Wise)….

It’s not the popular “We SUCK” opinion but hey….I feel decent at this point.
    ************************************
    I know, truth be told I waver greatly from damn this is some ugly stuff. To you know this just might work. I have a wide range of emotions looking at this team now. And usually I have a fair idea of what I feel, right or wrong. This is year I have no true feel for any of it.

It’s almost as if I’m rooting for a new team altogether. It’s strange as hell.

But for the first time all offseason I’m getting the bug back I’m getting anxious about what we’ll look like. I’m getting anxious about see our players as a team and individually. Maybe it’s the OTA’s and minicamp doing it but for months I hardly cared I was just pissed off.

But hopefull I’ll get better when we get started in a month or so. Just that I’d ask see if anyone was feeling like I was.

• Scourge

the famous dr robert Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 1:02 pm

I’m not sure about beeech or purvis.

I know cork told me he was banning my impostor.
    =============================================

Doc, I don’t think P-man is/was your impostor. It would take to much time and effort.

• The_Judge37

Steve Corkran‏@CorkOnTheNFL1m
    Pryor was asked to keep the throws short, as to not set off the US Missle defense systems.

• Gdog

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Gdog Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 1:01 pm

levi says pryor was better yesterday. cork tweeted pryor is on fire today.

>>>>>

==================

you also said

flynn 7 wilson were light years better at passing than pryor

>>>>

I think you are making things up, or mixing me up with someone else. I don’t have a strong feeling about Flynn at all.

About the only comments I made about him is his throwing motion reminds me a lot of Rivers.

I would hope one of our QB’s is better at short darts than Pryor has demonstrated. We ARE trying to run a WCO you know? Pryor is more of an Al-like offense QB.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

the famous dr robert Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 1:07 pm

=======================

you did say that macgloin would beat out pryor, and you said this even before the mort story

in fact the mort story had little impact on your thought process where this is concerned, it only further fueled you delusional foolishness

LMAO!!!! WHAT A KNOW NOTHING!!!

this cat doesnt know shid about football and especially about qbs

oh well mr’s record of futility and god awful raider qb prognostications continues to be absurdly laughable

• the famous dr robert

Lol. Missdick doesn’t WANT anyone else to like Pryor or to change their mind.

He WANTS it to be a small group of people who rant and rave about how right he was.

Did u see his ridiculous post when he thought the raiders signed Chris ault?

He CRAVES the division.

Why do u think he was so upset about the qb poll that showed it was split evenly?

He wasn’t happy about the support. He WANTED it the “us vs. them” thing to continue.

• J Hill

I still don’t think the offense is going to score enough points though.

———————————————————–

Why not?

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

Gdog Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Gdog Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 1:01 pm

levi says pryor was better yesterday. cork tweeted pryor is on fire today.

>>>>>

==================

you also said

flynn 7 wilson were light years better at passing than pryor

>>>>

I think you are making things up, or mixing me up with someone else.
    ===============

flea bag you cant hop your way out of this one

i didnt say you “had strong feelings for flynn”

however you did say flynn and wislon are way better passers than pryor

dont lie its in the archive

• the famous dr robert

Lol. After months of cluttering the blog with how awful everything is, priest is getting excited.

That’s ok. Negative nancies always come around.

• Priesttj12

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 1:02 pm
    RAIDERMAN99 Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 12:57 pm

================

rm99 truer words have never been blogged

they often qulify their false praise and hope, with things like

“if he can learn to throw the ball”

“because he can run”

“because he is al’s last pick”

“with his size and speed”

the list could go on for days

they only want to shield themselves from whats coming

however in some cases it is already to late.

like the idiot claiming that “macgloin was going to take pryor’s spot”.

that has already been buried,

lol
    **************************************
    Man, I tried to tell people that stuff was crazy to begin with but we had a few guys living in here saying the same crap everyday. They consumed the place, it became not a discussion but purposeful attempt to dominate the thinking in here. I still can’t figure it out. What did he do to deserve such hate?

• SilverLining20

The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 1:11 pm
    Lol. Missdick doesn’t WANT anyone else to like Pryor or to change their mind.

——-
    He’s a hipster?

• theghostronin79

==========

Yeah it does feel like rooting for a new team. It practically IS…. And I’d say my but started shortly after the Draft was over. I stopped whining about LAST year, and started being objective and feeling excited about this year cause the book hasn’t been written yet.

I’ll admit too that in years past, I was bouncing off the walls about now. Couldn’t wait for preseason…..

I’m more calm now, anxious still but…Calm. They gotta show me something still. I think the collective mindset of the players (Study hard, want to be great, football player types) is what has me the most excited. I want guys on my team that love the game too.

Levi Damien‏@LeviDamien1m
    @TerrellePryor gets new nickname for his passes from teammates … “sputnik” #Raiders

• Marks hair

my point is that prior doesn’t have to show anything more than he’s been showing so far in his career to beat McGloin.. and that the report is completely irrelevant to weather McGloin can get a job or not because the report is complete BS. you learn to read

• theghostronin79

I think practice is over……..No more tweets.

• the famous dr robert

Missdick u enormous dick.

I never said McGloin would beat out Pryor.

Not seriously anyway. Maybe to needle u.

I said it could happen and that’s the truth.

Flynn will start. Wilson will pass up Pryor. Pryor is in danger.

I out the current chances of McGloin beating out Pryor at 30%

I put the current chances of Wilson beating Pryor out for the #2 spot at 60%.

And I don’t give a sh1t what u say, I laughing hyena moron.

I do like him and if he proves me wrong I will gladly admit it and root for him and he doesn’t belong to u. Anyone here can change their mind at any time they feel.

Suck on it.

• Gdog

flea bag you cant hop your way out of this one

i didnt say you “had strong feelings for flynn”

however you did say flynn and wislon are way better passers than pryor

dont lie its in the archive

>>>>

Knock yourself out in the archives. I’ve never even seen tape of Wilson… doubt I would say anything like that.

Flynn is almost certainly a better passer than Pryor… if not, Reggie is even more of a moron than I thought.

There was no reason at all to pick him up if so.

BTW… I think you are a very repugnant person. You don’t seem to have any redeeming qualities. Not that you care what anyone thinks of you, I am sure.

• Priesttj12

theghostronin79 Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 1:15 pm

==========

********************************************
    I know what you mean, however I do think that gets played up a bit much. I never thought we had players that didn’t love the game. Because it’s too hard to stay at this level if you don’t.

I think for me it’s because it’s just tooo different and new and a lot of the stuff he did I did not agree with and still don’t. But I cannot hate these players because the guy running the show is who he is. So I’ll try to be as objective as possible from now on.

• the famous dr robert

SilverLining20 Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 1:14 pm
    The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 1:11 pm
    Lol. Missdick doesn’t WANT anyone else to like Pryor or to change their mind.

——-
    He’s a hipster?
    ******
    A nitwit.

• Gdog

J Hill Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 1:13 pm

I still don’t think the offense is going to score enough points though.

———————————————————–

Why not?

>>>>

Two very clear reasons. Our QB will prolly stink, and we almost certainly have the worst WRs in the NFL.

That means all teams have to do is stack 8 in the box to stop McF, and we are dead in the water.

• Marks hair

you have never rooted for pryor.. quit making s*** up just stand by your lame prognostications about your weak ass walk on white quarterbacks you love so much.. after months of reading your crap its pretty evident who you’re really cheering for

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Levi Damien‏@LeviDamien45m
    Then Flynn throws behind Rivera. Four str8 incompletions in redzone for Flynn. #Raiders

• Priesttj12

RaiderRockstar Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 1:16 pm
    Levi Damien‏@LeviDamien1m
    ************************************
    I guess he’s making a statement. Nice!

• willy91137