All eyes on Woodson these days

By Steve Corkran
Thursday, June 13th, 2013 at 5:23 pm in Oakland Raiders.

ALAMEDA – All eyes are on safety Charles Woodson these days, just as they were during his first stint with the Raiders. And Woodson is well aware of the intense scrutiny
Way back in 1998, people wanted to know what all the fuss was about with a player that won the Heisman Trophy and arrived as the No. 4 pick in the NFL draft. Nowadays, they are curious to see whether Woodson has anything left to offer.
“Everybody wants to see how I’m going to come out here and work and practice,” Woodson said, “and the last few weeks I’ve showed them what kind of player I am and why I have been around this long.”
He isn’t one to stand back and watch or take off practices because of his veteran status, in much the way defensive tackle Richard Seymour did in recent seasons.
No, Woodson has been at every practice since he signed with the Raiders in May after a seven-year run with the Green Bay Packers. And he is on the field as often as possible, learning a new defense and building chemistry with players he barely knows, if at all.
Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie was with the Packers when they signed Woodson after his eight-year run with the Raiders. He put on the full-court press for Woodson once it became apparent that the market had softened.
“Wood’s been great,” Raiders coach Dennis Allen said. “He’s done everything that we’ve asked him to do. He’s really exactly what we felt we were going to be able to get in a player like that; a Hall of Fame-caliber player that’s made a lot of plays on the football over his career. We’re going to continue to ask him to do those things.”
Woodson admitted that he reached the point this offseason, soon after his release by the Packers, that he might have played his last down as an NFL player.
Before the Raiders called, Woodson met with the 49ers and Denver Broncos. He jumped at the opportunity to finish his career where it started.

• Whoknows

I don’t get what you’re saying!
    ********************
    All I’m saying is Mo met with some As folks and delivered a pizza.
    Oh well you win some you lose some. Sometimes you get swept.

• The_Judge37

RaiderRockstar Says:
    June 14th, 2013 at 9:44 am
    didn’t he play QB in high school?

***

@hwnrdr

LeBron James played WR. We could use him!
    ——

Just imagine all the PI and Illegal Contact penalties he would draw!

• guest123

I love the new video snippets that Corky is sending out on that tout dot com.

Cork doesn’t realize that he opened a can of worms. Now those videos are going to be “expected”.

Rule #1 of all self respecting slackers.

Never step up your game in public, that shiz comes back to you. fail Cork!

• Whoknows

perhaps history!
    ******************
    Definitely the best closer in history…so far.

• mcfadden20.

I don’t see the same thing everyone else saw from Pryor in SD game, I don’t know if they’re looking at the close score or what , I see a guy who threw bobbly passes all over the field , a guy who was trailing 24-7 before putting garbage time stats when the Game was outta reach

Who will be training camp’s breakout player?

Whoknows Says:
    June 14th, 2013 at 9:59 am
    I don’t get what you’re saying!
    ********************
    All I’m saying is Mo met with some As folks and delivered a pizza.
    Oh well you win some you lose some. Sometimes you get swept.

Mos cool just couldn’t stop the freighting train that is the A’s

• hwnrdr

Whoknows Says:
    June 14th, 2013 at 9:59 am
    I don’t get what you’re saying!
    ********************
    All I’m saying is Mo met with some As folks and delivered a pizza.
    Oh well you win some you lose some. Sometimes you get swept.

Ahhh gotcha! When he came in yesterday I was like…oh no…I was surprised we got 2 hits off of the great one!

• guest123

456,

sio moore

• hwnrdr

guest123 Says:
    June 14th, 2013 at 10:03 am
    456,

sio moore

I’m probably going to have to go with that one as well!

• mcfadden20.

Yankees fans don’t need to b mad about last 3 days, A’s have been making a lot of teams look silly within the last month, if not for DOOLITTLE , we could have seen W streak in the 20s

training camp’s breakout player:

RaiderRockstar – Juron Criner
    Guest123 – Sio Moore

• guest123

Raiders RT Khalif Barnes received the majority of minicamp reps with the first-team offense.

Barnes started nine games in 2012, but struggled to play above replacement level. With second-round Menelik Watson likely to open the season as the starting right tackle, the San Francisco Chronicle expects Barnes to move to guard.

Source: Steve Corkran on Twitter

^^^^^^^

There’s your Melenik Watson love, ya hear that Rockstar!

My MUP PICK IS DAVID BASS guy is going to surprise people with his pass rush

• nycraider

Mcfadden20. Says:
    June 14th, 2013 at 10:01 am
    ———————
    LOL, CP3 had a qb rating in the 1st quarter of 65..how many games did he accumulate stats against a prevent defense. this is a new year anyway..can’t a young football player improve? why all the hate against tp6?

David Bass going to get 8-10 sacks

• guest123

Charles Woodson has been running as the first-team free safety during Raiders minicamp.

As expected, Woodson has stepped in ahead of Usama Young immediately despite just signing on three weeks ago. The 36-year-old will line up next to strong safety Tyvon Branch.

Related: Usama Young

Source: Contra Costa Times

^^^^

What does this say about Young? We knew C-Wood was probably going to start, but Young’s looking like chopped liver. Was he just the best thing we could pick and call a safety in the absense of you know a real life actual free safety?

• hwnrdr

mcfadden20. Says:
    June 14th, 2013 at 10:05 am

AGREED!!!!
    Dam Doolittle!

Mcfadden20. Says:
    June 14th, 2013 at 10:01 am
    ———————

Well that’s fair a player can improve , just don’t see the same thing everyone else saw from Pryor in SD game, but def everyone can work their ass off and improve , I hope he does improve , cuz I’m a Raiders fan first before a fan of any player

• hwnrdr

LOL, I guess that is why Melvin never called for him! Well, Chavez was pitching lights out!

:) :) :;)

@G123

I don’t see any of that on Cork’s twitter

Link?

• guest123

Raiders RG Mike Brisiel has been getting most of the first-team reps in OTAs.

Brisiel signed a five-year deal last year, but he was a big-time bust in his first season with the Silver and Black. At just 300 pounds, he’s also an extremely poor fit for the Raiders’ new power-blocking scheme. Beat writer Steve Corkran opines that the left guard spot is the only one up for competition on Oakland’s offensive line. We wouldn’t be surprised if Lucas Nix upstaged Brisiel at some point.

Source: Steve Corkran on Twitter

^^^^

Briesel getting upstaged by Nix? I thought it was Bergs who was catching heat to start.

• mcfadden20.

DOO pitched 2 days in a row , so no way he was goin to go to him 3 days straight

• Whoknows

I usually don’t get too into BB until after the Allstar break. Too many games to follow and my Yanks are almost always in it.

training camp’s breakout player:

RaiderRockstar – Juron Criner
    Guest123 – Sio Moore
    Hwnrdr – Sio Moore
    Mcfadden20 – David Bass

first player to 5 votes wins!!

• mcfadden20.

Chavez extended his season pass with lights out pitching

• guest123

the link is fed from rotoworld.

• J Hill

D Howard wants to play with CP3, lol.

I’d certainly take Griffin and Bledsoe in a sign and trade.

• mcfadden20.

A’s will have the best record come ASG

• mcfadden20.

I’ll take griffin and Bledsoe as well and we use that ammunity ? Whatever it’s called on MWP or Steve Nash

• mcfadden20.

Steve Nash was a bad idea

• J Hill

Veldheer
    Bergstrom
    Wiz
    Barnes
    Watson

• hwnrdr

Whoknows Says:
    June 14th, 2013 at 10:12 am

That is when I usually start getting into it as well…

• mcfadden20.

Mike Dantoni was a bad idea, I wished they shown more confidence in Bickerstaff , we might have had a clue how to stop teams from putting 100+ every night

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

Mcfadden20. Says:
    June 14th, 2013 at 10:01 am
    I don’t see the same thing everyone else saw from Pryor in SD game,
    ===============

we know folks

just like you didnt see that palmer was a loser and a quitter

just like you didnt see that we would suck last year because we were in a rebuild (which you denied)

just like you didnt see how palmer was going to miss the playoffs the year before that

good thing is the coaches do see what pryor did, and they are watching very closley now, watching tp6 smoke the competition the last two days.

Who gives a fugg what you see or dont see. I recommend pulling your enormous head out of your azz to get a better look at it.

Your heart ache for the blundering sad sack palmer simply wont allow you to get behind pryor. Your hate for qb’s classified as black wont allow you to give hi any credit.

I think it was a bad idea for you to have palmers balls surgically attached to your fore head, they obstruct your view of reality.

• mcfadden20.

Barnes is a beast run blocker in PBS, he can take RG as long as the original beast Monster Watson is protecting the right side

D Howard wants to play with CP3, lol.

I’d certainly take Griffin and Bledsoe in a sign and trade.

***

@Jhill

More likely that you get Lamar Odom, Matt Barnes or Ronny Turiaf back!

• Whoknows

Guest123 Says:
    June 14th, 2013 at 10:01 am
    I love the new video snippets that Corky is sending out on that tout dot com.

Rule #1 of all self respecting slackers.

Never step up your game in public, that shiz comes back to you. fail Cork!
    *********************************************
    I guess Cork says he’s up to the task. I find that hard to believe but:

“Steve Corkran ‏@CorkOnTheNFL 22h
    Videos on Tout limited to 15 seconds. That goes to 45 seconds next time you hear from me, at training camp in Napa. Three times the action.”

• willy91137

ycraider Says:
    June 14th, 2013 at 10:06 am
    Mcfadden20. Says:
    June 14th, 2013 at 10:01 am
    ———————
    ############################

You play to win the game in the game in San Diego prior would have won that game

if our special teams wouldn’t let tham run one back in the first play

on the last touchdown somebody jumps offsides and we spent too much time trying to get it in the end zone he threw four passes that were off the mark
    he had good command of the huddle for his first-ever start on a team that wasn’t very good in the first place I think he look real good.

• Whoknows

RaiderRockstar Says:
    June 14th, 2013 at 10:10 am
    @G123

I don’t see any of that on Cork’s twitter

Link?
    *******************
    Was gonna say the same thing

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    June 14th, 2013 at 10:17 am
    Mcfadden20. Says:
    June 14th, 2013 at 10:01 am
    I don’t see the same thing everyone else saw from Pryor in SD game,
    ===============

we know folks

just like you didnt see that palmer was a loser and a quitter

Raiders fan first , would love for Pryor to become a great QB, just don’t see what he did in SD game that got everyone excited , those bobbly passes were not good that 8-24 was not good

• DutchRaider77
  • xraided

J Hill Says:
    June 14th, 2013 at 10:15 am
    Veldheer
    Bergstrom
    Wiz
    Barnes
    Watson
    _________

i could live with that if Bergz is the real deal. that’s what scares me about that situation… just because he’s taking first team reps doesn’t mean he’ll be able to block anyone

i like what i hear about him not being some ZB purist … but still, he had stuggles keeping guys in front of him, much less moving them aside.

here’s hoping he’s gotten 5x stronger in the off season.

i guess we won’t know until after game 2 of the preseason how he looks, because our DL in practice will probably make him look too decent.

the other scary thing is what if he

• theghostronin79

RaiderRockstar Says:
    June 14th, 2013 at 10:02 am
    Who will be training camp’s breakout player?

=========

1st instinct…..Sio

Surprise breakout……Bilukidi / Nix

Where the hell did he come from?……McGuffee

• guest123
  • xraided

*what if he flops and we are left with Nix at LG? if Nix can’t even beat out some weakling LG, then we are in TROUBLE… well… big V is in trouble because he will have to make up for it constantly, thus making him look bad for letting more and more guys around him.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

I do like what olsen has to say. Seems to me he likes his players and qb’s. For those that only think he will do a gruden esque dink and dunk offense be advised that he also has part of the greatest show on turf playbook as well.

that particular area best fits our players now, if pryor is playing qb. lots of passes in the deep seams.

this will be fun to watch, and i curious to se just what the offense and formations will be like when tp6 is on the field. Lets hope olson is smarter than knapp, and doesnt run the exact same offense for flynn and pryor.

even though pryor can clearly run any offense flynn can, flynn would be lost in a mike martz vertical attack.

Dmac and reece will do their best marshall faulk

• Whoknows

the link is fed from rotoworld.
    *******************
    got it

• mcfadden20.

8-24 is hardly anythin to get excited about, he had good huddle command is hardly anythin to get excited about , but his offseason workouts is something to get excited about , I love each n everyone of our player to get better but stop talking about that SD game , there wasn’t much to see in that game, I’ll give him a pass for playing in his first nfl game