All eyes on Woodson these days

ALAMEDA – All eyes are on safety Charles Woodson these days, just as they were during his first stint with the Raiders. And Woodson is well aware of the intense scrutiny
Way back in 1998, people wanted to know what all the fuss was about with a player that won the Heisman Trophy and arrived as the No. 4 pick in the NFL draft. Nowadays, they are curious to see whether Woodson has anything left to offer.
“Everybody wants to see how I’m going to come out here and work and practice,” Woodson said, “and the last few weeks I’ve showed them what kind of player I am and why I have been around this long.”
He isn’t one to stand back and watch or take off practices because of his veteran status, in much the way defensive tackle Richard Seymour did in recent seasons.
No, Woodson has been at every practice since he signed with the Raiders in May after a seven-year run with the Green Bay Packers. And he is on the field as often as possible, learning a new defense and building chemistry with players he barely knows, if at all.
Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie was with the Packers when they signed Woodson after his eight-year run with the Raiders. He put on the full-court press for Woodson once it became apparent that the market had softened.
“Wood’s been great,” Raiders coach Dennis Allen said. “He’s done everything that we’ve asked him to do. He’s really exactly what we felt we were going to be able to get in a player like that; a Hall of Fame-caliber player that’s made a lot of plays on the football over his career. We’re going to continue to ask him to do those things.”
Woodson admitted that he reached the point this offseason, soon after his release by the Packers, that he might have played his last down as an NFL player.
Before the Raiders called, Woodson met with the 49ers and Denver Broncos. He jumped at the opportunity to finish his career where it started.

Steve Corkran

• xraided

DutchRaider77 Says:
    June 14th, 2013 at 10:21 am
    Kurt Warner’s top ten QBs…

No rookies…
    _____

F the niners, but Kaep will make that list this year. g0d i wish Al could have gotten him. yea Wiz wouldn’t be here, but still

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    June 14th, 2013 at 10:23 am
    I do like what olsen has to say. Seems to me he likes his players and qb’s. For those that only think he will do a gruden esque dink and dunk offense be advised that he also has part of the greatest show on turf playbook as well.

that particular area best fits our players now, if pryor is playing qb. lots of passes in the deep seams.

this will be fun to watch, and i curious to se just what the offense and formations will be like when tp6 is on the field. Lets hope olson is smarter than knapp, and doesnt run the exact same offense for flynn and pryor.

even though pryor can clearly run any offense flynn can, flynn would be lost in a mike martz vertical attack.

Dmac and reece will do their best marshall faulk

That SD game showed that Pryor should only be handing of the Fb to his RB but to each his own

@G123

Cork never said anything about Barnes playing guard. I call BS @ Roto

• guest123
  • J Hill

Don’t see Bergstrom AND Nix not panning out. One of the 2 should be fine and hold that LG spot down.

• mcfadden20.

David Bass is going to surprise everyone

• DutchRaider77

What does this say about Young? We knew C-Wood was probably going to start, but Young’s looking like chopped liver. Was he just the best thing we could pick and call a safety in the absense of you know a real life actual free safety?

_______________________________________________

Could Allen use Usama Young and Woodson like he used Usama Young and Darren Sharper?

I kinda see this situation with Andre Carter and Jason Hunter…

LG BETWEEN WIZ AND HULK SHOULD BE EASY JOB

• J Hill

———————————————————–

What did you think about that first pass to Reece?

• Whoknows

just don’t see what he did in SD game that got everyone excited
    *********************************
    I thought it was a pretty exciting game but maybe because I was there. I can tell you this though, I wouldn’t have went if CP or Lienart was starting, seen enough of those two already.

• Gdog

receivers dropped a lot of easy catches that game. pryor showed great leadership in that game. however, his footwork was bad, and his passes were not crisp at all. they were on target though.
    i agree that he will have to wow in preseason games, but until he puts some zip on those passes, he will have tons of critics.

its interesting that the big difference between kaepernick and pryor is that kap has plenty of zip, but no touch, and pryor has touch, but no zip.

zip should be easier to develop than touch….allegedly.

>>>>

Not when one player has perfect mechanics (Kap) and the other has horrible mechanics.

And yes, pryor had some passes dropped, but he had two sure interceptions dropped because he threw a foot behind the receivers on his slant patterns.

Like I keep saying, its kinda important for a WCO to connect on the short stuff with velocity… Gannon could do it in his sleep and he won a MVP for it.

Pryor has no confidence in it, and it is keeping him from being a starter.

• guest123

^^^^^^^

I think both of them are going to pan out. Push each other. Sparano knows what he’s doing. Nix is a natural for the PBS, and Bergs is considered a PBS blocker according to Sparano. Expect fierce competition in camp. The way it should be.

• xraided

“Lets hope olson is smarter than knapp, and doesnt run the exact same offense for flynn and pryor.”

the playbook is the playbook though, right?

where i agree TP belongs in a pistol type O, switching schemes to cater to him seems a little Tebow’ish, don’t you?

• guest123

RaiderRockstar Says:
    June 14th, 2013 at 10:25 am
    @G123

Cork never said anything about Barnes playing guard. I call BS @ Roto

^^^

why don’t you send corky an email and ask him to confirm or deny Roto?

• J Hill

2 deep passes to DHB should have been caught. One that was a little underthrown but hit DHB in BOTH hands, and that pass that Jammer ended up picking off.

Those are 3 passes in that final game that need to be caught on a routine basis by our receivers.

• xraided

Guest123 Says:
    June 14th, 2013 at 10:29 am

^^^^^^^

_________

that’s the worry here guys

just because the coach and spoken highly of them, doesn’t mean they’re going to be solid. not being a debbie downer here… but LG is ALL IMPORTANT … the guy must hold his own so V doesn’t have to worry about it, like when Wiz was next to him

Thanks, GMoney

solid work – as always

However, I was all over Cork’s twitter during this mini-camp and he never said anything about Barnes playing guard.

Bergs & Nix compete for LG the first 2 days.

3rd day more of the same. Then for a few series they tried Watson at RT and Nix at RG (replacing Brisiel & Barnes)

• theghostronin79

mcfadden20. Says:
    June 14th, 2013 at 10:23 am
    8-24 is hardly anythin to get excited about, he had good huddle command is hardly anythin to get excited about , but his offseason workouts is something to get excited about , I love each n everyone of our player to get better but stop talking about that SD game , there wasn’t much to see in that game, I’ll give him a pass for playing in his first nfl game

==============

I think what folks are excited / intruiged about is…Going beyond the appearance of the ugly passes – (They weren’t ALL ugly – the hook up with Streater)- was the ability to put points on the board in the red zone. Score of the game aside…. I’ve seen too many 1st and goals from the 2 end in a field goal.

He evaded pressure and rolled out, extending the play, hit Moore in the endzone….. Pretty pass Yes / No / Whatever…. Result in points? YES….

Points are something to get excited about.

Do I have full confidence that he’s the QB of the future? Not quite yet….

Am I excited about what he brings to the table? YES

:) ;):);):);)

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

mcfadden20. Says:
    June 14th, 2013 at 10:23 am

8-24 is hardly anythin to get excited about

=================

what numbers are these?

we know you dont like pryor and dont want him to start or play qb for the raiders.

• J Hill

where i agree TP belongs in a pistol type O

———————————————————–

Disagree.

That offense is going to get the QB killed.

Okay I’m excited about Pryor but I’m not holding my breath

• hwnrdr

I think he meant 8-20

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    June 14th, 2013 at 10:32 am
    mcfadden20. Says:
    June 14th, 2013 at 10:23 am

8-24 is hardly anythin to get excited about

=================

what numbers are these?

I’m a Raiders fan first unlike you who’s a players fan first before the Raiders so I’ll def b excited if he becomes something legit , but I’m not holding my breath

I don’t know much about the Pistol O..

does Pryor have experience in it?

if he doesn’t – asking the guy to learn 4 offenses in 3 years seems pretty ridiculous!!

• alex7

Gdog and Mcfadden speaking truth on Pryor’s 8-24. Reason is always in high demand around here, so thanks.

Pryor and EJ Manuel both had terrible stats vs legit D’s, but were drafted higher than their talent due to athleticism and padding stats vs weaklings.

• Whoknows

People forget that the kid was playing in his 1st game after having no real reps all season and finally getting to practice with the 1st team squad for 1/2 a week.

• mcfadden20.

I’m not holding my breath on T Jones becoming a legit CB , but that does not mean I won’t be excited , doesn’t mean I don’t want him to succeed, but. Lets b realistic , lets see how Pryor and anybody else play before we put anyone in the HOF is that fair ?

• guest123

@ mistic,

you know what everyone here thinks about Pryor? We are all very happy to see him have a decent day and most of us would love for him to pan out one day.

it’s your over the top comments that implies he’s far and away the best QB on roster and it’s only a matter of time till he shows everyone. Those are the kind of comments that make people kind of hate him.

you cause that you know. it gets to a point when it’s like hearing nails on a chalkboard.

if pryor is meant to be, just let it happen. I never saw anyone so fixated on a player campaign as you to Pryor and Debo to JR. there’s a backlash that goes with those kind of campaigns.

• hwnrdr

Whoknows Says:
    June 14th, 2013 at 10:36 am

Thank you!
    Also, I never got the padded stats thingy!

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

xraided Says:
    June 14th, 2013 at 10:29 am

the playbook is the playbook though, right?

====================

you do realize that tebow is not the first qb that had a coordinator alter the scheme to fit his skill right?

this happens most of the time when a starter goes out and the back up will play a stretch of games.

it was more noticable with tebow because they went to a full blown college read option.

not sure what you mean with that comment

• rediaR

J Hill Says:
    June 14th, 2013 at 10:33 am
    where i agree TP belongs in a pistol type O

———————————————————–

Disagree.

That offense is going to get the QB killed.
    ———————
    Disagree. Just a formation.

• mcfadden20.

Def give Pryor pass in his first game playing with Knapp and ZBS, but hold your horses let the QB competition play out , the best QB will be the starter , I honestly want Wilson to win because he seems like could be a 10 year starter but I would be just as excited for Flynn and Pryor

• hwnrdr

I agree with you McFadden20…I will root for anyone weraing the S&B! I am rooting for Pryor! Really want that kid to succeed. Will he? Maybe, maybe not! I think it depends on coaching staff… I would hate to see this kid get away and have a stellar career, especially against us! But that is why I said I cannot wait til pre-season!

• mcfadden20.

Mistic is probably Pryors gf or something ,( let the QB competition play out and we’ll see who’s the best QB

• inonewordraider

_______
    speak for yourself

• alex7

EJ Manuel

11 TDs, 2 INTs combined vs Duke, Savannah State, Wake Forest, and Boston College.

EJ Manuel

1 TDs, 4 INTs combined vs Florida, Georgia Tech, and Miami. Terrible 6.4 yards per attempt.

Not good. All projection.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

J Hill Says:
    June 14th, 2013 at 10:33 am

where i agree TP belongs in a pistol type O

———————————————————–

Disagree.

That offense is going to get the QB killed.
    =================

i would love to see the pistol, but pryor doesnt need to be in that formation to be successful. he can run any offense.

I do want to point out though that of the 4 teams that leaned on and were the best at using the pistol formation, (wash, car, sea, sf) only 1 of the qbs was injured.

I dont think this formation exposes the qb any more than other formations, and plenty of qbs that dont run get hurt every year.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

hwnrdr Says:
    June 14th, 2013 at 10:34 am

I think he meant 8-20
    ==================

what numbers are these?

@Alex7

why do you hate Pryor so much?

you’ve been rooting for him to FAIL going on 3 years now!

• J Hill

so I’ll def b excited if he becomes something

———————————————————-

I think folks need to clarify what this means.

I think Pryor is definitely better than a Tebow or Lienart right now. I think he could possibly be at least as good as Campbell right now.

I don’t know if he can be an elite QB like an Rogers or Big Ben. We will surely see this preseason.

• inonewordraider

hwnrdr Says:
    June 14th, 2013 at 10:41 am

__________
    watching him in college I didn’t think he’d ever be a good nfl qb but hearing that he’s looking going tit for tat with Flynn

add his running ability with the work ethic, I think he’s gonna win, or at least should win, the starting gig

• mcfadden20.

You play to win the games in Herman Edward voice , so I’ll be rooting for each and every player that takes a snap in every single game unlike some certain fans who only root for the team to do well if their favorite player is in the game

• hwnrdr

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    June 14th, 2013 at 10:44 am
    hwnrdr Says:
    June 14th, 2013 at 10:34 am

I think he meant 8-20
    ==================

what numbers are these?

I don’t know…I think someone posted he was 8 for 20 in passing..
    I thought it was closer to .500, but I don’t remember

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

RaiderRockstar Says:
    June 14th, 2013 at 10:36 am

I don’t know much about the Pistol O..

does Pryor have experience in it?

======================

rock you can marry on the pistol formation to any scheme

You can add a play or two, but you can run the wco from the pistol formation.

Not nearly as difficult to do as some make it out to be.

The seahawks did it in mid season with a rookie qb

• alex7

Hwnrdr

no one forgets that Pryor had limited reps. It’s just that plenty of QBs step in and show legit talent on day 1, with limited reps (and Pryor had 1.5 off-seasons and plenty of time as a backup QB to hone his throwing motion and accuracy before that game).

What really cemented the negativity was Pryor struggling with EXACTLY what all the scouting reports pointed out since his OSU days (bad reads, inaccurate passes, locking in one 1 receiver before bolting).

• mcfadden20.

I can def say 95% of the guys in here are fans of the team first and player second, 5% are fans of the players first team 2nd

training camp’s breakout player:

RaiderRockstar – Juron Criner
    Guest123 – Sio Moore
    Hwnrdr – Sio Moore
    theghostronin79 – Sio Moore
    Mcfadden20 – David Bass
    Mistic1 Tha Supavillain – Terrelle Pryor

first player to 5 votes wins!!

• Whoknows

For some unknown reason I was happy when we drafted Pryor.
    But I must admit, I am pushing for this kid to have a HOF career be Al’s last pick and all.

Alex7 Says:
    June 14th, 2013 at 10:48 am
    Hwnrdr

That’s the truth, but certain someone would think unless we’re praising Pryor it means we are hoping for his failure