All eyes on Woodson these days

ALAMEDA – All eyes are on safety Charles Woodson these days, just as they were during his first stint with the Raiders. And Woodson is well aware of the intense scrutiny
Way back in 1998, people wanted to know what all the fuss was about with a player that won the Heisman Trophy and arrived as the No. 4 pick in the NFL draft. Nowadays, they are curious to see whether Woodson has anything left to offer.
“Everybody wants to see how I’m going to come out here and work and practice,” Woodson said, “and the last few weeks I’ve showed them what kind of player I am and why I have been around this long.”
He isn’t one to stand back and watch or take off practices because of his veteran status, in much the way defensive tackle Richard Seymour did in recent seasons.
No, Woodson has been at every practice since he signed with the Raiders in May after a seven-year run with the Green Bay Packers. And he is on the field as often as possible, learning a new defense and building chemistry with players he barely knows, if at all.
Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie was with the Packers when they signed Woodson after his eight-year run with the Raiders. He put on the full-court press for Woodson once it became apparent that the market had softened.
“Wood’s been great,” Raiders coach Dennis Allen said. “He’s done everything that we’ve asked him to do. He’s really exactly what we felt we were going to be able to get in a player like that; a Hall of Fame-caliber player that’s made a lot of plays on the football over his career. We’re going to continue to ask him to do those things.”
Woodson admitted that he reached the point this offseason, soon after his release by the Packers, that he might have played his last down as an NFL player.
Before the Raiders called, Woodson met with the 49ers and Denver Broncos. He jumped at the opportunity to finish his career where it started.

Steve Corkran

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

DutchRaider77 Says:
    June 14th, 2013 at 10:58 am

I dont think this formation exposes the qb any more than other formations, and plenty of qbs that dont run get hurt every year.

___________________________________________________

Saw a defensive player on NFL network (sorry, forgot who it was, guest commentator) said that you can hit the QB on every play, aka you can cheap shot the QB on every play…lots of stuff on the internet saying the same thing. No clue if true…only time will tell.
    ==================

pistol is a formation

If i run a quick slant from the pistol the defender cant just hit the qb

i watched every wash, sea, and carolina game this year, and watched all of kaps starts only griffin was hit that way in the begining of the year, and those were triple option pitch plays not read option plays.

most of the time on read option plays the defender isnt close enough to hit the qb

• xraided

and if that’s any indication, TP had a 7. ugh!

• Marks hair

tps talents make him a real threat in the red zone.. his running threat should open things up for mcfadden.. he has a great deep ball for the open field.. and really he can score from anywhere.. I understand when people say they don’t think he’s ready now, but when people say it’s impossible to improve at the quarterback position that just sounds stupid to me.. or to say he’s not smart enough to learn an offense that sounds ridiculous too.

• guest123

xraided Says:
    June 14th, 2013 at 11:17 am
    and if that’s any indication, TP had a 7. ugh!

^^^^^^^

wow, that’s pretty dang low. I didn’t know that. thought VY had the lowest score on record.

• mcfadden20.

Proud to be joined by great company of Mistic sups loser this fine morning , his love for the Raiders is unparalleled on this universe

• xraided

Alex7 Says:
    June 14th, 2013 at 11:17 am
    Mistic

legit rookie QBs like Russell Wilson, RGIII, Luck wowed people from the get-go.

Wilson was a backup until pre-season, and his first pre-season game was AMAZING.

Pryor has been in the league 2 years now and is still going 8-24 for a measly 4 yards per attempt, not reading Ds, bad footwork, floating passes.

You just read NONE OF THAT with the legit day 1 starters.
    ___________

great logic. i second that motion. you either HAVE IT or you DONT … like i said above as well

i wish we were wrong here, i truly do. we need a dynamic offense to score some points and stay in games, because i have a feeling this D is going to be solid for us, but if they’re on the field the whole game we’re looking at 3-13 and clowning for clowney or building a BRIDGE TO WATER (c)

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

xraided Says:
    June 14th, 2013 at 11:00 am

i would love to see the pistol, but pryor doesnt need to be in that formation to be successful. he can run any offense.

____

that’s what i mean by being tebow’ish mistic

he CANNOT pass well in the pocket, esp on short plays… this is why he isn’t a starter yet
    ===================

i disagree with this take, he did plenty of passing from the pocket in college for 65% in his final season, and did a good job last preseason form the pocket as well completing 59%

nobody in Alameda says this, this is hype

his overall body of work says he throws form the pocket just fine, and at least as well as flynn and wilson, i say he is better

• mcfadden20.

Anybody else on DAVID BASS bandwagon??

• xraided

Marks Hair Says:
    June 14th, 2013 at 11:18 am
    ________

if Flynn can get us to the red zone, i have ZERO problem with TP coming in then. Flynn will most likely have RZ troubles with this offense. but TP rolling out and either taking it himself or throwing a back shoulder pass to a receiver in the corner would be a thing of beauty. again, he has throw a back shoulder the same way he did with DHB on a consistent level to even get to the point of being a RZ QB

• alex7

How many reps did Kaepernick have as Smith’s backup?
    Same as Pryor did as Palmer’s backup.

Kaep’s 1st start vs BEARS legit D: 60% accuracy, 230+ yards.

Flynn’s first start vs Patriots: 60% accuracy, 230+ yards.

Kirk Cousin’s first start: 26-37, 329 yards vs top-12 Cleveland pass D.

• Marks hair

the pistol is not an option offense.. it’s an extremely versatile power running offense that you can add variations to such as the option for the triple option.. Chris aults first quarterback in the pistol offense couldn’t run at all and they didn’t run any option for him and it was still a fantastic offense because the defense can’t see the running back coming & don’t know which way he turns until it’s too late.. it’s also a quick pass offense because the quarterback is not under center.. it’s probably the most versatile offense I’ve ever seen really

• realtruraider

We were 28th in scoring, we allowed 27.8 points per game, that’s what counts.

—————————————-

Yep, the worst Raiders defense in the last 50 years in that regard, obviously I would call that historically bad.

• alex7

Mistic

thinks this is a legit NCAA pocket-passer:

Pryor vs and completion%:

Marshall 68%
    Eastern Michigan (who?) – 76%
    Indiana – 80%
    Purdue 72%
    Minnesota 81%

• mcfadden20.

Ice in Antarctica would melt the day Mistic supa loser accepts that Pryor is not Tom Brady + P manning + J Montana + young+ elway + Marino + stabler + steinbach+ Bart starr+ Cunningham+ A Rod+ Ben + Flacco+ Brees combined so he can’t run every single freakin O out there

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

xraided Says:
    June 14th, 2013 at 11:05 am

“Jc was very good at the los, smart with the ball. jc was good at throwing on the move and avoiding pressure great leader good arm for deep passing and can pick up a 3rd and 8 with his feet.”

sorry i watched too many floaters and wide open targets down field for him to garner those kind of merits … you’re thinking of the few passes in which DMo halled in… like in the BUF game. that was about the only good lookin deep pass he hit.
    ==================

i dont care if you disagree, i have been watching jc since auburn and his overall body of work is solid.

you can continue to hate on him all you want. yes thoguh the buffalo game was a good example of the deep arm, so was the late game saving td to ford vs kc when he launched a bomb while running away from pressure throwing deep down the sidle line across his body.

He didnt even stop to set up for tyhe throw?!?!? Just uncorked a bomb!!!

pryor can be far beter than jc though.

Why did you fixate on campbell when the post was about pryor?

• hwnrdr

Someone posted the scouting report on Aaron Rodgers this morning! Although I did think he was the best QB Cal had in awhile at the time, I didn’t think SF would have taken him #1 (although I still was blown away that Alex Smith was).
    Anyways, Rodgers looked like either he forgot how to QB or he wasn’t mechanically sound as well!
    I will give this though…Rodgers did sit behind Brett Favre and he walked into a good situation!
    But that is why I agree with Mark…Pryor can get his mechanics and what not down…I don’t see why not! He may be that kid that if you tell him he can’t jump over the moon, he will prove you wrong!

• xraided

nobody in Alameda says this, this is hype

_______

college man! we’re talking COLLEGE! Colt Brennen was a BEAST at Hawaii … Colt McCoy broke records at a great school in a tough conference… WHAT ARE THEY DOING NOW?!

Troy Smith was was HEISMAN TROPHY WINNER! what did he do?

its just college stats.

NFL = Not For Long …

not the same deal in a 4 year college experience versus psychology and geology majors versus physical speciman football players fighting for their lives/careers on a NFL playing field now is it?

• willy91137

well if you’re great red zone quarterback then you ought to be able to get ball down the field

I think if they would put the pistol in it would help prior a lot

• Marks hair

you guys need to look up some of the first starts for some of the other great quarterbacks.. look up Manning look up Brady… a lot of guys don’t score three touchdowns in their first start. I’m not predicting greatness for TP or anything I just don’t understand why people think that this one quarterback cant improve while every other quarterback can..

• mcfadden20.

Let it go Supa Loser stop ruining the blog we still have no activity for the next 4 weeks so don’t waste space

• guest123

I don’t know how, but defensive coordinators are paid money to stop offenses. It may take some time, some adjustments, but they will one day find a solution to the pistol offense. Teams who rely too much on the QB option are going to have secret bounties placed on taking out QB’s knees. Already you hear RG3 saying he wants to rush the ball no more than 70 times next year. Last year, ran ~ 120 carries.

• xraided

Mistic, i’m not hating on the guy, i want him to succeed. he just hasn’t shown enough that he can do it

i’ll say it time and time again, if he turns into Big Ben on crack because of those wheels he has, then the Raiders won’t need Bridgewater next year(get clowney instead) and reg can stack the team around TP with some big name FA receivers that know how to cater to a running QB

that’s just an ideal fit for our team going forward.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

J Hill Says:
    June 14th, 2013 at 11:12 am

im telling you now he is the most exciting qb we have drafted or traded for in decades

———————————————————–

You and I had the same take on Pryor before we drafted him = NOT INTERESTED.
    ================

untrue

i thought getting pryor as a 3rd round sup draftee could be the steal of the draft a couple of years down the line.

I was not interested in the talk of pryor stepping right in and replacing jc.

he needed time because he didnt even get his senior season and needed some polish

:) go A’s

• ohioraider

willy91137 Says:
    June 14th, 2013 at 11:15 am

The idea of the postal is you have one more blocker the quarterback

the running back stand directly behind the quarterback

when the ball is snapped to the quarterback he turns around the defense has no idea where the balls going until they break

and this takes place close to the line of scrimmage than the shotgun
    ————————————-
    So which guy goes postal? Maybe the coach after they fuk up the play?

• xraided

Marks Hair Says:
    June 14th, 2013 at 11:25 am
    _____

against scrubs man, scrubs. backups that couldn’t get footing on a very very wet field from all the rain/ice from hail … even so TP couldn’t hit 50% of his receivers(yes there were 4 drops)

besides, 1 of the TD’s came on a very short field after the Doltz turned it over

i just need to see more i guess. preseason will be the tell tale, and even sooner training camp coming up. he will get his reps. this is his chance if the other 2 continue to stink up the field

• hwnrdr

Troy Smith was was HEISMAN TROPHY WINNER! what did he do?

its just college stats.

NFL = Not For Long …

Agreed…but that works both ways, right?

A’s 2013 WS Champs order your jerseys now

• Marks hair

you could run a pistol offense with Flynn.. it’s not an option offense.. it’s just that adding the option to the pistol with an athletic quarterback makes it that much harder to stop

• nycraider

Still bothers me how at a press conference a reporter specifically asks about a practice squad player but during the entire conference no one asks DA to compare Flynn, Pryor and Wilson

Wow LAKERS TRADED D HOWARD TO CLIPS FOR BLEDSOE , GRIFFIN AND BILLUPS

• Marks hair

exactly you do need to see more of TP. everyone does.. he hasn’t proven himself, but there’s also been no indication that he has plateaued or that he won’t improve to starters level..

• J Hill

untrue

————————————————————

My bad.

I thought you weren’t high on him at all.

• mcfadden20.

Go Pryor it’s your birthday , we going to party like its your birthday

• Marks hair

yeah.. everyone in Laker land wishes

• mcfadden20.

Supa loser is going to call every black QB we draft in 6th round or pick up in FA a steal of the century

• DutchRaider77

Rich Gannon: My last question. I just want to follow up on Aaron Rodgers. I know you study a lot of tape. I know you studied Aaron Rodgers coming out of Cal and his throwing mechanics, his stroke, his motion. As a former quarterback I think Mike McCarthy’s done an excellent job of training him, his footwork and all of those things. In terms of his stroke and in terms of his arm strength I think he’s one of the best in the business. I don’t know that anyone has as strong an arm as this guy

Phil Simms: I don’t think there’s anybody in the game that can flick and make the throws…

Rich Gannon: and spin it-

Phil Simms:-and spins it. Oh my gosh can he rotate the ball which makes him an all weather thrower, that’s why it’s important. You know Rich I saw him come out of college and I sit here and I say this with all honesty- I’ve been wrong on a few- not many- but I didn’t like him. I thought ‘Man, that throwing motion. That’s looks like something out of Pop Warner football-’

Rich Gannon: -they changed it though, a little bit

Phil Simms:. So I went up there, watched him his first year in practice. “Awful,” I said “Wow. He’s awful.”

Second year I went up there and I remember somebody going “What did you think?” I said “Well the Packers have to be worried that this guy is never going to play for them. I mean really, and you know what, and this is the truth; they were worried.

Then year three I go up there and I’m watching out of the corner of my eye and I go “Wow.” I thought it was Brett and I turned and I watched Aaron Rodgers and I went “Oh my God” and after practice is almost over I said, “Hey Aaron!”

He goes “Oh, hey Phil”.

I said, “Don’t take this the wrong way, but your throwing- it’s unbelievable.”

He goes “Yeah, I know, I’m not taking it wrong, don’t worry. Thanks, I appreciate it. Look, I kind of went back to being natural. Kind of taught myself, they taught me some things.”

Rich, it was an unbelievable transformation. He really went from on a scale of 1-10; he went from a three to a ten. That’s about what I thought. I thought he was a sub-par NFL thrower. Below average, way below average to arguably the best now. It’s unbelievable.

________________________________________________

Why can’t Pryor? Heck, I would be happy with a 6-7 with his athletic ability…

• alex7

Brady completed more than 50% of his passes.
    Brady threw for more yards in fewer attempts.
    Brady didn’t have a scouting report of “can’t read the D, bad footwork, inaccurate vs legit D’s”

And Eli? Come on. #1 pick overall, in that family, who cares what he does his first game.

• alex7

talking about Brady’s first start up there.

• mcfadden20.

We could draft a black QB who has never won a single game in college Mistic would applaud him for stickin with a losing program and applaud his skills to lose with fashion and etc etc and call it the greatest day in raiders history

GO RAIDERS ;)

CODE BLACK

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

alex7 Says:
    June 14th, 2013 at 11:17 am

Mistic

legit rookie QBs like Russell Wilson, RGIII, Luck wowed people from the get-go.

===================

alex you did not answer my questions or give the example i asked for.

wilson shined in preseason then struggled for his first half of the year, and was on watch for being benched.

pryor had no preseason his rookie year, he was suspended.

pryor had a very solid preseason in his first preseason last year, and put up numbers in his first star similar to wilsons first start

wilson first start

18/34 153 yards 1 td 1 int 52 % cmp rating 62 in a loss

pryor

12/28 150 yards 3 tds 1 int 47% cmp rating of 70 in a loss

in fact wilson in his 7th start was far worse than pryor

wilson and pryor both played in pro style offense in the big 10

i think you are talking about players that you dont really and have never really watched play
    9/23 122 yards 39 % cmp o tds 1 int rating of 38 loss

• alex7

Dutch

Phil Simms is a game commentator, not a scout.

Draft Insiders’ – Yearbook ’05 Scouting Report – Aaron Rodgers – Top Overall #1 Prospect.

1. * Aaron Rodgers #8 – 6’2″ 220 lbs. – Cal – Rating 92

Talented strong-armed junior passer finished his career with back-to-back excellent efforts as a junior and sophomore. Aaron is an excellent passer who combines arm strength, mechanics and delivery to make all the throws.

Possesses a strong live arm with the mobility to be a threat on the perimeter and the agility to throw on the move. He has a compact quick delivery with sound mechanics that allows him to throw the ball very accurately on a game to game basis.

• nycraider

Can someone explain the importance of a QBs first game? TP6 had a higheer qb rating than mannings and brady. But who cares what does that mean

• alex7

Mistic

so you admit Wilson completed over half his passes (he was known as an INCREDIBLY ACCURATE NCAA passer) while Pryor completed far fewer than half his throws.

So you agree Wilson outperformed Pryor, in a much-more meaningful game?

training camp’s breakout player:

RaiderRockstar – Juron Criner
    Guest123 – Sio Moore
    Hwnrdr – Sio Moore
    theghostronin79 – Sio Moore
    Mcfadden20 – David Bass
    Mistic1 Tha Supavillain – Terrelle Pryor
    Thec – Terrelle Pryor

first player to 5 votes wins!!

• hwnrdr

mcfadden20. Says:
    June 14th, 2013 at 11:31 am
    Wow LAKERS TRADED D HOWARD TO CLIPS FOR BLEDSOE , GRIFFIN AND BILLUPS

LOL…unfortunately, LA can’t trade Howard!

• willy91137

________________________________________________

Why can’t Pryor? Heck, I would be happy with a 6-7 with his athletic ability…
    willy
    I’m sure he can

Rogers coming out of Cal he was terrible I remember seing his last game in college

he was horrible