Coach Allen transcript after final day of mini camp

The Raiders just concluded the third and final day of their mandatory mini camp. Player interviews aren’t for another 30 minutes or so. So, to tide you over, here’s the transcript from coach Dennis Allen’s news conference Thursday:

Allen: First of all, I’ll just say this was a good camp. I thought OTAs, I thought we improved, I thought we got better. I like this football team. I like their mentality, I like where we’re at, I like the way they’re working. Obviously we’re going to give them some time off before we go to training camp, but I think we’re all anxious to get there, get the pads on and really see what we’ve got. With that I’ll open it up to questions.

Q: Anything surprise you?
Allen: I don’t know if surprised, I’ve been pleased with the work that these guys have put in, and obviously we’re not the finished product. We’ve still got a lot of improvement to do, but I wouldn’t say that’s any different than any of the other 31 teams. But I like their mentality, and I like the way that they work.

Q: Your message today for end of camp . .
Allen: Well, I haven’t left ‘em yet. I’m going to go back in there and meet with ‘em and reiterate some of the things I’m telling you guys. I like this football team. I like the players on this team and I’m excited to see what they can do once they get into training camp.

Q: How about in terms of what is expected of them?
Allen: Well, yeah, we spoke to ‘em a little bit this morning about that. We all understand that we put a lot of work into this, and this is the time of year that we’ve got to mind our Ps and Qs and do the right things and get back to training camp in shape, come back to training camp mentally and physically ready to go.

Q: A big year for McFadden, is he approaching it any differently?
Allen: I don’t know if I’d say I’ve seen anything different of Darren. I’d say Darren has always been a guy that’s come in and worked. One thing we have addressed with him a little bit, and something we’ve talked about is a leadership role on the team, helping that locker room and I’ve seen him do a nice job in that regard.

Q: In terms of guys who haven’t played in minicamp (injuries), concerned about any of them not being ready for start of training camp?
Allen: No. I anticipate everybody being ready to go.

Q: Have you seen something in this three days that may have altered or influenced how you start regular camp?
Allen: I don’t think there’s going to be anything that influences the way we start camp, but I will say that again, we got a lot of change, a lot of turnover on this football team and the thing I’ve been the most pleased with is the mindset of this team. I know there’s a lot of experts out there that might thing differently, but I like this football team.

What has Greg Olson brought to the offense?
“I think he brings an element of creativity. I like some of the things that they’re doing with him and Tony Sparano in the run game. I like what we’re doing from that standpoint. And he brings some enthusiasm and an air of confidence to the team.”

A couple of the players said he stops them in the hallways and gives them ideas. Is there a difference between having set plays and having an evolving offense?
“Yeah, absolutely, I think that’s what great coaching is. I think great coaching is adapting a scheme to fit the players that you have. Putting those players in the position to give them the best chance to have success. I think that he’s done a real nice job of that from an offensive standpoint.”

What do you see specifically from the quarterbacks over the last month?
“I think they’ve gotten better. I really do. We’re not where we need to be yet but we’re not playing tomorrow. I feel good about where we’re at from a quarterback standpoint. We got some different elements at the quarterback position, I think all of them have their strengths and we got to try to put them in position to try to utilize their strengths.”

How much contact can you have with the players between now and training camp?
“We can have contact but I think it’s important this time of year, we’re gonna keep tabs a little bit and make sure we know where everybody is but at the end of the day, they gotta get away a little bit too. Get refreshed and get ready for training camp because it’ll be a grind once we get there.”

They go home with playbooks and DVD’s?
“We generally keep that stuff in house but they got a lot of notes and stuff that they’ve taken over the course of the last 13 practices.”

As coaches, do you guys take time off too?
“Yeah.”

The quarterback play from two days ago until today is like night and day, what do you attribute that to?
“I think it’s continue to get reps. Continue to get the work. These guys have done a nice job. We knew going into this from the very beginning, not only from the quarterback position because that seems to be the focus of everybody, but with our football team. Don’t worry about where you’re at right now. Just keep grinding, keep working and if you keep doing that you’re gonna get better. And that’s what these guys have done.”

Q: Spending a lot of time with the DBs?
A: You always go back home to mama. That’s a spot that I have a great passion for. I feel like in the secondary that that’s the most critical spot to make sure you’re on it. I have great confidence in the coaches we have back there. I have great confidence in those players that we brought in here but that’s a place that yeah I’ve spent a little bit more time.

Q: Seen from Rashad Jennings?
A: I think up to this point he’s done a nice job for us. He moves well, he’s a big back. I think the telltale will be when we get into the pads does he run like a big back in the pads. We’ll find that out when we get to training camp.

Q: Woodson’s impact?
A: He brings an air confidence to the whole group, not just the secondary but really the team in general. Anytime you can have a player of that caliber that still has a lot of football left in him and bring that into your team and your organization it fills your team with a lot more confidence. That’s one of the big things that he brings.

Q: Olawale?
A: He’s done a nice job in the camp. He’s really improved from the end of last season to this point. I’m looking forward to getting him in training camp and seeing where he’s at.

Q: Besides Wiz and Veldheer, is offensive line wide open?
A: Hey listen. We all have ideas and thoughts of where we’re at and you have a vision of what you think it’s going to look like. Really at the end of the day you let the competition play out. It will tell you who should be at what positions. It always shakes out at the end. I’ve been pleased with the competition really we’ve had throughout the football team.

Steve Corkran

• Thec

1 NATION

• the famous dr robert

The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 1:59 pm
    Kell—ur a pretty sh1tty person. I was in no mood to respond to ur vile comments last night but u are a fat bald ugly human.

Hard to imagine a guy that fat being gutless but u pulled it off.

U have made fun of people in wheelchairs and with deformities.

Now u show zero class when a blogger has a death of someone close to them to deal with.

I feel sorry for u and ur wife. She has to regret the day she married such a pig.

• theghostronin79

KoolKell Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 1:48 pm
    Pryor #1 yet?

===========

Nope…..But sounds as if he had his best day of the offseason today.

• Priesttj12

Priesttj12 Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 2:01 pm
    Thec Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 1:55 pm
    When Pryor beats out Flynn, wonder how many of you guys will cease to exist on this blog.
    ***********************************
    About 20% is the usual. Some have already take leave. Those who said he would NEVER make a start as a Oakland Raider.

• the famous dr robert

Thec Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 1:55 pm
    ******
    How many will leave if he fails?

• hwnrdr

Woooohoooo!

• Priesttj12

theghostronin79 Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 2:01 pm
    KoolKell Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 1:48 pm
    Pryor #1 yet?

===========

Nope…..But sounds as if he had his best day of the offseason today.
    ****************************************
    Just wait ’til camp starts, this is nothing.

• the famous dr robert

I’m hoping several

• J Hill

————————————————————

You’re just going to hear the comment I HATE the most on hear …

“I’ll gladly eat my crow”

• Breaking_Black

Pryor threw a pass to Al Davis??
    Was that one of the sputniks or the spike?

• the famous dr robert

Raider E Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 1:58 pm
    We are always hard on QB’s historically. My dad used to call Plunkett, Pigface. Stabler and Hostetler are the only ones I remember him liking.

Although, he loved Jeff George’s arm, but that is where that ended.
    *******
    I always felt George got a raw deal. He’s from Indiana and played a few years before I did so I was rooting for him.

Hoping to hit the jackpot like this never seems to work out for the Raiders at QB.

***

@Gdog

Reggie could have drafted the Top QB available in RD1 this year: Manuel or Smith

Could have drafted Glennon, Barkley or Nassib in RD3

Last year he could have drafted Kirk Cousins 95th overall

BigMac better hope none of these guys become Franchise QB’s and we’re sitting here with our thumbs up our butts looking for a QB next offseason, too

• RAIDERMAN99

Priesttj12 Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 1:53 pm
    RAIDERMAN99 Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 1:44 pm
    For those of you actively handicapping the RAID QB competition based on media tweets…here’s something to consider.

Have you read even one tweet about TP, MF or TW scrambling for a gain ?

Any talk about a QB avoiding a sack, tucking it, and running ?

Care to guess why this hasn’t happened ?

It’s bcz the QB’s are being told to sit in the pocket, make a read, and throw it.

Maybe a roll out or two, but NO TUCK AND RUN.

That’s where the RAIDS are at right now.

OLSON and TITS don’t want to see their QB’s risking injury by running. Not now.

When the real bullets start flying, you can bet your azz that a QBs ability to use his legs to extend plays and drives will be much more important and a factor to be considered than where the RAIDS are at NOW.

If TP can show that he’s in the same ballpark as MF throwing the ball at THIS stage, he’s going to be even MORE DANGEROUS when he’s allowed to use his LEGS.
    *****************************************************
    RM99, they’re not allowed to in passing drills. They trying to get them solid in the passing schemes and reads. You’ll see plenty in camp, especially from you know who.
    =============================================
    That’s right, BHP.

Remember the old saying when Willie Gault was even with a DB trying to cover him ?

“If he’s even he’s leaving.”

Well, that’s the way I’m looking at these OTAs when it comes to TP.

If he can show he’s ‘even’, throwing it in these drills…

He’s ‘leaving’ when he can use the REST of his game.

FIRE TITS YESTERDAY.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

————————–
    Wow, too funny.

• nycraider

just curious to the pryor haters, what record do you think the raiders will have with Flynn at QB..How many more wins in your opinion is Flynn worth? Then what QB will sell more tickets and energize the fan base?

• The_Judge37

Q: Spending a lot of time with the DBs?
    A: You always go back home to mama
    ———–

Please, go home to your mama’s and stay there.

• Scourge

the famous dr robert Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Hard to imagine a guy that fat being gutless but u pulled it off.

U have made fun of people in wheelchairs and with deformities.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It’s nice to see you guys getting along. Imagine if you hated each other!

:mrgreen:

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 2:01 pm
    The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Hard to imagine a guy that fat being gutless but u pulled it off.

U have made fun of people in wheelchairs and with deformities.

————————–
    I don’t give a fk about you, period.

• the famous dr robert

Nycraider Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 2:10 pm
    ******
    Winning energizes the fan base.

Best qb will play.

• Thec

The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 2:02 pm
    Thec Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 1:55 pm
    ******
    How many will leave if he fails?

+++++++==
    from the intel that I have zero

• nycraider

The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 2:12 pm
    Nycraider Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 2:10 pm
    ******
    Winning energizes the fan base.

Best qb will play.
    ————–
    define winning..6-10?

One of the reporters asked Dennis Allen about Jamize Olawale? Really?

what a waste of a question!

• the famous dr robert

KoolKell Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 2:12 pm
    The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 2:01 pm
    The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Hard to imagine a guy that fat being gutless but u pulled it off.

U have made fun of people in wheelchairs and with deformities.

————————–
    I don’t give a fk about you, period.
    ********
    Then quit fvcking always talking about me u blob.

Ur a sh1t bag person. It must be hard to look at urself in the mirror.

• the famous dr robert

Thec Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 2:16 pm
    The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 2:02 pm
    Thec Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 1:55 pm
    ******
    How many will leave if he fails?

+++++++==
    from the intel that I have zero
    ******
    Dang

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Sounded like DA is saying nothing going to change until camp and pads. That’s where I expect Pryor to have an advantage physically.

But, seems he did better in non- contact OTA’s too.

@Kell

sounds like Nix is pushing Bergstrom & Brisiel at the guard spots. Watson might start pushing Barnes, too

Want to see if DMo17 can stay healthy and play like a #1 or if Streater & Criner push him out of the way completely

• RAIDERMAN99

==============================================
    This brain dead fvckwad says this now ?

Guess he didn’t know it last year.

FIRE TITS YESTERDAY.

the good part is Dennis Allen expects 100% participation at t-camp

everybody should be healed up and ready to play in 6 weeks

It’ll be interesting to see if we add any veteran players betweeen now and then.

I know the rest of the draft picks will get signed.

Might be a long drought between posts from Cork & McDonald again

• The_Judge37

22.RaiderRockstar Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 2:17 pm
    One of the reporters asked Dennis Allen about Jamize Olawale? Really?

what a waste of a question!
    ——

Yeah, Cork “Flynn’d” that one

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Thec Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 1:55 pm
    ———————————-
    It’ll go something like this,

Crossposting Btch says
    June 14 2014

I was telling you people a year ago that Pryor had a chance IF he could pass.
    ——————-
    Never heard of the fkr before.

• http://microwave_economics 909RaiderLifer

I’m waiting to see if they can BLOCK and TACKLE. Otherwise, whomever plays QB wont make any difference…

• Raider Riff

The blog has been troll central lately. As bad as its ever been.

this will probably be an NBA blog from now until next friday

24/7 Heat & Spurs

after that?

I’m guessing religion, politics, racism, etc

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

RaiderRockstar Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 2:26 pm
    @Kell

——————————————
    We’ll see. I’m thinking Streater/Criner on possession plays, DMo as the deep threat. But sounds like dropping everything coming his way at mini-camp.

• The_Judge37

I want to know who’s been getting the most 1st team time with the TE’s, WR’s and LB’s.

Denarius Moore = Braylon Edwards ??

• Thec

KoolKell Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 2:30 pm
    Thec Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 1:55 pm
    ———————————-
    It’ll go something like this,

Crossposting Btch says
    June 14 2014

I was telling you people a year ago that Pryor had a chance IF he could pass.
    ——————-
    Never heard of the fkr before.

++++++++++

ROFLMAO……

• Thec

Been telling you guys LUCAS NIX.

• Thec

Never heard of the fkr before.

++++++++++=

Still LMAO…

• Thec

Rock, you need to put down adult beverages…

DMO = Footballer.

@Thec

DMo17 is a big play receiver, with a case of the dropsies so far this offseason.

I’d recruit the Raider greats to come and mentor him before training camp, make sure his head is on straight

• spiff

nobody talking ’bout this but i’m thinking with everyone healthy when training camp begins. we are gonna have a pretty good defense……..

• RAIDERMAN99

RaiderRockstar Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 2:32 pm
    this will probably be an NBA blog from now until next friday

24/7 Heat & Spurs

after that?

I’m guessing religion, politics, racism, etc
    ===========================================
    You do realize that after Corky posts a few player interviews today, that unless the RAIDS hire/fire/sign/cut someone – that there will be a minimum of 5 days between posts – with the comment count routinely approaching 4k, right ?

Now, another Blogmaster might understand the need for a daily post. Even if there’s no real news.

Just to keep things fresh. Introduce a RAIDER topic for discussion.

Your boy Cork ?

Pfft.

Runs this blog like Tits coaches.

• The_Judge37

RaiderRockstar Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 2:41 pm
    @Thec

—-

I haven’t heard much about him dropping anything these OTA’s.

Only 9 WR’s had more drops than DMo17 last year and Moore had a higher drop percentage than all of them except for Randall Cobb (Packer smurf)

• jesusraiderjim

I haven’t heard about Dmo droppin shvt either. Sometimes this blog is like the main stream media full of shvt making things up.

• jesusraiderjim

@RRS

Okay I feel ya. Just sayin nothing about him dropping a lot of balls at OTA’s

• spiff

i wanna see this o- line produce a powerful run game. if and i say again if d-mac can stay healthy ,along with reece jennings and murray. oakland can have very strong run game.

• The Big Banana

Am I missing anything by not reading the DA transcript above?

• The_Judge37