Raiders sign Watson, Hayden remains

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Wednesday, July 24th, 2013 at 7:29 pm in Oakland Raiders.

The Raiders announced the signing of second-round draft pick Menelik Watson Wednesday, leaving first-round pick D.J. Hayden as the last member of the draft class who is not under contract.

Watson (6-foot-5, 315 pounds) was the 42nd overall pick out of Florida State and is expected to compete with incumbent Khalif Barnes for the starting job at right tackle when the Raiders begin training camp practices Friday morning.

It is not clear whether Hayden, the No. 12 pick in the first round, is ready to practice following an offseason procedure for scar tissue in his abdomen. Hayden underwent major surgery for a torn inferior vena cava _ a vein leading to his heart _ in November.

Players arrived at training camp Wednesday, although it’s not clear whether everyone is present since coach Dennis Allen doesn’t speak to the media until the club completes its first practice.

Raiders players undergo physicals Thursday and attend meetings in advance of Friday’s first practice.

• 0ak r8rs

DJ Johnny Says:
    July 25th, 2013 at 7:12 am
    In regard to Adams, the one big thing I saw him do is look back for the ball and try and make a play..and have the ability to do so. That pick of Manning last yr is perfect example of what i’m talking about.

I can’t remember the last corner we’ve had that has done that.

CJ37 was famous for not knowing where the ball was.

@@@@@@

Lets be clear. I’m not down on Adams. But at this point I think Porter is our number one CB.

• guest123

my wife is 37 weeks pregnant. the summer has been PLENTY long bro

*******

@ Rock,

I feel for you bro. I do. My wife delivered our last baby in October, 2011 and the summer was long & hot. You guys are in the homestretch now.

• R8ER MIKE

?? sleeping bag…. cant i just do like i usually do and just pass out on the lawn ??

• guest123

My son’s 7th bday is this Saturday. We didn’t plan a birthday party. Instead we are going to Disney World on Monday for a daytrip. It still kinda sucks and I feel guilty about it.

• http://www.safc.com/the-club/stadium/about-the-stadium-of-light neilb

R8ER MIKE Says:
    July 25th, 2013 at 7:20 am

==================================================

Brings back so many memories…….

• raidertbone

Seed your lawn … SEED IT!!

• willy91137

Reggie told Porter that he has to give up his number so we can sell more jerseys

then he said don’t worry Porter you’ll get your number 22 when he gets cut

• raidertbone

Porter will probably end up with 22 – I agree

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“my wife is 37 weeks pregnant”

Sounds like someone is over due?

Does she complain about how hot it is outside?

• guest123

Raiders interested in OL Wharton, interest is high according to Bill Williamson.

I don’t consider 8-8 a winning team. Mark doesn’t either. When we win like we are going to eventually, the sellouts will come.

***

@G123

I agree with you.

after the Raiders finish 10-6 this year, I think Mark will do a Year2Year lease at the coliseum and next year we can take the tarps off. then after another winning season we’ll get that new stadium agreement (to house more than 50k)

• guest123
  • raidertbone

Week 1 vs. Indy – just about six weeks away – CAN’T WAIT!!

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

hwnrdr Says: Welcome back Purv!
    R8ER MIKE Says: Llama man !! welcome back brother !!
    ==========================================

Thank you. Great to be back.

Sounds like someone is over due?

***

@silver

no. 40 weeks gestation is the “due date” which is 08/16

anything over 37 weeks is considered FULL TERM though

wifey could have our baby girl tomorrow and everything would be fine. no prematurity. no placing baby in the NICU

• J Hill

You can’t say those r limited stats and then 3 posted before that tell me he has picks in 50% of his games, even tho he’s only played 4 games.

—————————————————————————

I said in limited STARTS!!!

Not STATS.

15 tackles and 2 picks in 4 starts or so is damn good.

I stand by that statement.

RaiderRockstar Says:
    July 24th, 2013 at 9:53 am
    Carson Palmer will be a guest on NBC Sports Network today at 5pm (Eastern)

-PFT

***

@Purv

did you catch this?

• hwnrdr

203.R8ER MIKE Says:
    July 25th, 2013 at 7:20 am

LOL…I agree with Neil…brings back memories! But now that we’re older…I was trying to be nice!

@G123

• Just Fire Baby

Does old Mike pass out on the lawn before or after the party?

Because you got to ask with these old-timers.

• bcz24

15 tackles and 2 picks in 4 starts or so is damn good
    ******
    Sure. But that’s not the truth. He had 15 tackles and 2 picks in 10 games. He had 7 tackles and 2 picks in his 4 starts. Outside of the Denver game (he played very well in that) he was equally as bad as the rest of our secondary.

Like I said. He is a depth guy. If we have to count on him to start games this year, we are in real trouble.

• willy91137

John Elway is so dumb he can’t even run a fax machine when that went down in Denver I thought to myself who was the ringleader over there running that circus

then I find out it’s a guy with a horse face I hope we go into Denver a kick their asses

if we only win one game I hope is that one

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“please don’t forget to give us updates on your experience with the food at Disney World, lol”

We used to call it DisneyLine instead of Disneyland!

***

wow, G123

thanks for the news. Travelle is a VERY experienced LG

that would be a huge obstacle for guys like Bergs & Nix

probably makes one of them camp fodder, if TW signs

• http://000 Bob Marley

neilb Says:

”He just brings a whole wealth of knowledge. He’s coaching things I’d never even heard of in my life and all of a sudden you realize how much it helps.

He also brings a sort of intensity with him. He’s a fun guy to be around, but when it comes down to business, he’s pretty intense. The whole o-line kind of mimics that character.

The o-line coach creates the personality for the o-line and that’s the kind of personality you want is a Tony Sparano personality”.

- Bergstrom on Sparano from Raiders.com

***************************************

Geeting Tony Sparano to coach the OL was the best move of the off-season for the Raiders.

Specially considering the youth of the unit, Veldheer and Wis are coachable young vets while Bergstrom, Nix and Watson can learn the game from Tony.

Then there’s a guy like Brisiel, who Eric Winston called “the toughest player he’s been around”, hopefully he makes a smooth transition into a more aggressive blocking scheme and finally Barnes, we know he’s aloof and always joking around according to teammates, maybe Sparano lights a fire under his belt and he raises his game a notch or two.

When you don’t have a premier QB, it all starts in the trenches, a dominating OL will open up a ton of options for this Offense to attack.

• http://www.safc.com/the-club/stadium/about-the-stadium-of-light neilb

Time to go.

Have a great Thursday everyone.

Richardson, the 13th overall pick in the draft signed with the NY Boogers yesterday…

• R8ER MIKE

Just Fire Baby Says:
    July 25th, 2013 at 7:32 am
    Does old Mike pass out on the lawn before or after the party?

Because you got to ask with these old-timers.

****************************************
    both !! lol, i am a true redneck !!

• guest123

********

@ Rock,

Disney passes were 3 days for 99 dollars till the end of June. Now they are ~100 dollars/day so the tix alone will cost me $500 just for the Magic Kingdom park. I’m probably going to spring for the $28 all day meal passes as well.

I’ll let you know about the food at Disney when I get back.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

RaiderRockstar Says:
    Carson Palmer will be a guest on NBC Sports Network today at 5pm (Eastern)
    @Purv
    did you catch this?
    =======================================================

I did not. Though unable to post, I’ve been keeping up, but I missed that.
    Thanks for the heads up, and for keeping Palmer in the convo during my exile!

When you don’t have a premier QB, it all starts in the trenches

***

@Marley

according to Charlie, it all starts in the trenches anyway!

besides, who says Flynn isn’t a premier QB?

MF = Bart Starr

• guest123

Travelle is a VERY experienced LG

that would be a huge obstacle for guys like Bergs & Nix

probably makes one of them camp fodder, if TW signs

**********

@ Rock,

FWIW, although Williamson said the interest by the Raiders is high, didn’t say that Wharton’s interest was high. Looks to be chasing the almighty dollar.

@Purv

what got you banned?

I blame Palmer!

• SnBG

Good morning nation.

***

@G123

He visited the Panthers yesterday and the Broncos tomorrow

• http://000 Bob Marley

Not sold on Wharton, 32 year old, 300 plus lbs. guy coming off a torn ACL, seems like a huge risk, I guess a non-guaranteed minimum vet offer would be ok but we won’t be the only team offering it.

• http://000 Bob Marley

Later.

• willy91137

if you don’t have a good quarterback you need a strong offensive line what the hell is that

asked Peyton Manning how important and offenses line is all quarterbacks need a great offenseline to succeed in this league if we can give Matt Flynn sometimes we know he can throw touchdowns

he threw six in one game we need wide receivers to get on the same page

this is a team they all have to be on the same page

if we can give Matt Flynn sometimes we know he can throw touchdowns

he threw six in one game we need wide receivers to get on the same page

***

@willy

the Packers had an AWFUL o-line when Flynn was killing it in Green Bay. He had WR’s who could get open, make the catch and YAC

I agree QB/WR chemistry is important

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“should be a little easier to get 12th overall pick Hayden inked today, I would think”

If I was Reggie I would want to see him make some tackles and hit someone hard on the field before singing him to a contract. BUT I am not Reggie and there are probably rules in place that say how much he can make when he is allowed on the field etc.

@Marley

Wharton probably wants to play for a winner, so he would pick Denver over Oakland … unless Reggie outbids Elways, like he did for Woodson

yeah – I don’t think the Horse Humpers would offer more than vet minimum

• bcz24

• The_Judge37

So is Hayden holding out, or has he just not been release from the morgue yet?

• The_Judge37

242.bcz24 Says:
    July 25th, 2013 at 8:06 am
    —–

For Hayden and his Agent, i’m pretty sure any such clause will be a pretty big deal. Especially considering the team drafted him knowing his condition.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“I agree with Bill Williamson, I think any hold up with Hayden is in hammering out a clause to protect the team from injury.”

One would think…

***

@silver

Hayden would have to sign an injury waiver to participate in camp without a contract. He wouldn’t be the first player to do so, but it’s risky business for sure!

the team drafted him knowing his condition.

***

@Judge

I’m not sure the team knew he would have to have the surgery to remove scar tissue … he got some reps at OTA’s before they shut him down, remember?

• SnBG

Hayden may wait until a deal is struck before he gets on the field. To risky for him to do otherwise.

• The_Judge37

——-

They might have suspected that he would need maintience on his previous surgery since the doctors seemed to talk about the scar tissue removal like it was standard procedure for someone with his type of surgically repaired injury.

Reggie might have considered that if he wasn’t elbow deep in Bisquick

• willy91137

I look at it like this we drafted him Dr. said he was cleared to play

if they put a clause in that contract about injuries if something comes up

the Raiders will say it’s from his surgery hamstring broken leg caused by his heart surgery

so you don’t get paid Reggie does not throw money around Reggie is a tough negotiator

the problems are probably having is guaranteed money Reggie don’t want to write a big check and the kid can play this year