Raiders sign Watson, Hayden remains

The Raiders announced the signing of second-round draft pick Menelik Watson Wednesday, leaving first-round pick D.J. Hayden as the last member of the draft class who is not under contract.

Watson (6-foot-5, 315 pounds) was the 42nd overall pick out of Florida State and is expected to compete with incumbent Khalif Barnes for the starting job at right tackle when the Raiders begin training camp practices Friday morning.

It is not clear whether Hayden, the No. 12 pick in the first round, is ready to practice following an offseason procedure for scar tissue in his abdomen. Hayden underwent major surgery for a torn inferior vena cava _ a vein leading to his heart _ in November.

Players arrived at training camp Wednesday, although it’s not clear whether everyone is present since coach Dennis Allen doesn’t speak to the media until the club completes its first practice.

Raiders players undergo physicals Thursday and attend meetings in advance of Friday’s first practice.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

RaiderRockstar Says:

@Purv

what got you banned?

I blame Palmer!
    ====================================================

Hah! Nah. as passionate as I might get opining/arguing football, I wouldn’t veer into banworthy territory.
    Around 1:00 am, 6/11, Dr. Rob was in one of his full manic meltdown modes (3M?) and Crawfish Joe, myself, and a few others were ripping him and Cork pulled the plug. Removed a bunch of comments and commenters and I think I was a dolphin caught in the tuna net.
    Didn’t care much until early last week, and then, despite herculean efforts by Cork, couldn’t convince wordpress to let me post. Had to bring in the big guns(Becker) to finally resolve it.

• DJ Johnny

The_Judge37 Says:
    July 25th, 2013 at 8:06 am
    So is Hayden holding out, or has he just not been release from the morgue yet?

LMAO.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“For Hayden and his Agent, i’m pretty sure any such clause will be a pretty big deal. Especially considering the team drafted him knowing his condition.”

This is true but since his situation is unique there might be some contract language that addresses the pre existing conditions.

• ElkGRaider

Let’s go! Training camp. Put the women and children to bed! Yessir!

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

SnBG Says: Good morning nation.
    =====================================

Good Morning, SnBG, from ‘not Scourge’!

• ElkGRaider

Why is everyone trippin out on Hayden? There are many #1′s not signed.

• SnBG

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    July 25th, 2013 at 8:23 am
    SnBG Says: Good morning nation.
    =====================================

Good Morning, SnBG, from ‘not Scourge’!
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Good morning Purvis!

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“would have to sign an injury waiver to participate in camp without a contract.”

I knew there would be policies and procedures in place to protect players like that I just wants sure. Thank you for clearing that up RR.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says

Glad to have you back dude.

So you were banned and you got them to let you back in that is pretty amazing feat who did you email just curious because you always see people like KK threaten to email someone blah blah just wanted the truth so I am asking you?

• willy91137

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I am sure that is right you drafted him now you pay him and Reggie is saying

not so fast here we took a chance on him now give us a break and the agent is saying #$%^@& YOU you cheap SoB

Carmelo Anthony on joining the Lakers: “I doubt it.”

Report: Kenyon Martin reaches deal to return to Knicks

Report: Mike Miller agrees to play for Memphis Grizzlies

Thunder bringing back Derek Fisher on a one-year contract

Reports: John Wall, Wizards near five year, $80 million deal

Reggie might have considered that if he wasn’t elbow deep in Bisquick

***

LOL, Judge!

• J Hill

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 6m

My understanding is that #Raiders 1st-round CB DJ Hayden’s deal will be signed “real soon.” Haven’t heard of any setbacks.

@Purv

glad you’re back too. I know we’ve had our differences, but I think you’re a solid guy

anyways – I’m not surprised that Becker made things happen. He usually does. He’s always quick to respond to e-mails I send as well

Cork was on vacation for a few weeks. Jerry out almost a full month!

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

RaiderRockstar Says:

if we can give Matt Flynn sometimes we know he can throw touchdowns

he threw six in one game we need wide receivers to get on the same page

***

@willy

the Packers had an AWFUL o-line when Flynn was killing it in Green Bay. He had WR’s who could get open, make the catch and YAC

I agree QB/WR chemistry is important
    ====================================================

Additionally, I don’t think our WR’s suddenly forgot how to run routes last year. OC draws all that up, too.
    Never any excuses for the drops, but badly designed plays factor into it. And Knapp was real good at badly designing and calling plays.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 6m

***

what about the offset language?

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

Oh yeah I forgot to say it was Palmer’s Fault!

• willy91137

The team never knew he would need another operation so that made Reggie start sweating bullets

thinking what the fark am I getting into here.There is an old saying in business

put the money up front and protect your own ass

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

Oh I see RR has a connection to the “Ivory Tower” never mind Purvisman!

Glad to have you back!

• The_Judge37

On the brightside, at least we can unretire our #24 jerseys. Thanks to Tracy Porter for getting punked

• willy91137

Silverandblack666 Says:
    July 25th, 2013 at 8:39 am
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I got on here one time and said some things about Mark Davis and that was it

they never posted it now let’s see if they post this

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Thanks, RR. Likewise.
    With Palmer gone, we should be fine. Unlikely there’ll be anybody else we could be so passionately and diametrically opposed about. Neither one of us will be able to say ‘See, I told you so’ until at least midseason.
    If I’m not mistaken, you and I both think Hayden’s injury will pretty much be a non-issue.

@Purv

Allen & Olson don’t even blame Knapp for EVERYTHING, said a lot of last year had to do with player execution … so I think it’s foolish of us to do that

I hope Olson is much like Gruden as a play caller, but his lack of success everywhere he’s been is a concern to me. Can’t we really believe that the talent he has here this year is better than what he inherited at his last 3 OC stops?

I’m not sure what to think about WR Coach Gilmore. Every WR on the roster seemed to regress last year. Streater & Criner were rookies, so obviously that doesn’t apply to them. I’m mainly referring to Heyward-Bey who was a huge non factor and DMo17 who suddenly had his hands removed

the Lakers host the Heat on Christmas Day

I hope Riley gives James & Wade the day off with their families and you get your asses handed to you by Bosh & crew, lol

• hwnrdr

274.RaiderRockstar Says:
    July 25th, 2013 at 8:50 am
    the Lakers host the Heat on Christmas Day

Funny how you say asses and Bosh in the same sentence!

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

some people say our coach has “Tits”

We are all pretty sure that our punter has a Vag (I could have said cunt but Vag sounded funnier).

Our GM wants to draft religious men instead of psychotic Lyle Alzado types.

Post Al Raiders need to know The QB must go down and go down HARD!!!

Screw Goodell lets get back to hurting people (ever hear Phil Villipiano talk about his special forearm cast he would hit players with)

I am fired up for camp!

• The_Judge37

274.RaiderRockstar Says:
    July 25th, 2013 at 8:50 am
    the Lakers host the Heat on Christmas Day

—–

You know Wade will already be hurt by then anyways

Did anybody participate in Vic Tafur’s twitter chat yesterday?

anything good there?

so Laker fans defend themselves from Dwight Howard’s comments, dismissing him as a headcase … now comes Bynum saying Laker fans don’t stand behind and support their team (ouch!)

then you guys are talking about adding Anthony & Wall next year. Melo says “no thanks” and Wall signs extension with current team

still think LeBron is going there when nobody else wants to??

lol

• The_Judge37

RaiderRockstar Says:
    July 25th, 2013 at 9:00 am
    ———

We stand behind the team, but the Lakers are greater than individual players. We’re not going to go out and burn jersey’s for a guy that played one year. I don’t know anyone even bought a D12 Jersey until we’d be sure he resigned.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

The_Judge37 Says:
    ================================================

Yeah, I’m not real comfortable with the way that went down, based on Porter’s tweets, anyway. He and Woodson should’ve worked it out if that’s SOP.
    As fans we defer to the ex Raider and probable HOFer, but I don’t want any players that don’t think they’re the sh!t and bow to no one. Gotta prove it on the field, but they need that attitude.

MAK @ SandBPride correctly pointed out the psychological distancing from the Raider family in this tweet;

“♌Tracy Porter♌ ‏@TracyPorter 17h

Well you Raiders fans…your guy has 24. It was TAKEN from me and given to him.”

YOU Raider fans…YOUR guy

I know it’s a tempest in a teapot, but, hey, no practices to talk about yet.

• The_Judge37

282. Training Camp barely started and we already have a riff between players, fans and organization.

It’s official, Raiders Football is here!

first fight of training camp: Porter & Woodson?

• guest123

Only 8 picks left unsigned.

7 first round picks and one 4th rounder.

• guest123

Well you Raiders fans…your guy has 24. It was TAKEN from me and given to him.”

YOU Raider fans…YOUR guy

I know it’s a tempest in a teapot, but, hey, no practices to talk about yet.

*******

it’s worth mentioning though. I don’t like the tone. I don’t like the devisiveness of it. I don’t like the reproach of the org or the implied bitterness about being treated unfairly. I can’t tell if he’s joking, but my sarcasm meter is down, so I have to assume he’s venting. He just joined my “irritable prick” list with the punter Kluwe.

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Guest123 Says:
    July 25th, 2013 at 9:15 am
    Only 8 picks left unsigned.

7 first round picks and one 4th rounder.

======================================

Who’s the prima donna fourth-rounder?

@G123

what 4th rounder is left twisting in the wind?

an injured guy, I assume?

I think the only non first rounder to ever “hold out” was Bob Sanders, right? he went to the Colts 44th overall

• RaiderRetribution

Starting Cornerbacks:

Hayden, Porter

Backups:

Jenkins & Adams

Special Teams & 3rd string:

Jones (best gunner on the team) & Chekwa

Safeties will be Woodson & Branch followed by Young , Ross and other.

• guest123

RaiderRockstar Says:
    July 25th, 2013 at 9:12 am
    first fight of training camp: Porter & Woodson?

******
    negative. more than likely L Houston vs “fill in the blank”.

first fight of training camp more than likely L Houston vs “fill in the blank”.

***

@G123

I heard Lamarr made a permanent switch to RDE, so he’ll be squaring off with Veldheer. Can you confirm or deny?

I can’t see anything wanting to fight The Hulk, lol

who is the backup LT, anyway? Alex Barron?

• The_Judge37

284.RaiderRockstar Says:
    July 25th, 2013 at 9:12 am
    first fight of training camp: Porter & Woodson?
    ———

Woodson would take him to the shed.

• theghostronin79

guest123 Says:
    July 25th, 2013 at 9:19 am
    RaiderRockstar Says:
    July 25th, 2013 at 9:12 am
    first fight of training camp: Porter & Woodson?

******
    negative. more than likely L Houston vs “fill in the blank”.

============

Hahahahah YEP……I was gonna say Houston vs Watson.

You know lamaar is gonna pull that rookies chain. I can see Houston mocking his accent’.

British folks HATE that……

@Retribution

you see Adams, Chekwa & Jones all making the team over Joselio Hanson?

not me bro!

• theghostronin79

@G123

=========

Rock,

I hear lamaar was moving all over the place during OTA’s, but spent the majority of the time at LDE with Carter at RDE.

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

RaiderRockstar Says:
    July 25th, 2013 at 9:18 am
    @G123

what 4th rounder is left twisting in the wind?

an injured guy, I assume?

===========================================

Criner held out last year because his agent was an idiot.

@ghost

is Andre Carter the starting LDE, opposite Houston?

if so, I can see him working the rookie Watson with ease. Certainly would need blocking help from a TE

• ElkGRaider

I picture Porter going to his locker and bam, a different number. **crickets** . Everyone looking at their shoes

• hwnrdr

Rockstar…it’s not even basketball season yet! Calm down…lol

• guest123

Criner held out last year because his agent was an idiot.

********

wasn’t that over a few hundred bucks? Yeah I rememeber that whole thing being so trivial, arguing over pocket lint.