Raiders sign Watson, Hayden remains

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Wednesday, July 24th, 2013 at 7:29 pm in Oakland Raiders.

The Raiders announced the signing of second-round draft pick Menelik Watson Wednesday, leaving first-round pick D.J. Hayden as the last member of the draft class who is not under contract.

Watson (6-foot-5, 315 pounds) was the 42nd overall pick out of Florida State and is expected to compete with incumbent Khalif Barnes for the starting job at right tackle when the Raiders begin training camp practices Friday morning.

It is not clear whether Hayden, the No. 12 pick in the first round, is ready to practice following an offseason procedure for scar tissue in his abdomen. Hayden underwent major surgery for a torn inferior vena cava _ a vein leading to his heart _ in November.

Players arrived at training camp Wednesday, although it’s not clear whether everyone is present since coach Dennis Allen doesn’t speak to the media until the club completes its first practice.

Raiders players undergo physicals Thursday and attend meetings in advance of Friday’s first practice.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

RaiderRockstar Says:

Allen & Olson don’t even blame Knapp for EVERYTHING, said a lot of last year had to do with player execution … so I think it’s foolish of us to do that…
    …I’m mainly referring to Heyward-Bey who was a huge non factor and DMo17 who suddenly had his hands removed
    ==================================================

Knapp did so many things that pissed me off that what I considered pretty bad at the time has morphed into perfectly abysmal in hindsight.
    In fairness, every game he’d come up with a couple really good, unexpected, and obviously practiced plays that caught me and the other team totally by surprise. Then he’d revert and piss me off again.
    But it was a perfect storm of predictable play calling, player regression, unfamiliar ZBS, and an injured Brisiel with no better option, and Willie Smith for 9 games. Hard to get an offense untracked with half an OLine.
    It’s hard to be more dissapointed in last season, but imagine if Myers hadn’t stepped up, and KC hadn’t stunk. Ouch!

• theghostronin79

Rock,

That’s just what I read in tweets and Beat writer reporting. Houston L, Carter R

But you know how they experiment in OTA’s. Nobody said anybody was starting anywhere at this point.

I hear lamaar was moving all over the place during OTA’s, but spent the majority of the time at LDE with Carter at RDE.

***

@ghost

thanks bro. I figured as much

the guys on here yesterday were just spewing BS in an attempt to prove a point. go figure

• The_Judge37

298.ElkGRaider Says:
    July 25th, 2013 at 9:25 am
    I picture Porter going to his locker and bam, a different number. **crickets** . Everyone looking at their shoes
    ——–

LOL

Criner held out last year because his agent was an idiot.

***

@Duck

no he didn’t. he signed on the morning of practice day #1 and never missed a thing

• The Big Banana

Screw Goodell lets get back to hurting people (ever hear Phil Villipiano talk about his special forearm cast he would hit players with)

——–

Won’t work in today’s NFL, unfortunately. The already existing Raider stigma plus not abiding by the new Disney rules = many many penalties, fines, and more scrutiny.

Reggie has the right idea, even though its not your pops Raiders anymore.

***

@Purvis

dare we say DJ Hayden might have been selected 1st overall ??

• theghostronin79

============

Yeah, I usually peace out once that happens.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    Criner held out last year because his agent was an idiot.
    =======================================================

And I still think his limited playing time was Reggie sending a message to future draft picks.

• theghostronin79

RaiderRockstar Says:
    July 25th, 2013 at 9:30 am

***

@Purvis

dare we say DJ Hayden might have been selected 1st overall ??

===============

Damn dude……hahaha……..I’d like to think not considering they had Joekel in for a private workout. Either that or Sporano was at Lukes pro day, and GAVE him a private workout there (I forget which). But still

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

RaiderRockstar Says:

@Purvis

dare we say DJ Hayden might have been selected 1st overall ??
    ======================================================

With zero health concerns, Al very well may have. Loved his corners.

• Raidernationdave

Whut up ma beyotches! Another camp has begun.

• theghostronin79

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    July 25th, 2013 at 9:30 am
    Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    Criner held out last year because his agent was an idiot.
    =======================================================

============

Criner had a Rickety ankle….. I rolled my ankle pretty bad and I could feel the pain a good 6 months later, and I’m very active. I rehabbed it and everything.

I remember Criner getting back in the game, and going back on the injured list the following week.

Those little nagging injuries are a BIT*CH…

• hwnrdr

So….Cedrick Ellis to retire from NFL?

• inonewordraider

@ghost

thanks bro. I figured as much

_______
    ?

you were saying how he’d be our rde and he’d be a terror with 8 sacks

don’t know everything others said but someone said it’d be nice if he played inside or at least on passing downs and I agreed he’d be good on passing downs inside with carter and bass playing rde

• willy91137

Reggie told Porter don’t worry we’ll give you number 22 when we cut Jones

that’s what Porter wore last year and the year before Porter would just jab a stick

in Woodson’s anus to make hem Halle they can’t be selling Woodson jerseys

with number 2 on them

• hwnrdr

So, I am hearing Hayden is close to signing…should be today!

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

True, Criner not a hold-out, but he pushed it to the limit for a potential extra 14,000 bucks, or so.
    Hadn’t heard he rolled his ankle.

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

RaiderRockstar Says:
    July 25th, 2013 at 9:25 am
    @ghost

is Andre Carter the starting LDE, opposite Houston?

if so, I can see him working the rookie Watson with ease. Certainly would need blocking help from a TE

==============================================

I think Hunter’s our starting LDE right now. I’d expect Carter to come in on obvious passing downs.

• guest123

Well, since Becker, Cork, or Jerry’s not updating, here is the link for Cork’s noon chat today.

• M.Shorter

guest123 Says:
    July 25th, 2013 at 9:48 am

————-

Thanks man. Keep doing Cork’s job.

• guest123

Mike Miller agrees to a deal with the Grizzlies.

• The Big Banana

ell, since Becker, Cork, or Jerry’s not updating,

———

Cork farts in the blog’s general direction.

• DutchRaider77

221.bcz24 Says:
    July 25th, 2013 at 7:32 am
    15 tackles and 2 picks in 4 starts or so is damn good
    ******
    Sure. But that’s not the truth. He had 15 tackles and 2 picks in 10 games. He had 7 tackles and 2 picks in his 4 starts. Outside of the Denver game (he played very well in that) he was equally as bad as the rest of our secondary.

Like I said. He is a depth guy. If we have to count on him to start games this year, we are in real trouble.

________________________________________________

So he put up Nnamdi Asomugha like numbers? Lol, just kidding, but I remember looking up his stats his final year in Oakland and in 14 starts he only had 17 tackles? No picks…not saying opposing QBs didn’t throw his way or that he didn’t do his job.

• willy91137

Everybody thinks our defensive line is weak but Blink and Bass will both be pleasant surprises

blink IS 300 pounds he could play the nose in the 34 and bass could be a linebacker

let’s see if we see this in preseason

• guest123

5 years after his standout senior bowl Sedrick Ellis retires. Got paid and mentally checked out. No love for the game.

• tonedeezy

“journalists” aren’t supposed to just sit around waiting for PR guys to tell them what the news is…and they aren’t supposed to let random blog addicts do their job for them either.

• M.Shorter

Hope Haydens out there running around at camp.

• guest123

Know what’s in your yogurt? maybe you are eating bugs?

yummmmmmmmm!

• M.Shorter

————-

Preach.

• M.Shorter

Know what’s in your yogurt? maybe you are eating bugs?

yummmmmmmmm!

———

Haha. I wondered what those chunks in my greek yogurt was. Now I know.

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

Without a contract and medical problems? Are you a injury attorney ?
    ______

M.Shorter Says:
    July 25th, 2013 at 9:59 am

Hope Haydens out there running around at camp.

• M.Shorter

@ Mista Brown

Eat sh!t and die.

• M.Shorter

Mista your a waste of a humans life. Dumbass.

• bcz24

Hope Haydens out there running around at camp.
    ******
    That would be odd, considering the rest of the team won’t be out there today, as they are just doing physicals and meetings.

• M.Shorter

———-
    What do you think a physical is?

• guest123

@G123

what 4th rounder is left twisting in the wind?

an injured guy, I assume?

********

the missing 4th rounder is none other than QB Ryan Nassib. HA!

• Marks hair

suck cork..

• 89052RAIDER

The DJ Heyden pick may end up working out, but I do not see the kid being physically ready to make an impact this year. 90% of people who sustain this type of injury die so this situation is unprecedented. I am pulling for DJ, but he may not play until next season.

• theghostronin79

hwnrdr Says:
    July 25th, 2013 at 9:46 am
    So, I am hearing Hayden is close to signing…should be today!

==============

Where did you hear this Hwnrdr?

• M.Shorter

89052RAIDER Says:
    July 25th, 2013 at 10:16 am

——

I guess we will see after his physical.

• guest123

BREAKING NEWS

Hayden signed!

per league source

• guest123

6 first rounders and one 4th rounder (Ryan Nassib) remain unsigned. all Raiders accounted for.

WOOOOO HOOOO!!

• theghostronin79

Serious?………..NICE

• Marks hair

haydens injury is already healed.. the cut they made in his abs is the problem.. but a minor one..

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

From Twitter:

Christopher Hansen
    Hayden’s deal is done. You all can stop freaking now.
    just now from TweetDeck

• guest123

yes, I’m serious. I can’t tweet the link, but trust me it’s a done deal.

• Marks hair

great that neans new post at noon..

• guest123

great that neans new post at noon..

********

noon today or noon tommorow?

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Silverandblack666 Says:

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says

Glad to have you back dude.

So you were banned and you got them to let you back in that is pretty amazing feat who did you email just curious because you always see people like KK threaten to email someone blah blah just wanted the truth so I am asking you?
    ==================================================

Thanx,666.
    Not amazing. Cork will work with you. He11, B@uce’s been banned a handful of times, possibly into the double digits.Probably could have been reinstated almost immediately-6/12-had I persued it, but my first email to Cork was simply “Me? Seriously?” and he may not have even connected the dots. Thought I’d remembered something about 1 or 2 week bans, so I let it slide, feeling (as i still do) I had nothing to apologize for. You know the rest. You can find their emails at bay area news group.
    KK threatening to snitch tells you all you need to know about him.
    Cork said to let him know if anyone’s misbehaving (not as a condition, mind you), but the only way that’s happening is if Dr_Rob goes postal again and starts posting 50 plus nonsensical comments an hour. Hopefully those Adderal fueled outbreaks were strictly an off season phenomenon.