Hayden signs contract; Raiders ready to focus on football

The Raiders signed cornerback D.J. Hayden to a long-term contract Thursday, one day before the team’s first training camp practice in Napa.
Hayden was the 10th and final Raiders 2013 draft pick to sign a contract. The Raiders now have everyone under contract and can get about the business of preparing for the regular season through practices at their away-from-home facility at the Napa Valley Marriott and Redwood Middle School.
The Raiders are undergoing physical examinations and taking part in meetings today in preparation for Friday’s 8:50 a.m. practice.
No word on whether Hayden will be cleared to practice Friday. He missed the tail end of offseason workouts after he underwent surgery to remove scar tissue in his abdomen region. The scar tissue built up as a result of a surgery Hayden underwent in November to repair a ruptured vein that he suffered during a practice at the University of Houston.
Coach Dennis Allen said he expected Hayden to be healed in time for the start of training camp. If Hayden needs more time, he likely will begin training camp on the physically unable to perform list.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• RAIDERMAN99

JFB, I was surprised to see you concede the NL West to JHill’s Dodgers so early.

Mentioned that to JH and he said he wasn’t surprised at all.

Now I know your Giants have been looking atrocious, but they’re still only about 7 out, right ?

I know you know baseball.

7 games is nothing.

Giants still have solid starters, just one spark and the offense could ignite.

Not saying it’s going to happen. Don’t think it will.

But I was surprised to see you throwing in the towel so soon.

You been a RAID fan too long.

• PlunkforHOF

MistaBrown Says:
    July 25th, 2013 at 5:55 pm
    Jay Z didn’t sleep for 2 days after the Zimmerman trial!

I guess black on black murder is Ambien for him.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wow… ugly, ugly thoughts

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

Anybody but Hussein.
    ______

KoolKell Says:
    July 25th, 2013 at 6:04 pm

I’ll never forget BrownStains and Vegas pumping sunshine up Mitt Romney’s azz. Smh.

• Just Fire Baby

Giants are toast.

You can see when things are slipping, and it happened a few weeks ago.

Enough pride maybe to stay relevant for another month or so, but too many games and close games/playoff games over the last 3 years.

They are taxed.

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

Well Plunk, wheres is Jay’s outrage and emotion for the black on black crime ? I don’t get the selective emotion and outrage.

Do you?
    _______

PlunkforHOF Says:
    July 25th, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Wow… ugly, ugly thoughts

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

I dont gossip,about people who are not here, but since he is, I remember JFB assuring everybody that Knapp’s offense would score 30+ per game.

• rudegruden

SnBG Says:
    July 25th, 2013 at 2:37 pm
    Purvis now posts as 4 different bloggers. That I know of.

———
    Thats coming from a guy who abandoned McFadden20 and refuses to admit it.

• Just Fire Baby

Your an idiot if you thought that.

• 0ak r8rs

Not a stretch talent-wise, just health-wise. Don’t think the Raiders were in a position where they could risk taking a player like Hayden.by scorkran 3:59 PM

Do you think Hayden was a stretch pick? Would you have gone DT or DE instead?by KCSam 3:59 PM

Kinda what I’ve been saying for months now.

• RAIDERMAN99

========================================
    I do.

Not that I believe he lost any sleep…

But I get the ‘selective outrage’.

It’s nothing new.

• rudegruden

0ak R8rs Says:
    July 25th, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Kinda what I’ve been saying for months now.

——–
    Agreed. Very surprised with the Hayden pick with him out of football for a year after a devastating injury. I know he was “cleared” to play, but with our roster it was a stretch due to the health.

In addition, with our 2nd pick we took a raw talent offensive lineman who is a high upside and potential bust candidate.

Only time will tell.

• Just Fire Baby

I am more concerned with Watson then Hayden.

Dude is like 25 years old and still learning the game.

I would hope you could dominate against people you were 6 years older than.

• Just Fire Baby

How much “high upside” can Watson have?

When his rookie contract is up, he will be pushing 30.

As an example, Lamarr Houston is going into his 4th year now, and is 6 months older than Watson.

I would say Watson’s age makes him a low upside player.

• 0ak r8rs

We didn’t trade for Flynn, invest time in Pryor, draft Wilson an pick up a “sort of big name” USDA QB camp arm so we could pick up Vick. That might be one of the dumbest things I’ve ever read. Why is that every sort of name player that’s in his way out is projected to land w us? We used to do stuff like that. And it was fun. And sometimes it paid off. But we haven’t done that for years, even w Al. I think we r done w that reclamation project stuff. Teams don’t have time for that stuff anyone.

• Just Fire Baby

The Steelers had this belief I read about years ago, that they wouldn’t draft anyone in the first round over the age of 22 years and 10 months. Believed there was still some physical maturation ahead at that age still.

It was a very Al Davis-esque belief. Get the biggest and most genetically freaked out athletes as possible at the top of your draft.

• Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

FIRE REGGIE NOW.

• 0ak r8rs

This will tell you all you need to know about how much we should worry about anything Florio says:

If Your Site Contains Rumors, Do Your Predictions Have to Be True? West Virginia lawyer Mike Florio publishes Profootballtalk.com, a rumor Web site that gained standing this year when it won advertising from NFL.com. Florio runs an amazing number of breaking stories; his big time-saver is that his stories don’t need to be true. What about his predictions? In September 2007, Florio predicted San Diego general manager A.J. Smith was about to be fired; three months later, Smith got an $11 million contract extension. A month into the season, Florio said “the Raiders are for real” with a good chance to make the playoffs; Oakland finished 4-12. Florio forecast the Bengals, Broncos, Saints, Bears, Rams and Eagles to win their divisions; that is, six of his eight predicted division winners did not even reach the postseason. Florio said Mike Shanahan might get the University of Michigan coaching job — “I am serious, it could happen.” Florio predicted the Rams would win the NFC championship. In mid-September, Florio predicted Tom Coughlin of the Giants would be fired by “sometime in November.”

• 0ak r8rs

Just Fire Baby Says:
    July 25th, 2013 at 6:30 pm
    How much “high upside” can Watson have?

When his rookie contract is up, he will be pushing 30.

I would say Watson’s age makes him a low upside player.

@@@@@@

True. But Watson is a lineman. If he pans out we could easily still get 8 to 10 good years out of him. The lifespan for CBs is much shorter and less predictable. If Hayden misses the whole year on IR, I’d say that a pretty comparable to Watson being 3 years over age right now.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

I’m never bothered by anything the Media says. They didn’t put us in this position.

• RAIDERMAN99

I don’t have much of a problem with either pick.

If RM has DJH rated as the best CB in the draft and is confident he will make a complete recovery – take him.

If he projects Watson to develop into an outstanding RT, even though he’s got less experience and is older than desired – take him.

So we’ll get 7 years out of Watson instead of 10.

In a perfect world you can find a pick without any red flags at all.

But this world isn’t perfect and sometimes you gamble.

Besides, there’s no sure thing in a draft.

I actually like Reggie swinging for the fences with his top 2 picks.

Would have been easier to go the ‘safe’ route.

I just hope he connected.

• RaiderRetribution

OLinemen usually play into their mid-late thirties; Bergstrom was over 25 when we drafted him last year.

With players being UFAs after four years, we need some mature rookies at some positions; speed not a major factor on the OLine.

• Crawfish Joe

Sure hope we get Vick if Philly lets him go. :mrgreen:

PurvisMan :cool: good to see the campaign is over and the excommunication has been overturned. Yes, Cork is a reasonable guy, but it’s weird to think you got tangled up in the WordPress mess. Thanks for the tip from OSU. The claws are in place but of course many other methods have been exhausted. Looked for some comments from a month or so ago, not thoroughly I admit, i remember the moon was waxing gibbous, but regardless they remain classic.

So do the Raiders tarp more seats, fix the plumbing and stay at the O, or do they move to San Diego once the bolts bolt for LA? I’d rather see the plumbing fixed.

Pryor 2013

:mrgreen: :cool: :x :P :twisted: :???: :D

• mcfadden20.

I’m not too worried about Hayden or Watson , I think Watson is a fast learner and he should man that RT for years to come , Hayden should hold up fine , if Raiders were concerned they wouldn’t have signed him yet without putting some kinda injury clause in it

• Just Fire Baby

OLinemen usually play into their mid-late thirties

****************************

Nobody “usually” plays into their mid-late thirties.

• mcfadden20.

Hate posting from Iphone

• mcfadden20.

6-7 great years of Watson would be well worth it

• Crawfish Joe

The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    July 25th, 2013 at 5:23 pm
    If Vick came here, I wouldn’t support the raiders anymore.

=================

Better start packing cuz word on the street is he’s on his way.

• 0ak r8rs

MistaBrown Says:
    July 25th, 2013 at 2:42 pm
    In that case I hope Pryor gets the shaft.

Bye tj the bj!

______

Priesttj12 Says:
    July 25th, 2013 at 2:39 pm

They will definitely lose me as a fan………..period

@@@@@@

Who would it take to get rid of you, brown stains? I’d love to make it a two fer.

• mcfadden20.

Go Raiders ! Go A’s!

• Crawfish Joe

Mcfadden20. Says:
    July 25th, 2013 at 6:57 pm
    Hate posting from Iphone

==========

SnBG20 how the hell are ya? What do you think about Vick coming West to Oaktown?

• mcfadden20.

You guys are ridiculous , hope you guys aren’t over 20 years of age , this is embarrassing

• Just Fire Baby

Khalif Barnes was a 2nd round pick tackle.

Started at LT in playoff games.

Now at age 31, he seems to be about done with his career.

Watson has to be real good, real fast, as his “prime” years are right now.

• mcfadden20.

Childish

• mcfadden20.

Gonna watch A’s game see you guys later

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

I’m thinking Khalif Barnes will do pretty well in the Power scheme. He did before. I think he’s pretty solid.

• Crawfish Joe

KoolKell Says:
    July 25th, 2013 at 6:51 pm

=================

Yes they did.

• 0ak r8rs

Mcfadden20. Says:
    July 25th, 2013 at 6:56 pm

@@@@@@@

Well, sort of:

Hayden kept offset language in the deal, meaning he can’t double-dip if the Raiders cut him before the expiration of the four-year contract and he signs elsewhere.
    Hayden got a signing bonus of $5.88 million and will receive guaranteed training-camp roster bonuses of $379,000 in 2014, $758,000 in 2015, and $1.1 million in 2016. He’ll also get guaranteed base salaries of $405,000 in 2013, $495,000 in 2014, $585,000 in 2015, and $675,000 in 2016.

That’s a pretty big front load on a contract. Which I guess isn’t really a bad thing, and becoming more the norm. But there’s not much risk or cap problems (from what I can see, in no “capologist”) after this year. He’s a pretty easy cut financially and capwise after 2014.

• oldschoolraider

Menelik has been placed on the non football injury list.
    what gives?

• J Hill

Watson doesn’t have normal football miles on him.

He’ll be fine along with old arsse Bergstrom.

• RAIDERMAN99

Let’s say MANZIEL has another outstanding year.

Talking about ON the field.

I’m thinking this kid is going to surprise people with his passing ability this year.

We already know he’s got great feet and superb field vision.

So let’s say he throws it better than people think.

He’s still going to be shorter than ideal.

He’s still going to have character or maturity questions.

Do you take him ?

Most of the opinion on this board says HELL NO.

I take him in a heartbeat.

• Just Fire Baby

Watson doesn’t have normal football miles on him.

He’ll be fine along with old arsse Bergstrom.

***************************

This is an interesting paradigm.

On one hand, you are right, he doesn’t have the added football miles (although he was an athlete, not like he was doing nothing).

On the other hand, you need experience if you are going to start late.

Staring late and lacking experience is a tough obstacle to overcome.

• RaiderRetribution

I can see Hayden being all-pro in three seasonsall-all-pall-prall-pro, I’m hoping we signed him for five years.

• J Hill

Now at age 31, he seems to be about done with his career.

—————————————————————————-

Nonsense!

• Just Fire Baby

Manziel is too entitled to go to Oakland and embrace being the face of a futile franchise.

He would want to leave before he arrived.

• J Hill

Do you take him ?

——————————————————————————

HELL NO

• Just Fire Baby

I believe Barnes will be starting week 1 and plenty of other games this year.

But he ain’t getting any better. You are talking about a guy who started like 60 games in a row at LT for a playoff team.

Those days are long behind him.

• 0ak r8rs

Oldschoolraider Says:
    July 25th, 2013 at 7:08 pm
    Menelik has been placed on the non football injury list.
    what gives?

@@@@@@@@@

Thought this was BS when I first read it. But it’s out there on the Net. I couldn’t find any details either. Shlt.

• 0ak r8rs

RaiderRetribution Says:
    July 25th, 2013 at 7:12 pm

@@@@@@@@@

4. See my post 487

• RaiderRetribution

Having Vick at QB for the Raiders would be an excellent move, getting Tebow as his backup would be awesome.

• 0ak r8rs

RAIDERMAN99 Says:
    July 25th, 2013 at 7:09 pm
    Let’s say MANZIEL has another outstanding year.

Talking about ON the field.

We already know he’s got great feet and superb field vision.

So let’s say he throws it better than people think.

He’s still going to be shorter than ideal.

He’s still going to have character or maturity questions.

Do you take him ?

Most of the opinion on this board says HELL NO.

I take him in a heartbeat.

@@@@@@@@@

Put me in the hell no category. He’s a punk. And he’s small. You think RG3 got smoked last year? Put that little white punk out there and see what happens. (I’m white, I can say that). Haha