Notes, quotes and observations from camp — Day 1

NAPA — The Raiders kicked off the training camp portion of their season Friday, with coach Dennis Allen and his players thrilled to be back in action and one day closer to the regular-season opener.
The players aren’t in full pads yet, so it’s difficult to glean much from the proceedings. However, Allen said that he is satisfied by what he saw from his players in their first practice since mid-June.
“For the first practice, I was pleased with what we were able to get done today,” Allen said. “Obviously, it’s the first step in a long journey, and we’ve got a lot of progress that we’ve got to make and we got a short time to get it done. Guys are working extremely hard to get that done.”
The pads go on Sunday, at which time the intensity will rise and the play more spirited. You can expect to see veteran defensive back Charles Woodson right in the thick of things, even if he is in his 16th season.
“They’re going to have to pull me off the field at times because I love being out there,” Woodson said. “This is a new defense for me, new calls. I want to be out there getting the calls and the communication down anyway. I’m going to work hard. I feel like there’s nobody who will outwork me.”
That’s the kind of talk Allen likes to hear, and it’s coming from the type of player that Allen and general manager Reggie McKenzie want up and down their roster.
How it translates, time will tell. Allen admitted that “all of us have a long way to go.”

– Second-round draft pick Menelik Watson, second-year linebacker Miles Burris and veteran defensive tackle Pat Sims didn’t take part in practice Friday.
Watson and Burris worked with team trainers off to the side, while their teammates went through their paces on two adjacent fields.
Watson is on the non-football-injury list. Sims is on the physically unable to perform list. Coach Dennis Allen said he isn’t sure when either player will be cleared to practice with the team. Allen said both players suffered injuries recently, though he refused to go into detail.
As for Burris, he’s still recovering from offseason knee surgery. He is on the physically unable to perform list.

– Quarterback Terrelle Pryor had a pass intercepted by cornerback Michael Jenkins early in practice. He then rebounded with several well-placed passes, including a deep throw to wide receiver Rod Streater, who made an impressive leaping grab near the goal line despite tight coverage by cornerback Tracy Porter.

– Presumptive starting quarterback Matt Flynn looked sharp Friday, particularly during the 7-on-7 portion of drills.
Time and again, Flynn delivered the ball right on target, be it on short throws, medium routes, crossing routes, whatever. He completed all but one pass during three sessions.

– Rookie quarterback Tyler Wilson’s first training camp practice is one he would rather forget. At one point, he was intercepted three times in a four-pass span.
In Wilson’s defense, safety Cory Nelms made a spectacular play on a well-thrown pass for receiver Conner Vernon down the left sideline. Nelms arrived at the last second, leaped and snared the ball just before Vernon could get his hands on the ball.
Cornerback Joselio Hanson and safety Reggie Smith also registered interceptions. In other drills, Wilson made a handful of nice throws and showed nice zip on his passes.

– Joshua Cribbs practiced as a member of the Raiders for the first time since he signed a contract earlier this year. He still was recovering from a knee injury when he joined the Raiders.
Cribbs ran routes at wide receiver, fielded punts and everything else asked of him throughout the day.

– Second-year player Lucas Nix got the first call at left guard with the first-team offense. Fellow second-year player Tony Bergstrom has been splitting time with Nix at the position as they battle to see who is going to replace Cooper Carlisle.
Jared Veldheer, Stefen Wisniewski, Mike Brisiel and Khalif Barnes manned the four other offensive line spots, from left to right. At one point, Alex Barron replaced Barnes.

– Kaluka Maiava was at the weak-side linebacker spot from the outset. Kevin Burnett also received some reps at that spot. It will be interesting to see how that position shakes out once Burris returns.
Nick Roach was with the first-team defense in the middle, with Sio Moore at the strong-side linebacker spot.

– Receiver Sam McGuffie, an undrafted rookie, also had a rough first day of camp. He dripped two catchable passes during one drill, then collided with safety Chance Casey while attempting to catch a pass on another play.

– Porter is wearing No. 31 after now that veteran safety Charles Woodson received No. 24.
Porter was assigned No. 24 when he signed with the Raiders. Once Woodson arrived, he pushed for the number he wore during his first stint with the Raiders.
At some point, the number was “taken” away from Porter, he said. Woodson said Friday that the fans deserve the credit.
“It was a big deal,” Woodson said. “I got the jersey back in large part because of the fans. A big thank you to the fans for that.”

– Speaking of Woodson, he said he is confident in rookie D.J. Hayden being a successful cornerback in the NFL because of Hayden’s footwork.
Woodson also heard what he was hoping to hear from Hayden during a lengthy conversation with Hayden during the offseason.
“I just asked him if he loved football,” Woodson said. “He said that he did. Really, for a young guy, that’s what you’re looking for, just a guy that loves football. We’re all going to make a lot of money once you get into this league. But what happens after you get the money. Do you still love to play the game? That’s the one thing I got from him, he loves football.”

– Today’s practice marked the first of attended by season-ticketholders. The Raiders granted all season-ticketholders a chance to sign up for the rights to tickets to one practice.

– General manager Reggie McKenzie spoke with a handful of media while Woodson spoke at the podium. Colleague Monte Poole was there for the entire McKenzie session, therefore I won’t steal his thunder in advance of his Sunday column.
However, I will pass along that McKenzie says the Raiders aren’t “too far away” from being a really good team and that he wants to see “good football” this year, first and foremost.

Steve Corkran

• willy91137

if this state ever needed a animal they would the the probe into Los Angeles

THAT IS AHOLE OF THE STATE

• SnBG

RaiderO, DA isn’t a liar.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

I can track a conversation thru’ snow, desert, and jungle, and shoot it down when I catch it.

• Dakota

Raider O Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 9:48 am
    Dakota Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 9:44 am
    Raider O Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 9:41 am
    Willy91137 Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 9:39 am
    Raider O Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 9:36 am
    non-guaranteed contract……very little risk.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    There’s not too many of those in the NFL guaranteed money is how football players get paid

Reggie tried to get Carson Palmer to sign a contract with no guarantees
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

No way a talented player with options will sign a non guaranteed contract.
    +++++++++++

The up front money would be guaranteed as with all contracts…..you poor people think Matt Ryan’s $100 million is fully guaranteed?

If you sign McFadden today you spend less guaranteed money on him than if you wait until next offseason if he has a good year.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

59 million is guaranteed.
    So now you are saying there is guaranteed money?
    You are as wishy washy as the liar titty monkey aka DA.

+++++++++++++++++

Most of the money on a contract for a guy like McFadden is going to be up front in a signing bonus. The team would have options to cut him each year thereafter without paying much more on the contract.

I would think you would know this by now.

• ElkGRaider

McFadden is not a player I would franchise. Too boom/bust. Either you sign him to a 3/4 yr prime years deal or you let him go. He would cost too much on the cap with the franchise tag. I say try to sign him now on the cheap before he blows back up. I think his agent (if he was smart) wants to wait till after this season…

• willy91137

Green Bay Wisconsin owns its football team the streets in the town are named after football coaches and players

season tickets someone has to die and will them to you

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

irjonny Says:
    hey nation…been awhile.
    ======================================================

How you been? Lot of missing commenters showing up!
    Football is back!!

• Dakota

Oakland can’t afford the smallest stadium in the NFL….sorry guys, I would be pissed if I lived in Oakland too.

No one wants to lose their team. Oakland is losing all of them. That sucks.

But the move back to Oakland changed nothing for the Raiders. NFL free agency was just getting started when the Raiders and Rams moved from LA.

My hope would be that all things being equal, a young NFL free agent would choose LA over most other NFL towns which might give us an advantage to win.

I just want to see the Raiders win a SB. Whatever it takes….just win baby!

• willy91137

first season tickets ever had I had to buy them from somebody he had a whole row of seats and I bought two tickets from him every year he would mail me my tickets and I would mail them a check you could buy tickets to a raider game
    unless you got them from a scalper

• SnBG

It would not be worth it right now to sign DMC. Franchising him next yer is not a bad way to go. He hasn’t proved anything so far so his value isn’t there. If he does well this year then he’s worth taking a limited chance on. No team is going to give him major money with his health issues. I might even let him test the market.

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

SnBG Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 9:45 am

I agree, if DMC does well then we can franchise him and try and work out a reasonable contract with him before the deadline. Of course if he gets hurt again this year or doesn’t perform then all of this talk is academic.

=======================================

Disagree. You Franchise him, but make no effort for any kind of long-term deal. That way, if he decides to get hurt and miss 1/2 the year again, you’re not out any future cap space. If he plays well in 2014, then you Franchise him again for 2015. After that, he’ll likely be used up and we can let him walk with no repercussions.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

I would think you would know this by now.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Signing bonus is Guaranteed Money!!!
    I thought you said “non guaranteed”? lol
    You are a wishy washy monkey like DA.

• Dakota

Raider O Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 9:58 am

I would think you would know this by now.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Signing bonus is Guaranteed Money!!!
    I thought you said “non guaranteed”? lol
    You are a wishy washy monkey like DA.
    ++++++++++++++++

Of course you have to pay his salary in the first year….I didn’t know I was talking to someone that needed everything explained to him…..the risk comes in the subsequent years. The Raiders would have outs for the remainder of his contract just as almost all NFL contracts have.

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Dakota: I think Raider O was referring to the cap hit of cutting him a year after a big signing bonus.

• irjonny

If Dmac busts out this year then all the better. Some of you act like RM can manifest any kind of contract he wants and Darren will sign it….non-guaranteed contract? please people, use your heads.

• Dakota

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 10:02 am
    +++++++

Jezuz if you sign him now while his market value is down the cap hit would be less than if you signed him next offseason after a big year and he subsequently needed to be cut.

Come on people.

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

irjonny Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 10:03 am

===================================

That’s why we Franchise him. Either we get the player or the draft picks.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

$$$$$$$$$$$$$

OMG
    LOL
    And that’s my original point. You don’t know what kind of player you are getting this season, so it’s too risky to pay him all that guaranteed money.
    It’s not rocket science.

• irjonny

also if darren does well this year and goes elsewhere what’s the big deal? he isn’t the only RB in the NFL or college.

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Dakota Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 10:04 am

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 10:02 am
    +++++++

Come on people.

=========================================

And what if we sign him to a long-term deal and he does his “Someone coughed on me so I’m out six games” shtick again? The guy’s too risky.

• Dakota

I understand that many of you hate McFadden and can’t use your heads when discussing him.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

$$$$$$$$$$$

Thats because you are taking a lot of unnecessary risk this year.

• irjonny

here’s the thing. we have more than enough cap space next year to offer competitive contracts to ANY of next years free agents. if dmac takes an offer elsewhere he will be way over-payed or he didn’t WANT to be raider. next man up

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Dakota Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 10:08 am

=======================================

Oh, come off it. Nobody “hates” McFadden.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Dakota Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 10:08 am
    $$$$$$$$$$$

I like DMC. He is the best player on the team when healthy. Is he healthy?

• Dakota

Raider O Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 10:08 am
    $$$$$$$$$$$

Thats because you are taking a lot of unnecessary risk this year.
    _____________

A little gamble now could pay off for the next 3-4 seasons.

If you think McFadden can never get on track then I see your point.

I still have faith in his abilities.

• Dakota

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 10:09 am
    Dakota Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 10:08 am

=======================================

Oh, come off it. Nobody “hates” McFadden.
    +++++

LMAO….this your first day on this blog?

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

A little gamble now could pay off for the next 3-4 seasons.

If you think McFadden can never get on track then I see your point.

I still have faith in his abilities.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I don’t know if he will, and that’s why I rather play it safe, see what he does this season, and if he is back to his old form then give him a big contract. Minimizing risk is more important than maximizing profits to me. Finance 101.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

irjonny Says:
    ======================================================

Hey, maybe Murry/Stewart become the best tandem in football. Who knows? It is kool aid season.
    But when he’s on, DMac is scary good. He was on fire early ’11.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Dakota Says:
    LMAO….this your first day on this blog?
    ======================================================

Hah! If you’re not singing someones praises, youi’re a ‘hater’ with an ‘agenda’!
    You need two mental gears for this blog.
    Morning speed, and afternoon speed.

• SnBG

I wish DMC well, I hope he has a good year for ours and his sake.

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Dakota Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 10:11 am

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 10:09 am
    Dakota Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 10:08 am

=======================================

Oh, come off it. Nobody “hates” McFadden.
    +++++

LMAO….this your first day on this blog?

=====================================

Hardly. Show me one post where anyone says or demonstrates that they hate DMac (MistaBrown, Fangs, and Oakfasho don’t count, as they can’t reasonably be considered “people”).

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Raider O Says:
    Thats because you are taking a lot of unnecessary risk this year.
    =======================================================

How much, really? He’s already getting like 10 million, isn’t he?

• Dakota

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 10:18 am
    Dakota Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 10:11 am

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 10:09 am
    Dakota Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 10:08 am

=======================================

Oh, come off it. Nobody “hates” McFadden.
    +++++

LMAO….this your first day on this blog?

=====================================

=============

I have a list…..don’t make me post it!

I have to run, I can’t waste my Saturday trying to talk sense into you guys.

• 0ak r8rs

The McFadden thing will work itself out. If he has a great year, we have the money to sign him. Or we can let him test the market. Running backs r about the least important skill position player in the NFL these days. We can replace him w Murray and add another RB in next years draft. Look at all the rookies that had huge years last year?

If he gets hurt again, or has the same production as last year, then we cut him loose.

I don’t think franchising him is a good idea. It’s a sucker play. Have to pay him based on top 5 running backs pay in the league. He’s only shown he can be that one year, before the Lis Franc.

• irjonny

Dmac is very good when healthy. But there are only a handful of feature backs in the league that have been retained with good contracts. Peterson, foster, johnson, come to mind. Mcfadden to this point is not in the same game as any of them. Im not saying let him go, but considering him a franchise type player is a reach at best imo

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Duck, Duck, Duck, I think it was tongue in cheek. This is the AM crew. Need to shift gears. Itgets all too literal in the PM, when flyby’s arent allowed.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 10:23 am
    Raider O Says:
    Thats because you are taking a lot of unnecessary risk this year.
    =======================================================

How much, really? He’s already getting like 10 million, isn’t he?
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I’m not sure how much he is getting now, but its the last year of his rookie contract before the new CPA, so I’m assuming its a lot.

• SilverLining20

Good or bad, I’m pretty sure this is DMac’s farewell season with The Raiders.
    Hope he goes out with a bang.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

O, yeah, its around 10 mil, both salary and cap hit.

• irjonny

training camp 2:20pm today with media access

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Don’t remember if it was ’10 or ’11, but we were going in to game one with Bush as the projected starter, ‘cuz McFadden had been nursing a sore something all pre season.
    Given what DMac had done so far, I was looking forward to it. Then Bush broke his thumb, DMac started, and it was like ‘who needs to practice? Just give me the ball’.
    Kinda funny, actually.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

irjonny Says:
    training camp 2:20pm today with media access
    ==============================================

Complete TC schedule at:

• RaidO

SilverLining20 Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 10:29 am
    Good or bad, I’m pretty sure this is DMac’s farewell season with The Raiders.
    Hope he goes out with a bang.
    ——————-

This like a “career year” for DMAC. He will be 26 years old before the season starts. He needs a year like 2011 without getting hurt.

• willy91137

The biggest problem with McFadden is he is injury prone people said before we drafted him that he did not look like a running back he doesn’t have the heavy hips and the big legs

nobody knew what to do with him until Hugh Jackson got here and he asked him what he wanted

he might make 16 games this year if they don’t run him to death

he would not let them shoot him up but he might this year but in this offense

the running back is always in the game

• tonedeezy

Baron Davis was always considered to be injury prone…til he ended up on a history-making team. he ended up playing injury-free the next season.

just say’n that sometimes guys play through injuries, somtimes they don’t.

• tonedeezy

also, mcfaden has hella skinny chicken legs.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

From Levi.
    Practice began at 8:50am and shortly after, practice was opened up to the season ticket holders who had chosen today for their glimpse of the Raiders in training camp. They were actually on the field before we were invited in.

Cool. Been wondering about some of the Raider’s PR moves lately, but letting the fans in before the media is OK in my book.

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

So practice for today begins in a little over three hours. Good.

• Marks hair

why aren’t they tweeting from practice?