Gurode signing has several potential meanings

NAPA — Now that the Raiders made official the signing of offensive lineman Andre Gurode, we’re left figuring out what it means in the long run.
Coach Dennis Allen likely will shed some light on the situation later this afternoon, once the Raiders conclude their second practice. Until then, we’re left to connect the dots.
Given the Raiders had 20 or so people watching Gurode’s workout yesterday, it’s likely they view Gurode as more than a player that can provide depth and experience.
So, let’s go over the scenarios:
1. The Raiders aren’t sold on Lucas Nix and Tony Bergstrom as candidates for the left guard spot created by the departure of veteran Cooper Carlisle.
Nix and Bergstrom have yet to start a game at left guard in the NFL, though Bergstrom made one start at right guard late last season.
If this scenario holds true, the Raiders now have the option of taking a look at Gurode at left guard — he played guard for the Baltimore Ravens in 2011 — or moving Stefen Wisniewski from center back to left guard, where he played his rookie season.
2. The Raiders think Wisniewski is a better left guard than center. If so, this makes the Gurode signing a no-brainer, given the Raiders lack another proven center on their roster. Oh, and Gurode is a five-time Pro Bowler.
Remember, current Raiders offensive line coach Tony Sparano was with Gurode from 2003-07, when both were with the Dallas Cowboys. So, there’s no guessing as to what Gurode can do at center.
3. The Raiders aren’t sure whether Mike Brisiel is going to be much better, if any, than he was at right guard last season. Having Gurode on the roster gives the Raiders another viable option for a right guard.
Time will tell, of course. Or, perhaps Gurode and/or Allen will tell today after practice, when the media get their first shot at finding out what’s behind the Gurode signing.

Steve Corkran

• papertiger418

Blurst!

• papertiger418

Sparano must be desperate to reach out to this guy!

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

SnBG Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Bergs was considered one of the best ZBS gaurds in the draft but he himself doesn’t really understand why he got labeled as a ZBS guy. He has said he played a lot of pro scheme and in fact he has said they were really a pro scheme line in collage. Plus the Raiders drafted him to be the LG.

======================================

We’ll know more about the LG and TE situations today. If Bergs is the starting LG today, it means he and Nix are fighting it out and someone just had to run with the #1’s yesterday. If it’s Nix again, it means he’s the starter for now.

Same thing with TE and Gordon.

• 0ak r8rs

0ak R8rs Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 1:48 pm
    SilverLining20 Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 1:45 pm
    Got the hookup on the Nike jerseys.
    Puttin my money and faith in Hayden for my home black.
    Away white..Kluwe, Pryor, Houston, FLYNN??

@@@@@@@

It’s your money, dude. But there r only two punters jerseys I would ever consider wearing. And Kluwe wouldn’t be one of them. Haha

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

SnBG Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 1:47 pm

As far as Gordon I don’t see him being a starter on this team at all.

======================================

You’re thinking Kasa or Rivera?

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

0ak r8rs Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 1:49 pm

=======================================

So you’re a Danny White fan?

• 0ak r8rs

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 1:50 pm
    0ak r8rs Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 1:49 pm

=======================================

So you’re a Danny White fan?

@@@@@@

Lmao. Yea. Him and Zoltan Mesko. You got it.

• SilverLining20

0ak R8rs Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 1:49 pm
    0ak R8rs Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 1:48 pm
    SilverLining20 Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 1:45 pm
    Got the hookup on the Nike jerseys.
    Puttin my money and faith in Hayden for my home black.
    Away white..Kluwe, Pryor, Houston, FLYNN??

@@@@@@@

—-
    Hahaha.
    I wouldn’t actually buy any punter’s jersey. Seabass is the only special teamer I’d buy. Well, maybe Pryor also.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Raiders for life
    Responded to your ‘Defend rural America’ comment on the previous post not knowing Cork had woken up.
    Don’t want to bore everybody here.
    Other than with my football takes.

• RAIDERMAN99

I think Cork read my post about the Gurode signing.

Spurred him into action.

• Beeeeeech Dawg N Full Effect

Brahs, the Dawg is trying to get hella pumped for training camp, but he’s totally heartbroken over breaking up with his girlfriend Monique

Tried plugging this super hot MILF in the rear end (bareback) and just ended up crying on my waterbed after mayonnaise explosion

Gonna plug in my 4 track and try to write some lyrics to express all the emotions in my head

Same way Strawberry Fields Forever was written, shout out to MLK

TAKIN’ A WALK DOWN MISERY LANE

• 0ak r8rs

SilverLining20 Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 1:53 pm
    0ak R8rs Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 1:49 pm
    0ak R8rs Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 1:48 pm
    SilverLining20 Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 1:45 pm
    Got the hookup on the Nike jerseys.
    Puttin my money and faith in Hayden for my home black.
    Away white..Kluwe, Pryor, Houston, FLYNN??

@@@@@@@

—-
    Hahaha.

@@@@@

I hope priest doesn’t see that Pryor reference. He will lose his mind. That’s his son, you know?

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Blanda and Guy.

• 0ak r8rs

No. Lechler and Guy. I’d wear a Blanda jersey. But he was before my time and I consider him more of a QB or place kicker if I’m not mistaken?

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Oops. Right, he was a place kicker.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

Funny but haven’t we been debating those exact things in here since this signing took place.

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Joe Theismann was a punter in the CFL. His sole NFL punt was a one-yarder in a regular season game.

• SnBG

SnBG Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 1:51 pm
    Maybe domination is a little strong. But he doesn’t seem to be doing ANYTHING. And there r positions on this line up for grabs. It’s not like we have a line full of pro bowlers. And to me it’s not as much about “why isn’t he dominating” it’s more about “kinda saw this coming.”
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Not sure what you thought you saw coming. Bergs played a lot of power in a power offense in collage at T. He transitioned into the NFL as a LG in the ZBS. The ZBS is a lot harder for a rookie to pick up than the power scheme. This is really his first year in a scheme he understands with a great O line coach. Jeese,,,,give the guy a break.

• SilverLining20

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Hate that guy.

• Beeeeeech Dawg N Full Effect

So the Dawg smoked a doobie, changed into a fresh tank top, and started writing a jam to express his emotions

Think this captures his mood, imagine it going along with a laid back drumbeat, some DJ scratching, and 3 nubian ladies chanting Ohhh Laa La La Laa while rubbing each other’s va-jay-jays:

What a week for the good ‘ol Dawg
    Never been so sad, can’t console the Lawg (his weiner)
    Been dumped by his girlfriend
    She left him high and dry
    Now the Dawg’s left wondering
    Why, JC …. Why?
    Don’t wanna dance or rap or sing
    Don’t wanna stroke the Lawg or any such thing
    Hopefully soon he’ll get his mojo back
    And start porking more hizzies
    Cause not gettin’ laid is wack

(rapped to the tune of night before christmas)

HANDKERCHIEFS N THE HOUSE

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

SilverLining20 Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Hate that guy.

======================================

Relax. Chill. Have a bottle of Super Beta Prostate.

• SilverLining20

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 2:05 pm
    SilverLining20 Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Hate that guy.

======================================

Relax. Chill. Have a bottle of Super Beta Prostate.
    —-
    Lmao.

• 8RaiderReign8

If the o-line is shaky I personally feel Pryor is the better option for moving the chains.

• SilverLining20

Wonder if Keenan Allen wore his Raider cap to training camp.

• 8RaiderReign8

I do like the fact we have a proven o-line coach with experience.

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

8RaiderReign8 Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 2:11 pm

I do like the fact we have a proven o-line coach with experience.

================================

As opposed to that idiot first-timer Frank Pollack? Ugh.

• 0ak r8rs

Silverandblack666 Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 2:02 pm

@@@@@@@

Yea. Our faithful leader. Day late and a dollar short as usual.

• 8RaiderReign8

As opposed to that idiot first-timer Frank Pollack? Ugh.
    _______________________

Nap time wasn’t helping us any. Those sweep plays reminded me of a retarded Lombardi.

• 0ak r8rs

SnBG Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 2:03 pm
    SnBG Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 1:51 pm
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

@@@@@@@@@

I’m not thumping the drum. I’m just saying, he’s not impressing me. And more importantly doesn’t seem to be impressing anyone else either. Not giving up on the guy.

Ravens TE Dennis Pitta out at least 6 weeks.

so i’m guessing they’ll sign Visanthe Shiancoe, who visited with them yesterday?

• J Hill

He signed with the Chicago Bears in 2012 but didn’t play any regular-season games.

——————————————————————————

I’m going to pump the brakes on this guy.

Let’s go Nix!!!!

• 0ak r8rs

RaiderRockstar Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 2:17 pm
    Attn: Carson Palmer leg humpers

@@@@@@@

It does suck AZ got both of those guys. But at least they aren’t even in our conference. They can’t hurt us. And Palmer will find a way to lose no matter what you surround him with.

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

J Hill Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 2:20 pm

——————————————————————————

I’m going to pump the brakes on this guy.

Let’s go Nix!!!!

================================

Ideally, I’d like to see Nix and Bergs at the starting guard spots, with Gurode backing up everywhere on the interior line.

• SnBG

Don’t be jealous RRS.

Report: Gerald Henderson, Bobcats near three-year deal

Report: Bulls, Rockets now front-runners for Camby (Heat not so much)

Lakers sign Elias Harris to a two-year contract

Greg Oden might choose a rebuilding team for his comeback where there would be ‘less pressure’

Report: Bucks closing in on signing Gary Neal

Andrew Goudelock signs one-year deal to play in Russia

Suns trade Luis Scola to the Pacers for Gerald Green, 2014 first round pick

Heat, other teams show interest in Mo Williams

• SnBG

Don’t be jealous Oak

• 0ak r8rs

@@@@@@@

Not this year. Briesel is gonna have a bounce back year. Only left guard up for grabs. Or center depending on what they do w Wiz I guess.

• J Hill

Ideally,

I’d like to see Veldheer-Nix-Wiz-Barnes-Watson.

Not too sure about Bergs AND Nix staring.

• 0ak r8rs

SnBG Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 2:23 pm
    Don’t be jealous Oak

@@@@@@@@@

True. We got Andre Jarod or whatever the hell his name is. Couldn’t be happier. Haha

• SnBG

@@@@@@@@@

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    He hasn’t even played that much. BTW, he did quite well at T in college.

• Al_is_theraiders

nice shot at shrek…palmer on pft

Palmer summed up his feelings succinctly: ”Shocked, excited, happy. That’s when you know your organization is trying to win football games now — today.”

on the cards bringing starting fa not the krapp shrek brought in…

• SnBG

If and it’s a mighty big if they moved Wiz from C to G then Gurode would most likely start at C.

new post

• 0ak r8rs

SnBG Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 2:26 pm
    @@@@@@@@@

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    He hasn’t even played that much. BTW, he did quite well at T in college.

@@@@@@@@

Obviously or he wouldn’t have gotten drafted in the first place. But he was projected as a guard in the NFL. I have reservations about drafting a guy that mos people already know isn’t good enough to play the position in the NFL the he played in college. I know it’s certainly int unprecedented. But it seems to me it would be a good rule to avoid that sort nothing entirely of you could.

• Beeeeeech Dawg N Full Effect

Brahs, any of you ever cry so hard over an ex girlfriend that you squirt hot diarrhea into your Fruit O the Looms?

Yeah, me neither

STRAIGHT UP BUMMIN’

• RAIDERMAN99

J Hill Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 1:39 pm
    99,

In other words, if Flynn isn’t good enough to play in the red zone or 3rd downs, then start the guy who is.

I just can’t get my arms around pulling your starter for any other reason than he sucks.
    ===============================================
    You need longer arms then.

Acknowledging that there are circumstances in which it would be beneficial to have TP on the field rather than FLYNN, doesn’t necessarily mean that FLYNN sucks.

Just that there are times when TP can help this team, even if he’s not starting.

TP is superior in converting 3rd downs with his legs. His ability to extend a play could be a difference maker in the red-zone. People cry about TP throwing across his body and the field on his SD TD pass. I thought it was a thing of beauty.

Flynn might be superior in moving the offense with better reads and quick, accurate short and intermediate passes. I’m pretty sure TITS thinks this is the case and is more comfortable with MF running the offense.

Listen, Flynn is going to get his shot.

Read Tits’ comments about TP needing to improve on his reads first, and playing within a structured offense first – and using his athleticism later.

Yeah, there’s a QB competition – but it’s FLYNN’S job to lose.

I agree that it would be better to have one guy on the field at all times that can do it all.

That might not be the reality at this time though.

• SnBG

Briesel was injured last year. He will get the nod to start along with Hulk,Bergs,Wiz and Barnes

• 8RaiderReign8

We don’t talk about the o-line enough.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

RAIDERMAN99 Says:
    …That means not only having ‘packages’ for TP, but more importantly – making sure TP isn’t expected to run the same exact offensive scheme and design as MATT FLYNN….
    =======================================================

If he can’t run the same scheme albiet not as well(or he’d be the starter), wouldn’t that minimize his ‘package”s effectiveness? I mean the defense cheats up to contain respecting his legs and he tosses a routine Flynn slant pattern for a first. Then the next time he’s in, he’s more dangerous. And down the road other D coordinators know he can do it as well.
    I guess what I’m saying is otherwise it’s like bluffing every time and that won’t fly.
    Maybe I’m just skeptical of certain situational packages, like taking DMac out and putting Taiwan Jones in who everybody knows can’t block so he’s probably getting the ball and even if he isn’t, won’t stop anyone from getting to the
    QB.
    And maybe this is why nobody’s paying me for my football ingenuity.